• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Sales 'solid'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Some people never learn.

No need to keep that going, it should have ended already.

Allow me to quote myself
so how about you learn to read your own post (and the post it's quoting) before trying to get smart with me

But let's jump back to the main topic (while you prepare your sources and/or a snappy comeback on why you are exempt from needing to provide them) DmC sold horribly below expectations. The initial projected sales were based on DmC topping DMC4's sales, which cleared 2 million in the first 2 weeks. Meanwhile DmC is now celebrating hitting 1.1 million after several months being on the shelves.

When they dropped their projections to only 2 million, that is a quarter of the sales of DMC4, in the same span of time. Can you imagine how mad they were when they had to halve that number a second time? Capcom is very far from happy, going as far as blaming "western outsourcing" for capcom's recent drop in quality, specifically naming games like resident evil 6 and DmC.

TL;DR
projections were based on the sales of the original titles, but they were so far undershot capcom is announcing blame to the press and calling out games by name. This is not the mark of a successful reboot, not in their eyes, at least.
Look at the link I posted in my previous post. Motohide said that DMC4 sold 2.7 million and that article was written in 2010. Capcom expected 2million sales for DmC. 2 million is 74.1% of 2.7 million. Do the math.

Also, I never said that DMC sales are irrelevant to this discussion. Your argument is what that is irrelevant to me because I know fully well how DmC sold less than DMC despite them wanting to appeal to a wider audience and the whole situation behind it.

P.S. I'm still waiting for you to prove that DMCHD is overall outselling DmC. Don't try to wiggle your way out of it.

Wind your necks in you two, by all means make a point & debate but no need to be so condescending about it, it just makes you look like immature children who cant speak in an adult manner.

Man, you need to post more often. More level head people like you would be nice.

More level headed people who could communicate without belittling each other would indeed be 'nice'.

crush

Devil May Cry needed something to get on the radar because it was just fading away. I don't know if we can say a reboot is the most ideal choice but Devil May Cry needed something. The series was at a creative dead end and looked like it was seriously going nowhere. Narrowing down it's audience with every go round. Really on a path of inevitable self destruction. I imagine a hypothetical DMC 5 wouldn't have even sold as much as the previous entry because the once king of hack and slashers is just overshadowed by so many other games this day and age. People can say what they want about DmC but, there's no denying it got people's attention.

DmC did draw in some new fans to the franchise and definitely opened some doors or where to branch it out and evolve down the line. A DmC movie is in the works and who knows what that could do. That's introducing Devil May Cry to the movie going audience. There's more of a film in DmC too and I 'd like to see it come together well. Being optimistic. Fingers crossed.

And I agree, the game only came out and January and passed that 1 million mark. That's not a failure. There's games out there that have been out for years and still never did that.

I also agree in that. If DMC5 came out without ideas, I could guess the whole entire story with you guys even if the title was just "Devil may cry 5". Even before DMC4 there was that speculation that Vergil's kid will turn up as the second playable character...(It actually wasn't much of a guess since the world of DMC is relatively small. Which is good and bad sometimes.)
Even if it has the DMC brand and Capcom was holding the shoulders of NT, the sales ain't that bad.
I would really love to see the movie. We had that cinematic trailer remember? It was darn awesome when I saw it on the big screen at TGS.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
Yes......its quite.....solid....indeed.....
halolz-dot-com-metalgearsolid-kentuckyfriedchicken.gif
Imagining Metal Gear Solid with DmC cast now lol XD

If Dante and Vergil had instead had a fist fight on top of a giant metal gear, before having a race to escape out of a tunnel while shooting at each other with machine guns, now that would've been one badass of an ending :cool:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Now its no longer a handheld game, its coming out for consoles. So yeah, again, its not like Revelations or any other offshoot like Operation Raccoon City prevented RE 6 from releasing. Capcom doesn't just develop one game a year you know. I mean for all the gloating anti's do with DMC 4's sales, they sure keep it to a lower standard concerning other games.

I have this feeling like you're just telling Capcom to do more of the same because it sells more, just like what Activision does. Yes, DMC 4 was more profitable and any other company would've just kept on churning out the same old stuff, but Capcom, in some weird way, realized that something was wrong with DMC 4 compared to other games, and honestly they were right in a way. I'm surprised it even came from them of all people, i thought Sony Santa Monica would more then likely change GOW a bit with a new protagonist, but since they're 1st party and GOW sells like hotcakes, they don't need to, they can afford to keep releasing the same stuff every year or so, Capcom can't and thus that's why they were outsourcing to western devs. But at the same time, look at what's happen to the GOW series, they've become complacent with there success do nothing to spice up the franchise but keep on churning out the same old stuff. Just because a game sells more does not make it a good game (CoD for example).

