• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC 5, the psycological evaluation of Dante

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRose

Kael
What I think they should do is delve into other mythologies. I think it'd be cool to see Dante wrestle with Greek or Roman demons, maybe go up against Harpies and Sirens and the like.

yeah but then people will say it's a GoW rip off even though DMC was before it. people are just wierd like that.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
yeah but then people will say it's a GoW rip off even though DMC was before it. people are just wierd like that.

if an older series copies a newer it is still copying. god of war does greek myths. devil may cry does its own thing.

RedRose

Kael
if an older series copies a newer it is still copying. god of war does greek myths. devil may cry does its own thing.

yeah i know that's what i was saying. besides i really wouldn't want DMC to go greek anyway. it just doesn't fit with the story. really there isn't any historical event that really fits with DMC...DMC is what it is.

ARandomGuy

What I would like to actually to see in a DMC game is for Dante to travel through the 9 circles of Hell... you know... like in the Divine Comedy part 1... the book from which DMC was inspired in the first place.

RedRose

Kael
What I would like to actually to see in a DMC game is for Dante to travel through the 9 circles of Hell... you know... like in the Divine Comedy part 1... the book from which DMC was inspired in the first place.

actualy if you look at DMC 3 hard enough it does exactly that. especialy if you look at the bosses.
the 3rd ring of hell was to be covered in black ice where a three headed dog sat and gobbled up the people as they trudged through the snow against the wind.....what boss does that sound like?

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami

Devil May Cry's version of Hell is not organized like the Hell in the Inferno. besides then people would say it's a rip off of the game Dante's Inferno.

Devil May Cry is one of a kind and should stay that way. it would be better to see 50 DmC games. than one Devil May Cry game that copies something else.

ARandomGuy

actualy if you look at DMC 3 hard enough it does exactly that. especialy if you look at the bosses.
the 3rd ring of hell was to be covered in black ice where a three headed dog sat and gobbled up the people as they trudged through the snow against the wind.....what boss does that sound like?

Through out the entire series you can notice bits and pieces that originate from Dante Alighieri's book, but what I'm looking for is something more ... precise (if I can call it that way). Although now that you mention it, if you look deep enough into Temen-Ni-Gru you can notice that each section and boss kinda symbolize (more or less) a certain circle of hell.

Edit: @darkslayer13: Maybe, but no one actually knows how DMC's Hell is organized because (so far) we haven't seen it.

Meg

Hey, just read through your OP and I think that's a pretty good evaluation for Dante! ^^ I think you made a lot of good points and did a good job of explaining everything. If NT is going with this same kind of idea then maybe DmC has some hope after all. XD

RedRose

Kael
Hey, just read through your OP and I think that's a pretty good evaluation for Dante! ^^ I think you made a lot of good points and did a good job of explaining everything. If NT is going with this same kind of idea then maybe DmC has some hope after all. XD

i really hope so. though i'm pretty sure this is the direction they're going, if not well...**** on me. i should be part of this freaking DMC crew damn it DX i'd be able to do some bad ass stuff with the story, stuff people would really like n all.
and thank you, i get worried sometimes that my topics don't get read as much as i'd like, i do make lots of good, even headed and more or less unbiased opinions that can make for interesting conversation instead of "flame threads" or "haters be hatin' threads" i like to take things to a different level where everyone can clearly see a point based on research and facts rather than personal opinions, though i do have my own opinions in there, but they flow along with the facts. i also am more than willing to take on new information that's factual that i didn't know about and fit it in as well. i'm also more than aware that some of my ideals may be rejected, and that's fine, they are just my ideas and if you have your own evidence to show me that proves my point wrong that's cool and i'm more than willing to talk about it and learn from it. i love to learn new information about things that i love, the only thing i ask everyone that participates in this thread is to do it politely and fairly.
i get sick and tired of trollers ever sence i got trolled myself on my artwork on another forum, and i will not tolerate it here.
(btw know all of this doesn't pertain to you, this is more for everyone else's information, for some reason you just happened to bring it up in me to post it ^^' sorry you just happened to be the unfortunate victim lol)

Reactions: Meg

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I think Devil may cry used the divine comedy as loose inspiration and they had shout-outs to it and i rather see that again because it would be interesting to see how they chose to adapt certain characters from the Divine Comedy to the DMC-verse.
i don't think a straightforward adaptation would be wise since Dante's inferno already did that. But the divine comedy is open to interpretation and is more than just inferno. purgatory and heaven is fair game.
I think it would be interesting to see more Eastern Mythology in DMC because it isn't used very often and I'm excited for Asura's wrath and this gives us a opportunity to do a crossover with okami.

RedRose

Kael
I think Devil may cry used the divine comedy as loose inspiration and they had shout-outs to it and i rather see that again because it would be interesting to see how they chose to adapt certain characters from the Divine Comedy to the DMC-verse.
i don't think a straightforward adaptation would be wise since Dante's inferno already did that. But the divine comedy is open to interpretation and is more than just inferno. purgatory and heaven is fair game.
I think it would be interesting to see more Eastern Mythology in DMC because it isn't used very often and I'm excited for Asura's wrath and this gives us a opportunity to do a crossover with okami.

well the issue with going more eastern is that we're already starting to progress to the west......damn you know what? there needs to be more videogames depicted in the middle east, more arabian based games based on arabic legends and tales.....not that i think DMC shoud do it, it just wouldn't fit but it's justgot me on a inspiration tangent.

Meg

well the issue with going more eastern is that we're already starting to progress to the west......damn you know what? there needs to be more videogames depicted in the middle east, more arabian based games based on arabic legends and tales.....not that i think DMC shoud do it, it just wouldn't fit but it's justgot me on a inspiration tangent.
The first Assassin's Creed did just that. And Prince of Persia to! ^^
I know what you mean though. I'd like to see more games like that, but I agree DMC shouldn't be it.

RedRose

Kael
The first Assassin's Creed did just that. And Prince of Persia to! ^^
I know what you mean though. I'd like to see more games like that, but I agree DMC shouldn't be it.

yeah i love assasin's creed and prince of persia but i'm talking legends that people don't know about. i've been to dubai and the experience that i had there was life changing on my perspective of the middle east. their culture is beautiful

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I dont think the first assassins creed had anything thing to do middle eastern mythology. it was just a game set in the middle east during the crusades.
but it would be interesting to see dante fight a genie.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I dont think the first assassins creed had anything thing to do middle eastern mythology. it was just a game set in the middle east during the crusades.
but it would be interesting to see dante fight a genie.

I think you're right about Assassin's Creed. They might've referenced some stuff, but for the most part, no myths.

I think that would be interesting as well. Perhaps have him fight a Djinn or something like that.

Meg

Given that there's a middle eastern legend about a group that was known as the Assassins and fought against the Templars I'd say Assassin's Creed dealt with middle eastern myths. ;)

However, with DMC what other kinds of mythologies would you like it to incorporate or use as inspiration? How about Chinese mythos? *thinks* Hmm...

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Given that there's a middle eastern legend about a group that was known as the Assassins and fought against the Templars I'd say Assassin's Creed dealt with middle eastern myths. ;)

However, with DMC what other kinds of mythologies would you like it to incorporate or use as inspiration? How about Chinese mythos? *thinks* Hmm...

Y'know what'd be awesome? DMC mixing with Castlevania, somehow.

RedRose

Kael
i think all these ideas are good in theory but i personaly wouldn't want them as actual games to be honest. i'd like DMC to stick to it's own unique story. doing stuff like what yall are talking about is the kinda stuff that kinda ruins series. like for instance, in movies i loved the mummy series....itll the last one...the one with the dragon n all that crap....i couldn't believe i waisted my money on seeing that movie in theatres. though there are some qualities that are good yes but for the most part it sucked....

the reason it sucked was because of several elements:
1. jokes were way too over used and repetitive.
how that relates to DMC: if they don't change things up the same will happen to the DMC series but if they go too over the top with things it could be disasterous.

2. the characters were practucaly chucked into an entirely different culture when previous movies were all in the same area.
how that relates to DMC: we've known dante to be thrown into different places but they all are similar in their own ways, now if you take dante and all of his gothicness and throw him in the land of my little ponies to help them slaughter evil butterflies, it's gonna be a little out of place....though i would pay to see dante slaughter my little ponies >:D i would never buy the game if it were seriously part of the series...though if it were a little side game or something....then maybe i would.... >:D but only if he were slaughtering ponies...

ect. you get my point, these ideas are great to talk about in theory and maybe if the DMC team was able to twist the ideas to fit in the general DMC genre, it'd be alright. but LOTS of changes would have to be made almost to the point that the refrence would almost be unrecodnizeable. or that's my thought on things, idk...now i find myself seeing dante in a desert caused by a demon (similar to the enviornment changes caused by demonic aura in 4) and it's kinda cool.....damn you all! DX lol.

Meg

^ I don't think DMC should outright use different cultures/myths in the games, but I think if used correctly different cultures/myths could serve as interesting inspiration. But it would have to be done very carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom