• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

French review about the comic book : Vergil's Chronicles

Blacko

It's all good : 4 stars

----

http://www.avoir-alire.com/devil-may-cry-les-chroniques-de-vergil-la-critique

Try to translate the story : Les Chroniques de Vergil happened some months before the video game : Vergil hires Kat, a medium, to find his brother Dantge who is a prisonner in Hellfire (prison).

Les Chroniques de Vergil se déroulent quelques mois avant le jeu vidéo : Vergil recrute la médium Kat pour retrouver son frère Dante, le célèbre chasseur de démons, détenu dans la terrible prison Hellfire. Histoire complète en un tome, ce préquel apporte de nombreuses informations sur des personnages emblématiques du jeu. Pour réussir ce spin-off de l’univers Devil May Cry au format BD, Glénat a fait appel à une équipe de choc, alliant le respect de l’univers vidéoludique et du meilleur de la BD moderne.

Notre avis : Les mondes du jeu vidéo, du cinéma et de la bande dessinée ont souvent vu entre eux des passerelles et des produits en commun. [...] Devil May Cry saute le pas et entre par la grande porte avec un niveau graphisme très impressionnant ! Patrick Pion n’est pas passé par la case jeu video pour rien, et il nous le prouve parfaitement !
On retrouve les personnages du jeu video, Dante, Vergil, Sprada leur père, et l’infâme Mundus. Il s’agit pour Kat, jeune fille sans histoire, qui souffre depuis toute petite de cauchemars à répétition, de servir de guide dans le Limbo, univers des monstres, à Vergil, plus connu sous le pseudonyme de Masked Man dans le monde des hommes. Elle devra l’aider à se déplacer dans le Limbo au travers des rifts qu’elle détecte naturellement, pour retrouver dans HellFire, la prison, Dante, le frère de Vergil. Une course entre deux mondes se déroule alors contre les Onyx, monstres de ferraille, l’âme même de HellFire.
Des références un peu partout, d’abord au jeu video, mais les non joueurs peuvent penser à V pour Vendetta pour le Masked Man, à Star Wars pour Dante et Vergil, ou encore à Dune pour le Phlégéthon.

A noter que la BD sort le 16 janvier 2013, le lendemain de la sortie sur console de DmC : Devil May Cry sur PlayStation 3 et XBox 360, cinquième opus de la saga.

Les fans seront donc ravis, les amateurs de jeu vidéo comblés, les profanes tentés !

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
Google translate.

The first adaptation of the popular video game comics
Summary: The video game Devil May Cry (episode 5) is the reboot of the famous saga that will be released in January 2013. Sold over 12 million copies worldwide, Devil May Cry is a bestseller, transcending the boundaries of gaming with multiple adaptations cartoons and manga.
Vergil Chronicles takes place a few months before the game: Vergil recruits medium Kat to find her brother Dante, the famous hunter of demons, the terrible prison inmate in Hellfire. Complete story in a single volume, this prequel provides information on many of the iconic characters of the game to succeed in this spin-off of the Devil May Cry universe in BD, Glénat called a SWAT team, combining respect the gaming world and the best of modern comics.
Our opinion: The worlds of gaming, film and comic books have often seen them gateways and products together. We remember Mario ends at movies, busty Lara Croft on the screen or wrinkles Sid in Final Fantasy, not to mention adaptations of superhero comics on the big screen. We also had comics around films, beginning with the series to no end of Star Wars, or more recently Largo Winch and Blueberry.Rare were the passages of the video game comics: Dofus or Assassin's Creed. Devil May Cry took the leap and enter through the front door with a very impressive level graphics! Patrick Pion has not gone through the box video game for anything, and he proves it perfectly!
There are video game characters, Dante, Vergil, Sprada their father, and the infamous Mundus. This is for Kat, a girl without history, who suffers from nightmares tiny repeatedly, as a guide in the Limbo world of monsters, Vergil, better known under the pseudonym Masked Man in the world of men . It will help to move in Limbo through the rifts that detects naturally HellFire to find in the prison, Dante's brother, Vergil.A race between two worlds then runs against the Onyx monsters scrap the soul of HellFire.
References everywhere, first video game, but the players can not think of V for Vendetta for the Masked Man, Star Wars Dante and Vergil, or Dune for Phlegethon.
Note that the BD out January 16, 2013, the day after the console output DmC: Devil May Cry on Playstation 3 and Xbox 360, the fifth installment of the saga.
The fans will be delighted, video game lovers met, lay tempted!

Nekodark

Humm my mind fuzzed a bit but I think it says takes place a few months before the game..if I am right...wow need to wake up but even if I do wake up I will still be sleepy and unsure. xD

Edit: Never mind tried to Google Translate and still confused but a better translation is above me and I am hitting the pillow again thanks for the translation my brain loves you as well as eyes, but hehe why is that Google Translation a bit different then what I seen when I tried or am I that sleepy

Blacko

Try to translate the story : Les Chroniques de Vergil happened some months before the video game : Vergil hires Kat, a medium, to find his brother Dante who is a prisonner in Hellfire (prison).

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Yeah, the backstory details we've gotten out from NT did confirm that; Dante's been through every corrections wringer in Limbo by the time we get to him in DmC...

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
This thing for comic prequel series finally came out as it seems reviews of it are on net, or only media gotten these earlier ??. BTW, i would not translate this review as Im not fluent in French, as mastery level of this language by me was on beginner :(.

Sunaka Marién

Does it say that Kat finds Dante in that Hellfire prison-thingy or did I understand something wrong here? Because, like, if it was like that, it wouldn't really make any sense, since they first meet at the beginning of DmC, don't they?
Gosh, I just really hope that we'll see an English release of this comic (and I'm praying for a German one aswell), because I wouldn't really want to read that thing in French... I mean I know a little French, but I've never been really good at it :/
...Hm. I'm not really a fan of comic adaptions of video games that are part of the canon, I guess...

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
So Vergil has only known Kat a few months before the start of DmC, then that would explain why he is so quick to drop her when she's in trouble.
As for if Kat met Dante in the prison, maybe they never actually saw each other and getting him out is done in secret so Dante never knows who did it.
Looks like we're going to get a fair bit of backstory here, not just on Kat, Vergil and Dante, but also more info on Sparda and Mundus. I can't wait for this. :D

I think it might be getting influence from the DMC anime. There, Dante gets himself put in a demon owned prison to rescue a man, and the warden set monsters on the inmates to kill them. It sounds like this comic plot.

I'm rambling, but this comic, if it is cannon, also makes me have more questions. If Dante is in prison and Mundus knows about him, again, why did Mundus not kille Dante in prison? Or does he want to make him suffer before death?

Blacko

It is not said that Kat meets Dante, probably not. Just that Vergil needs Kat to find Dante probably.

9782723494069_1.jpg

9782723494069_2.jpg

9782723494069_3.jpg

9782723494069_4.jpg

sanstitre1sl.jpg

Sunaka Marién

Meh, I really don't like that artists style :/
And if it takes place a few month before DmC, why does it cover the fight against Poison?

It is not said that Kat meets Dante, probably not. Just that Vergil needs Kat to find Dante probably.
Hmm, it kinda sounded that way to me, but 'k, never been really good at French, so I just misuderstood it then :)

I'm rambling, but this comic, if it is cannon, also makes me have more questions. If Dante is in prison and Mundus knows about him, again, why did Mundus not kille Dante in prison? Or does he want to make him suffer before death?
Good point. But I guess it'll be explained in the Comic. At least I hope so (._.)

Blacko

Perhaps they didn't know about who Dante really is. I remember seeing something about DmC saying that they know about Vergil being the son of Sparda and Eva but doesn't know about Dante..

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I remember seeing something about DmC saying that they know about Vergil being the son of Sparda and Eva but doesn't know about Dante..
That might have changed since then. Vergil says in the game that Mundus does not know that he exists.

Also, good news, Amazon UK does have the comic up on listitings, so I'll be getting it there because I am too impatient for the English release (if they make on ever).

And if it takes place a few month before DmC, why does it cover the fight against Poison?
It could be the prologue to say 'this is where he is now, but this is how he got here'. Or the epilogue to show where he is now after the comic story.

Top Bottom