Like i said above, success does not equal quality. CoD and GOW are two of the most milked games this generation, nothing in there gameplay or even aesthetic has brought anything new. Its always the same old stuff, it'll eventually wear off. Do you really want games that keep on releasing the same old stuff while new games like MGR are given lower sales just because Raiden doesn't do a sex mini-game? I doubt it.

Also its highly subjective if what you deem a failure of DmC solely because you prefer the old games, i wonder if that's what people felt when DMC 3 release. I deem DMC 1 the best but do you honestly think it would be the success it is today like it was in 2001? I doubt it. That's the thing that a particular group of fans can't get, nostalgia only last for so long until people want to move on. Would you prefer if Capcom keeps on rereleasing the old DMC games forever? Of course not (right?), you would want something new by then.

The need for change is that it can't rely on a gameplay mechanic for too long as a PS2 game, DMC 4's gameplay is practically DMC 3 gameplay 2.0 and not even by much. Conform to the time: Japanese games aren't selling, western people aren't too keen with typical Japanese designed protagonist and story tropes anymore. Also, people have higher standards then fighting in small combat arenas, especially for a single player $60 game, people nowadays want better graphics, better voice acting, a story, something that doesn't rely on an old mechanic. This is what conforming is about. Yes some people have become complacent with GOW, CoD and DMC, but eventually it will wear out its welcome, DMC did sooner then the others because the other games can afford to sell a bit less. No one would've thought in the PS2 and PS1 era that the Final Fantasy series would become a shadow of its former self, same with Sonic.
Exactly. I still deem DMC 1 the best as well really based on nostalgic heartstrings more than anything but, it doesn't take a genius to realize DMC was at a creative dead end and was really going nowhere.

I think the original series is "rose tinted" by the very fanatical side. I know I don't want to play the same game over and over again. This is why I never bought the HD Collection. I still have the original copies of the trilogy for the PS2 I still play to this day occasionally. You can't really give me a real reason to buy the DMC HD Collection. I don't care about updated graphics. That's all it is. DMC HD is a waste of money to me.

All this persistent talk to try and convince everyone that Capcom shouldn't see this as a good thing is just a lot of people so hung up over the original series they don't want to see DmC succeed in any way shape or form. You can't say we don't have some unfairly biased people in the audience when every discussion held about the new game is invaded by the fanatical anti-DmC side to throw in comparisons to the older games with comments that also basically translates to how they think changes weren't needed. And no matter how much they try to beat around the bush, it's just their own personal preferences and opinions.

DmC really being condemned by people who are just so fanatical and stubborn hardly giving it a fighting chance at all making it suffer simply out of spite is a shame. It just really discourages any kind of creative input. It kind of screams that people really do just want more of the same. Because we don't get enough of that already in the big name game department.

crush

Exactly. I still deem DMC 1 the best as well really based on nostalgic heartstrings more than anything but, it doesn't take a genius to realize DMC was at a creative dead end and was really going nowhere.
I think the original series is "rose tinted" by the very fanatical side. I know I don't want to play the same game over and over again. This is why I never bought the HD Collection. I still have the original copies of the trilogy for the PS2 I still play to this day occasionally. You can't really give me a real reason to buy the DMC HD Collection. I don't care about updated graphics. That's all it is. DMC HD is a waste of money to me.
All this persistent talk to try and convince everyone that Capcom shouldn't see this as a good thing is just a lot of people so hung up over the original series they don't want to see DmC succeed in any way shape or form. You can't say we don't have some unfairly biased people in the audience when every discussion held about the new game is invaded by the fanatical anti-DmC side to throw in comparisons to the older games with comments that also basically translates to how they think changes weren't needed. And no matter how much they try to beat around the bush, it's just their own personal preferences and opinions.
DmC really being condemned by people who are just so fanatical and stubborn hardly giving it a fighting chance at all making it suffer simply out of spite is a shame. It just really discourages any kind of creative input. It kind of screams that people really do just want more of the same. Because we don't get enough of that already in the big name game department.

DMCHD is real terrible, all those glitches and all. But we can play DMC2 relatively bugless than before you know!
Well...yeah, but it's all true Tameem made such a racket that makes our opinions sound like him.
I know fans have their own preferences and Dantes but it's only Capcom having a try. And a try that isn't like racoon city.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Now its no longer a handheld game, its coming out for consoles. So yeah, again, its not like Revelations or any other offshoot like Operation Raccoon City prevented RE 6 from releasing. Capcom doesn't just develop one game a year you know. I mean for all the gloating anti's do with DMC 4's sales, they sure keep it to a lower standard concerning other games.

