• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Defend It - DmC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I like this video better, an equal look at both games

True that. Someone who actually understands something about the genre, and knows what he's talking about.

As much as Yahtzee was obviously right when it comes to DMC4's flaws, that review was still godawful. DMC is a game with complex mechanics so you gotta do your research, actually learn the game (it's not necessary to be a pro - I'm average at best at DMC and I'm willing to bet I know a lot more about the game than Yahtzee does... actually, any of us in this very forum does), and then come up with a review that talks about that if you want it to be worth something. Really, the GamingBrit is a lot more trustworthy.

Obviously that's the problem with that Defend It video too, it doesn't delve much into analyzing both games' mechanics and makes pretty shallow points most of the time, with equally shallow backup. That's why I think berto is spot on here and the video doesn't do neither DmC or DMC any service. To be fair, I watched a few of their other Defend It videos, and found those better than this in terms of how they presented their arguments.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@Jack500, @Vergilius: My apologies. Thought it was an attempt to bash his opinion. I can't watch imbedded videos, as they don't show up on my phone. So I have no clue what either of them are about.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
@Jack500, @Vergilius: My apologies. Thought it was an attempt to bash his opinion. I can't watch imbedded videos, as they don't show up on my phone. So I have no clue what either of them are about.
Well, not to brag or anything, but I honestly feel that the video in the OP was more balanced.

Sure, it made some off-putting statements (such as comparing Classic Dante to Clint Eastwood) but it did so in the most non-offensive way possible.

Consider this: No matter how hard you try to not be offensive, your opinion is going to be badly received if it clashes with someone else's.

Khundy

Berserker
Lol no, you like it because his opinion matches yours.
and doesn't the other videos matches yours :p

But I did and have stated that I don't like listening to people who I believe aren't that into a game as much as I am. I'm all about the game play and seeing and also knowing that some one has put in the time into both series should only be trusted when given an opinion.

speaking of an opinion I respect.

WOW me with your gameplay, then I'll listen to you.

Both series suck story wise, but you all should know I for sure as hell "prefer" the original gameplay over the reboot. I'm still playing DMC4 at least once a day trying to master that ****. DmC I've beaten but got bored with"Personally"

All this talk is always "opinionated", like it love it just have fun with it. I'm not trying to hurt feelings. :D

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Lol no, you like it because his opinion matches yours.

Ha. So true. :sneaky:

Bull. The same can be said about Chancey and Yahtzee's POS review.

With the difference that between him and the GamingBrit, it's clear who knows more about the games and who's more accountable.

some one has put in the time into both series should only be trusted when given an opinion.

Exactly. Wise words.

Jack500

and doesn't the other videos matches yours :p

But I did and have stated that I don't like listening to people who I believe aren't that into a game as much as I am. I'm all about the game play and seeing and also knowing that some one has put in the time into both series should only be trusted when given an opinion.

I don't really have an opinion of DMC 4, and if the GamingBrit had a different opinion then yours, would you still think we should trust him? I somehow doubt that.

Bull. The same can be said about Chancey and Yahtzee's POS review.

With the difference that between him and the GamingBrit, it's clear who knows more about the games and who's more accountable.

Except Yahtzee isn't obviously biased

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I don't really have an opinion of DMC 4, and if the GamingBrit had a different opinion then yours, would you still think we should trust him? I somehow doubt that.

That'd apply to everyone. Speaking of fairness, ain't fair to apply that to just one side, is it?

Except Yahtzee isn't obviously biased

Indeed. He's incompetent. Which is a different problem altogether.

@Vergilius
Don't pretend to be Mr. Super Partes, dude. We're all guilty of bias, whether it is positive or negative. You're no different.

With that said, I'm taking into account how much a reviewer actually knows about the game he's reviewing. Cause I don't care if a mechanic likes more Ferrari or Lamborghini, regardless of his preferences, I'll go to the one who's more competent.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Foxtrot94 said:
We're all guilty of bias, whether it is positive or negative.

Exactly. Point me to somehow who isn't, and I'd be pretty doubtful about that. Everyone displays bias on a regular basis.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Point me to somehow who isn't

How about .ini file settings?

muykn9.png

See? Bias=0.

Sorry, I know, I know... Informatics jokes.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
So basically we shouldn't be trusting any reviewers at all

When someone watches a review, I've always thought it was taken for granted that the viewer knows that that reviewer's gonna be biased one way or another. It's human nature, can't help it.

However the reviewer that is competent and knowledgeable of what he's talking about is the trustworthy one for me. The one who properly analyzes the mechanics, the story and so on, and understands those mechanics, how the genre works etc. etc.
DMC in particular, is a complex game, if you're not willing to take the time to actually learn it and then write a review, don't even bother. You're unavoidably gonna come up with a superficial review.
As much as the GamingBrit is biased, at the very least he knows what he talks about, so I'll take that over Yahtzee any day of the week.

I remember once upon a time magazines had groups of reviewers specifically dedicated to every genre, cause you can't have someone who doesn't particularly understand/can't properly play action games to talk about... action games.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
So basically we shouldn't be trusting any reviewers at all

Please explain to me where I said that? I wasn't speaking about just reviewers, I meant in general. And I was always under the impression that reviewers were meant to keep biased opinions out of their reviews as much as possible. It's different if it's your line of work, but you can't completely separate your personal opinions on something, only try not to make your points seem as if you fully favour/disfavour something. Again, I was speaking in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom