• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Definitive Edition for PS4 & Xbox One

Judge

it's funny i'm so confused, SE has been said many times and confirmed if not mistaken to have a pc release but no physical copies, DE gets physical release but haven't had official statement on pc release.. and no explanations from capcom whatsoever..

them being said having financial problems really bugged me, in a way i'm still finding it hard to believe, but if i should believe it well that's hurting, i've been gaming since nintendo, and capcom is one company i grew with, it's one of two great developers in my gaming history..

oh, i just visited one of the online shops in my country, and on the report it says DE haven't made any sale there, yet it's one with the cheapest pricing, that's just crazy, and in another online shop, you gotta pre-order it *smacks.. from what i know, the consoles themselves hasn't sold many, so... i could forgive them, lol..

i care so much about this because what other options do we have on h/s currently and later? and i'm playing on pc, i'm grateful already capcom ported their games to pc..

btw, will wii u be able to handle DE on 1080p 60fps, i'm guessing it's the reason

Not sure about whats going on with a possible PC release for DmC. It should at least come out on Steam, but I haven't heard anything about it yet. I think the PC was a big market for DmC's sales, so I'm surprised at that as well.

I haven't heard much about Capcom's financial problems, but I think a lot of gaming companies are facing a similar situation these days where development costs are getting higher and higher while the triple A buisness model is a risky predicament for most companies.

I know how you feel about DmC, I want it to continue because I've been a long time fans since the first game, and I personally didn't see a future for the series with where DMC4 was going. No disrespect to anyone who likes that game, despite the fact it actually had some great moments. Thats my opinion, not saying anyone has to share it.

I'm sure the Wii U could handle DmC vanillia, so I don't see why Capcom don't release it at least digitally if their worried about spending money on printing disks.

DantesLink

Premium
Supporter 2014
Not sure about whats going on with a possible PC release for DmC. It should at least come out on Steam, but I haven't heard anything about it yet. I think the PC was a big market for DmC's sales, so I'm surprised at that as well.

I haven't heard much about Capcom's financial problems, but I think a lot of gaming companies are facing a similar situation these days where development costs are getting higher and higher while the triple A buisness model is a risky predicament for most companies.

I know how you feel about DmC, I want it to continue because I've been a long time fans since the first game, and I personally didn't see a future for the series with where DMC4 was going. No disrespect to anyone who likes that game, despite the fact it actually had some great moments. Thats my opinion, not saying anyone has to share it.

I'm sure the Wii U could handle DmC vanillia, so I don't see why Capcom don't release it at least digitally if their worried about spending money on printing disks.
Yeah, with a lack of a PC version for DmC: DE and no physical release for DMC4SE outside Japan, it seems apparent that these projects had a tight leash on the budget (partly because Capcom still isn't at a comfortable financial level yet, I assume). Hell, I don't believe DmC: DE had a release in Japan, at least not physical. A bit ironic, since the PC version and a few key players from Asia made Vanilla DmC really shine.

As for talks of the Wii U, both are very possible to port over. Mind you, I'm only talking about Vanilla versions of both games (1080p 60 fps DmC & DMC4 LDK mode are most likely not possible on WiiU).

Last edited:
Oh my ****ing god, this is amazing!

I'll be there day one. I hope there's also a PC version (now that youtube supports 60fps), but otherwise, PS4 it is!

Can't wait for this. I begged a lot for Turbo Mode, but I never really thought it would happen, and lock-on? Daaamn.

If I have a pwer I will kill all the devils

Last edited by a moderator:

8BitHero

Scrub
Also, here's me challenging myself with Vergil. No summoned swords or special DT moves. Just mainly swordplay, and I need more practice with him. I play Dante more than anything.
Looking good!

(Speculation post)
But I would think they released DMC4:SE and DmC2 to try and make easy money back. Get fans hyped for re-release without h. Easy moneh!

Freestlying on with Vergil on Twitch at the moment. Come join:D

ArabPikachu

Taking into account how another rerelease of DmC (more precisely called Definitive Edition) has arrived for current-gen consoles, that so-called "Ultimate Edition" of DmC released for previous-gen consoles might as well have been called DmC: Semi-Ultimate Edition.

Still thinking of getting DmC: Definitive Edition on PS4.

sssensational

What are you gonna do with all that power?
Supporter 2014
So the folks behind Borderlands made a compilation picture of people who bought the Handsome Collection. This made me want to do the same for DmC:

CBNn0kXWYAE--MJ.png

Two things I noticed:
1) The Xbox One version of the game must sell horrible, since the PS4/XOne ratio of pictures seemed to be 80/20. It literally took me an hour to find enough pictures of the Xbox One version of the game, and I'm OCD enough to want a balance. Or maybe the PS4 really is the bigger console of the two.
2) Capcom seems to have achieved what they wanted. A lot of the pictures I've come across have languages from European countries on them.

Judge

So the folks behind Borderlands made a compilation picture of people who bought the Handsome Collection. This made me want to do the same for DmC:

Two things I noticed:
1) The Xbox One version of the game must sell horrible, since the PS4/XOne ratio of pictures seemed to be 80/20. It literally took me an hour to find enough pictures of the Xbox One version of the game, and I'm OCD enough to want a balance. Or maybe the PS4 really is the bigger console of the two.
2) Capcom seems to have achieved what they wanted. A lot of the pictures I've come across have languages from European countries on them.

DMC started out on the PS2, so its natural most of the fans are still on the Playstation consoles. To my knowledge DMC has never been popular on the Xbox consoles. Which is a shame, since DmC should have done well on that console with its western style.

You know I've been thinking about it and I think DmC's sales are probably better than the sales of the other DMC games in Europe and maybe the US.

DMC1 sold 2.1, DMC: 1.7 and DMC3: 2.3,

DmC wasn't far off from those games, and the important thing is that the previous games sold well in Japan. DmC wasn't very popular in Japan, despite having a cult following there. Despite the game not selling well in Japan, it sold about the same as the other games without a rerelease (DMC3 SE). Which means DmC must have done well in other teritories, like Europe for example. Places where the series was never popular to being with.

sssensational

What are you gonna do with all that power?
Supporter 2014
DMC started out on the PS2, so its natural most of the fans are still on the Playstation consoles. To my knowledge DMC has never been popular on the Xbox consoles. Which is a shame, since DmC should have done well on that console with its western style.

You make a very good point.

I've always had an underlying feeling that PlayStation kind of silently embraced reboot Dante as 'their' icon. Not only was he featured in All-Stars, he also had a prominent place on the official website back when they celebrated their anniversary.

This makes me wonder what it would be like (in terms of sales) if DmC was a PlayStation exclusive. Not that I /really/ want this, since the modding community have brought me many great things. Besides, if they ever made a sequel and it turned out to be an exclusive, that would be one nasty move imo. :p Just curious.

trickSTAR

Devil May Sexy
You make a very good point.

I've always had an underlying feeling that PlayStation kind of silently embraced reboot Dante as 'their' icon. Not only was he featured in All-Stars, he also had a prominent place on the official website back when they celebrated their anniversary.

This makes me wonder what it would be like (in terms of sales) if DmC was a PlayStation exclusive. Not that I /really/ want this, since the modding community have brought me many great things. Besides, if they ever made a sequel and it turned out to be an exclusive, that would be one nasty move imo. :p Just curious.
If DmC Vanilla had been PS3 exclusive, it wouldn't have had more sales and would have likely been bashed further with jokes like "evun xbux dint wan it."

They would have needed to lead with the DE version if they wanted to pull the exclusive card. If Capcom could have waited and they had DmC DE ready for PS4 launch and made it exclusive they could have avoided a lot of this mess with the Vanilla ver.

Judge

If DmC Vanilla had been PS3 exclusive, it wouldn't have had more sales and would have likely been bashed further with jokes like "evun xbux dint wan it."

They would have needed to lead with the DE version if they wanted to pull the exclusive card. If Capcom could have waited and they had DmC DE ready for PS4 launch and made it exclusive they could have avoided a lot of this mess with the Vanilla ver.

True, a case of bad timing again. DmC DE should've been ready for PS4/X1 launch, the same way Tomb Raider and AC4 were ready at launch. The same way DMC4 was ready for the PS3 launch.

Alternatively they still have the Wii U, which shouldn't have been ingored, it could have done a few hundred thousand copies on that platform.

Veloran

True, a case of bad timing again. DmC DE should've been ready for PS4/X1 launch, the same way Tomb Raider and AC4 were ready at launch. The same way DMC4 was ready for the PS3 launch.

Alternatively they still have the Wii U, which shouldn't have been ingored, it could have done a few hundred thousand copies on that platform.
It didn't even sell anywhere close to a hundred thousand on the PS4 and XB1 combined, so that seems doubtful.

Judge

It didn't even sell anywhere close to a hundred thousand on the PS4 and XB1 combined, so that seems doubtful.

Not sure where you getting sales from, Capcom haven't announced anything yet. Besides, DmC was never released on the Wii U, and there has never been a DMC game released on a Nintendo console.

So I think for certain factors DmC would've been successful on the Wii U, the same way Bayonetta 2 has had modest sales on the Wii U.

Veloran

Not sure where you getting sales from, Capcom haven't announced anything yet. Besides, DmC was never released on the Wii U, and there has never been a DMC game released on a Nintendo console.

So I think for certain factors DmC would've been successful on the Wii U, the same way Bayonetta 2 has had modest sales on the Wii U.
It launched at 5th in it's first week, in a time when there was absolutely no competition, and sold less than ten thousand units across both consoles in the PAL regions. From there it fell to 25th the following week, and has since completely fallen off the charts. If that's indicative of sales in the Americas, then the DE is unlikely to hit fifty thousand, let alone hundreds of thousands.

Considering the Wii-U's relatively small install base and lack of history with the series, I'm almost doubtful a port would even recoup it's own costs to produce.

Judge

It launched at 5th in it's first week, in a time when there was absolutely no competition, and sold less than ten thousand units across both consoles in the PAL regions. From there it fell to 25th the following week, and has since completely fallen off the charts. If that's indicative of sales in the Americas, then the DE is unlikely to hit fifty thousand, let alone hundreds of thousands.

Considering the Wii-U's relatively small install base and lack of history with the series, I'm almost doubtful a port would even recoup it's own costs to produce.

Fair enough. I can't comment on sales, since Capcom haven't confirmed anything.

With regards to the Wii U, I am confident DmC would've been modestly successful the same way Bayonetta 2 had modest sales. No its not going sell more than Mario Kart, but it could do okay. Whether a port would cost a lot of money, I have no idea. I don't know how much it would cost to do that.

Last edited:

Judge

Just picked up my copy a few days ago :) Cant wait to break it open, but im torn between starting the DE or finishing the HD collection first lol

Tough choice. Luckly I played through the HD collection a couple of years ago. They've clearly aged, but DMC1 still feels like a classic. DMC3's combat is the best of the old games, the Vergil boss fights are still insanely good. Even DMC2 wasn't bad when I played it.

I would save DmC DE for afterwards. Your not going to put the HD collection down honestly. DMC3 in itself has so much replayabiliy.

Top Bottom