• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Comparison: DMC3 Vergil and DmC Vergil

Romy

Since I finished Downfall, I thought I'd try DMC3 Vergil once again. During gameplay, I couldn't help but notice how there's something missing in both old and new Vergil. I've come to the conclusion that neither is perfect and that perfection could be accomplished only if we merge several things from both of them into one. I think NT purposely didn't want the new one to resemble "too much" to the old one. They managed to make a good new Vergil, but despite him being good, several things are missing, and vice versa.

DMC3 Vergil: - Rapid Slash far better and more aesthetically beautiful than in DmC
- Aerial Rave stronger and wider than in DmC
- Walking and running is more badass (DmC Vergil's walking and running is a bit.. girlish)
- The coat is a bit wider and it corresponds to his movements more naturally than in DmC
- His talking when executing moves (DmC Vergil's voice has the potential to be better than DMC3 in that area)
- THE MOST IMPORTANT THING: Upper Slash, one of the coolest moves which is missing in DmC

DmC Vergil: - Tricking Up and down animations look a lot better than in DMC3
- The corrupted look is done much better and you really get the "feel" of his destructive powers once you start raping demons
- Atomic is an awesome move that, not only it looks cool, but is also a starter for many good combos
- Solar Flare is another launching move that is both destructive and aesthetically beautiful
- Sword Illusions look a lot better than in DMC3

So these are the things that make each Vergil awesome in my point of view, but what could also make each of them more awesome if they had all these things combined. Imagine a Vergil with ALL this in his arsenal, aesthetically and power-wise. The one problem I see with that is the lack of joystick buttons, but I'm sure we'd find a way. :D

Romy

but there is Upper Slash in DmC, its now a launch move but you can still do it without launch yourself up.

It looks like upper slash but I wouldn't call it that because it doesn't have the following finisher, hence why it's not actually there as a move. Not to mention that the Upper Slash from DMC3 did a lot more damage than the launching move in DmC.

JessenReinhart

This is good, isn't it?
It looks like upper slash but I wouldn't call it that because it doesn't have the following finisher, hence why it's not actually there as a move. Not to mention that the Upper Slash from DMC3 did a lot more damage than the launching move in DmC.
oh yes i see..

Blazer-X

My two cents:

Judgment Cut: I'm aware Perfect Slice and charged "Judgement Cut" in DmC is both powerful and aesthetically pleasing. There's nothing not to love about a multi-hit slash dimension. However, I still have a certain thing for the old school Judgment Cut used by DMC3 Vergil. Probably because I'm so used to using Dimensional Slash Hyper Combo for Vergil in UMVC3.

Rapid Slash: I actually like the new DmC version, maybe with the exception that he turns to his back at the end of the attack. Also, its a multi-hit now, which always seemed appropriate for an attack that's supposed to be made of very fast slashes.

Aerial Rave and Yamato Combo: DMC3 Vergil all the way. I miss seeing how much further Yamato hits compare to its sheathe or Rebellion.

Summoned Swords: I like the idea of embedded swords in DmC. It's creative and leads to unique combos. But that's about it. I feel like DmC really nerfed summoned swords by making spiral swords such a high costing technique, requiring essentially twice as many DT orbs per use comparing to DMC3. Not to mention they don't count as "projectiles" so they still can't do anything against Wisp without manually firing more swords. One thing I did like though, is that spiral swords are no longer linked to blistering swords/sword storm/firing regular swords. Makes the other moves a bit more versatile. Still, they nerfed the main use of Vergil's projectiles and that's not something I can readily celebrate over.

Devil Trigger: Doppelganger all the way. Original DT did not do anything aside from damage, defense, and health recovery buff. Doppelganger opens up a lot more combo opportunities. Not much of a contest there.

MegaMad9

The Mad Man
Honestly, I'm loving the new judgement cut in DmC, it's a lot easier to combo with and looks awesome.
Rapid slash is a lot more stylish in my opinion as well.
However, I like DMC3 Vergil's spiral swords better, but I like the way NT executed the move in for Vergil's Downfall

Since I finished Downfall, I thought I'd try DMC3 Vergil once again. During gameplay, I couldn't help but notice how there's something missing in both old and new Vergil. I've come to the conclusion that neither is perfect and that perfection could be accomplished only if we merge several things from both of them into one. I think NT purposely didn't want the new one to resemble "too much" to the old one. They managed to make a good new Vergil, but despite him being good, several things are missing, and vice versa.

DMC3 Vergil: - Rapid Slash far better and more aesthetically beautiful than in DmC
- Aerial Rave stronger and wider than in DmC
- Walking and running is more badass (DmC Vergil's walking and running is a bit.. girlish)
- The coat is a bit wider and it corresponds to his movements more naturally than in DmC
- His talking when executing moves (DmC Vergil's voice has the potential to be better than DMC3 in that area)
- THE MOST IMPORTANT THING: Upper Slash, one of the coolest moves which is missing in DmC

DmC Vergil: - Tricking Up and down animations look a lot better than in DMC3
- The corrupted look is done much better and you really get the "feel" of his destructive powers once you start raping demons
- Atomic is an awesome move that, not only it looks cool, but is also a starter for many good combos
- Solar Flare is another launching move that is both destructive and aesthetically beautiful
- Sword Illusions look a lot better than in DMC3

So these are the things that make each Vergil awesome in my point of view, but what could also make each of them more awesome if they had all these things combined. Imagine a Vergil with ALL this in his arsenal, aesthetically and power-wise. The one problem I see with that is the lack of joystick buttons, but I'm sure we'd find a way. :D

Normally, I'd cry foul, but I value Romy's opinion. So, without having played DMC3 recently, I'll have to take your word for it.

PS. Romy if you get chance you mind doing quick little video one for DMC3 vergil and one for the new one, and just do the same moves for both so we can see your points in action.

Romy

Normally, I'd cry foul, but I value Romy's opinion. So, without having played DMC3 recently, I'll have to take your word for it.

PS. Romy if you get chance you mind doing quick little video one for DMC3 vergil and one for the new one, and just do the same moves for both so we can see your points in action.

That's a great idea, man. I'll get right on to it. :)

Top Bottom