• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Expand the Devil Trigger abilities.......

REAPER 3142

Revenge Solves Everything..............
Don't get me wrong. Devil Trigger is an important part of DmC. But after playing Vergil's downfall, his DT seemed slightly more intuitive than Dante's which got me thinking.............................................................
how could those powers be expanded on or added to?
Here are my thoughts. Maybe while holding the DT button (L1 for me.) add in another button to add new powers.
-Devil Trigger: Tap L1. Allows health regen and speed boost. DT Gauge drains while in use.

-Eruption shot: Hold L1 and press Square.
(Dante channels some DT energy into Ebony and Ivory and shoots at the ground, causing a small blast under surrounding foes. This will cause moderate damage to all enemies and even shoot smaller ones into the air.) This would consume 1/4 of the DT Gauge.

-Rebellion Boost: Hold L1 and press Triangle.
(Dante channels DT energy into Rebellion, sharpening it beyond a razors edge. This adds a damage boost to Rebellion for all attacks.). This would consume 1/2 of the DT Gauge.

-Soul Split: Hold L1 and press Circle:
(Dante's Angel and Devil side split into two making three Dante's on screen at once. One blue and one red. Similar to Vergil's DT, but these copies of Dante will attack all enemies on screen on thier own, allowing Dante to focus on a specific target.) This will instantly consume all of the DT gauge.

Thoughts/ opinions?

BLACKSWIPE

"Waiting for one's arrival."
I'd like to see two forms of a DT:

Full-Devil: Dante gains a full-devil form after being defeated by Vergil, and is fully demon for that amount of time. All of his weapons are 'corrupted', including the angelic-arms that he has. Such as Rebellion becoming a part of his arm and covered in glowing veins. Dante's voice gets twice as deep and has a slight echo with it. Unlike his Pre-DT (What I call the DT in DmC), this Devil-Trigger is more under control and full concentrated within his body. This DT does not send enemies flying up into the air. I had a theory that because his DT was not yet finely tuned nor perfected, his power ran around outside of his body which actually keeps him from going full Devil. This is why all of the enemies on screen go flying up into the air and are unable to move.

REAPER 3142

I'd like to see two forms of a DT:

Full-Devil: Dante gains a full-devil form after being defeated by Vergil, and is fully demon for that amount of time. All of his weapons are 'corrupted', including the angelic-arms that he has. Such as Rebellion becoming a part of his arm and covered in glowing veins. Dante's voice gets twice as deep and has a slight echo with it. Unlike his Pre-DT (What I call the DT in DmC), this Devil-Trigger is more under control and full concentrated within his body. This DT does not send enemies flying up into the air. I had a theory that because his DT was not yet finely tuned nor perfected, his power ran around outside of his body which actually keeps him from going full Devil. This is why all of the enemies on screen go flying up into the air and are unable to move.

I Like everything you have except for Rebellion being part of Dante's arm. Maybe I'm just picturing it weird, but all i can see is Alex Mercer and his arm blade. Don't get me wrong, its very cool. But I can't see it on Dante.

crush

How about a more simple but accessible yet innovative system?
Like using several DT orbs you can use ground attacks in the air or something.

Fran0823

DmC and DMC why can't we have both?
add some "DT only" moves, increase duration, give Dante small Wings/horns and we're good to go for DmC2

...and we really need an Angel Trigger for DmC2 and OP Nephilim Trigger for DmC3

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
I want his devil trigger full fledged in DmC2!

DmC2:
- Full fledged demon
- angel trigger. Glowing blue.
- Nephilim trigger (in the final boss battle)

DmC3:
- Nephilim trigger

REAPER 3142

I like the idea of three seperate triggers.

-Angel Trigger: Gains a yellow Aura that covers the body in black tattoos/runes. Allows greater health regen and increase in speed as well as granting temporary wings for higher jumps and more fluid aerial combat.

-Devil Trigger: Covers the character in black flames. All attacks gain a damage boost and any damage dealt to you is cut in half.

-Nephilim Trigger: Same look as DmC. Spiked hair and red veins across the face.Combination of AT and DT but less powerful. Slower health regen than AT, and smaller damage boost than DT. But you get the best of both worlds.

-Majin: Gains all the powers of the other triggers combined and turns off gravity for smaller characters.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!

-Angel Trigger: Gains a yellow Aura that covers the body in black tattoos/runes. Allows greater health regen and increase in speed as well as granting temporary wings for higher jumps and more fluid aerial combat.

-Devil Trigger: Covers the character in black flames. All attacks gain a damage boost and any damage dealt to you is cut in half.

-Nephilim Trigger: Same look as DmC. Spiked hair and red veins across the face.Combination of AT and DT but less powerful. Slower health regen than AT, and smaller damage boost than DT. But you get the best of both worlds.

-Majin: Gains all the powers of the other triggers combined and turns off gravity for smaller characters.

I still for the Nephilim trigger to make Dante look full-fledged in a demonic-angelic look.

I actually love the way Devil Trigger looks on Dante in this game. The hair turning white and the only colors standing out being red is just a nice touch, as if Dante is zoning in on the carnage around him. I hope they don't take away the its ability to raise people into the air, its actually really fun to use if you're creative.

