• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Any love for Vergil at all?

Domenic93

Why must you both ruin my good guy image? Why must there be a stupid plot twist?? If everyone sees it coming, what's the point?? Argh, now I'm just agitated. Oh, well. At least Vergil had an interesting introduction. Both masked and unmasked.
because it's ninja theory they're the M. Night of the gaming world were if there's something they can put a twist on they do it.just look at enslaved, the ending doesn't jell with the rest of the game.

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
hmm do i like Vergil?
29383780_m.jpg

you tell me? :D

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Wait till the Devil May Cry movie that Screen Gems (same company as the Resident Evil films) is making. God help us all. After all, Devil May Cry was made after a direction change in the development of Resident Evil 4. It seems fitting, in some sick twisted way, that Devil May Cry would be forced down the same road of mediocrity as its parent series. Time to play the perfect Metal Gear Solid series again. The last untainted videogame franchise ..

What about Metal Gear Rising?

And my untainted you mean has not gotten a movie adaptation?

KtWtWiS43

What about Metal Gear Rising?

And my untainted you mean has not gotten a movie adaptation?

Metal Gear Rising hasn't come out yet hahaha. So technically I'm just talking about the games up until 4. And yah I'm talking a little about the movies, but mostly that the entire Metal Gear Solid series is a creation of utter perfection that it will help soothe my misgivings about where my other favorite series are headed.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Metal Gear Rising hasn't come out yet hahaha. So technically I'm just talking about the games up until 4. And yah I'm talking a little about the movies, but mostly that the entire Metal Gear Solid series is a creation of utter perfection that it will help soothe my misgivings about where my other favorite series are headed.

You can say that about DmC.

But what about Metal Gear Rising it appears to be nothing like the Metal Gear Solid you've become a fan of and unlike DMC to DmC is a totally different genre from its parental series and is even so different in story telling...it looks more like Platinum Games type story telling rather than Kojima type story telling (not that is a bad thing if you thought Vanquish, Bayonetta, & past Platinum/Clover games even past Capcom games made by the same people had good story telling and just as good as MGS.....or isn't much of a MGS fan......like me).

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
because it's ninja theory they're the M. Night of the gaming world were if there's something they can put a twist on they do it.just look at enslaved, the ending doesn't jell with the rest of the game.

It just needed more explanation.

But what about Metal Gear Rising it appears to be nothing like the Metal Gear Solid you've become a fan of and unlike DMC to DmC is a totally different genre from its parental series and is even so different in story telling...it looks more like Platinum Games type story telling rather than Kojima type story telling (not that is a bad thing if you thought Vanquish, Bayonetta, & past Platinum/Clover games even past Capcom games made by the same people had good story telling and just as good as MGS.....or isn't much of a MGS fan......like me).

Its more of an apple and oranges type thing as MGS as a story and continuity is more filled out and developed than DMC that you have a better sense of what can be done and what can be done in a MGS where DMC is more vague.

Plus MGR isn't a reboot so it doesn't have the notoriety of one and feels more like a natural extension in both story and game-play. MGS has always OTT so the change isn't as jarring in gameplay as Raiden as a character is superhuman so you have to feel like one.

The story is being handled by Kojima productions while platinum is handling the gameplay so it feels like an extension of themes brought up in MGS4 such as War is changing in ways people cant predict.

So its less out of the left field than the reboot is.

I would say the reboot is built more for a movie adaptation than the old series were.

Bu than again it is possible to film the old series, you would just have to spruce it up as its not as cohesive as it could be plus its odd sequence betrays that the development team has no idea what to do with it.

you would look at recent marvel films or hellboy as inspiration.

Domenic93

It just needed more explanation.

I mean the more recent M Night Shamalamalan the one that wrote and directed the last airbender and from signs up, were it shows that his previous films were just flukes or he peaked to soon. and about enslaved, I think Yahtzee says it best

the important part i'm talking about is is at 4:40

KtWtWiS43

I'm kind of confused what you're asking. How I can be a fan of Rising and in the same respect, not be a fan of the new DmC? Well first off, I'm not exactly a huge fan of Rising. I prefer the sneaking around to the insane action I've seen from the trailers, but Rising isn't a reboot. It's a spin off story, while DmC is a total reboot of the entire Devil May Cry series. I can handle Rising more because it isn't so radical from the original story. Whether that will be a good story is yet to be told, for both games I'd say

Nelo The Great

I think I may be alone here, but I personally had no problem with the portrayal of Vergil. I had no qualms with his voice either; I think he is meant to sound more sophisticated and put-together than Dante is and to me, they achieved this. People are comparing this Vergil to the original Vergil, and I get it, it's inevitable, but also you have to remember this is a reboot, a re-imagining of the characters. The creators are allowed to portray them in whichever way possible. Vergil always had his stuff together and was always more calm and collected than Dante, and it seems that aspect of his personality is still intact.

As far as Vergil's arc, I believe he is working with Mundus the entire time. Perhaps due to corruption by Mundus himself, or by his own accord. Perhaps he is using Dante to defeat Mundus and is planning to usurp Mundus' power. Then again the arc could be Vergil's fall from grace. Either way, I'm optimistic for the game and I'm glad Ninja Theory have the testicular fortitude to try something different.
I have found myself very pleased with the new portrayal of vergil.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I'm kind of confused what you're asking. How I can be a fan of Rising and in the same respect, not be a fan of the new DmC? Well first off, I'm not exactly a huge fan of Rising. I prefer the sneaking around to the insane action I've seen from the trailers, but Rising isn't a reboot. It's a spin off story, while DmC is a total reboot of the entire Devil May Cry series. I can handle Rising more because it isn't so radical from the original story. Whether that will be a good story is yet to be told, for both games I'd say

I never asked that.

Firstly, when I said "You can say that about DmC" it was a reply to saying Rising hasn't come out yet since your judging DmC before it came out and I'm judging Rising before it came out.

You said "Metal Gear Solid series is a creation of utter perfection that it will help soothe my misgivings about where my other favorite series are headed."

So where does Rising fall under as your category of the Metal Gear Solid Series?

So I said unlike DMC to DmC where the story is different but the gameplay still remains the same and has its DMC aspects MGR to MGS though the story telling seems the same but it still has that Platinum feel maybe its the graphics and insane cinematics Platinum is known for contradictory to past MGS games being more realistic the gameplay is nothing like MGS since all together its a different type of genre (MGS being stealth based strategy while Rising is an action hack n' slash). I wasn't asking a question just making.

Also, just because its a spin off doesn't mean it can't turn into its own series. Spin-off series.

KtWtWiS43

I never asked that.

Firstly, when I said "You can say that about DmC" it was a reply to saying Rising hasn't come out yet since your judging DmC before it came out and I'm judging Rising before it came out.

You said "Metal Gear Solid series is a creation of utter perfection that it will help soothe my misgivings about where my other favorite series are headed."

So where does Rising fall under as your category of the Metal Gear Solid Series?

So I said unlike DMC to DmC where the story is different but the gameplay still remains the same and has its DMC aspects MGR to MGS though the story telling seems the same but it still has that Platinum feel maybe its the graphics and insane cinematics Platinum is known for contradictory to past MGS games being more realistic the gameplay is nothing like MGS since all together its a different type of genre (MGS being stealth based strategy while Rising is an action hack n' slash). I wasn't asking a question just making.

Also, just because its a spin off doesn't mean it can't turn into its own series. Spin-off series.

Metal Gear Solid is a completely perfect series. Well not completely but pretty damn close! Metal Gear Rising essentially isn't a part of the series proper, so MGS remains perfection in my eyes. As for Rising, I'm not sure what to think yet! But I'm kind of worried what it means for the story considering that Raiden's story seemed wrapped up after MGS4. I'm not sure yet if bringing him back as a cyborg ninja is a good thing or not, but I'll just have to wait and see if they can pull it off

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Metal Gear Solid is a completely perfect series. Well not completely but pretty damn close! Metal Gear Rising essentially isn't a part of the series proper, so MGS remains perfection in my eyes. As for Rising, I'm not sure what to think yet! But I'm kind of worried what it means for the story considering that Raiden's story seemed wrapped up after MGS4. I'm not sure yet if bringing him back as a cyborg ninja is a good thing or not, but I'll just have to wait and see if they can pull it off

I think Mario, Legend of Zelda, & Pokemon is a completely perfect series.

KtWtWiS43

No it's not....
I was using Metal Gear Solid as an example of a series that I feel is exemplary of the top tier action, gameplay, graphics, voice acting, and storytelling that I expect from my games, and have only found in MGS. The point was that I was knocking the DmC reboot and the Resident Evil movies for their lack of quality, so it wasn't my intention to get off topic talking about Metal Gear Solid in a Devil May Cry forum.

