• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC outfit

DmcJACKPOT

Let's rock!
Why does Dante change his style so quick ?
_ In DMC3, he wears a red leather coat
_ DMC1, he wears his mother's coat ( I find it really similar to his mother's clothing in the picture)
_ DMC4, it's more Western
_ DMC2, a red coat with dark vest
I just wanna know some opinions

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
I always just thought it was supposed to change as styles changed. Like...DMC3's coat was a popular style that year and so he bought that, then it changed later and...yeah. I dunno, though. Years pass between each of the games, right? It could just be a reflection of his changing tastes.... *honestly has no idea*

Or maybe a strange force (i.e. game developers) crept into his brain and made him pick the strangest thing they could think of?

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
If you look at the games in the order they were made in things make a bit more sense DMC1 Dante and DMC2 Dante's outfits go together. DMC3 is a prequel so the change in style fits and DMC 4 Dante is wearing something DMC3 Dante would wear. Dante's personality does somthing similer ( except DMC2 Dante talks less than DMC1 Dante and DMC 4 Dante talks more than DMC3 Dante)

In universe the only explanation is that Dante has a split personality.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Why does Dante change his style so quick ?
_ In DMC3, he wears a red leather coat
_ DMC1, he wears his mother's coat ( I find it really similar to his mother's clothing in the picture)
_ DMC4, it's more Western
_ DMC2, a red coat with dark vest
I just wanna know some opinions
Umm...

Dude, you can't expect the guy to wear the same outfit years in a row? People change their clothes on a daily basis, and the games take place years apart from each other. It's not quickly at all.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
The way I see it;

DMC3 Dante was just starting out, and was pretty poor. He just wore baggy pants, black boots, and fingerless gloves. All he could afford was a cool looking coat, and pizza. His office was given to him by Enzo as well.

DMC1 Dante was now actually making a bit of money and as suchwas able to get better hunting clothes for demon hunting. Also I guess he decided the whole "shirtless" look was either embaressing or too cold.

DMC4 Dante was now able to earn enough to get the western style. Honestly I think this was the outfit that probably cost the most money to buy as it comes with a lot of accesories to add on like chaps, the stylish leather coat, and the vest too.

DMC2 Dante probably has these clothes because he's decided to stop spending so much money on looking cool and just get clothes that present who he is. This, DMC2 outfit. He probably had to spend money on this one too, but I guess when you get serious about what you do, you start racking up a lot of money.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
The way I see it;

DMC3 Dante was just starting out, and was pretty poor. He just wore baggy pants, black boots, and fingerless gloves. All he could afford was a cool looking coat, and pizza. His office was given to him by Enzo as well.

DMC1 Dante was now actually making a bit of money and as suchwas able to get better hunting clothes for demon hunting. Also I guess he decided the whole "shirtless" look was either embaressing or too cold.

DMC4 Dante was now able to earn enough to get the western style. Honestly I think this was the outfit that probably cost the most money to buy as it comes with a lot of accesories to add on like chaps, the stylish leather coat, and the vest too.

DMC2 Dante probably has these clothes because he's decided to stop spending so much money on looking cool and just get clothes that present who he is. This, DMC2 outfit. He probably had to spend money on this one too, but I guess when you get serious about what you do, you start racking up a lot of money.
Interesting theory but there is just one problem. DMC1 Dante is just as poor as DMC3 Dante. He causes so much damage that the repair bills often cost more than his pay from the job (established in the anime) and the DMC2 novel mentions that DMC2 Dante has trouble paying his rent.

Apparently saving the world isn't a high paying job (which is unfortunate because Dante can't really do much else, maybe he should start a band)

TheDarkSlayer

Gilver FTW!
If you look at the games in the order they were made in things make a bit more sense DMC1 Dante and DMC2 Dante's outfits go together. DMC3 is a prequel so the change in style fits and DMC 4 Dante is wearing something DMC3 Dante would wear. Dante's personality does somthing similer ( except DMC2 Dante talks less than DMC1 Dante and DMC 4 Dante talks more than DMC3 Dante)

In universe the only explanation is that Dante has a split personality.

It really isn't. I have never met anyone who wears the same outfit for years in a raw, and hopefully never will

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
It really isn't. I have never met anyone who wears the same outfit for years in a raw, and hopefully never will
It's not just the individual outfits. The entire style changes. No one who dresses like DMC1 and DMC2 Dante would also dress like DMC3 and DMC4 Dante without a major change in personality. In between DMC1 and DMC4 he switches from a refined but still flashy style to something that can only be decribed as "gay cowboy" (no offense towards anyone who is gay and/or a cowboy is intended by that statement) no one has both of those outfits in their closet at the same time.

TheDarkSlayer

Gilver FTW!
It's not just the individual outfits. The entire style changes. No one who dresses like DMC1 and DMC2 Dante would also dress like DMC3 and DMC4 Dante without a major change in personality. In between DMC1 and DMC4 he switches from a refined but still flashy style to something that can only be decribed as "gay cowboy" (no offense towards anyone who is gay and/or a cowboy is intended by that statement) no one has both of those outfits in their closet at the same time.

"(no offense towards anyone who is gay and/or a cowboy is intended by that statement) " lol
People can change their style over the years, it's not anything unusual. But why are we even discussing about it? It's obvious that Dante's appearance changed due to the different teams & designers this franchise has seen.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
"(no offense towards anyone who is gay and/or a cowboy is intended by that statement) " lol
People can change their style over the years, it's not anything unusual. But why are we even discussing about it? It's obvious that Dante's appearance changed due to the different teams & designers this franchise has seen.

1. Some change would make sense but the degree of change is a bit more than normal.
2. We are discussing this because it's the topic of this thread and because inconstant design isn't an in-universe explanation.

DragonMaster2010

Interesting theory but there is just one problem. DMC1 Dante is just as poor as DMC3 Dante. He causes so much damage that the repair bills often cost more than his pay from the job (established in the anime) and the DMC2 novel mentions that DMC2 Dante has trouble paying his rent.

Apparently saving the world isn't a high paying job (which is unfortunate because Dante can't really do much else, maybe he should start a band)

But he had to make a little bit more then when he was starting out, right? I mean no one can be that small of money forever. At least a little bit more he's gotta be earning even though he destroys a lot of stuff in his demon hunting.

Devil Tang

Oh dude, Dante is always fighting, outfit can be damaged, right? Then change clothe once a year, werid

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well, from DMC1 to 2 the staff changed so the artists are all different so a different style in normal, same for the rest. The director might be the same but the artists and producers changed and their imput changed the designs.

If you want to talk about it in terms of canon it's more farfetched to say that the man has multiple personalities than admiting that he has more than one outfit.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Well, from DMC1 to 2 the staff changed so the artists are all different so a different style in normal, same for the rest. The director might be the same but the artists and producers changed and their imput changed the designs.

If you want to talk about it in terms of canon it's more farfetched to say that the man has multiple personalities than admiting that he has more than one outfit.
1. No one is saying that it is odd that he has mutiple outfits. What is odd is the extreme difference in style between the different outfits he owns.
2. Dante's behavior is even more inconstant than he way he dresses so multiple personalities isn't an unresonable theory.

DragonMaster2010

1. No one is saying that it is odd that he has mutiple outfits. What is odd is the extreme difference in style between the different outfits he owns.
2. Dante's behavior is even more inconstant than he way he dresses so multiple personalities isn't an unresonable theory.

Well that's because each DMC is like years ahead from each. Well except DMC1 to DMC4. That one made no sense to me.

Chibi Dante

Keepin' it Stylish!
Premium
Dante was going for more of a cowboy look in DMC4. At least with the boots. Everything about DMC4 Dante's costume was a combination of all the DMC outfits. The fingerless gloves = DMC3, The rolled up sleeves = DMC1, The belt buckles/Vest = DMC2, and everything else was just new accessories. Since every DMC takes place years apart from each other, I couldn't see Dante wearing the same outfit in every game. There are unlockables, which is nice.

DMC3 Dante = 18
DMC1 Dante = 28 (28 should be his age here. Trish: "You're the man who lost a mother and a brother to evil twenty years ago." Dante was eight when that event took place.)
DMC4 Dante = Mid-30's? I remember Reuben Langdon saying something like Dante being roughly aged 30.
DMC2 Dante = Early 40's.

Point is, as we mature and get older, we tend to spruce up our styles. That is exactly what Dante is doing. It'd be hard to see DMC2 Dante shirtless. XD It'd seem out of character. But being shirtless seemed to work for DMC3 Dante, which is good (Worked for me too 'cause I cosplayed as that iteration of Dante 8D).

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I've got four different coats, and over the years I've usually had more than one. What's odd about that?

Dante's style doesn't change that much in the sense he always wears red and 3/4 length coats. If I look at how people were dressing in the 80s, the 90s and now, the styles have changed, but people also inject their preferences into what they wear. Seems a good enough explanation to apply to Dante in Dante's world, if you want one.

Top Bottom