• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry Volume 1 Review

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
180px-DMCvolume1.jpg

Synopsis

Tony is a rough-and-tumble jack-of-all-trades with extraordinary physical prowess and a fierce fighting attitude. His encounter with Gilver, a mysterious swordsman swathed in bandages, changes his life dramatically. He is thrust into the dark underworld of an unsolvable case, separated from the life he knew, and pushed over the edge of desperation. Who's forcing him into a corner? What do they hope to achieve?

Environment

When compared with Devil May Cry 3's, I'd say they're about the same except for major differences.

1. There's actual people around like Nell Goldstein or random mercenaries.

2. Its dark and dangerous, the following pretty much sums it up

"Tony dodged and parried, yet still suffered a number of direct hits. But finally he annihilated his attackers and paused for breath. The dizziness and nausea dissipated, replaced by exhaustion. Tony found it difficult to lift his sword. His spent pistols were little more than dead weights. He realized with a start that if he sat down, he probably wouldn't have the energy to stand back up."

Its more consistent with the spookiness of DMC1's depiction of the underworld.

Characterization of Dante/Vergil

tumblr_ms6a7lo0pn1rjbkjko1_500.jpg

The book does a great job at exploring Dante's past, I like that it explains why he wears red, Dante's emotions, and how he acquired Ebony & Ivory and the Force Edge.

While Dante was playful at times throughout the book, he wasn't an over the top joke like in Devil May Cry 3 or 4. He cared about people especially children.

compare the following

3:30 mins in. To me, it seems like he didn't give a damn about the way Lady felt the the time.

"Remember our proud name. We are----"
"I don't give a ****." Tony stomped on the animated head, smashing it like a melon. His cold sneer was more demonic than anything else in this hellish dimension. But his face quickly melted as he turned toward Jessica, sympathy and fear driving away the rage.

'Does it hurt Jessica?"
There was no reply.

The tiny hands that once made doria were now gnarled roots. Her flesh had solidified into wood. The bell-like clarity of her voice had been replaced by faltering whimpers. But her unchanging eyes remained fixed on Tony. He couldn't stand her tears.

The tree pulsed with life, its black aura pushing out farther with each breath. It would only be a day or two until the demons' reality overwrote the city. No normal human would survive the palpable atmosphere.

Tony gripped his sword tightly. "I' going to end the pain, okay, Princess?

The statement had none of his characteristic sarcasm.

Tony shut his eyes and swung his sword.

An example of his anger

"Tony had erupted at the mention of demons, kicking his stool away. His face had contorted into a mask of fury."

"Tony's arm whipped out and lifted Enzo into the air "Just tell me, Enzo. I'm running out of patience."

Example of him being a great and helpful guy to his friend's remaining family.

"He had used up most of savings opening bank accounts for Grue's remaining daughters."

I like that he's more human and relateable in the book and in DMC1.

tumblr_m2udm4pHWH1r0a5pgo1_400.jpg

Onto Gilver A.K.A Vergil

In the book, he was a bounty hunter before he found Dante. When compared with DMC3's depiction, they're mostly the same minus the one-dimensional craving for power. Gilver is calm, cold, and a bit sadistic

"Gilver unloaded both shells in the he taken from Goldstein's shop. "I guess this is the time I get to be the one to say 'jackpot"

The shells ripped through Dante's legs, sending scarlet blossoms into the air. Dante crashed into the ground in front of Gilver and burbled helplessly. The pain was beyond anything he had ever endured. It stabbed through his mind like a hot poker, preventing all coherent thought. Both of his thighs were shredded beyond use. Blood bubbled up from Dante's mouth.

Gilver stood over his prey, enraptured. "That's a splendid sound. Your agonized expression is quite beautiful." He seemed to drink up the suffering.

My only issue about the book, is that Gilver had no reasons for wanting to summon the demon realm.

Pros

Great exploration of Dante's past and his overall personality.
Explanation on how Dante got his guns

Cons

Lack of motivate for Gilver

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
I re-read some parts and noticed some things like

"Tony paused to recover his breath. The lack of an audience afforded him a rare moment of honesty. His ironic smile and theatrical red coat were mere props, protective masks, to put his enemies on the defensive and himself at ease."

&

"Gilver stopped in his tracks, his back to Goldstein.
Something that takes the shape of a man but isn't one.
He left the shop without looking back. Goldstein watched him go, stifling a gasp.
She was less surprised with what he said than with the shape his shadow threw on the dimly lit wall.
It didn't look anything like the shadow of a neat, suited man. It looked more like a knight in a suit of armor."

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
This is why the book should have been made into a game and not DMC3.
Well, the only thing DMC3 offered was its gameplay (and more lifespan in its Special Edition with Vergil being the second playable character), which I like best, not to mention those over-the-top cutscenes like Dante falling down from Temen-Ni-Gru but ending up getting eaten by Leviathan and Dante again but going up the tower with Lady's bike only for it to end up being destroyed. And @DarkSlayerZero made good points about DMC3 not being a prequel to DMC1, but rather as a retcon to it. No wonder Reuben Langdon said in an interview of his that DMC3 is a reboot to DMC (which is also the same interview where he said he had received hate mail for being Dante)...

Just pretend DMC3 is a reboot like what Reuben said, okay?

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
Well, the only thing DMC3 offered was its gameplay (and more lifespan in its Special Edition with Vergil being the second playable character), which I like best, not to mention those over-the-top cutscenes like Dante falling down from Temen-Ni-Gru but ending up getting eaten by Leviathan and Dante again but going up the tower with Lady's bike only for it to end up being destroyed. And @DarkSlayerZero made good points about DMC3 not being a prequel to DMC1, but rather as a retcon to it. No wonder Reuben Langdon said in an interview of his that DMC3 is a reboot to DMC (which is also the same interview where he said he had received hate mail for being Dante)...

Just pretend DMC3 is a reboot like what Reuben said, okay?
True but as a result we lose a more interesting Dante for some brat with a party obsession, and a more complex Vergil for some power hungry trope character.
The DMC1 novel was a lot more of an interesting prequel for a game then what DMC3 was all about.

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
True but as a result we lose a more interesting Dante for some brat with a party obsession, and a more complex Vergil for some power hungry trope character.
The DMC1 novel was a lot more of an interesting prequel for a game then what DMC3 was all about.
It does seem interesting. Not to mention a Dante that is an entire Inuyasha expy and Vergil is a Sesshomaru expy. Sparda's backstory was also changed to that of Inuyasha and Sesshomaru's demon father.

A demon wielding three swords with one of them as his own and the two others to each of his sons.
He has two sons who don't get along due to their differences.
One son is brash and cocky. Another son hungers for power.

It's already been done before... -_-

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
It does seem interesting. Not to mention a Dante that is an entire Inuyasha expy and Vergil is a Sesshomaru expy. Sparda's backstory was also changed to that of Inuyasha and Sesshomaru's demon father.

A demon wielding three swords with one of them as his own and the two others to each of his sons.
He has two sons who don't get along due to their differences.
One son is brash and cocky. Another son hungers for power.

It's already been done before... -_-

People get mad and rage if you don't just suck up and have them as your favorites.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
People get mad and rage if you don't just suck up and have them as your favorites.

Funny, I could say the same about some of the people who like DmC Dante. :/

A lot of the same people who complain about people "still bitching about the reboot" are the same ones "still bitching about DMC3 and 4". Just pointing that out...

I don't expect people to have the same favourites as me; what I do expect is common courtesy. I keep my snarky opinions about reboot Dante to myself (only letting on I don't like the reboot, and leaving it at that), but I seldom see people keeping their counsel about DMC3 and 4 Dante. In fact, it seems every opportunity they can find to whine about those versions, they can and will.

To be clear, I also like DMC1 Dante; hell, even though he's wooden, 2 isn't bad, either. I see every version of classic Dante as being the same, because they are the same character; he is merely going through stages of development.

I'm not going into lengthy detail here, but from a storyline perspective, these changes in his personality make a certain amount of sense. People don't go through their entire lives thinking and feeling one way; we all can relate in one way, or another.

From the gaming perspective, it has to do with changes in staff, and taking a raw character, and polishing him.

I'll admit, Capcom did a very half-assed job in polishing his character and his storyline-but hey, it is what it is.

I'm not doing this to pick a fight, but I am making my voice heard; I'm tired of the hypocrisy and the divide between fans. It's okay to like different things; it becomes a problem, however, when all people do is bash the version they don't like in an attempt to pick a fight with others.

The hurling of "fanboy" insults is old and tired. :/ Like what you like, make no apologies for it, and respect the rights of others to do the same. Simple as that.

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
Funny, I could say the same about some of the people who like DmC Dante. :/

A lot of the same people who complain about people "still bitching about the reboot" are the same ones "still bitching about DMC3 and 4". Just pointing that out...

I don't expect people to have the same favourites as me; what I do expect is common courtesy. I keep my snarky opinions about reboot Dante to myself (only letting on I don't like the reboot, and leaving it at that), but I seldom see people keeping their counsel about DMC3 and 4 Dante. In fact, it seems every opportunity they can find to whine about those versions, they can and will.

To be clear, I also like DMC1 Dante; hell, even though he's wooden, 2 isn't bad, either. I see every version of classic Dante as being the same, because they are the same character; he is merely going through stages of development.

I'm not going into lengthy detail here, but from a storyline perspective, these changes in his personality make a certain amount of sense. People don't go through their entire lives thinking and feeling one way; we all can relate in one way, or another.

From the gaming perspective, it has to do with changes in staff, and taking a raw character, and polishing him.

I'll admit, Capcom did a very half-assed job in polishing his character and his storyline-but hey, it is what it is.

I'm not doing this to pick a fight, but I am making my voice heard; I'm tired of the hypocrisy and the divide between fans. It's okay to like different things; it becomes a problem, however, when all people do is bash the version they don't like in an attempt to pick a fight with others.

The hurling of "fanboy" insults is old and tired. :/ Like what you like, make no apologies for it, and respect the rights of others to do the same. Simple as that.

From DMC1 to DMC4 makes zero sense.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
^ You completely missed the point I was making. >.>

And in any case, that's your interpretation; other people feel differently on the matter.

In any case, aside from my minor nitpick in reference to the comment you made that I quoted in the first place, your review of the novel was of interest.

Like I said, I'm not here to pick a fight: I'm merely offering perspective.

Edit: I apologize if I came off short. It's just the whole "pot calling the kettle black" thing is tiresome.

Last edited:

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Everyone has there favorites i funnily enough like DMC4 dante the most of em as a personality and a person followed by DMC3‘s and then DMC1‘s i thought DMC2 dante was the silent assassin badass type. The way i see it is in DMC4 dante had defeated mundus and gained an ally in trish reminding him of his mother and had closure with vergil so he went back to his cocky care free ways.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Yep and seeing as it is years after dmc4 it is probably lady dying as she would be middle aged and slowed down so it would make sense she might be killed hunting demons

Top Bottom