• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

General DMC 5 Discussion

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Ronin
V joins the team but he spends his time being a freeloader (not serious:wink:).

@berto
They probably just changed that detail. I didn't see them as being too sacred with the continuity anyway so it's not that big a stretch. Even if you wanted to keep the novel in canon you would have to change aspects anyway to make it fit.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Considering what happened with Morrison, I've learned to take the anime/novels as "secondary canon" and just accept what the games say as true now. It's a lot less of a headache.

The first novel is non-canon anyway, so any details from that did not happen or happened in a different way.

DarkSlayer54

The first novel is non-canon anyway, so any details from that did not happen or happened in a different way.

I'm still annoyed that the novels became non-canon. Capcom had a real opportunity to run with it and establish a richer universe... but nope! Let's just ignore what came prior for... really no reason. It's not like the games have any kind of deep story.

It definitely makes me excited that DMC5 is doing what it can to reincorporate elements of those novels into the canon, but... I still wish it was fully connected to them.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
I'm still annoyed that the novels became non-canon. Capcom had a real opportunity to run with it and establish a richer universe... but nope! Let's just ignore what came prior for... really no reason. It's not like the games have any kind of deep story.

It definitely makes me excited that DMC5 is doing what it can to reincorporate elements of those novels into the canon, but... I still wish it was fully connected to them.

Really? All novels non-canon?

Wish DMC2's character Beryl was real & canon.

DarkSlayer54

Really? All novels non-canon?

Wish DMC2's character Beryl was real & canon.

That's my understanding of them. The games always do whatever they want...

I'd definitely want to be proved wrong on them being non-canon, but I just can't convince myself of anything else.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
So someone leaked the trophy list...allegedly so take it with a grain salt but.....I'm still putting it as a spoiler so I recommend any discussion about be in spoiler brackets.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DevilMayCry/comments/an9wwt
Platinum - Devil May Cry - Unlock all trophies.
Bronze - Let's Rock! - Complete the game on Human mode.
Bronze - Showtime! - Complete the game on Devil Hunter mode.
Bronze - Doing Daddy Proud - Complete the game on Son of Sparda mode.
Silver - Dance with the Devil - Complete the game on Dante Must Die mode.
Silver - Stairway to Heaven - Complete the game on Heaven or Hell mode.
Gold - Highway to Hell - Complete the game on Hell and Hell mode.
Bronze - Fall from Grace - Clear the Prologue Mission.
Bronze - Protect the People - Defeat all enemies in Mission 01.
Bronze - Where the Red Orbs Grow - Collected Red Orbs from an unexpected spot in Mission 02.
Bronze - Reunion - Clear Mission 03.
Bronze - Backroad - Destroy a certain wall in Mission 04.
Bronze - Break a Leg - Fend off a menace from above in Mission 05.
Bronze - End of the Line - Clear Mission 06.
Bronze - Share the Pain - Clear Mission 07 with both Nero and V.
Bronze - Light in the Darkness - Clear Mission 08.
Bronze - Eagle-Eyed - Destroy a certain wall in Mission 09.
Bronze - This Ain't Over - Clear Mission 10.
Bronze - Don't Mess with the Best - Use proper timing to get a leg up in a close-quarters battle against the boss in Mission 11.
Bronze - The Qliphoth - Clear Mission 12.
Bronze - Each In His Own Way - Clear Mission 13 with Nero, V, and Dante.
Bronze - Gotta Hurry - Clear Mission 14.
Bronze - Slick Moves - Proceed with caution and avoid unneeded damage in Mission 15.
Bronze - Obedience Training - Go on the offensive without relying on brute force in the Mission 16 boss battle.
Bronze - Back to Life - Clear Mission 17.
Bronze - Man on a Mission - Clear Mission 18.
Bronze - Battle for the Ages - Clear Missions 19 and 20 without using continues (any difficulty except Heaven or Hell).
Bronze - Not Too Shabby - Perform a Stylish Rank S combo.
Bronze - Steppin' up the Style - Perform a Stylish Rank SS combo.
Bronze - Seriously Stylish Slaying! - Perform a Stylish Rank SSS combo.
Silver - Secrets Exposed - Clear all secret missions.
Bronze - The Quick and the Dead - Defeat 5 enemies in 1 second.
Gold - Well I'll Be Damned - