• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Game series that just doesn't live up to the hype

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
(This thread is kinda about my personal experience i had with the select games and its completely subjective)

There are popular games and there are games that are way overhyped and glorified that you're actually tempted to play them but on the other hand games like DMC are like not so popular you'd really have to stumble upon them to actually play them you won't see critics and fanboys on the internet glorifying the living hell out of DMC series.

I have tried metal gear solid Peace walker(Considered as one the best psp/Stealth games of all time) and Final fantasy 7(Considered as one the best ps1/RPG games of all time)

First off all Stealth is seriously lacking this game i know way better more efficient stealth games like hitman&splinter cell where the game acts according to your pace but in MGS the game is just another 3rd person shooter with the optional ability to use stealth like who cares about stealth when you have an assault rifle and other weapons just lying around ? it also has turret sections and rocket launchers.. actual stealth games would NEVER let you do that.

The Story... WTF IS THE STORY ? this was my first MGS game probably the last one i don't know who the characters are or wtf on hell was actually going on it might actually make some sense if it was in Japanese.

Its just MIND boggling for me as to why this game series is held to dearly when its clearly not a great stealth game and does not have an engaging story what is there to like ?

and i found FF7 laughably underwhelming as an RPG game its supposed "groundbreaking cutscenes&graphics" are nothing compared to Tekken 3's sweet'n'short CGI endings and nice 3d models the in-game models in FF7 look like complete sh!t.

FFVII-CLOUD.jpg
(I've seen better in-game models in minecraft)

I can relate to how Tekken 3 should get the best ps1 game of all time because its one of the best fighting games of all time but FF7 ?? WHY ? its just another mediocre turnbased strategy game with a silly bishonen premise it should NEVER EVER be crowned as the best ps1 game of all time.

Turn based Strategy games should have been treated with negative reviews because they actually go backwards in time to SNES era why the hell does a game which goes back in time gets so much praise for innovation is just beyond me.

I just can never understand the appeal i'll take chrono trigger or dragon quest over FF anyday and while they're popular they never even come close to the pompous hype Final fantasy series gets

Zey

I came here to laugh at you.
Peace Walker shouldn't be your first game if you want to get into the series, is a sequel to MGS3 and they tell you the ending of the game in the prologue...About stealth, the game has stealth elements and there are some missions you can't complete if you only shoot everyone in front of you, it also reduce your rank at the end of the mission. The game is kinda different if you make a comparison with the other games in the series also.

About FFVII, is not my favorite RPG, not my favorite PSX game and not my favorite FF, but I don't think it was mediocre. It was the first FF/RPG game for a lot of people so I kinda understand why it would be so praised when it was released, it doesn't change the fact that it's kinda overrated though (something like Ocarina of Time).

On topic, I would say the Uncharted series, one of the most unbelievable overrated series I ever played without doubts.

Meg

Yeah I thought FFVII was terrible. It's nostalgia. That's why so many people still think it's the greatest RPG ever. Which is fine. People can love what they love for whatever reason they want. But I just don't get what is so great about FFVII. I thought it was boring. I couldn't even get that far into it. >.<

I never played a Metal Gear game, so I can't comment on that. I am considering getting that legacy collection or whatever it's called. So we'll see.

IncarnatedDemon

Yeah I thought FFVII was terrible. It's nostalgia. That's why so many people still think it's the greatest RPG ever. Which is fine. People can love what they love for whatever reason they want. But I just don't get what is so great about FFVII. I thought it was boring. I couldn't even get that far into it. >_<

I never played a Metal Gear game, so I can't comment on that. I am considering getting that legacy collection or whatever it's called. So we'll see.
I may get Legacy collection too, if it will be on pc.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Metal Gear as a whole is has been taking turns left and right with gameplay. Metal Gear 1 and 2 were NES games that looked like Zelda but with guns and stealth-based gameplay. I never played them; they just look like those types of top-down view games. Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, 3, and 4 started the whole stealth series Metal Gear is known for. The issue is the time when they were made. Splinter Cell had much more movement freedom compared to Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, and 3 which were PS1 and PS2 games. For whatever reason, probably due to hardware limitations, before Metal Gear Solid 4, all the games used a top-down-ish view. It wasn't until 4 when they started using the standardized third-person shooter view. Controls, well, 4 started the more "friendly" controls that past games weren't known for.

Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, and 3 were more heavy on stealth since weapons were always procured and never granted on subsequent playthroughs. So, if you found a rocket launcher, it's likely that it was mid to late game and you'll have to find it again on your next playthrough. MGS4 started the whole buy equipment, find equipment, and keep equipment for next playthroughs. That means if you get an OP weapon, you'll keep it forever. Sort of makes it boring when replaying the game and having a trusty sniper rifle that you don't get until Act 3. I love the Mosin Nagant.