For example, plant an enemy with 6x kabloeey, then do an aquilas roundtirp to bring all enemies in, and then when they're close activate DT in the air, and detonate, deactivate DT. Also, Devil Trigger cancels you out of any attack you're in the middle of and also can recover you from a fall in mid air, pretty much like Nero's in DMC4.

Also, side note, I remember people saying how its that there's all this cussing in DmC. Well, Nero one of his random phrases when you use either of his Devil Trigger specials is "F You". Yes, the controversial "F You" is from DMC4.

I think that speed idea is perfect, and it sort of exists in DmC already, but could be expanded upon further. There seems to be some sort of speed boost when you just use angel dodge between combos, enemies tend to stay afloat a bit longer, or lose track of where the player is. Also, if you combine with Demon Dodge, you cancel out the slo-mo duration and get extra seconds to unleash pain on enemies. But I like the notion of an Angel Trigger, it would be perfect in a sequel.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
there's another thread that reminded me, but bayonetta handled the "devil trigger" pretty well. There's a wide variety of things you can spend your magic on (the most common and immediately available is the torture attack finishers) including doppelgangers, a mana shield, witch time at will, quick and powerful attacks, teleporting gap closers, summoned swords style ranged attacks, reactive armor, and so on.

The gauge builds very quickly, but taking a hit knocks chunks of resource off, so that, rather than hoarding it forever in case of an emergency, players are encouraged to spend it constantly throughout combat and prevent that emergency situation from ever happening.

DmC's devil trigger is powerful. It's so powerful, in most cases using it is like lighting birthday candles with a cruise missile, with an analogously similar resource cost. I never find myself using it to finish up a pack of creeps, extend a combo, or anything else. I either use all of my DT in one shot to murder everything, or I don't use it and sit on it for minutes at a time.

TL;DR
cheaper utility options and small combo boosts.

EvilX-81

I actually love the way Devil Trigger looks on Dante in this game. The hair turning white and the only colors standing out being red is just a nice touch, as if Dante is zoning in on the carnage around him. I hope they don't take away the its ability to raise people into the air, its actually really fun to use if you're creative.

I agree somewhat, but I agree with Kam perhaps a little more.

DmC's DT is meant to be obscenely powerful, like you were going god tier on your enemies who are at least initially left stranded in the air and your power meanwhile is off the chain. I also like that you're limited due to the large chunk of DT spent on the activation and how slow it builds up, so it's not something you kick out anytime you feel like it, making it feel like an especially good trump card.

But flip the card, and it can come off feeling like an "I win" button, which I can see people disliking or ignoring it, particularly for the reasons Kam brings up; it's kinda hard to style with it.

My suggestion (which is basically the same as Kam's) would be to bring back the DT customization from DMC2 and expand upon it with multiple devil triggers, so there's the option to put together the classic DmC devil trigger, or the option to replace those aspects with other innate abilities. Combined that with the other ideas in this thread for different triggers, and the amount of possibilities options could be insane.

Customizing 3 different DT's, the combos and gameplay that could be produced from it...

Someone get Capcom and NT on the phone.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Going into DmC's DT is like going kaioken.

I think Dante going into the next level will be like super saiyan. He'll unlock the devil trigger's full powers and he'll have a chance to trigger the angel within him.

I'm thinking:
- Angel Trigger: Style of Cooler's revenge where Goku unleashes the super saiyan within and heals a bird. In this triggered state, he can activate it whenever he uses an angelic weapon.
- Devil Trigger full power: After Frieza kills Krillin, Goku gets angry and transforms. In this triggered state, he can activate it whenever he uses a demonic weapon.

- Nephilim Trigger... can be triggered when a battle with the final boss commences.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
I agree somewhat, but I agree with Kam perhaps a little more.

DmC's DT is meant to be obscenely powerful, like you were going god tier on your enemies who are at least initially left stranded in the air and your power meanwhile is off the chain. I also like that you're limited due to the large chunk of DT spent on the activation and how slow it builds up, so it's not something you kick out anytime you feel like it, making it feel like an especially good trump card.

But flip the card, and it can come off feeling like an "I win" button, which I can see people disliking or ignoring it, particularly for the reasons Kam brings up; it's kinda hard to style with it.

My suggestion (which is basically the same as Kam's) would be to bring back the DT customization from DMC2 and expand upon it with multiple devil triggers, so there's the option to put together the classic DmC devil trigger, or the option to replace those aspects with other innate abilities. Combined that with the other ideas in this thread for different triggers, and the amount of possibilities options could be insane.

Customizing 3 different DT's, the combos and gameplay that could be produced from it...

Someone get Capcom and NT on the phone.
fun fact, (though I can't find a source I can link to back it up right now, sorry) if you datamine DMC4, you can see stubs for a lot of things that were apparently going to be included in the game, but were cut out. In addition to a few levels set in the demon world, there's also different kind of devil triggers. In the game you get to purchase a single upgrade called "trigger heart" which just extends your trigger duration, but people were also able to datamine "thunder heart", "fire heart" and a few others I don't remember off the top of my head. Custom DT options were apparently on the menu for DMC4, but got cut for time.

Top Bottom