But alright, I'll bite. What are your thoughts on why the Metal Gear Solid series just doesn't measure up for you?

true vergil fan

I don't aprove of the DmC, I was willing to give it a chance even though they changed dante's looks, but thats not even the issue. It's so different that you can't even call it devil may cry anymore. And the new vergil is nothing like the original, his entire personality is different, he dosen't even deserve to be called vergil. The original vergil wouldn't be hideing behinde a mask he took mundus on knowing full well he didn't have the strength, he was ruthless, fearless, and merciless. He would do anything for power and cut down any who stood in his way. He didn't care about the future of mankind, they were all worthless incects in his eyes. And he would never ask dante for help, he was far to proud for that, he'd rather die than admit he needed help. And it seams like ninja theory is doing everything that true devil may cry fans don't want. My hope was after DMC4, that they'd make a DMC5 and explain what the hell happened to vergil and why yamato was broken.

KenKen

Gorram Browncoat
I don't aprove of the DmC, I was willing to give it a chance even though they changed dante's looks, but thats not even the issue. It's so different that you can't even call it devil may cry anymore. And the new vergil is nothing like the original, his entire personality is different, he dosen't even deserve to be called vergil. The original vergil wouldn't be hideing behinde a mask he took mundus on knowing full well he didn't have the strength, he was ruthless, fearless, and merciless. He would do anything for power and cut down any who stood in his way. He didn't care about the future of mankind, they were all worthless incects in his eyes. And he would never ask dante for help, he was far to proud for that, he'd rather die than admit he needed help. And it seams like ninja theory is doing everything that true devil may cry fans don't want. My hope was after DMC4, that they'd make a DMC5 and explain what the hell happened to vergil and why yamato was broken.
Well, welcome to the forums and all.
But this will kind of be an origin story for this universe's Dante and Vergil. It'll show Dante becoming a wise-cracking jester and Vergil becoming a power-hungry stoic. All due respect I actuallly hope they add more depth to his character than they did in DMC3...

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
I like this Vergil, I don't think he takes away anything from the original Vergil from DMC3. If anything I think they're going to explore fuether into his character, maybe dive more into why he might want power like KenKen said. But I hope as well it might give us a sense that Vergil does care for his brother on some level, just that his need to get rid of the demons and whatever he has planned next comes first. You could definitely see Vergil as the sort to not let anyone get in his way, including family.
And it's not just Dante who's going to grow as a character, but possibly Vergil as well. I think it's good they put some humanity in him, even though it's been clearly stated he's calculative to the point that he would deem people of his own Order expendable if it meant saving the the greater good.

And we've only seen him in one trailer for a few moments. We should keep a more open mind on that character before we judge him entirely, because there's probably a lot more going on below the surface than Vergil's letting on or that we've seen yet. To think if he can cast Kat off like that, despite all those years of her being loyal toThe Order and him, you have to wonder what else Vergil could be capable of.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
And the new vergil is nothing like the original, his entire personality is different, he dosen't even deserve to be called vergil.
It's your fault for thinking that Vergil's personality from DMC3 will be 100% the same as DmC Vergil. This is a re-imagining of the franchise, not a remake. Some of DMC's Vergil's traits still remain intact. He's cold, cruel, cunning and with the added benefit of being less one-dimensional.

The original vergil wouldn't be hideing behinde a mask he took mundus on knowing full well he didn't have the strength, he was ruthless, fearless, and merciless. He would do anything for power and cut down any who stood in his way. He didn't care about the future of mankind, they were all worthless incects in his eyes. And he would never ask dante for help, he was far to proud for that, he'd rather die than admit he needed help.
Vergil went head-on against Mundus because he had nothing else to lose. You make it seem as if Vergil's an idiot, which he's not. Do you really think Vergil would have charged straight into Mundus' lair if he knew where it was? Vergil may be stubborn but he's also smart. I'm sure you know why he erected that goddamned tower in the first place. It's because he wanted power. He knew that his power was lacking and wanted more. If he was as ruthless, fearless, and merciless as you made him out to be, he wouldn't have had helped Dante beat Arkham, he wouldn't have had let Dante off so easily after meeting for the first time and he sure as hell wouldn't have had worked with Arkham even if he was using him. You're simply looking at the surface of things. Ponder upon their speeches and actions and understand what they mean, not simply accept them.

And it seams like ninja theory is doing everything that true devil may cry fans don't want.
The amount of poppycock in this sentence is simply overwhelming.

EllDawn

I, for one, do like the new Vergil. I like the original, too. One thing this one has that he didn't, is a sense that he's more human, but could lose that humanity at any moment. The original was cold and calculating at the start with no real progression. He was still interesting, but you knew he wasn't going to change. Hopefully they won't make that mistake with this one.

Top Bottom