• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC2 possibilities?

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
my conclusion is that NT is out of the picture. and since going back to the original DMC series would be counterproductive i think capcom should find a new developer to follow the same story as DmC since NT established the ground for something pretty cool. the only obstacle is to find a devolping studio who would do justice to not only the DmC series but the DMC franchise.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Nothing is certain right now.
While Capcom did say they enjoyed working with NT, they also blamed outside studios for their low sales. So this would indicate the possibility of returning development to Japan.
However, what is the point of hiring NT for their Western take on DmC, only to return it to the Japanese style? I would not like to see a Japanese take on DmC at all. If they are not working with NT on level design, character design and story, they might as well not make DmC2 because it would not be the same at all.

Also considering sales of DmC were under what they wanted, who knows what they will do. It might be a while before Capcom make an offical statement regarding the future of DmC and DMC.

crush

But I bet DMC5 will be great with inspired work done from NT either way.
I want capcom to do their original series with organic demons and good ol Dante and Nero, readjusting the mistakes that were done in the past with more badass action.

Yeah yeah, I know you guys want this to be real.
(I too like that DMC2 haircut and his vest with the DMC3 trench.)

As for DmC...

It didn't look quite like this didn't it? Where is our payoff with hard-hit effects and cool sound? camera angles like 1:07? Or pinning a enemy against a wall? I actually thought all of these will be included in the final game...
NT sure missed some cool parts out of their game.
Also I wanted Dante with the rebellion skull on his shirt as well. That was a good design tribute.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
As far as DMC5 is concerned, I'd prefer if the development was kept in Japan and done by Capcom. However, I would also like it if Capcom could use the ideas given to them during the time they worked with NT, such as story telling, character development and level design, while also keeping the same stylish action that classic DMC is known for.

IncarnatedDemon

As far as DMC5 is concerned, I'd prefer if the development was kept in Japan and done by Capcom. However, I would also like it if Capcom could use the ideas given to them during the time they worked with NT, such as story telling, character development and level design, while also keeping the same stylish action that classic DMC is known for.
Level design: NT picked Unreal because of the dynamic enviroments. They never displayed such level design on MT framework (Capcom's engine). + the level design came at a price.

Character development: I'd say the character development wasnt as good as you make it to be. Feel free to prove me wrong though.

Storytelling: Capcom is already at the same level as NT.

Its just that Capcom has this unserious attitude towards dialogue and cutscenes. So they make Dante surf on a rocket or mock Cerbrus etc.

IncarnatedDemon

Even DMC 4 that i personally think is bad storywise makes me go all emotional. Just listen to the music and what Dante says when Nero says "Wait u forgot this" (refering to Yamato):

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Level design: NT picked Unreal because of the dynamic enviroments. They never displayed such level design on MT framework (Capcom's engine). + the level design came at a price.
What I mean is to take the actual design, the concept art for the levels that NT did, and then have Capcom translate that level of design into their MT framework. NT's levels are a lot more vibrant and actually seem like an actualised world compared to Capcom's style, and they would realy work using Capcom's MT framework.

Character development: I'd say the character development wasnt as good as you make it to be. Feel free to prove me wrong though.
Let's just say DMC4 was awful when it came to that, and DMC1+2 had hardly any character development due to the emphasis being on stylish combat. There was no need for character development then and I'm fine with that.

DMC3 however did try and add some character development, and props to Capcom for doing that, but they just don't do it in the same style as NT. It's Capcoms idea of character development, and I like it for what it is. Ideally, I'd take character development elements from DMC3 and DmC, then put them all together for some awesomeness.

Storytelling: Capcom is already at the same level as NT.
DMC3 was great, and the best one when it comes to story. I wish they had put the same amout of effort in DMC4. It was just....>_< Not my thing at all.
At least DMC3 gave hints as to why Vergil became obsessed with gaining power, why Dante behaved in an 'I don't give a damn' attitude at first and then changed. Plus there was the epic battle between Dante and Vergil in hell, which the game had been building up to from the prologue. And the way Vergil wanted to stay in hell because it was their father's home, and how Dante tried to stop him, but Vergil cuts him and falls. That was a really memorable scene.
Heck, I even liked Jester and his cheesyness, especially when he was revealed to be Arkham. The actor was pretty talented to be able to do Jester's high voice, and then Arkham's menacing low voice.
DMC4 didn't have any of that at all. It's was ill-conceived, rushed and had hardly any character development, along with a villain who belonged in a pantomime.
Its just that Capcom has this unserious attitude towards dialogue and cutscenes. So they make Dante surf on a rocket or mock Cerbrus etc.
If they want to do that with classic Dante, they can. That's what classic Dante is about; however they should not have DmC Dante acting like that because it is not in his character to behave that way.

Even DMC 4 that i personally think is bad storywise makes me go all emotional. Just listen to the music and what Dante says when Nero says "Wait u forgot this" (refering to Yamato):
We're two different people. I didn't get emotional over that. The most DMC4 did was made me laugh (in a good way). Dante's cheesyness was too funny this time round. Like the scene with Agnus where Dante is taking every chance to mock him, and then it ends up with Shakespear references and Dante being completely over the top.:p I just can't take that game seriously and become emotional.

However, if you mention DMC3, that game, even the prologue makes me feel something.

IncarnatedDemon

Loopy you pointing out DMC 2 and 4's character development doesn't make NT good at character development. It just means Capcom isnt good at it. So not good way to enlighten me of NT's character development skills by pointing out DMC's bad character development.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Loopy you pointing out DMC 2 and 4's character development doesn't make NT good at character development. It just means Capcom isnt good at it. So not good way to enlighten me of NT's character development skills by pointing out DMC's bad character development.
However, it does mean that they are better than DMC4 and 2. DMC on the other hand didn't need character development due to the focus being on stylish action and combat. All you needed to know was that you were playing as Dante, a half demon, who hunted demons due to his family being killed by demons and the demon king, Mundus. That was enough for me. I was more interested in killing demons.

I never said Capcom wasn't good at it. If you read my post, I was saying how I liked DMC3's characters and how they developed in the games, and how hints were given as to how the characters became like that. Considering it was Capcom's first attempt at creating an indepth DMC story with more believable characters, they did a good job. I liked what they did.

In a way, DmC is like a slightly more developed DMC3 to me. Both Dante's started off with not caring, and being jerks, but then as they interact with Kat and Lady, they begin to change and realise there is something bigger out there and something to fight for.

The essence of Vergil stays the same too. On the surface, both Vergils seem to be calm and composed, but underneath, they are troubled souls who are affected by the death of their parents and the need for power resulting from this.

Then you have Kat and Lady, the two women who make the Dantes start to care and develop their characters; two women who are human, going up against demons (Lady more than Kat), because of their backgrounds. Kat because of her abusive demon foster father and Lady because of her mother's death and the belief that Vergil is leading her father on the path of evil.

Both games also have the epic battle at the end betwee the two twins.
Out of the two, DMC3 had the better start to the battle. Vergil wanting so badly to have the amulet and prove himself as worthy of Sparda's legacy, with Dante knowing that even though they are brothers, even though he doesn't want to fight, they will have to.

Then there's the ending to the fights. In DmC, Dante is taken over by his demon side and nearly kills Vergil until Kat stops him. The sad thing is, Vergil says that he loved Dante, and seems deeply hurt by what he sees as betrayl by the only family he has.
In DMC3, Vergil wants to stay in hell because it was their father's home. He wants to prove himself and embrace the demon side of his heritage due to considering his human side weak. However, his parting gesture to Dante shows that he still cares about his brother. He tells Dante to get out before he is trapped in hell, and when Dante tries to stop him, Vergil cuts him and falls into hell so that there is no chance of Dante following and putting himself in danger.
Both fights offer something different, but they also have elements in common, such as the sense of rivalry, brotherly love, betrayl and loss.

So while DMC2 and 4 were pretty bad, DMC3 made up for it and set the foundations for DmC's story and character development.

IncarnatedDemon

IF your going to discuss with me that NT is good at character development please avoid talking about DMC ok?
Because i cba with that.

Either NT is good or they are bad. You cant point at DMC and say "Hey look at that its bad, means NT is good!".

Its like a pile of doodoo pointing at a toilet and say "Hey i am better than him!".

And no i dont think DmC's character development was that good. I never got to see why Dante didnt trust others. Neither did i see Kat's nightmares.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
IF your going to discuss with me that NT is good at character development please avoid talking about DMC ok?You mean avoid talking about DMC1? There was no need for plot in DMC. You only needed to know the bare minimum about Dante and the world because the game was about gameplay, and I'm fine with that, and that is why I do not use it when I compare it to DmC.
Because i cba with that.
I've already said what I think about DMC1, how there was no need for a plot anyway, so there is nothing to discuss about it for me anyway.
Either NT is good or they are bad. You cant point at DMC and say "Hey look at that its bad, means NT is good!".
It's not so simple as 'good or bad'. Don't be so infantile. There can be a middle ground of good and bad, areas that could be improved and areas that should stay the same.

I did not say that the whole of the DMC games were bad. Look at what I wrote about DMC3 and DMC. The only bad ones were DMC2 and DMC4. DMC3 was great.
Its like a pile of doodoo pointing at a toilet and say "Hey i am better than him!".
So now you're saying DMC is ****? :/
DMC1 put more emphasis on combat, so there was no need for a big plot. Go back and read what I typed instead of making sweeping statements.
And no i dont think DmC's character development was that good. I never got to see why Dante didnt trust others. Neither did i see Kat's nightmares.
You didn't read anything I wrote did you?:/ And you just don't know how to understand a story either, do you. It's not hard to understand why characters behave the way they do if you listen to what they say and put pieces together.

So, if you are of the opinion that DmC was bad at story and character development, then that's fine, just learn to debate it properly instead of doing something like this. It doesn't add anything to the discussion.

IncarnatedDemon

Just dont talk about how DMC 2 and 4 was bad and becuuse it was bad that is something to use as argument for NT being good at character development.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Just dont talk about how DMC 2 and 4 was bad and becuuse it was bad that is something to use as argument for NT being good at character development.
Are you chastising me?:troll: I can talk about what I want with or without your permission.

I didn't use DMC2 and 4 in that way...at least you can admit they were bad. So that's something to agree on.

There is no point including those games in a debate because for DMC2 there was no character development, or much of a story, and DMC4 was terrible for me. That's why I focused on DMC3 and comparing it to DmC; and if you read what I said, I like some aspects of DMC3 story telling more than DmC. There are things both games do well, and others that they can improve on.

Dusk Stalker

" Everybody gets a bullet!" -Axton
Are you chastising me?:troll: I can talk about what I want with or without your permission.

I didn't use DMC2 and 4 in that way...at least you can admit they were bad. So that's something to agree on.

There is no point including those games in a debate because for DMC2 there was no character development, or much of a story, and DMC4 was terrible for me. That's why I focused on DMC3 and comparing it to DmC; and if you read what I said, I like some aspects of DMC3 story telling more than DmC. There are things both games do well, and others that they can improve on.

But it comes down to who represents and has a duty and a reason to protect Humanity. One is half human, one doesn't have a trace of Humanity in him.

DmC one was rushed in my opinion on storytelling.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
But it comes down to who represents and has a duty and a reason to protect Humanity. One is half human, one doesn't have a trace of Humanity in him.
You're right; which makes it interesting that he does decide to protect humans instead of ruling them like Vergil wants to. It shows more strength of character in Dante that he refuses to rule humans when he could very easily do that with Vergil.
If it wasn't for Kat knocking on his door and waking him up literally and figuratively to the plight of humans, DmC Dante would have carried on as he was until a demon finally killed him.
However, because of Kat and what they go through together, Dante gains a respect for humanity and wants to protect them from beings like Mundus and his brother.

DMC3 Dante also could have carried on living as he did, but when demons came to his shop and messed it up, he had to go and find out what was going on.
He learns to respect human strength more because of Lady holding her own against a huge group of demons, and learns to care more about the world because of the events of the game.
The Dante at the end of the game is a lot more concerned with the danger demons pose to the world and wants to protect it after seeing what humans like Arkham could do with demon power.
DmC one was rushed in my opinion on storytelling.
There are moments in the game where I do think 'what was that included for?!' like the sex scene with Mundus and Lilith. I think we all know where a baby comes from:troll: I get that it also sets up the idea that Mundus has a sixth sense that tells him when demons close to him have died, which also sets up how he knows his child is dead without even seeing it...but still I would have preferred that character point without the creepy sex.>_<

It's like when Vergil took the shot. I understand it was Vergil's big turning point, the point where you do wonder what is really going on inside his head. You get hints before, like his refusal to help Kat escape SWAT and his refusal to rescue her again because Dante is more important for his plans than Kat. It just wish the exchange had gone differently in some way, and that there was more time for brotherly bonding between Dante ad Vergil so that when they come to the final clash, there would be more emotional impact to it. I still like the part when Vergil says how he loved Dante and then leaves. He's just so hurt and betrayed by the only family he has left, the only one like him in the world and the only one he thought was worthy enough to rule with him.
I just wish there was more of a setup to that moment.

So, it's not without its flaws. There is room to improve. Nothing is perfect, and settling for anything as perfect is just not expanding the horizons of creativity.

EllDawn

These things were explained in game. They did use images to show why Dante had trust issues, but it wasn't something they focused on, probably trying to keep from slowing the story. As for Kat's nightmares, all you have to do is listen. When she was talking about her foster father attacking her, that's when Dante realized that's what the nightmares were about. You didn't get to see it because this was Dante's story in the game, not hers. So you only got an explanation.

DmC's character development was better, in my opinion. I've seen games that did even better than that, but at least NT made improvements to a series that focused more on action than characters and story. I'm sure they would have done more if it truly was all left up to them.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
The next game has gotta go through 5 years since the demons started to emerge.

Dante rebuilds his old home with Kat's help, coming up with good ideas for the new home base. Plus trying to find a good name.

Kat's father has GOT to be Arkham. Arkham serves under Nelo Angelo who is Vergil wearing a new mask to hide his face.

Trish can return as something new. But we know she's adapted from Beatrice from Dante's Inferno.

Angels show themselves. At first they see Dante as a threat and so as Vergil, but later he proves himself to them that he can protect humans like Eva and the others do. Phineas returns and also gets help from an angel who was an old friend of Eva's.

In DmC3, I wanna see Nero show up as a cambion. Remember Blade II, Nero can be some child experiment used by rogue humans secretly trying to create their own nephilim based on Dante's & Vergil's blood.
In DmC4, Sparda's story is revealed
DmC5, Dante & Sparda are reunited and fight together.

Dusk Stalker

" Everybody gets a bullet!" -Axton
There are moments in the game where I do think 'what was that included for?!' like the sex scene with Mundus and Lilith. I think we all know where a baby comes from:troll: I get that it also sets up the idea that Mundus has a sixth sense that tells him when demons close to him have died, which also sets up how he knows his child is dead without even seeing it...but still I would have preferred that character point without the creepy sex.>_<

It's like when Vergil took the shot. I understand it was Vergil's big turning point, the point where you do wonder what is really going on inside his head. You get hints before, like his refusal to help Kat escape SWAT and his refusal to rescue her again because Dante is more important for his plans than Kat. It just wish the exchange had gone differently in some way, and that there was more time for brotherly bonding between Dante ad Vergil so that when they come to the final clash, there would be more emotional impact to it. I still like the part when Vergil says how he loved Dante and then leaves. He's just so hurt and betrayed by the only family he has left, the only one like him in the world and the only one he thought was worthy enough to rule with him.
I just wish there was more of a setup to that moment.

So, it's not without its flaws. There is room to improve. Nothing is perfect, and settling for anything as perfect is just not expanding the horizons of creativity.

But it comes down to this also...who bears it more? DMC 3 Dante has more leverage because if he gave into his Demonic side and forget his humanity, he would betray the only sliver of humanity he has and the humans that he is sworn to protect.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
But it comes down to this also...who bears it more? DMC 3 Dante has more leverage because if he gave into his Demonic side and forget his humanity, he would betray the only sliver of humanity he has and the humans that he is sworn to protect.
I'd say both.
You're right, if DMC Dante let his demonic side take over, then it would be like betraying his mother and the sacrifice that she made for him, as well as the rest of humanity.

And with DmC Dante, because he's not human at all, he'd have to constantly fight himself to keep his demon side suppressed.
He already let it out once when he attacked Vergil and was pretty horrified about what he had done and what he could become if he did not control himself.
In the same way that DMC Dante giving in to his demon side would mean betraying Eva, DmC Dante giving in would mean betraying Kat and losing everything he had learned with her about caring for others and wanting to fight. It would also mean betraying Eva too. In Downfall she tells Vergil that they were given their powers to protect others and use for good. This not only applies to Vergil, but Dante too.
So for DmC Dante, it would be a triple betrayl of Kat, Eva and humanity.

Top Bottom