I have this feeling like you're just telling Capcom to do more of the same because it sells more, just like what Activision does. Yes, DMC 4 was more profitable and any other company would've just kept on churning out the same old stuff, but Capcom, in some weird way, realized that something was wrong with DMC 4 compared to other games, and honestly they were right in a way. I'm surprised it even came from them of all people, i thought Sony Santa Monica would more then likely change GOW a bit with a new protagonist, but since they're 1st party and GOW sells like hotcakes, they don't need to, they can afford to keep releasing the same stuff every year or so, Capcom can't and thus that's why they were outsourcing to western devs. But at the same time, look at what's happen to the GOW series, they've become complacent with there success do nothing to spice up the franchise but keep on churning out the same old stuff. Just because a game sells more does not make it a good game (CoD for example).

Like i said above, success does not equal quality. CoD and GOW are two of the most milked games this generation, nothing in there gameplay or even aesthetic has brought anything new. Its always the same old stuff, it'll eventually wear off. Do you really want games that keep on releasing the same old stuff while new games like MGR are given lower sales just because Raiden doesn't do a sex mini-game? I doubt it.

Also its highly subjective if what you deem a failure of DmC solely because you prefer the old games, i wonder if that's what people felt when DMC 3 release. I deem DMC 1 the best but do you honestly think it would be the success it is today like it was in 2001? I doubt it. That's the thing that a particular group of fans can't get, nostalgia only last for so long until people want to move on. Would you prefer if Capcom keeps on rereleasing the old DMC games forever? Of course not (right?), you would want something new by then.

The need for change is that it can't rely on a gameplay mechanic for too long as a PS2 game, DMC 4's gameplay is practically DMC 3 gameplay 2.0 and not even by much. Conform to the time: Japanese games aren't selling, western people aren't too keen with typical Japanese designed protagonist and story tropes anymore. Also, people have higher standards then fighting in small combat arenas, especially for a single player $60 game, people nowadays want better graphics, better voice acting, a story, something that doesn't rely on an old mechanic. This is what conforming is about. Yes some people have become complacent with GOW, CoD and DMC, but eventually it will wear out its welcome, DMC did sooner then the others because the other games can afford to sell a bit less. No one would've thought in the PS2 and PS1 era that the Final Fantasy series would become a shadow of its former self, same with Sonic.

It's still a handheld game, but PORTED to consoles with HD settings. It was not remade exclusively for the consoles and the PC. DMC4 was the most successful DMC game concerning sales, it's not "gloating".

Nope, i was saying that franchises that doesn't changes up everything are mostly like to stay successful. "Realized that something was wrong with DMC4 and they were right", what is that something? They were right? What's right in what they have done with the franchise? It's not right just because you liked the outcome, the game bombed in the market and displeased even the fanbase, it's not a "right" choice for a company that makes entertainment. DMC changed little by little over the games, it's a clear progression that can be seen, it's nothing like GoW did, the only GoW that made real changes to the gameplay was GoW3 that i played just a bit so i can't talk much about it. And just because a game bombed compared to its predecessors this not means it is one misconceived masterpiece. Capcom do not needed to do another GoW, what i was saying here is not about how much a game sells overall but how much people can appreciate a game of an already stabilished franchise like DMC and in this case the sales do tells us a lot about it, as yourself said before: it is a niche game. Just look at how wonderful of a fighting game SSFIV is, and it stays faithful to its roots since the early 90s, it's not the "same crap all over again", its the same basis and mechanics foundations with changes and/or improvements.

I never said that success equals quality, we are talking just about sellings here and not quality overall. The same example i used before: Street Fighter "remains the same" for about 25 years, it's a great game, it's sucessful on the market and have a huge and loyal fanbase. If someone gets tired of playing that game that's does not mean that all the other fans will do, and people never stop to play good games, just look at Zelda OoT or even Super Mario World, people play these things even nowadays. I have neutral feelings about this, i don't give a flying **** if GoW sells more than DMC or MGR as long as this doesn't deprive me from having my DMC experience.

Again: we are talking about sales here, it's much a failure to some extent. DmC was a failure to me personaly because it was a downgrade in the gameplay and replaced the characters that i (and old DMC fans) liked for characters i don't like. DMC was indeed a good game, but the series itself was much improved since them without losing what makes me and most fans recognize DMC as a game, if DMC3 never had existed people would still like DMC playstyle, would still be a good game if it had take another path in its evolution regarding the combat system. If i wanted something too much different from DMC, i would play something else and not DMC, i don't need to stop playing DMC to play or support another games. Things need to have some changes and improvement, but what changing styles on the fly, Exceed, Devil Bringer, Pandora, Lucifer, Darkslayer for Dante and Nero was if not changes and additions to the franchise? You don't have to reboot a game to give interesting things to it.
And what is DmC gameplay if not a downgraded DMC3 and 4 gameplay? Seriously, what new possibilities and how much of them DmC introduced to the gameplay? DmC had all that you said and still bombed, how can you say that "people nowadays wants this, this and this" but a game that clearly has some of this features do not please them? People never played DMC for that experience, i mean: DMC was ever all about having a background to kill some demons, and later it evolved to doing it in a stylish way but with some improved stories, the story and "cinematic" things were always a complement to the gameplay and nothing more. That's what i'm talking about when i say the reboot is too much different from DMC that it's even hard to recognize as a DMC game.

DisappointedSparda

The Disappointed

While i do agree somewhat that DMC hit a dead end, it still holds a ton of potential, something that a lot of Pros seem to think DmC has, which it does, but that doesn't mean that the original series didn't have any potential either. I mean it really is a matter of taste. I love DMC 1 and its Castlevania-esque gothic backgrounds and exploration. It didn't feel like i was in some boxed combat arena unlike the other games after it, there were details in the background that were interesting and such. While some of DmC's levels are good, some are completely barren Mission 17 & 18 especially. DmC, even with all of NT's prowess in level design, still can't hold a candle to DMC 1's superior level in detail and just straight out supernatural feeling. DmC just feels too....real and normal, it just wasn't supernatural enough for me.

The graphics aren't even updated, they're just uncompressed and have a bit of anti-aliasing, something i wouldn't call an upgrade. I don't think its a waste of money to the people who have never played the games before. I already own all the originals, i don't need to buy the Collection, especially when it doesn't offer any new content in its unlockables. But for people who haven't played the originals its a bargain.

Well i can kind of see where they're coming from, it is a drastic change somewhat at least aesthetically, i don't think its that drastic that it warrants a dealbreaker, at least imo, but i also don't think the overall character design is all that great. But really, even the gameplay is not that bad compared to DMC 2. I just think both DmC and DMC can both co-exist, Megaman did it, Metal Gear just did it, i don't see why DMC cannot.

I've been lurking these forums for quite a while and while i do agree there are some stalwart anti's here, the majority here are mostly Pro. I think this is the only Pro forum when it pertains to DmC. But more often then not Anti's have flooded the other mainstream DmC forums like GameFAQS and IGN. Its not as bad here as it is in those two forums, GameFAQS especially.

While i think all opinions are biased in and of themselves, i have to agree that Haters opinions are biased to a fault, they don't seem to want to compromise with anything unfortunately, thus why the Haters that i've covered in my blog are just a taste of what i've encountered.

They don't have to give it a chance, they just have to leave it alone already and wait for the hypothetical DMC 5 to be announced. That's my problem with them. They can have all these unrealistic expectations from a company for all i care, but try not to ruin it for people who do like what Capcom have offered. Because everytime i see an Hater push the HD Collection to a person who was considering in buying DmC, i wonder how would they like it if a GOW player pushed the GOW Collection at them and flooded DMC boards with "GOW is superior to DMC" threads. I fine with them not approving of the game and not playing it, their loss but that doesn't mean that they should try to push there taste onto others that's just crossing a line and its also something that should be of no concern to them. But obviously some Haters have a stupid agenda, and those are the ones that are the most awful of all.

I don't think, for me especially, that such a change was needed. Practically every iteration after DMC 1 has been its own reboot in a way. Hideki Kamiya even said that DMC 3 changed Dante's origin completely in what envisioned. I guess that goes to show that all reboots aren't so bad then, though i think DMC 3 sacrifice the tone in what DMC 1 had for some Inuyasha lite storyline. The storyline was very well done even though its a standards trope in anime, but, it just lost that special something that DMC 1 offered that the series, not even DmC, has never been able to retain back that ominous feeling back.

DMCHD is real terrible, all those glitches and all. But we can play DMC2 relatively bugless than before you know!
Well...yeah, but it's all true Tameem made such a racket that makes our opinions sound like him.
I know fans have their own preferences and Dantes but it's only Capcom having a try. And a try that isn't like racoon city.
How can a bug within a bug which is DMC 2 be bugless. I rather it be buggy so there's some cool glitches like Rockstar's games.
I don't think Tameem make such a racket its because people want someone to hate and thus Tameem was the perfect choice for them. I have no problem with him at all. But i really hope he isn't Creative Director if there's a DmC 2, i rather the Vergil's Downfall team take charge because obviously that DLC was much better, story and character wise, then what was in the main game.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I'm not trying to make anyone like DmC nor am I saying they have to. I couldn't care less. But it is a game that gets more hate than it deserves because there is a lot of ridiculous fans that hardly gave it a shot at all and condemned this game as soon as it showed up. Makes it severely underrated.

Earlier I said maybe a reboot maybe isn't the most ideal choice but this series undeniably needed something. And even though I've been a fan since this series inception DmC isn't a bad game and is one of the better ones in the series. My personal favorite is still DMC 1 but DmC is better than 2 and 4 hands down and it has made a very encouraging building block to improve upon. DmC's got some really good things going for it and a bit of polish could turn it in to the best Devil May Cry yet.