Portable Ops or Peace Walker - I never played Portable Ops - started the manage bases, soldiers, and equipment system where you can recruit soldiers, improve your base, research and find better equipment, and choose your own playstyle. Peace Walker gave you more freedom in playstyle. You could just run and gun with heavy, powerful weapons and armor or you could go stealth with more non-lethal equipment and (overpowered) sneaking suit - it nullifies your footsteps and gives mid-high camouflage rankings across the board. If you want, you could wear normal uniforms or go naked to give some challenge, but when you start unlocking better equipment and recruit better soldiers, uniforms could do little to change how easy the game is on certain missions.

The Metal Gear Acid branch used turn and card-based combat, I believe. It's basically a side-story, but still a strange departure from the series' stealth gameplay to stealth-action gameplay. Now, we have Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance which as we all know is a hack n' slash game featuring the beloved or hated Raiden.

Metal Gear Solid V with its open-world gameplay will change the series even more. Open-world stealth and action. That means you could sneak through the whole game across mountains, deserts, bases, etc. or you could play it like Borderlands - it's open-world, work with me here - and kill everyone. Or, go Grand Theft Auto and screw around with cars, bases, guards, etc. Yeah... Metal Gear as a whole can't really be defined as one genre anymore. The only other open-world stealth games I can think of right off the bat are Dark and Deus Ex. Dark didn't do so well, but Deus Ex also allowed non-lethal, lethal, loud, and stealth playstyles.

Story-wise, you might want to start with Metal Gear Solid or Metal Gear Solid 3. Portable Ops, Peace Walker, 2, 4, and V are pretty much going to spoil the past games, start you off confused, or basically mind screw you like in Metal Gear Solid 2. The Metal Gear Acid games and Rising: Revengeance are sort of spin offs even though Rising continues after 4. Metal Gear 1 and 2 would be fine if you get a chance to play them, they were made before Metal Gear started getting a convoluted story-line. 3 is basically the beginning so no weird references or any of that. 1 is sort of a similar case since it doesn't involve or reference any of the prequels or (obviously) the sequels since it was before any of the other games. It's like DMC1 and DMC3, basically. That's kind of why you don't jump into books, films, games, etc., whether they're considered the greatest or whatever. It's best to start with the first (in the story).

Personally, I love the Metal Gear series, but I don't go around saying it's the best ever. Nothing is the best ever. If something was, then why the hell are new cars, books, films, theorems, games, or anything are made. I mean, why have firearms when we can use rocks? Rocks kill, break, start fires, acts as weights, can be comfortable beds, etc. They're multiple purpose tools. But guess what? There are different tools that are more efficient than rocks like lighters, actual beds, hammers, scales, etc. Anyway, I digress.

Metal Gear Solid 3 was my first stealth game I could finish. Splinter Cell was my first stealth game and let me tell you something: when you're young, stupid, and have no idea how firearms work or that AI can "listen", then you're effectively screwed in Splinter Cell. I had no idea how iron sights worked; not joking here. Yeah, I know, put the gun and pull the trigger. My stupid, young self did not understand that pointing the dot on the iron sights or centering the iron sight's circle meant it'll hit whatever is in front of it, like, I don't know, an annoying guard. The only firearm I could use well was the EZ gun because it had a laser sight. I did figure out how iron sights worked; if I didn't I wouldn't be playing any shooters at all. Metal Gear had quirks, humor, and stupid stuff like guard seeing burned buildings and thinking that was natural. That sort of hooked me into the series along with Ocelot's revolver juggling.

I do have opinions on the Final Fantasy series along with other beloved/hated series, but this post is way too long as it is.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
DmC: Now I know what you people are thinking, but honestly as much as I loved it and prefer it over the original games...it didn't live up to its hype. It's story was solid, but I just felt there could've been more added to it, and its gameplay was actually all that I wanted it to be, except no twosome time or dance Macabre. Also it was way too easy and didn't really give me that much of a challenge. Granted I did die a few times the first time playing it, but still a bit too easy.

MGR: Now granted, I cared nothing about this game because I found the cyborg ninja in high heels thing stupid, but I played it and honestly, it isn't all that. The cutting mechanic was just an easy way to breeze through the game, its story was a bit cliched, and I was annoyed at how Raiden was pretending to be Dante. But besides all that, it was an okay game, just not that good.

Naruto UNS: Literally feels like they release the same game over and over again but with more characters and new attacks. Nothing news really added and it feels like the COD for anime. Plus, I don't even like Naruto so I knew it wasn't gonna live up to my hype.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
COD, Call Of Duty. Honestly, I just don't see the appeal. How many times can they rehash the same thing with a few new weapons and areas, then call it a brand new game? All you do is run around and shoot people. Plus, the online experience is terrible Full of rude kids, swearing teens and even adults throw tantrums on there. :blink:

Yeah I thought FFVII was terrible. It's nostalgia. That's why so many people still think it's the greatest RPG ever. Which is fine. People can love what they love for whatever reason they want. But I just don't get what is so great about FFVII. I thought it was boring. I couldn't even get that far into it. >_<
Have to agree, I think VII is out of a sense of nostalgia. It was the first JRPG I played. I thought it was so good back in the day, but playing it now...not so much:p I still like the game, but I don't look at it the same way I did when I was 11.
Plus, Sephiroth is the most overrated gaming villain ever. I don't know why people think he is such a good villain. The guy has mother issues, his father is that creepy scientist Hojo, and you're not even really fighting the real Sephiroth until the end of the game. The guy has about as much character depth as a pancake.>_<

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
COD, Call Of Duty. Honestly, I just don't see the appeal. How many times can they rehash the same thing with a few new weapons and areas, then call it a brand new game? All you do is run around and shoot people.
Plus, the online experience is terrible Full of rude kids, swearing teens and even adults throw tantrums on there. :blink:

It's a FPS. That's how it is supposed be. But yeah, I agree with everything else you said.

I'd say Diablo 3 didn't live upto its hype. Also, to some extent, Assassin's Creed 3.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Assassin's Creed, CoD, Mass Effect (even though I have played them all and quite enjoyed the first one) and anything to do with Street Fighter, Tekken or Mortal Kombat.

On a side note, I find it hard to see the appeal of certain popular games from the past purely because I am used to seeing a higher calibre of story, gameplay, graphics, acting etc. So my views about games from 'way back when' are tainted horribly by my inability to see how advanced and awesome they were back then compared to what was available at the time.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
On a side note, I find it hard to see the appeal of certain popular games from the past purely because I am used to seeing a higher calibre of story, gameplay, graphics, acting etc. So my views about games from 'way back when' are tainted horribly by my inability to see how advanced and awesome they were back then compared to what was available at the time.
Your skepticism isn't really unjustified all popular game series are mostly just milked for profits the DLC's and numerous annual releases just deteriorate overall quality of the series bogging them down to mediocrity.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
(This thread is kinda about my personal experience i had with the select games and its completely subjective)

There are popular games and there are games that are way overhyped and glorified that you're actually tempted to play them but on the other hand games like DMC are like not so popular you'd really have to stumble upon them to actually play them you won't see critics and fanboys on the internet glorifying the living hell out of DMC series.

I have tried metal gear solid Peace walker(Considered as one the best psp/Stealth games of all time) and Final fantasy 7(Considered as one the best ps1/RPG games of all time)

First off all Stealth is seriously lacking this game i know way better more efficient stealth games like hitman&splinter cell where the game acts according to your pace but in MGS the game is just another 3rd person shooter with the optional ability to use stealth like who cares about stealth when you have an assault rifle and other weapons just lying around ? it also has turret sections and rocket launchers.. actual stealth games would NEVER let you do that.

It's not really considered a stealth game, I think. Kojima likes to call it 'tactical espionage action'. As Wikipedia says: ''The player must navigate the protagonist, Solid Snake, through the game's areas without being detected by enemies''. That sort of makes it more like a puzzle than a stealth game like Splinter Cell. MGS has always mainly been about the story. Peace Walker... well... I don't even like it, though. I mean, I like that you can manage a base of operations, and that you need to pick your weapons based on what the mission is about, but I haven't found it to be anywhere near MGS3 as far as gameplay is concerned. That said, I find myself being very cautious in PW because the enemies will spot you pretty easily. When they do, you can shoot them to bits, but that'll do a number on your mission rating.

The Story... WTF IS THE STORY ? this was my first MGS game probably the last one i don't know who the characters are or wtf on hell was actually going on it might actually make some sense if it was in Japanese.

Yeah, Peace Walker isn't the best MGS game to start out with. I played MGS3, so I luckily have some idea of what's going on. I see Peace Walker more like some kind of side game. It was made for the PlayStation Portable, and it really shows.

Its just MIND boggling for me as to why this game series is held to dearly when its clearly not a great stealth game and does not have an engaging story what is there to like ?

If Peace Walker, like you said, is the first MGS game you've played, how can you pass judgement on all the other MGS games? Besides, you have to look at it in the context of the time it was released. MGS1 would probably look pretty weak now, but it's from 1998, so... yeah. And MGS plots are always pretty engaging - as long as you pay close attention to what's going on, that is.

and i found FF7 laughably underwhelming as an RPG game its supposed "groundbreaking cutscenes&graphics" are nothing compared to Tekken 3's sweet'n'short CGI endings and nice 3d models the in-game models in FF7 look like complete sh!t.

You're comparing a Final Fantasy game to Tekken? I'm guessing they meant groundbreaking cutscenes and graphics for a Final Fantasy game. The FF before FF VII was FF VI, after all - with the sprites, you know? If they didn't mean that, then it's just poor marketing.

FFVII-CLOUD.jpg
(I've seen better in-game models in minecraft)

I can relate to how Tekken 3 should get the best ps1 game of all time because its one of the best fighting games of all time but FF7 ?? WHY ? its just another mediocre turnbased strategy game with a silly bishonen premise it should NEVER EVER be crowned as the best ps1 game of all time.

I can't say I know much about FF VII, as I've only played it for a very short while, in 2010 or something, which is just way too late to play such an outdated game. Final Fantasy VIII, though, wow, such an excellent game. Incredibly underrated, too. Probably because people didn't take the time to understand the Junction system, and were put off by its extravagant plot. I like extravagant plots XD Besides, you can't judge games based on your emotions. It takes at least one playthrough to know if the game is factually good or bad in your eyes.

Turn based Strategy games should have been treated with negative reviews because they actually go backwards in time to SNES era why the hell does a game which goes back in time gets so much praise for innovation is just beyond me.

I'm sure there's more to the games than just turn-based battles. Lost Odyssey had them, but it really worked, and I don't see the problem. I like to get the time to plan out my attacks, all the while having a perfect view of the battlefield, the enemy and your characters. It just gives you more control than even Final Fantasy XIII does, oddly.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
My top overrated games are:

Skyrim (yeah, it was nice, but not worth a 10/10. I mean, that's just ridiculous - especially when you consider that Oblivion had deeper, more involving quests that yielded nicer rewards. See Skyrim's Dark Brotherhood vs Oblivion's Dark Brotherhood. Holy F. Oh, and then most things were just copied from Oblivion. Do I really want to get the sword Goldbrand in Skyrim, if I already got it in Oblivion? It even looks exactly the same.

Assassin's Creed (pretty much all of them, I think). Yay, kill this guy. Kill another guy! Let's do it some more! Jump into a hay cart; the highlight of the game! [insert boring cutscene with guy nobody cares about].

The Call of Duty Modern Warfares (except for MW1, I guess). Call of Duty 2 was nice enough: playing as a Russian, an Englishman, and an American. Missions ended with a nice quote, it was actually a hard game if you played on Veteran, and the aiming wasn't all over the place yet like in MW3 and Black Ops.

Mass Effect. Mainly ME3. That game was so annoying and tiresome I only managed to finish it once, whereas I played ME2 thrice or so. I needed a cold shower afterwards. The ending was fixed, so that made it bearable, in the end. Mass Effect 2, on the other hand, was actually pretty fun. ME3 ruined the whole Cerberus storyline for me, and the Illusive Man just turned out to be indoctrinated. Blaaaargh... same as in ME1.

Gears of War 2 and 3. I got the sense that the atmosphere of GOW1 had long since evaporated. And what is up with those characters? Not only are they obnoxious, they look like they're on steroids.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
It's not really considered a stealth game
from wikipedia:Genre:Action-adventure, stealth"

>When they do, you can shoot them to bits, but that'll do a number on your mission rating

like why bother with the ratings when game encourages you just go in and shoot everything ? that's the problem i have MGS if its a stealth game then it better focus on stealth elements like tenchu not like asssassins creed where you can just army your way through everything most of the time.

>Yeah, Peace Walker isn't the best MGS game to start out with
Not a popular opinion eh ?
http://asia.gamespot.com/metal-gear-solid-peace-walker/ (9.0 editor's choice along with all the perfect user scores)
http://www.ign.com/games/metal-gear-solid-peace-walker/psp-965242 (9.5 amazing)
http://www.metacritic.com/game/psp/metal-gear-solid-peace-walker (user score of 8.9)

also you can easily find this game on anyone's TOP 10's&MUST PLAY PSP games of all time,tell me isn't it kind of an exaggeration for a game like this which isn't meant for everyone ? heck i know a more fun game which is called "Syphon filter" and no one has ever heard of that game and it is way more fun 3rd person shooter/stealth game on psp with a simple understandable plot and YET it doesn't get so much of hype and popularity as this one gets ! WHY ? .

> If Peace Walker, like you said, is the first MGS game you've played, how can you pass judgement on all the other MGS games?
Because it shares the basic gameplay/story elements with all other games along with the same hyper craze and fangasms it gets around the world

Not to mention i'm only calling it out for being denoted as "The best psp game of all time" which is not true at all there are way more fun and simple 3rd person shooters on psp.

>And MGS plots are always pretty engaging - as long as you pay close attention to what's going on, that is
I tired to but seriously this sh!t is just beyond me and no one should be forced to play some other game in the series just to get a basic idea on what's going on in the current game i can pick up and play asssasins creed 3 and i can still catch up with the plot because its simple,i can pick up play any zelda game and still won't feel like i missed anything but MGS ?? fu*k that ! i'd rather watch random episodes of neon genesis evaluation.

>I'm guessing they meant groundbreaking cutscenes and graphicsfor a Final Fantasy game
NO ! It is clearly heralded as the game of "innovation" to include full CGI cutscenes and amazing graphics for a PS1 game ! that is WHAT annoys me !

Resident evil 1 had more detailed in game models ! did that game get that much pandering for innovation in graphcis ??
Resident-evil-1.jpg
He looks like a blocky human compared to this >
sephirothff7.jpg
(Yeah i'm totally taking this lego game seriously -_-)

Aeris.jpg

Groundbreaking cutscenes MY ASS ! this looks like sh!T compared to these cutscenes

maxresdefault.jpg

ITS A PS1 Game and you can clearly see the astronomical difference between both of them.. graphically

NOT TO mention that FF7 crisis core is also heralded as the best psp game of all time which is believe is just more or less like FF7 which is also just a mediocre RPG game.

>Final Fantasy VIII, though, wow, such an excellent game. Incredibly underrated, tooUNDERRATED ?? are you freaking KIDDING ME ?? SERIOUSLY ?
>Besides, you can't judge games based on your emotions
I'm not i'm judging it as a game and it doesn't even deserve 1% of the praise it gets it is a poor attempt at a 3d RPG game.

This is a turn based game and there are lot of repeated attacks right ?? 3d animations take considerably lot of time and it makes the whole game feel like a drab why not play a game where the attack animations are actually fluid and fast ? why not just pick up and play something like chrono trigger ?? why not go around saying that chrono trigger is the "Must play best ps1 game of all time ?"

>I'm sure there's more to the games than just turn-based battles
Whatever it is i'm not seeing its just a bishonen story with crappy graphics (yes even for a ps1 game) and slow attack animations..its just p!ss-poor imitation of SNES era's brilliant turn-based RPG games.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
from wikipedia:Genre:Action-adventure, stealth"

>When they do, you can shoot them to bits, but that'll do a number on your mission rating

like why bother with the ratings when game encourages you just go in and shoot everything ? that's the problem i have MGS if its a stealth game then it better focus on stealth elements like tenchu not like asssassins creed where you can just army your way through everything most of the time.

What makes you think the game encourages you to go in and shoot everything? In MGS3, if you're playing it on like the hardest difficulty, that's really not a good idea. But you said you only played Peace Walker, right? It seems pretty easy to just shoot through that one, yes. MGS2 and MGS3, definitely not (I haven't played MGS1, so I can't say anything about that one).

>Yeah, Peace Walker isn't the best MGS game to start out with
Not a popular opinion eh ?
http://asia.gamespot.com/metal-gear-solid-peace-walker/ (9.0 editor's choice along with all the perfect user scores)
http://www.ign.com/games/metal-gear-solid-peace-walker/psp-965242 (9.5 amazing)
http://www.metacritic.com/game/psp/metal-gear-solid-peace-walker (user score of 8.9)

also you can easily find this game on anyone's TOP 10's&MUST PLAY PSP games of all time,tell me isn't it kind of an exaggeration for a game like this which isn't meant for everyone ? heck i know a more fun game which is called "Syphon filter" and no one has ever heard of that game and it is way more fun 3rd person shooter/stealth game on psp with a simple understandable plot and YET it doesn't get so much of hype and popularity as this one gets ! WHY ?

Hey hey, I know Syphon Filter! I played an old one on the PS1, I think. Well, technically there's probably not much wrong with Peace Walker. It all works well, and so it's a pretty decent game. I personally don't find it fun enough to continue playing after a few hours, but that might just be me. I played through MGS3 multiple times; its plot, cutscenes and gameplay are that good. It's fun to collect camouflage suits by tranquilizing bosses. It's fun to find out how CQC works and use it to beat the Boss (Big Boss' mentor). It's fun to try and find a mythical serpent (rat-snake mix :p) called the Tsuchinoko. It's fun to listen to every codec conversation, because they're pretty funny sometimes. I guess it's the little things that make a big difference.

> If Peace Walker, like you said, is the first MGS game you've played, how can you pass judgement on all the other MGS games?
Because it shares the basic gameplay/story elements with all other games along with the same hyper craze and fangasms it gets around the world.

Peace Walker is very different from the other MGSes, believe me. As far as I know, you can't climb trees, the plot is much less interesting to me, the missions are brief, the controls are a bit more clunky, the soundtrack isn't as good, and the graphics are about the same as MGS3 (maybe a little worse). I think you can't even crawl; making this a less stealthy MGS than MGS3. And MGS3 is from 2004. I'd play the other games first before you judge an entire series based on one game.

Not to mention i'm only calling it out for being denoted as "The best psp game of all time" which is not true at all there are way more fun and simple 3rd person shooters on psp.

I'm sure there are. But hey, every game is called the best of everything. I look at the back of DMC4 and it's supposed to be legendary. Deceptive advertising.

>And MGS plots are always pretty engaging - as long as you pay close attention to what's going on, that is
I tired to but seriously this sh!t is just beyond me and no one should be forced to play some other game in the series just to get a basic idea on what's going on in the current game i can pick up and play asssasins creed 3 and i can still catch up with the plot because its simple,i can pick up play any zelda game and still won't feel like i missed anything but MGS ?? fu*k that ! i'd rather watch random episodes of neon genesis evaluation.

I agree that you shouldn't be forced to play another game in the series to understand that one. That said, there's nothing we can do about it now. The game already exists. MGS3 and MGS2 are understandable without playing MGS1. I don't know about MGS4; I didn't have it because I had a 360, not a PS3.

>I'm guessing they meant groundbreaking cutscenes and graphics for a Final Fantasy game.
NO ! It is clearly heralded as the game of "innovation" to include full CGI cutscenes and amazing graphics for a PS1 game ! that is WHAT annoys me !

That is weird, and annoying. I hope that kind of advertising isn't possible anymore, then. Although, I've seen a lot of exagerration on the backs of games over the years.

Resident evil 1 had more detailed in game models ! did that game get that much pandering for innovation in graphcis ??
Resident-evil-1.jpg
He looks like a blocky human compared to this >
sephirothff7.jpg
(Yeah i'm totally taking this lego game seriously -_-)

Aeris.jpg

Groundbreaking cutscenes MY ASS ! this looks like sh!T compared to these cutscenes

maxresdefault.jpg

ITS A PS1 Game and you can clearly see the astronomical difference between both of them.. graphically

I agree. But I do want to point out that FF VII never tried to have realistic graphics. It's like with FF IX: it's got small characters with large heads. This is a design choice.

>Final Fantasy VIII, though, wow, such an excellent game. Incredibly underrated, tooUNDERRATED ?? are you freaking KIDDING ME ?? SERIOUSLY ?

I'm talking about Final Fantasy 8, if you don't know how to read Roman numerals. Probably an honest mistake, though.

This is a turn based game and there are lot of repeated attacks right ??

Yes, and it's even worse in Final Fantasy XIII. You just keep pressing auto-attack. But with FF XIII, that's luckily not what the game is about. XIII is about paradigm shifting at the right time, and using the right paradigm deck. Stagger is also an added gameplay feature. Repeated attacks is pretty much what every RPG is about. In Skyrim, you keep using the same shouts or spells (until you get stronger versions of those attacks, like in FF).

3d animations take considerably lot of time and it makes the whole game feel like a drab why not play a game where the attack animations are actually fluid and fast ? why not just pick up and play something like chrono trigger ?? why not go around saying that chrono trigger is the "Must play best ps1 game of all time ?"

I don't know, I haven't played it. As for fluidity and speed, pretty much every FF after VI has that, in my opinion. It's just what you're used to, I guess.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I was talking about FF VIII (8) being underrated, not FF VII (7). Just to make that clear without the need to scroll down all the way. I have not played FF VII much. Oh, and it's Neon Genesis Evangelion, not Neon Genesis Evaluation :p

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I was talking about FF VIII (8) being underrated, not FF VII (7)
Sorry for the misunderstanding but yeah FF8 seems like an ordinary RPG classic to me rather than underrated.

>What makes you think the game encourages you to go in and shoot everything? In MGS3, if you're playing it on like the hardest difficulty, that's really not a good idea.
Well here's the thing its just the same thing as minecarft if you just don't feel like doing it then you're just not going to enjoy it.. personally i'm used to playing stealth games which are only focused on stealth nothing else no fancy cutscenes or boss battles or turret sections

>I haven't played MGS1, so I can't say anything about that one
I have actually played MGS1 like 10 years ago and yeah i remember it being a very different type of game with an isometric type of view not a 3rd person view and there was no CQC combat either and i don't really remember much about the game.

>Peace Walker is very different from the other MGSes
Well despite those minor details don't they capture the essence of the series as a whole ?? i've been introduced to many game series by just playing games in complete random order

So does that mean that every MGS game is really different from each from gaemplay aspect ?? :blink: and still manages to get good reviews ? but i've also heard about how MGS 4 was very different and a mixed bag title like RE6 that many fans still hate.

>I'm sure there are. But hey, every game is called the best of everything. I look at the back of DMC4 and it's supposed to be legendary. Deceptive advertising.
I just can't understand how this series is worshiped and adored around the world... some even call kojima a great visionary LMAO i can kinda see the minor appeal like the cool cutscenes and over the top action sequences but they're still pretty much abundant in today's games so there's just nothing unique left inside the gameplay.

> I don't know, I haven't played it. As for fluidity and speed, pretty much every FF after VI has that, in my opinion. It's just what you're used to, I guess

I still have problems playing some of the PS2/PSP's turn based RPG's because of that problem alone 3d animations are usually slower than 2d ones and that's why i always opt for a 2d RPG if i'm playing a turn based one it just gets annoying to downright torture according to the amounts of the time you have to see the animation again and again in 2d they're so quick.

>It's like with FF IX: it's got small characters with large heads. This is a design choice.
I just don't see the artistic appeal either.. they just look.. well bloky..

I can appreciate this artstyle >
images
but for FF7 nah i just don't find it aesthetically presentable(again not seeing the appeal *sigh*)

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Sorry for the misunderstanding but yeah FF8 seems like an ordinary RPG classic to me rather than underrated.

>What makes you think the game encourages you to go in and shoot everything? In MGS3, if you're playing it on like the hardest difficulty, that's really not a good idea.
Well here's the thing its just the same thing as minecarft if you just don't feel like doing it then you're just not going to enjoy it.. personally i'm used to playing stealth games which are only focused on stealth nothing else no fancy cutscenes or boss battles or turret sections

And some people are used to more varied gameplay. It all depends on what you're looking for in a game. Doesn't mean MGS is a bad game series; it just means it's disappointing to you because you like other things and expected something else. There have been many occasions in Splinter Cell games when I thought ''F this, I'm not going to stealth all through this level''. Of course, it's not a good idea shooting your way through, just like it isn't in MGS. I feel that MGS at least allows you to fight back with weapons if you need to, whereas SC Chaos Theory, for instance, would give you a 'game over' or basically let you die from one shot if you decided to go lethal.

>I haven't played MGS1, so I can't say anything about that one
I have actually played MGS1 like 10 years ago and yeah i remember it being a very different type of game with an isometric type of view not a 3rd person view and there was no CQC combat either and i don't really remember much about the game.

Well, I do know MGS1 had pretty much the same view type as MGS2, which is third person (though maybe a bit more elevated than MGS2).

>Peace Walker is very different from the other MGSes
Well despite those minor details don't they capture the essence of the series as a whole ?? i've been introduced to many game series by just playing games in complete random order

PW doesn't play much like MGS3, I think. You don't really have to sneak, you can't crawl, camouflage seems useless, and many missions revolve around destroying one target. The others MGSes don't have missions - just ongoing gameplay. It's been a while since I played PW, but I think it didn't even really have many interesting codec conversations. It really feels like a different game. I would still recommend playing the other MGSes first. I'm sure there's people on this site who can give you a better idea of why MGS is so good; I just played MGS2, MGS3 and PW for a bit, and watched cutscenes from MGS4, so that doesn't exactly make me an expert. MGS4 was badly received by some, because it had so many cutscenes it was almost considered an interactive movie. It gets a lot of excellent reviews too, though. Some say it's the best MGS.

>I'm sure there are. But hey, every game is called the best of everything. I look at the back of DMC4 and it's supposed to be legendary. Deceptive advertising.
I just can't understand how this series is worshiped and adored around the world... some even call kojima a great visionary LMAO i can kinda see the minor appeal like the cool cutscenes and over the top action sequences but they're still pretty much abundant in today's games so there's just nothing unique left inside the gameplay.

Maybe we should judge the games based on what they were like back then. Besides, you can't just ignore the MGS story; it's arguably one of the best stories out there (though I don't really like such confusing and detailed stories). The cutscenes are great, and it's got pretty varied gameplay. MGS2 had you look for C4 all over an oil plant, PW has you upgrade and customize a base, MGS3 asks you to employ different tactics for every boss, and to make use of camouflage and distraction, etc etc. MGS2 had an entire moral philosophy behind it, I can go on, but it's best to experience it yourself.

> I don't know, I haven't played it. As for fluidity and speed, pretty much every FF after VI has that, in my opinion. It's just what you're used to, I guess

I still have problems playing some of the PS2/PSP's turn based RPG's because of that problem alone 3d animations are usually slower than 2d ones and that's why i always opt for a 2d RPG if i'm playing a turn based one it just gets annoying to downright torture according to the amounts of the time you have to see the animation again and again in 2d they're so quick.

Well, that's the price you pay for 3D, I guess. Gears of War is a pretty slow game too, but I'm not going to turn it into 2D... would kind of ruin the experience.

>It's like with FF IX: it's got small characters with large heads. This is a design choice.
I just don't see the artistic appeal either.. they just look.. well bloky..

People probably didn't feel that way when the game was released. I love the game Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha, but by today's standards, all the characters look blocky:

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze

> And some people are used to more varied gameplay. It all depends on what you're looking for in a game
I was looking for a stealth game with a really engaging WW2 story like Schneider's list and full metal jacket but i didn't get either.. i just got a story which just seems go wayyy over my head and the stealth elements are pretty vanilla the game focuses more on just surprise attacks and episodic storytelling(which makes it even more confusing)

>SC Chaos Theory, for instance, would give you a 'game over' or basically let you die from one shot if you decided to go lethal

I like the hitman way better you're given an open-world environment tools of murder are everywhere you just have to be discreet and blend in everywhere while setting those traps and when you get caught you're basically let to suffer the consequences if you're unarmed because you chose to leave you're weapons outside again i think the game should punish you if you're not doing what a game is supposed to be a stealth game.

> Well, I do know MGS1 had pretty much the same view type as MGS2, which is third person (though maybe a bit more elevated than MGS2).
But i still wonder if it had its enemies dropping rations and free guns lol i still can't quite get what type of game this is is this a cinematic 3rd person shooter or is it a stealth game ? or is it a tactical 3rd person shooter game ? >_<
>PW doesn't play much like MGS3, I think. You don't really have to sneak, you can't crawl, camouflage seems useless, and many missions revolve around destroying one target. The others MGSes don't have missions - just ongoing gameplay
Wow for all the pretentiousness its just a stripped console version of the game ?? so many people are duped into thinking that this is actually a complete game whereas its just a vague shadow of its console counterparts.. well now its pretty obvious that its just overrated as a psp game on its own.
>it's got pretty varied gameplay
See this is where i want to ask what is it exactly ?? what differentiates it from other 3rd person shooters ?
>Well, that's the price you pay for 3D, I guess. Gears of War is a pretty slow game too, but I'm not going to turn it into 2D... would kind of ruin the experience.
I think you didn't get my point.. i'm fine with 3d but watching repeated attacks/defenses/spells in ps2/psp graphics just gets painful to sit through

Whereas in 2d RPG games your attacks/spells/defenses are cast almost instantly without any animation delays because its just a sprite in Current gen games it might not be the problem but i personally find it a huge problem in older gen RPG games.
>People probably didn't feel that way when the game was released. I love the game Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha, but by today's standards, all the characters look blocky
I was talking from PS1 standard of graphics and many ps1 games have so much better looking in game models FF7 models just look plain ugly.
look at Megaman Legends
tumblr_mg6hpf6Ec21qbn69no1_500.png
he doesn't look like a lego with spiky hair he actually looks like megaman ! i can still see the distinctive charm.. but FF7 just plain look stupid to me even for a ps1 game the design is just off.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
i can still see the distinctive charm.. but FF7 just plain look stupid to me even for a ps1 game the design is just off.
Weren't the FFVII graphics so weird because it was very early on in the PS1 life cycle? The FMV graphics did get better in FFVIII and FFIX. Still not sure why they decided on that kind of graphics style for FFVII though:/ All I can say is thank goodness they made Crisis Core for PSP, so you get to see some of the VII scenes in decent graphics.

Top Bottom