• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante’s Chronological Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kodanshi

R·O·C·K·S·T·A·R
OK, I’ve not read the DMC manga, so I don’t know if it explains these things. Now, we know that chronologically the games go DMC 3 —› 1 —› 2. I wondered how, canonically, you can explain Dante’s loss of styles from game 3 to game 1. Can you say he simply chose one style and stuck with it?

What other problems present themselves linking this prequel to an already–established timeframe?

machindix

Kodanshi;4613 said:
OK, I’ve not read the DMC manga, so I don’t know if it explains these things. Now, we know that chronologically the games go DMC 3 —› 1 —› 2. I wondered how, canonically, you can explain Dante’s loss of styles from game 3 to game 1. Can you say he simply chose one style and stuck with it?

What other problems present themselves linking this prequel to an already–established timeframe?

I think the fighting styles has more to do with the developement of the gaming system rather than the storyline. So to say I wouldn't usually consider the evolution of Dante's fighting techinics in a "chronological" way-- because it's simply not a part of the story and doesn't follow the timeline.

But if you really want to consider the changes of Dante's styles as an aspect of his personal devolopement, yes, you can say that maybe he chose to stick with one or two styles and abandoned the rest. To me, Dante's style after DMC3 is sort of a blend of trickster, swordsman, and gunslinger.

Now about other problems... Dante's age and appearance in DMC1 is the most obvious one I can see (who would believe he's 39...) but this can be explained by plot ambiguity or translation error (the Japanese subtitles doesn't always match the Engilsh lines...)

There's another mistake you can't miss-- the color of the chain on Vergil's amulet. It was silver like Dante's in DMC1, but gold in DMC3...

d4rkn1ght

Devils Never Cry
coz the Capcom wanted to try out the game............if the game was good.......they create another game but with style and new moves

Kodanshi

R·O·C·K·S·T·A·R
As a half-demon, perhaps Dante ages less quickly than mere mortal humans like us?

As for the rest of it, I know Styles came solely as a new gameplay element, but it does impact on the story and progression. Each player who grows skilled in his/her Style will claim that as an ‘official’ Dante style.

d4rkn1ght

Devils Never Cry
Kodanshi;4766 said:
As a half-demon, perhaps Dante ages less quickly than mere mortal humans like us?

hhhmmmm.........maybe.........but Dante could dye later than humans like us............he could fight until his death.........maybe 2000 years just like his father

IloveVergil

Demon a$$-kicker
Hey how can Dante be 39 in DMC1?He lost his mother when he was 10.....trish says 'the guy who lost his mother & brother 20 years ago".....so shouln't he be 10+20=30 years old?

Lucifer's Ire

.::Otaku::.
Sparda sealed the Netherworld 2000 years ago along with his powers, so he became human. After some months Eva born Dante&Vergil, they started growing up normaly. Then both Eva and Sparda died because they' were humans. Then Dante&Vergil started growing up extremely slowly, so after 2000 years they look like 25 years old or something (DMC3). That means that both Dante & Vergil are nearly 2000 years old. If you think about it it makes sence. If I am wrong, please tell it to me because I want to know.

IloveVergil

Demon a$$-kicker
They can never be 2000 years old!Their mother died only 20 years ago,and she was human.If Dante & Vergil r 2000 years old their mother must be older than them! It's impossible for Eva to live so long.

machindix

Another possibility is that Sparda married Eva when he's 1980 years old or something... maybe he still looked hot at that age. You'll never know.

I mean, I really can't believe Vergil and Dante are 2000 years old. They're not mentally matured enough. And I agree with IloveVergil. That would make Eva far too old.

Besides, Dante has a picture of Eva sitting on his desk, and I don't think photographs exsisted 2000 years ago.

Lucifer's Ire

.::Otaku::.
That's true, but Sparda sealed the DM(Demon World) 2000 yrs ago, right? And he sealed his powers in it too, right? And he became a human (right?lol). Then how could he live nearly 2000 yrs? In this thread we're talking about possibilities bec we don't know what realy heppened and there are hundreds of logical explainations.

IloveVergil

Demon a$$-kicker
The director of Devil May Cry 3 confirmed in an interview that Dante is 19 in the game.Both boys were only 10 when their mother died, meaning at least 8 years before the manga and one more year before DMC3.End of discussion

machindix

IloveVergil;4862 said:
Hey how can Dante be 39 in DMC1?He lost his mother when he was 10.....trish says 'the guy who lost his mother & brother 20 years ago".....so shouln't he be 10+20=30 years old?

Well, as I mentioned before, the line "lost his brother 20 years ago" is ambiguous. It can be misinterpreted easly. Some people might think it was refering to the whole DMC3 incident (literally, it makes sense, so you can't really blame them for making the mistake. As for me, I never believed Dante was 39 in DMC1... that when I started to notice there're problems in this line)

Anyway, it's good to hear it straight from the director and have things cleared up. But we still haven't solved the when-did-Sparda-get married mystery...

2000 years... they should really give Sparda his own game.

IloveVergil

Demon a$$-kicker
Well the problem with your theory is if Dante & Vergil aged extremely slowly,how do u explain that Dante looks much older in DMC1 & 2 than DMC3?He didn't age in 2000 years but suddenly started growing up?Speaking of Sparda,I think though he had sealed away his powers,he still was a demon,so he lived for 2000 years after defeating mundus,married eva & then died/dissappeared for some unknown reason.If sparda had become full human,Dante & Vergil wouldn't be half-devil,would they?

machindix

IloveVergil;4949 said:
Well the problem with your theory is if Dante & Vergil aged extremely slowly,how do u explain that Dante looks much older in DMC1 & 2 than DMC3?He didn't age in 2000 years but suddenly started growing up?Speaking of Sparda,I think though he had sealed away his powers,he still was a demon,so he lived for 2000 years after defeating mundus,married eva & then died/dissappeared for some unknown reason.If sparda had become full human,Dante & Vergil wouldn't be half-devil,would they?

You read my mind:p

IloveVergil

Demon a$$-kicker
Okay, here's how i think the events in dante's life were:when he was very young(less than ten years) his father sparda died/dissapeared.When he was 10, his mother died at the hands of demons trying to save him while he was hidden in the closet(or was it something else?).He found his mother dead & coundn't see vergil anywhere so he thought vergil was dead too.He swore to hunt down the demons & became a demon hunter.8 years later,he met his so-called "dead" brother who was trying to unlock the door to the demon world.He fought his own brother to stop this but vergil dissappeared.One year later,they meet again,And the events of DMC3 occur(i won't go into details),Dante thinks Vergil is dead(Deja Vu) but 11 years later(20 yers after his mother's death)meets him as Nelo Angelo when the events of DMC1 take place.I won't say anytihng about DMC2,because it's not important,and i haven't figured out where does it fit in the timeline(butI am sure Dante's 30 up in DMC2).I guess Dante's in his early thirties in DMC4 as it most probably would be a sequel to DMC1.

d4rkn1ght

Devils Never Cry
IloveVergil;4864 said:
They can never be 2000 years old!Their mother died only 20 years ago,and she was human.If Dante & Vergil r 2000 years old their mother must be older than them! It's impossible for Eva to live so long.

or they must lye to hide that Dante is a Half Demon and Half Human.........but Sparda is a Real Demon.....but when he went to the Human World he was transformed to a Human to hide his Secret...............dante and Vergil has the same age but toooo different in human age.............i think that Dante and Vergil Surpassed to the Nature

Trish

d4rkn1ght, Dante and Vergil are twins. There is no way, none whatsoever, that could be different ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom