• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil may cry vs God of war

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
I like DMC games over GoW games but the DMC characters are no match for GoW ones.

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
I'm not even choosing DMC just because we are on a DMC forum. I've had this debate on countless other forums. I always saw DMC as Sony's main action game, not GoW. I was mighty ****ed when they announced DMC4 for 360. Worst day of my life. I f'king hate 360!

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
Both are fantastic games. However, I'm afraid that I'm gonna have to vote for the Devil May Cry series over the God of War series. My being a DMC fanboy doesn't help. ^_^

NerosDevil

Shall we dance?
DMC, why? GoW is purely a button masher, once you've learnt one combo and done one run, thats the most you can get. DMC is stylish and so are the characters which make them unique.

King Avallach

Deity of the Old World
NerosDevil;119227 said:
DMC, why? GoW is purely a button masher, once you've learnt one combo and done one run, thats the most you can get. DMC is stylish and so are the characters which make them unique.

I don't agree, I think GoW games have more to them. Slashing everyone and everything to pieces can only go so far. GoW games compensate with great finisher sequences, some nicely thought out puzzles and a great upgrade system.

NerosDevil

Shall we dance?
The Phantarch;119230 said:
I don't agree, I think GoW games have more to them. Slashing everyone and everything to pieces can only go so far. GoW games compensate with great finisher sequences, some nicely thought out puzzles and a great upgrade system.

GOWs combat is incredibly shallow compared to DMC, DMC has advanced mechanics like on the fly weapon swapping, multiple styles, and by DMC4, on the fly style swapping, DMC3 has 5 devil arms and 5 fire arms each with a massive movelist, and all these options are linked together by one of the deepest most freeform combat systems in gaming today. Western action titles like GOW have NOTHING on a game like DMC, which is packed with intricate combat mechanics such as cancelling and rebounding, DMC3 years after release sees combat videos where players demonstrated nothing but the sheer depth of the combat system, still finding new ways to link moves and combos. You need to watch videos, then find me anything from GOW even half as good.

Now if you want to get into things other than gameplay as you already admitted you see that the combat is debatable, lets talk about story. In my eyes, God of War offers a tragic story that of course invokes sympathy, but nonetheless the story remains the same. Kill kill kill. Anger! Kill more things. In fact if I had to describe Kratos in one word it'll be constipated. He seems he's always trying his hardest to release all that emotion bottled up inside of him but sadly all he can do is vent out with jump rope blades always having more and more anger to spare never fully cleansing himself. I guess that's the draw but its pretty damn repititive.

Now I'm not praising the Devil May Cry stories either as each game offers a pretty average (or less) story. But if you take a look at it as a whole, the entire series, you'll see a very complex and somewhat political world. Now of course God Of War has that too somewhat but because the backstory is based off of mythology, the back story is pretty dull having the politics go down to clearly black and white lines. Though of course the white doesn't mean good. At least in Devil May Cry its a plethera of mythologies to create a unique variation of demonic clans trying to succeed each other, join up, or survive. It's a bit more complex a bit a more sophistacated only when you disregard some of the extreme charactistics of certain people.

King Avallach

Deity of the Old World
NerosDevil;119238 said:
GOWs combat is incredibly shallow compared to DMC, DMC has advanced mechanics like on the fly weapon swapping, multiple styles, and by DMC4, on the fly style swapping, DMC3 has 5 devil arms and 5 fire arms each with a massive movelist, and all these options are linked together by one of the deepest most freeform combat systems in gaming today. Western action titles like GOW have NOTHING on a game like DMC, which is packed with intricate combat mechanics such as cancelling and rebounding, DMC3 years after release sees combat videos where players demonstrated nothing but the sheer depth of the combat system, still finding new ways to link moves and combos. You need to watch videos, then find me anything from GOW even half as good.

Now if you want to get into things other than gameplay as you already admitted you see that the combat is debatable, lets talk about story. In my eyes, God of War offers a tragic story that of course invokes sympathy, but nonetheless the story remains the same. Kill kill kill. Anger! Kill more things. In fact if I had to describe Kratos in one word it'll be constipated. He seems he's always trying his hardest to release all that emotion bottled up inside of him but sadly all he can do is vent out with jump rope blades always having more and more anger to spare never fully cleansing himself. I guess that's the draw but its pretty damn repititive.

Now I'm not praising the Devil May Cry stories either as each game offers a pretty average (or less) story. But if you take a look at it as a whole, the entire series, you'll see a very complex and somewhat political world. Now of course God Of War has that too somewhat but because the backstory is based off of mythology, the back story is pretty dull having the politics go down to clearly black and white lines. Though of course the white doesn't mean good. At least in Devil May Cry its a plethera of mythologies to create a unique variation of demonic clans trying to succeed each other, join up, or survive. It's a bit more complex a bit a more sophistacated only when you disregard some of the extreme charactistics of certain people.

First of all, Trish my apologies if I have offended you.

Now, GOW offers a far more elaborate and consitent plot than the DMC series. I mean in Devil may cry, they change the story of Sparda all the bloody time. Boiling GoW down to kill, kill, kill did not stop it rating highly in the action/ adventure category as well as that you know that there is much more basic variety in the gameplay. It somewhat infuses the Prince of Persia, Onimusha and Devil May Cry into one and it does it quite seamlessly. There's platforming, fighting and powering up aplenty. What else scores it for God Of war? Well the combat is not as shallow as you make out, even in the genre DMC is very combat heavy, therefore some areas in the combat could do with a bit of work but it's still very meaty in area of combat, you've seen Kratos' brutality. It is a key part of the draw and it's nowhere near as restrictive as DMC, not to mention it is easier to suspend disbelief at it due to the fact that there are actually people in it apart from the protagonists and enemies.

NerosDevil

Shall we dance?
The real problem I had with GOW was that it had no replay value at all. You couldn't even carry over your weapons so it was impossible to get everything maxed out.(GOW2 fixed this though) The combat is obviously better in DMC, GOW was designed for the casual players so they can have a sense of being powerful without really working for it. GOW was made so that you could press a button and go "WOW look what I did to that guy!!1". In DMC you have to give a lot more if you want that feeling, it doesn't hold your hand the whole game. The problem is not everybody can handle DMCs depth while everyone can press a button in GoW. DMC4 had the automatic feature for the newer players which also fixed that problem.

As for the story, as I stated; presentation should go to GoW because that's a reason the mainstream loves it so much. It gives you an epic "oh my god" feeling right from the start.
Personally DMC>GOW. DMC just gives me a much better payoff than GOW ever could, more slick and stylish and I generally loved the story more.

Sparda™

Devil May Cry > God of War

More depth in Devil May Cry, more complex gameplay system with advanced AI system in higher difficulties. Splendid boss battles with true character depth on their own.

Breathtaking gothic ambient. Large selection of weapons...

Black Angel

Semper Fidelis
Dante Aseroth;119251 said:
Devil May Cry > God of War

More depth in Devil May Cry, more complex gameplay system with advanced AI system in higher difficulties. Splendid boss battles with true character depth on their own.

Breathtaking gothic ambient. Large selection of weapons...

^I agree 100%

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I have to go with DMC here... I have seen the look of GoW, and it really does not appeal to me.

Demons Destiny

Silenced Vampire
I do like GoW, I enjoyed playing it, but I think that DMC wins for me. DMC is my ultimate favourite game, so I have to go with DMC:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom