• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante’s Trailer

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
He also has the motocycle weapon before that battle too.

It's likely that the demo includes all the weapons before hand to not give anything away.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
I'm surprised you like Trish in this one. I think she looks ugly like famine itself.

DMC5_Screens_Trish_png_jpgcopy.jpg

Lady instead, seems she was spared Trish's fate, probably the modeler working on her was feeling in a better mood or something.
Trish looks fine, she looks beautiful. The problem is how the form factor of the polygon. It makes her look like a woman with a trollface. *scratches head*

Veloran

No kidding. If not, I'm hoping there's some way to "remove" the style system via mods or applications. I really don't want to deal with it at all.
Just pick one and don't switch then.

I really have no idea why people are so down on the style system, it works perfectly well. Hell, if anything it worked so well they decided to give Dante in 5 another style system on TOP of his normal one, since all weapons now seem to have two modes that have completely different moves that you can change on the fly. It's style switching on top of style switching.

DarkSlayer54

I really have no idea why people are so down on the style system, it works perfectly well. Hell, if anything it worked so well they decided to give Dante in 5 another style system on TOP of his normal one, since all weapons now seem to have two modes that have completely different moves that you can change on the fly. It's style switching on top of style switching.

So, use 1/4th of the styles, instead of getting the full combat experience?

No thanks, I'd rather just have a system with a learning curve that isn't painful.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I assume the motorcycle behaves like Salamandra?
Well, with Salamandra you hold to sustain damage but if you release at a precise moment you not only cut the time of the attack but you do much higher damage. I think Cavalier is just hold for damage. My guess is it's niche is the motorcycle mode. That's where the intricacies for its use are.

DarkSlayer54

It really isn't. I also don't think the learning curve argument works given that DMC4 has been out for a decade. It works perfectly well.

It really is. I think I should know my experienced difficulty / enjoyment between the two systems.

The age of DMC4 is irrelevant. I thought it was a terrible game when it originally released, and I only beat it once. Later on when DMC4:SE came out, I beat it 1-2 more times, but never used Dante during those playthroughs. His style system really is that bad for me.

Last edited:

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I can actually think of a way to fuse most of the style functions into one controller setup. It isn't impossible.

----

Triangle/Y = Melee

Circle/B = Swordmaster

Square/X = Ranged/Gunslinger (Press D-Pad Down to switch between Ranged and Gunslinger.)

X/A = Jump (I really wanted to change this to Trickster Dash during DT like you do with Vergil, but I also wanted to see if it was possible to cram a few more functions onto the controller.)

----

R1/Right Bumper = Lock-on (There should be a hold or toggle option in the menu by now.)

R2/Right Trigger = DT (It looks like DT Distortion's gone, so there's no need to map it to L1 anymore. Even if it wasn't, it's not too big of a hassle to hold one of Balrog's punches and time it with R2/RT.)

----

L1/Left Bumper = Trickster

L2/Left Trigger = Royalguard (If anyone can perform Ex-Act on a regular basis, then it should be no problem for RG to be remapped to this button.)

-----

D-Pad Up= Switch Ranged

D-Pad Left/Right = Switch Melee

D-Pad Down = Toggle Ranged/Gunslinger

(Why use all the directional buttons for styles when there's a better way?)

Last edited:

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I can actually think of a way to fuse most of the style functions into one controller setup. It isn't impossible
IMO Circle should just be a dedicated trickster button and Royal Guard should be on one of the 4 triggers, Guns&swords should have all the damn moves. Just give me the damn tekken style dial combos for swords&guns. I'll get used to that easily because even if its hard, its fun. Style switching doesn't feel like fun, it feels like a chore, it feels like the controls are inefficient rather than my ability to input things.

See, that was only doable in DMC3. Enemy&level design was designed in a way which facilitated that. DMC4 levels on the other hand are designed with the style switching in mind, it throws enemies&levels at you that force you to style switch.