And I will put money on a very simple explanation to why this game also gets a lot of hate, it's because it doesn't look like an anime anymore. I don't even want to hear anyone reply to that because you can't change my mind. Being an avid anime fan myself I know how ridiculous that fanbase can get.

The ones like this.

inb4 I get jumped by raging anime fans
tumblr_inline_mlvpnrYjIf1qz4rgp.gif

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
They don't have to give it a chance, they just have to leave it alone already and wait for the hypothetical DMC 5 to be announced. That's my problem with them. They can have all these unrealistic expectations from a company for all i care, but try not to ruin it for people who do like what Capcom have offered. Because everytime i see an Hater push the HD Collection to a person who was considering in buying DmC, i wonder how would they like it if a GOW player pushed the GOW Collection at them and flooded DMC boards with "GOW is superior to DMC" threads. I fine with them not approving of the game and not playing it, their loss but that doesn't mean that they should try to push there taste onto others that's just crossing a line and its also something that should be of no concern to them. But obviously some Haters have a stupid agenda, and those are the ones that are the most awful of all.

I don't think, for me especially, that such a change was needed. Practically every iteration after DMC 1 has been its own reboot in a way.
Hideki Kamiya even said that DMC 3 changed Dante's origin completely in what envisioned.
I guess that goes to show that all reboots aren't so bad then, though i think DMC 3 sacrifice the tone in what DMC 1 had for some Inuyasha lite storyline. The storyline was very well done even though its a standards trope in anime, but, it just lost that special something that DMC 1 offered that the series, not even DmC, has never been able to retain back that ominous feeling back.

How can a bug within a bug which is DMC 2 be bugless. I rather it be buggy so there's some cool glitches like Rockstar's games.
I don't think Tameem make such a racket its because people want someone to hate and thus Tameem was the perfect choice for them. I have no problem with him at all. But i really hope he isn't Creative Director if there's a DmC 2, i rather the Vergil's Downfall team take charge because obviously that DLC was much better, story and character wise, then what was in the main game.

>talks how unrealistic expectations from DMC fans are
>talks about both series being released simultaneous as parallel series even if it doesn't mean much profit for Capcom in the end of day
>Capcom
>not aiming for profit

>push the HD Collection to new players

What is wrong with this? Seriously. There's some dark magic ritual that prevent people from buying both these games? This GoW fan example was kinda misleading as GoW will never replace both of the actual Devil May Cry series, it's a complete different thing to replace a game with another and to push people into one of two already existing games.

I don't see this changes as needed too, in that we agree.

About every DMC being one "reboot" of themselves. It's kinda strange to hear that, suddenly the classic games are so different that they can be considered a reboot of each other when a while ago they were heading to a path to be the "same crap all over again", i don't really understand how people see the evolution of the Devil May Cry series; after all it was all the same crap over again or games very different from each other excluding 3 and 4? And, nope, a reboot is when you start things from 0. But indeed Itsuno's story retconned things and constructed the Dante that he envisioned while still respecting Kamiya's legacy and DMC1 as a game, DMC is still canon to the series but i think if the series continues they will make some few changes on what were told to us in the first game (or just explain it better).

I dislike Tameem but doesn't really hate him. And agree strongly with you regarding Vergil's Downfall, i liked its progression much more than the main game, but i've just have seem the cutscenes and some gameplay through YouTube until now, have to play it to see how Vorgil plays out.

DisappointedSparda

The Disappointed
It's still a handheld game, but PORTED to consoles with HD settings. It was not remade exclusively for the consoles and the PC. DMC4 was the most successful DMC game concerning sales, it's not "gloating".

I didn't say you were gloating, but i've seen other people use DMC 4's sales against DmC even before the release of the game for their convenience. But when someone brings up the notion of both series co-existing its instantly shot down simply because people think DMC is that expensive to make. It probably is expensive, but i think RE is much more expensive then whatever other DMC offshoot comes to suffice and that doesn't prevent RE from having offshoots of its series.

And yes i know its ported which just brings my point that even port with some enhancements doesn't stall Capcom from making other games.

Nope, i was saying that franchises that doesn't changes up everything are mostly like to stay successful.

For awhile yes, eventually people will tire of the same thing without any evolution. Would you like if all the DMC games after DMC 1 played exactly the same, no style system, no over the top cutscenes? So no, staying the same is successful, for awhile, until people find better things to interest them. Its just living on borrowed time really.

"Realized that something was wrong with DMC4 and they were right", what is that something? They were right? What's right in what they have done with the franchise? It's not right just because you liked the outcome, the game bombed in the market and displeased even the fanbase, it's not a "right" choice for a company that makes entertainment.

Well in there eyes you're wrong if you don't like there outcome, and last i heard they're the owners of the IP so they can do what they want, naysaysers be damned. You don't have to like there decision or even agree with them, but you also don't dictate what they can do with there property either. Capcom doesn't make custom made games, they make games that some people might have an interest in, and some people were interested in DmC. You might not like there taste but its honestly none of your concern whether you deem it wrong or right. I think they somewhat were right in changing things up, the only thing i disagree with Capcom about is that a reboot wasn't needed because every DMC after DMC 1 has been nothing but reboots in a way, DMC 3 and 4 were reboots incarnate. I think people who think that DMC should continue like DMC 4 are completely wrong and i think Capcom should go back to there roots with DMC 1, but i've gotten over it and i don't whine about it and force my view onto others, even though DMC 4 is something i don't want the series to continue to. I'm fine with leaving the fanbase after that, knowing that the potential i saw for the series will never be reached because of that decision alone, that's something a lot of Haters should've been doing a long time ago, they just seem to not want to and make themselves, and everyone else around them, miserable.

DMC changed little by little over the games, it's a clear progression that can be seen, it's nothing like GoW did, the only GoW that made real changes to the gameplay was GoW3 that i played just a bit so i can't talk much about it. And just because a game bombed compared to its predecessors this not means it is one misconceived masterpiece. Capcom do not needed to do another GoW, what i was saying here is not about how much a game sells overall but how much people can appreciate a game of an already stabilished franchise like DMC and in this case the sales do tells us a lot about it, as yourself said before: it is a niche game. Just look at how wonderful of a fighting game SSFIV is, and it stays faithful to its roots since the early 90s, it's not the "same crap all over again", its the same basis and mechanics foundations with changes and/or improvements.

DMC changed drastically with the release of DMC 3, it was no longer the RE inspired game we knew DMC 1 as. DMC 1 relied more on exploration then on combat, which unfortunately after DMC 3, is the only thing these current fans focus on. Play DMC 1 and DMC 3, it really is like playing two completely different games. The overall tone even feels different and Dante's character is totally different as well that its almost unbelievable that he's the man we know in DMC 1.

I think people do appreciate the old series, but times change, people change and there's only so much nostalgia you can hold onto when you start to lose interest. I just think DmC wasn't that much of a departure besides some design choices.

I don't like SF 4 even though i love 3rd Strike. 3rd Strike even has somewhat different mechanics then SF 4. Also, i much prefer sprites then whatever SF 4 was.

I never said that success equals quality, we are talking just about sellings here and not quality overall. The same example i used before: Street Fighter "remains the same" for about 25 years, it's a great game, it's sucessful on the market and have a huge and loyal fanbase. If someone gets tired of playing that game that's does not mean that all the other fans will do, and people never stop to play good games, just look at Zelda OoT or even Super Mario World, people play these things even nowadays. I have neutral feelings about this, i don't give a flying **** if GoW sells more than DMC or MGR as long as this doesn't deprive me from having my DMC experience.

Why don't you chill out, its like you're hyperventilating or something.

Again: we are talking about sales here, it's much a failure to some extent. DmC was a failure to me personaly because it was a downgrade in the gameplay and replaced the characters that i (and old DMC fans) liked for characters i don't like. DMC was indeed a good game, but the series itself was much improved since them without losing what makes me and most fans recognize DMC as a game, if DMC3 never had existed people would still like DMC playstyle, would still be a good game if it had take another path in its evolution regarding the combat system. If i wanted something too much different from DMC, i would play something else and not DMC, i don't need to stop playing DMC to play or support another games. Things need to have some changes and improvement, but what changing styles on the fly, Exceed, Devil Bringer, Pandora, Lucifer, Darkslayer for Dante and Nero was if not changes and additions to the franchise? You don't have to reboot a game to give interesting things to it.
And what is DmC gameplay if not a downgraded DMC3 and 4 gameplay? Seriously, what new possibilities and how much of them DmC introduced to the gameplay? DmC had all that you said and still bombed, how can you say that "people nowadays wants this, this and this" but a game that clearly has some of this features do not please them? People never played DMC for that experience, i mean: DMC was ever all about having a background to kill some demons, and later it evolved to doing it in a stylish way but with some improved stories, the story and "cinematic" things were always a complement to the gameplay and nothing more. That's what i'm talking about when i say the reboot is too much different from DMC that it's even hard to recognize as a DMC game.

Yeah...i'm not doing this. I'm too tired and i've had enough of justifying myself on why i think DmC is a good game but not the greatest. You're obviously still distraught about DmC for some reason, a game that couldn't even sell more then DMC 4, and think DmC is some kind of threat to DMC's existence by it just existing however insane that might be. You're too self-absorbed in your own standards without considering anyone elses. Simply put: Get over it already, the game released, just let people who like it just talk about fun stuff about the game instead of trying to play grief counselor to people like you. No one cares if you don't like it we just want to talk about trivial fun stuff about the game. Sorry i had to be blunt but i was getting tired of these surmounting posts of yours that keep reiterating the same things over and over.

I think our conversation is over.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
>for a while
>SF
>25 years
>still a success

>implying that i don't made it clear that a game needs improvement and some minor changes to remain interesting

They are the owners, but their objective is to make profit. If their decisions doesn't pleases people they will go bankrupt.

>DMC1
>more about exploration than combat
>game encourages you to explore the combat mechanics more than anything including buying new skills by killing enemies and finishing missions quickly
>nearly nothing encourages exploration rather than completing your life gauge to, again, survives long in a fight
>one of the most challenging games on the PS2
>more about exploration

This will be my sign from now on:
DMC 1 relied more on exploration then on combat [..]

>get over it

Nope.avi.

Yugo12

Thank you, Chancey was trying to claim that DMC4 did not have any positive reception when that is a lie. The community being mixed on it doesn't mean it doesn't have positive reception. Most people that I know personally and even going back and looking at old DMC4 gamefaqs posts show that most people liked it. It wasn't the best DMC but it wasn't a bad game. Also I hate it when people just out right call me a liar. Why would anyone lie about being on Gamefaqs?

GF9000000Returns

Not bad. I sure hope they make a DmC2 for the next-gen systems cuz it's kind of too late now.

And how suddenly a word from Capcom turned out to be "cold hard facts"? This whole topic was based in that piece of information. Plus, this kinda contradicts what they have said a little while ago, they've blamed "excessive outsorcing" for their bad situation in the market.

Most user reviews from 2008 disagrees with your statements, as Yugo had already mentioned:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/devil-may-cry-4/user-reviews
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/devil-may-cry-4/user-reviews?sort-by=date&num_items=100
But at that time what i've seen from people were a mixed feeling about DMC4, most people were resistant to accept Nero, as you can see even in some reviews and disliked all the mess the story from that game made in the storyline. But i've seen just a few people saiying that the game was a total garbage.

From what I'm seeing, the reviews from 2008 were positive to mixed.

And you know, maybe Street Fighter is the only franchise that can get away with having the same mechanics, I don't know why, but that's the way it is. On the other hand, DMC and other games ain't off the hook. Just look at Call of Duty now, it may sell well but it's not being received well anymore because (FINALLY) people are getting tired of the same damn mechanics. Street Fighter has a variety of new likeable characters and innovating art styles while DMC4 really didn't.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Not bad. I sure hope they make a DmC2 for the next-gen systems cuz it's kind of too late now.

From what I'm seeing, the reviews from 2008 were positive to mixed.

And you know, maybe Street Fighter is the only franchise that can get away with having the same mechanics, I don't know why, but that's the way it is. On the other hand, DMC and other games ain't off the hook. Just look at Call of Duty now, it may sell well but it's not being received well anymore because (FINALLY) people are getting tired of the same damn mechanics. Street Fighter has a variety of new likeable characters and innovating art styles while DMC4 really didn't.

Yes, positive to mixed. Not all saying that the game was garbage like Chancey said.

About CoD, i don't know much about the reception the game had from players, but CoD gets to a really impressive level of dumbness and i wouldn't disagree with it. Still... we have to admit that it's one of the most successful franchise from nowadays, but i think that with a new generation come new possibilities will come as well and people who not try to implement new cool things in their pew-pew-pew games will suffer a little trying to please their audiences.

I can think about a few more examples:

Mario
The Legend of Zelda (the overall scheme remains basically the same from A Link to the Past, but some mechanics were "translated" to the 3D world and another ones implemented)
Metal Gear Solid
Counter-Strike
Mortal Kombat (that tried to innovate and ended up being forgotten by a long time until the reboot that ironically revitalized the franchise by bringing back some core mechanics and design while implementing new features).

GF9000000Returns

Yes, positive to mixed. Not all saying that the game was garbage like Chancey said.

About CoD, i don't know much about the reception the game had from players, but CoD gets to a really impressive level of dumbness and i wouldn't disagree with it. Still... we have to admit that it's one of the most successful franchise from nowadays, but i think that with a new generation come new possibilities will come as well and people who not try to implement new cool things in their pew-pew-pew games will suffer a little trying to please their audiences.

I can think about a few more examples:

Mario
The Legend of Zelda (the overall scheme remains basically the same from A Link to the Past, but some mechanics were "translated" to the 3D world and another ones implemented)
Metal Gear Solid
Counter-Strike
Mortal Kombat (that tried to innovate and ended up being forgotten by a long time until the reboot that ironically revitalized the franchise by bringing back some core mechanics and design while implementing new features).

