• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Capcom to spend more dev time on games after SF5

Sesha

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/capc...s-street-fighter-v-needed-more-polish/0166795

Basically, they expected bigger results for the 2016 fiscal year, and because of SF5 claim they're taking action.

For the entirety of the HD era, Capcom has been trying to reduce development time on major titles from 3 to 4 years, to 2 to 3 years. This was one of the reasons for their heavy outsourcing last gen, and also one of the stated reasons (in addition to poor results) for eventually quitting outsourcing for major titles altogether. This is the first time they claim they're going against that.

I wonder if it's too late for RE7 or if they're going to spent more time on it.

Frazz

General gamer
So a new DMC may not be released before 2019/2020 if they start work on it now. That's 11-12 years after DMC4, I don't care if Capcom thinks DMC4:SE is a main series entry because it isn't. 12 years is a stupidly long time between sequels... In fact it took 12 years for Duke Nukem Forever to be made and look how well that turned out. As for Resident Evil? It needs the break so I'm fine with no RE for 3-4 years as Capcom clearly don't understand that series anymore.

Triggerpigking

So a new DMC may not be released before 2019/2020 if they start work on it now. That's 11-12 years after DMC4, I don't care if Capcom thinks DMC4:SE is a main series entry because it isn't. 12 years is a stupidly long time between sequels... In fact it took 12 years for Duke Nukem Forever to be made and look how well that turned out. As for Resident Evil? It needs the break so I'm fine with no RE for 3-4 years as Capcom clearly don't understand that series anymore.
Well in the dukes case it was always in development during that time, in dmc5's case we have no idea if they've stopped and started development several times or even started development at all.
Honestly I want them to take their time on a new dmc, we don't need a repeat of 4.

Reactions: Gel

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
People keep making the mistake that the 2011 version of DNF was in development for 12 years when it was in fact in dev hell for 12 years, there's a huge difference.
DNF kept on being restarted with a new engine barely before the game got 50% done cause the guy in charge had way too much passion to create the ultimate game and was also too much of a fanboy of newer games and engines coming out so he kept on wanting the game to have those features and the rest of the team didn't have the heart to tell him to slow down.

I doubt Devil May Cry will have that problem cause Capcom has no passion what so ever, it's all just numbers for them.

Aliens Colonial Marines however was 100% Gearbox's fault, they outsourced to a smaller dev team and used SEGA's funding to help make Borderlands 2 and do those horrible console ports of DNF.

Sesha

You're presuming they haven't begun work on it and drawing conclusions based on that. There's nothing to suggest a new DMC won't arrive until 2019/20 besides an irrational fear grounded in past disappointments. There is at least one indication that a new title will release before the end of march 2018.

DMC's situation is not comparable to DNF. As has been pointed out, that was in active development for those 12 years.
We've had one new entry in the franchise in those past 8 years, and for at least three of those years Itsuno and most of his team was busy on Dragon's Dogma. And dislike the idea though you might, they were busy on DMC4SE for 1.5 years.
It's important to consider that DMC only has Itsuno, unlike most franchises which has tons of different directors. Even someone like Ono who oversees all SF titles is only a producer, although he is heavily involved.

I doubt Devil May Cry will have that problem cause Capcom has no passion what so ever, it's all just numbers for them.

Capcom is a large multinational company with hundreds of employees. Reducing the entire company down to its management and claiming it "has no passion" is extremely unfair to the hardworking men and women there involved in development, production and marketing.

Last edited:

Frazz

General gamer
With regards to Capcom as a whole I think I've figured out what the two unnamed games coming early next year are. The one estimated to get 4 million sales is probably RE7 and the 2 million game? I think it's Deep Down. A game that's been unheard of since 2013 as its name was recently trademarked again by Capcom who also claimed to still be working on it. I bet that's going to be their E3 presence.

Frazz

General gamer
I'd sure as hell eat my shoe if they show DMC 5 at E3. I'd eat both shoes.
I'd eat a damn Volcano if that happened! I thoroughly believe it's gonna be RE focused though. And I also think Deep Down will be there because they've worked on it for so long. DMC has perhaps a 5% chance of showing up in a teasing capacity.

Top Bottom