You need trickster to move around easily as levels are now bigger in 4&5, whereas as Nero you can use the buster to go right next to the enemy or bring him to you. Nero has a lot of sword combos, dante has lot of them walled behind SwordMaster for no good reason. If Nero can have more moves WITHOUT swordmaster then its only fair that Dante gets at least the same level of moves by default as nero does but he doesn't. The biggest problem isn't that Style Switching makes game hard or anything, it just ruins the game flow for most of us. We need to stop our forward momentum constantly because the controls aren't intuitive.

Last edited:

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
@ROCKMAN X

I agree. Swords and guns should just have all their moves available in their default combos.

Instead we get another style added on top of these weapons for double the penetration hassle.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
That aside, some people have theories that the boss Dante encounters is Alastor. I don't know what to think about that.

Didn't you see the gameplay demo? His name is Cavaliere Angelo and it's the boss that drops you the bike weapon. The reason why Dante's already has the bike when fighting him in the demo is because the build they used already had it unlocked for demonstration purposes.

See, that was only doable in DMC3.

Not true at all. Back when I first played DMC4 I beat it on all difficulties with only Trickster. And later on, when I learned about roll and jump's i-frames, with only Swordmaster, as those two always were my two favorite Styles.

Veloran

Later on when DMC4:SE came out, I beat it 1-2 more times, but never used Dante during those playthroughs.
You can't not use Dante when playing through DMC4. Even if you could, it sounds like your experience with the style system amounts to one playthrough almost ten years ago, that's a pretty poor metric to judge something.

Enemy&level design was designed in a way which facilitated that. DMC4 levels on the other hand are designed with the style switching in mind, it throws enemies&levels at you that force you to style switch.
This isn't true at all. In DMC3 some enemies and missions were way easier depending on what style you were using for them, and that's no more true in DMC4 than it is in 3. Less so actually, given that the game isn't even really designed for Dante.

You need trickster to move around easily as levels are now bigger in 4&5,
It's a bit premature to say that the levels are big in 5. Anyway, that's kind of a weak argument given that it's judging Dante by a comparison to the convenience of Nero. There's no real reason not to play slower and just run up to enemies if you find switching uncomfortable, that's how he had to play in 1 and 3/4ths of 3.

Nero has a lot of sword combos, dante has lot of them walled behind SwordMaster for no good reason.
You say they're walled behind Swordmaster, when in reality Dante didn't have them at all before Swordmaster. If you prefer Nero's style of play, just play Nero.

If Nero can have more moves WITHOUT swordmaster then its only fair that Dante gets at least the same level of moves by default as nero does but he doesn't.
Except Dante actually gets more moves by default. Even if you choose a non-Swordmaster style, Dante still has two (Seemingly three in 5) more melee weapons than Nero. Dante isn't centered around Rebellion in the same way Nero is Red Queen, and in 5 all of his weapons appear to have two modes to switch between even without Swordmaster. Even with Nero's upgraded RQ, Dante has way more.

We need to stop our forward momentum constantly because the controls aren't intuitive.
I disagree that this is the case. I've personally never found the style switching to be an issue, and I think ten years of video evidence shows that a whole lot of people adopted the system very well.

DarkSlayer54

You can't not use Dante when playing through DMC4. Even if you could, it sounds like your experience with the style system amounts to one playthrough almost ten years ago, that's a pretty poor metric to judge something.

You can... Either with Vergil or with Lady/Trish. The Special Edition adds new characters - Vergil being able to play the entire campaign, and Lady/Trish sharing the campaign similarly to Nero/Dante.

My experience amounts to one playthrough in the original, and a few attempts to play with him in SE. Pretty great metric if I can't even begin a playthrough with him.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
It's a bit premature to say that the levels are big in 5.

And besides, even if they are, DMC5 still has the "instant super sprint" that makes you run faster for all characters like we did in DMC4SE, except this time it doesn't even stop its momentum when turning, so really, exploring the levels without Trickster is not gonna be an issue in the slightest.

Top Bottom