I understand all of that. But like I said again, the whole DMC franchise isn't really that successful compared to them. If Capcom did a DMC5 instead of DmC, it would've been at least 45% panned as a "whole". Yes It may sell well as DMC4 and would be good for you cuz of the gameplay, but what about the story, the plotholes, and te campaign? And I bet Capcom would still butcher Nero's past.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
I understand all of that. But like I said again, the whole DMC franchise isn't really that successful compared to them. If Capcom did a DMC5 instead of DmC, it would've been at least 45% panned as a "whole". Yes It may sell well as DMC4 and would be good for you cuz of the gameplay, but what about the story, the plotholes, and te campaign? And I bet Capcom would still butcher Nero's past.

I agree with you, DMC was not that sucessful but still was one of Capcom's major franchises, it was no little deal too.

I don't care exactly just about gameplay, and i've already admited here on this forum that i understand people that complains about DMC story, but the thing is: still i persist that it's the most important thing on a Devil May Cry game, the gameplay (and classic Dante) is what made Devil May Cry as a franchise be recognized as a "classic" of the PS2 generation, the intelligent enemy and level design (the structural level design, not the art put into the stages) and the challenge, all this things are dictated by gameplay mechanics. I mean, the only thing NT tried to not change too much in DmC was the gameplay itself, to keep things simple they mostly "casualized" a mix of DMC3 and DMC4 gameplay to put in their game and added some concepts and mechanics from their own games.

I would like to see Capcom putting actual effort to make the story fit and be cool, not necessarily a intriguing and great story because i don't think it is necessary for a good Devil May Cry game. But if they manage to put a really great story without hurting the gameplay, why should i complain? I just think that DMC's world and "soul" still has much potential.

Zey

I came here to laugh at you.
Damage Control: The Thread

"1 million sales aren't a failure"
That depends. Catherine (Puzzle-Sim Date, new IP, japanese...) sold like half-million sales in Japan and USA last time I checked, it was the best launch of the company and of course was considered a sucess. Now, DmC get like 1 million sales, the rebooted game for a large series that has been around since 2001, which predecessor got 2.4 million sales. Oh, and you don't need to be an expert to know which game has more budget.

"Sales prediction were unreal"
Why? We don't know how much the budget is, but clearly the game wasn't "cheap". They need not only to re-gain that money, they need to get some good profit too. That's how industry works.

"The game has been around only for 4 months"
That's the time we need to judge if it's a failure or a sucess. Almost all copies get sold on the first months, and the sales are always decaying for every launch, don't fool yourself.

"B-but the movie..."
There's a lot of movies announced related to videogames, lot of them were revealed various years ago and still no release or even little news about it. As I remember, they talked about the movie in...2011? How much info we got?

"DMC 4 wasn't well received"
That was good joke, thanks.

"The series needed a change"
I agree on this. But DmC isn't the change I want. It doesn't matter if the reboot tried to make something different, change aren't supposed to be good just because it's "new". But that's just my opinion.

"CoD and GoW sell so much"
Actually, CoD sales are decaying which every entrie and the new GoW got very poor sales for it's lauch.

"The game didn't sell too much because the economy is down and everyone is buying used games"
Game industry is really going down these last years, but that isn't a good excuse. There are still games selling millions even with the auge of indie games and other factors like that.

"Fans didn't like it because no anime"
Here we go again.

Did I forgot about something?

At this point everyone knows that DmC wasn't well received by consumers and the sales are really low compared to the other games. Which it's funny, because the game surely has more budget that every other entrie in the series. If it's good or bad doesn't mean anything, if you want a sequel or not that's up to you, but it's a FACT (yeah, FACT) that comercially is much better come with DMC 5 than DmC 2, and we are talking about one of the biggest money grabbers in the industry.

P.S.: This thread gave me FoxDie.

Yugo12

also good to toss out there; just because sales aren't amazing doesn't mean we won't see another DmC game. Just look at how awful DMC2 was, and capcom still saw fit to make another DMC game (and we're all very grateful that they decided to do that)

But DMC2 still sold a decent amount, it's 3rd highest selling DMC title. If anything you should be using DMC3 as your example since DMC3 sold pretty low. But I think all of that is pretty irrelevant now because all those things happened around 2003 and 2004. This is a different Capcom now and we all know that one of the main reasons this reboot was created was to generate more sales and more fans and it ended up being the worse selling game in the franchise. DMC5 seems more likely to happen than a DmC2, but I think this franchise might be done.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
Damage Control: The Thread
Damage control, what kind of attitude is that to have? Calling what they were talking about before as damage.

The game's selling solid, that's good enough. No need to have any damage control on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom