• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC5 will have Dynamic BGMs

DarkSlayerVergil

As I said, and exactly what you said. Going from a simply guitar riff to a percussion beat, a bassline, and then vocals, it's pretty obvious, especially if you then add in a rhythm guitar.

As for why you didn't notice it? Pardon the assumption, but, like...you didn't care...? Why would you pay attention to every element of something you were already somewhat unreceptive to? Like...it was there, I don't know what to say if you didn't notice the very present element.

Plus, as you mention below, the music in DmC waits of specific points in order to appear in tempo.

I'd much rather the vocals come in on the beat, rather than fade in. DmC's problem with this feature was that the music didn't return to a lesser intensity if you lost your grade from damage or inactivity. It'd probably add more impact to DMC5's combat if the music's intensity was more directly tied to your actions and keeping your rank up, rather than it being rewarded as a static prize once you reached a specific grade, regardless of keeping it or not.

Because it didn't happen in MGR. MGR literally only had boss music that intensified as the fight went to a new phase, and there's no style system nor ranking for the combat to keep track of mid-fight to implement something like that.

Like, it actually bugs me that people are attributing it to MGR and not DmC, not only because DmC did it first, but also that MGR literally does not even do it. How can people profess to love a game so much and be so ignorant of how an element of the game works...?
Your guess is as good as mine. Casual fans maybe?The music mechanic change in DmC was one of the things I remember during the games development.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Honestly amount of wub wub wubing was so intense in DmC it was barely noticebly if it was wub more or wub less. Let's hops DMC5 add better distinguished music so it would actually be noticable this time.
Considering its trailer I have doubts

Also this better not be Nero's theme

berto

I Saw the Devil
As I said, and exactly what you said. Going from a simply guitar riff to a percussion beat, a bassline, and then vocals, it's pretty obvious, especially if you then add in a rhythm guitar.
That seems a bit too, well, for lack of a better term, mathematical. I get idea but if there's going to be more than one combat piece per character it won't do for all of them to have the same pattern of instrumental additions, especially if the instrument that plays the main melody isn't the same for all of them. Basically, yeah, but they should switch it around depending on the piece or song.

As for why you didn't notice it? Pardon the assumption, but, like...you didn't care...? Why would you pay attention to every element of something you were already somewhat unreceptive to? Like...it was there, I don't know what to say if you didn't notice the very present element.
Even if that were so, I've played the game on numerous occasions. Platinumed it twice on the Playstation and 100% once on the 360. That means playing through every difficulty at least once, gone out of my way to get S ranks on every mission and so forth. Even with a lack of interest it shouldn't be something one misses. For me not to notice after playing it so many times it tells me the effect is far too subtle. That shouldn't be the case. It should be obvious and, dare I say, blaten.

But let's say that is, in fact, what happened, that my lack of interest numed me, if you will, to it. Then why am I not the only one? It seems most people didn't notice until it was pointed out in that video, and it's not just the members here. Since the article I've seen the topic pop a few times and when there is mention of DmC having it most players are either surprised or simply go 'I did not know that.'

Plus, as you mention below, the music in DmC waits of specific points in order to appear in tempo.
Yeah. Now that I know this I have to play the game again to hear it again. I know that not all the music in the game is dynamic. The first song in stage 1, the Combichrist one, most definitely doesn't change based on the style meter so I'm guessing that's true for others. I'm 90% sure the music in the club doesn't but I gotta hear it for myself now.

I'd much rather the vocals come in on the beat, rather than fade in. DmC's problem with this feature was that the music didn't return to a lesser intensity if you lost your grade from damage or inactivity. It'd probably add more impact to DMC5's combat if the music's intensity was more directly tied to your actions and keeping your rank up, rather than it being rewarded as a static prize once you reached a specific grade, regardless of keeping it or not.
And I get that. It's musically more pleasing to to have the music come in at a spot where it would come in were it an actual song, but not I. I'd rather the music changes be immediate. We won't know how they're actually doing it till they release gameplay footage but that's where I'm at on this.

Because it didn't happen in MGR. MGR literally only had boss music that intensified as the fight went to a new phase, and there's no style system nor ranking for the combat to keep track of mid-fight to implement something like that. Like, it actually bugs me that people are attributing it to MGR and not DmC, not only because DmC did it first, but also that MGR literally does not even do it.
I'm sorry to keep rubbing the point in but it's because it's noticeable. It's a distinctive change in music. It's loud, its appearance is marked with significance, and not only is it on tempo but it's immediate, which I thought was quite impressive, actually. If you look at the video above the vocals kick in 5 seconds after the 'SAVAGE!" That is a long time in a game, specially during combat, and it's caused a disconnection between the cause and effect. So much so that it has to be pointed out to be noticed.

How can people profess to love a game so much and be so ignorant of how an element of the game works...?
It's not really that strange to love something and not know everything there is to know about it. Sometimes people love something that's there at face value, the shallowest form of the experience. Doesn't mean they don't love it.

I think that's actually been confirmed. Sorry, mate. On the bright side DmC had several combat pieces, this might, too. Actually, I'm bloody hoping so. One of the things I hated about DMC4 was listening to those intros over and over again.

I dunno, I liked Devil Trigger. It gets pretty pumped, but yeah on some channel it actually dubbed as Nero's theme.
I don't like how it plays out in the trailer.That 'Pull my Devil Trigger' line is really cringy to me, but listening to the song from the beginning is much better. I also kinda dig the cover.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Considering its trailer I have doubts

Well, from the official Capcom channel on YouTube that shared the song originally, they refer to it as Nero's battle theme. So...it's possible this is the new theme, unless the official account that posted it was somehow wrong.

But I'll tell you what - I'll take just about anything over The Time Has Come at this point. DmC was a godsend for having a comparatively massive number of battle themes. It feels like a good choice to have themes based on location, rather than the character, sorta just makes things feel more interesting.

And I get that. It's musically more pleasing to to have the music come in at a spot where it would come in were it an actual song, but not I. I'd rather the music changes be immediate. We won't know how they're actually doing it till they release gameplay footage but that's where I'm at on this.

It also ends up being a problem if it's a short encounter. I cannot stand the opening riff of DMC4's battle theme anymore. DURN DURRRRN! DURRRRRRRRRN DURRRRRRRRN~! Please...for the love of God...

I'm sorry to keep rubbing the point in but it's because it's noticeable.

Right no, I get it. It's just that it's a very stark difference between how the music actually intensifies. People seemed to have heard "your Style grade intensifies the music" and were like "Aw yeah dog, just like MGR" despite that just not being the musical mechanic MGR possessed.

Either way though, music getting hype as the fight gets hype is always good.

That 'Pull my Devil Trigger' line is really cringy to me

Welcome to buttrock friend :D You must be new here. I can't remember the last time DMC had lyrics that weren't abysmally cringeworthy. Well...Never Surrender was kinda nice...

Goldsickle

Dynamic music might actually fit Metal Gear Rising easier because the battles in those games are scripted, complete with a compulsory "finisher" sequence where you finish off the boss with Blade Mode.
Try watching some of the boss battles, such as against Mistral, Monsoon or Khamsin.
The portion that plays during the finisher is just right and the music fluently wraps up as the score tally appears on-screen.

Another example of dynamic music is when Blade Wolf fights Khamsin.
Notice how the music slows down when Wolf is in stealth mode and a specific beat is played when you successfully score a stealth attack on Khamsin, before the music resumes normally.

The thing about Devil May Cry boss battles is that they're not scripted most of the time.
You don't break off one tentacle at a time with button mashing sequences in between or anything like that.
The only exception would be boss battles in DmC.

heatlancer

1# Trickster
Never knew that about DmC either, didn't really matter anyway since the music sucked and it was stupidly easy to get S ranks.

I feel like MGR's way was better as it happened during the boss fights and the music chorus felt way more rewarding because it showed up at certain stages during the fights.

I hope DMC5's way of doing it doesn't get old after getting a few S ranks, though I wager each character will have their own tracks.
The music kicking it up as you advanced in the minstral fight will probably live with me for ever. Super cool.

ShiningTempest

Since DMC5 will have multi stage boss battles like DMC1, they might do something with that.

The music kicking it up as you advanced in the minstral fight will probably live with me for ever. Super cool.
Minstral never felt that menacing to have that effect for me.
The vocals cutting off with Sam losing his katana was awesome.

Top Bottom