• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil Breaker's Cartridges.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
So I was curious how everyone feel about part of Okabe's interview.
Okabe: The "Devil Breaker", the prosthetic arm created by Nico, will change the game drastically. Devil Breaker has some slots for cartridges, and you can carry them when the mission begins. They are very powerful, but fragile. You have to dodge enemy attacks or they will break very easily, so you need to put a new cartridge when one breaks. There are some cartridges placed in each level, and you can also buy them from Nico who will arrive in a van. The arm is one of Nero's core mechanics in this game.
Does this mean that you have some temporarly available abilities in level or it implies it only important for stats? If so, I'm kinda worried it would unneeded grind for the game, if you have to return and replenish cartirdiges.

SwordofSparda

Yeah I dont like the idea too. If that is the case you could use ammo for the guns too. But Im sure at the end you get Devil Breaker which are unbreakable ;).

For me the System of fragile weapons arms etc. Dont belong in those genre of games. For Skyrim more realistic and wider worlds etc its okay but not here.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I just hope that skills like electrical arm etc. aren't tied with cartridges. It would be damn shame.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I'm worried too. It sounds like they're treating these cartridges as the powerups you find in Arena FPSs. That, plus the whole fragile DB thing, doesn't feel like it belongs here.

Yet another reason to look forward to Gamescom.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
oh, so the one that breaks is the cartridge, thought it was the arm..

i suppose the arm have standard abilities that are usable without the cartridges, maybe like devil bringer standards. and the cartridges will act like his DT, only this time you don't collect it instead preserve it.

it may restrain the combo variaties.. but i'm assuming it's more of character/gameplay style emphasize, i guess they made nero this time for the 'dodgy' fans, you know hop hop hop; angel dash; devil dodge.

it's fine for me, same thing different mechanics..

ssj4jw

I think this Devil Breaker thing will be Nero's semi style system since he has a belt with different breakers on it.

Veloran

I would guess the cartridges are the limitation of the arms or how many times you can use them, and that at the end of the game Nero will get the Devil Bringer back, allowing him to supersede this limitation and use all of his Devil Breaker moves freely with the Devil Bringer. So instead of having a rocket arm that he can shoot out and fly on at the expense of losing other abilities like snatch or his grab, he'll be able to project a ghost arm that does the same thing except he can also use his other moves at the same time.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Probably to help keep Red Orbs or whatever currency they use relevant for a longer time. DMC4's use of Proud Souls really borked that Red Orb economy, as did DmC's use of White Orbs for upgrade levels.

Not sure how much I dig something that offers abilities breaking. At least in Nier: Automata (the first thing that concept reminded me of) you had to die to lose access to your chips, and you had to die again before recovering them to lose them entirely.

berto

I Saw the Devil
My guess is that the reason they're limited is because they might be a bit too handy and this way you don't become reliant on those abilities. I'd also wadger that as you progress and level up you'll be able to carry more and more till you have unlimited uses. Same for those breakable devil breakers.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
My guess is that the reason they're limited is because they might be a bit too handy and this way you don't become reliant on those abilities.

Maybe but then why not just making them dependant on some sort of meter like they've always done with DT abilities? This idea that you have to recover cartridges throughout the levels, I don't know, doesn't sit well with me. I seriously need to see the mechanic in action cause right now it's kinda confusing.

I'd also wadger that as you progress and level up you'll be able to carry more and more till you have unlimited uses. Same for those breakable devil breakers.

Yeah, assuming Nero has no DT anymore because his DB is gone, I'd imagine that would be his version of the "Super" costume, where instead of having infinite DT, you have unlimited cartridges.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Yeah, assuming Nero has no DT anymore because his DB is gone, I'd imagine that would be his version of the "Super" costume, where instead of having infinite DT, you have unlimited cartridges.
I don't think any of the functions in question would be reliant on his DT. It's the arms he has equipped at the time that will determine what he can do at the moment, at least that's what we're being led to believe. Supposedly they break down the more you use them.

I'm also a bit reserved about the concept. This would be the first time something that central to the combat will have limited uses. It's literally having to find ammo and breakable weapons. I really want a demo for this game to see how it all works in practice rather than hearing about the theory. I'm sure there is a reason the team thought it appropriate because when you get down to it the team wouldn't set the game up like that for nothing but still I want to see how it all works with the controller in hand.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I don't think any of the functions in question would be reliant on his DT.

I'm not saying they are, I'm saying that if this, down below, is indeed the case as it seems to be...

It's the arms he has equipped at the time that will determine what he can do at the moment

Then maybe his Super version, if they even put them in the game, will be what you suggested, which is to say unlimited cartridges for his arm, eliminating the need for you to pick them up in the levels.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Then maybe his Super version, if they even put them in the game, will be what you suggested, which is to say unlimited cartridges for his arm, eliminating the need for you to pick them up in the levels.
So his Super costume would be a kinda swiss army... arm, I guess, with no limits to its uses? I mean, it's possible. Would be a sorta logical progression, but I think Nero will have his own DT as the story progresses, or at least a power boost similar to one. Then again, maybe he'll get his arm back by the end of the game.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
There is an overall default devil bringer skill. They wouldn't take buttons away. Style are going to be important and I hope I don't run out of amo

DarkSlayer54

Not sure how much I dig something that offers abilities breaking. At least in Nier: Automata (the first thing that concept reminded me of) you had to die to lose access to your chips, and you had to die again before recovering them to lose them entirely.

I've always hated that mechanic. Main reason I never buy Souls and Souls-like games. If I encounter a difficult boss, I don't want to spend 10 minutes dodging all his attacks to learn his patterns. I just want to go at it, die, and repeat until I figure out a strategy that works.

If Nero's new system gets even vaguely annoying, I'm turning on infinite Cartridges. On the bright side, DMC is all about the gameplay for me... so there's no loss there. For Souls games, there's no way to cheat around it. For me the fun comes from progression in those types of games, so I'd have to be particularly careful with how I modify the soul count - not worth the effort.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
I've always hated that mechanic. Main reason I never buy Souls and Souls-like games. If I encounter a difficult boss, I don't want to spend 10 minutes dodging all his attacks to learn his patterns. I just want to go at it, die, and repeat until I figure out a strategy that works.
I agree. But dodging attacks is just as good. That's what I liked about DMC3, but a lot of enemies don't force you to do it. It's something I'd like to see in DMC5, but having cartridges does put me off. Automata's chip-finding mechanic was okay, and it is completely optional. I've fought bosses and never had to go find chips on re-tries. Just go in there, and kick ass.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium

The best counter to that problem is to spend your souls on levels and items when you can, so you have less on you when it's time to learn an encounter. I've never gotten frustrated at a Souls-like by following that simple rule. I'd rather go all the way back to a checkpoint and level up, and spend the majority of my souls, that try and get through an unknown area with a pocket full of something I didn't want to lose. Essentially: play it safe!

DarkSlayer54

The best counter to that problem is to spend your souls on levels and items when you can, so you have less on you when it's time to learn an encounter. I've never gotten frustrated at a Souls-like by following that simple rule. I'd rather go all the way back to a checkpoint and level up, and spend the majority of my souls, that try and get through an unknown area with a pocket full of something I didn't want to lose. Essentially: play it safe!

My entire playstyle is the opposite of playing it safe. Even normal mobs can kill me, due to my "strategies".

Top Bottom