• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC: Devil May Cry needs to return back to it's horror roots!

Goldsickle

The game's producer Motohide Eshiro actually said that Japanese interpretation of demons were always "cartoony".

But then, I actually find cartoony demons more appealing.
I like the designs for Scarecrows and Angelos in DMC4.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Its harder to have an action game that has horror elements since the main characters tend to be larger than life bad-asses but it could be an interesting excersize trying to figure what Dante's afraid off.

Dante47

I've been saying this for awhile now.
I still think the atmosphere in the first Devil May Cry surpasses any of the Resident Evil after Resident Evil 2. It's a genuinly chilling experience, one of demonic nature that we hadn't really seen in gaming since Castlevania.

seraphmaycry

I still think the atmosphere in the first Devil May Cry surpasses any of the Resident Evil after Resident Evil 2. It's a genuinly chilling experience, one of demonic nature that we hadn't really seen in gaming since Castlevania.

i just like the soundtrack, that feels very nice and creepy, with things like living cave and nelo angelos theme with the ringing bells, added a great atmosphere to it all.

Dante47

i just like the soundtrack, that feels very nice and creepy, with things like living cave and nelo angelos theme with the ringing bells, added a great atmosphere to it all.
Agreed! One scene that I remember creeping me out was whenever Dante retrieves the sword, Alastor, but is soon impaled by it. In a pretty haunting moment, Dante slowly levitates from the ground, and through the sword, blood spurting every where. This, of course, is capitalized with the game's chilling music. The game is full of brilliantly crafted scenes like this, and it's something series desperately needs again.

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
Then check out my old thread called "What Devil May Cry Should've Been...". It's a long title, but you'd get what I mean...

Goldsickle

The fact that we're growing up makes it harder for games to give us something scary. :p
This, this and totally this.

Something I've been saying in a lot of horror game forums.

It's not that games have become less scary, it's that people have become very accustomed to horror games.
Also the fact that it's easier to be impressed when you're younger or when you're still a kid.

Despite this basic psychological fact, veteran fanboys insist that horror games these days "lack the atmosphere".
Wrong.
It's just that these fanboys' nostalgia goggles are screwed on too tight.

I've been playing several horror games starting from the first Resident Evil game since 1996.
After playing and completing several titles, it has become difficult to scare me, save for jump scares I wasn't expecting.

Also, thinking hard about my experience with Resident Evil, I wasn't really scared by the boxy polygon creatures wandering the halls of the mansion.
What I was feeling was the tension of dying and losing my progress, forcing me to restart from a previous save, due to the old game save format.
That tension is confused with me being actually scared of the creatures and atmosphere.

People need to rethink about what they really like about past horror games and replay them today to make sure that it wasn't just nostalgia deluding them into thinking "older games are more awesome".

MigsRZXAStylish

This, this and totally this.

Something I've been saying in a lot of horror game forums.

It's not that games have become less scary, it's that people have become very accustomed to horror games.
Also the fact that it's easier to be impressed when you're younger or when you're still a kid.

Despite this basic psychological fact, veteran fanboys insist that horror games these days "lack the atmosphere".
Wrong.
It's just that these fanboys' nostalgia goggles are screwed on too tight.

I've been playing several horror games starting from the first Resident Evil game since 1996.
After playing and completing several titles, it has become difficult to scare me, save for jump scares I wasn't expecting.

Also, thinking hard about my experience with Resident Evil, I wasn't really scared by the boxy polygon creatures wandering the halls of the mansion.
What I was feeling was the tension of dying and losing my progress, forcing me to restart from a previous save, due to the old game save format.
That tension is confused with me being actually scared of the creatures and atmosphere.

People need to rethink about what they really like about past horror games and replay them today to make sure that it wasn't just nostalgia deluding them into thinking "older games are more awesome".
I think you really make a good point here. Especially on the last one. I will leave your experience on RE be...

seraphmaycry

Agreed! One scene that I remember creeping me out was whenever Dante retrieves the sword, Alastor, but is soon impaled by it. In a pretty haunting moment, Dante slowly levitates from the ground, and through the sword, blood spurting every where. This, of course, is capitalized with the game's chilling music. The game is full of brilliantly crafted scenes like this, and it's something series desperately needs again.

i didn't actually like that scene much because the graphics made Dante look so weird, but it is a great and freaky moment.

Speaking of RE, isn't it true that this ENTIRE franchise was made because the original build for a potential RE4 strayed from its horror roots

yeah lol

MigsRZXAStylish

Speaking of RE, isn't it true that this ENTIRE franchise was made because the original build for a potential RE4 strayed from its horror roots
Team Little Devils were supposed to do that, but their design strayed it too far from being even called RE. So instead of throwing the idea away like it's a piece of crap, they decided to make this very IP we see now.

Also, Dante has a resemblance to Leon S Kennedy because of their original idea getting scrapped and turn that scrap into something new!

Razyel

Soul Reaver
I think that if we add more horror just for horror's sake DMC becomes a cheap Castlevania copy.

Razyel

Soul Reaver
View attachment 1065
Seriously guys, this is the second time this week
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/113/729/look-at-all-the-****s-i-dont-give-theyre-just-falling-from-the-sky.jpg

AND...

806.jpg

gaiusofdante1991

Philosopher, novelist, and avid gamer.
Just to put it out there, but considering just how many characters there are in DmC alone, plus any additional characters that can come to life in the games to follow, shouldn't the music score incorporate different styles of music, or even instruments, for each character and tie them into each other. Once Upon a Time in the West did that beautifully and it gave me chills just to hear the themes. It's an idea to play with at least.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Well when talking about a horror aspect, I don't think Devil May Cry needs to go straight evil dead with it all. Devil May Cry has been fine with what elements it has and doesn't really need a lot of horror thrown into it. DMC1-4 is more anime and J-cinema which relies on looking cool, acting cool, and over the top style. The horror aspect doesn't need to be in there since DMC is doing fine as is.
The same can be said for DmC. It's an edgy "**** the system" type movie with more leaning on the western loner architect and over the top action in the environment. The horror in that isn't stressed as such because there's no need. It's an action adventure story with visual effects and stunts. Horror would just be an unnecessary add on in my opinion.

The way I see it, Devil May Cry CAN have horror, but it could take away from the stylish action and goofiness of the series.

Top Bottom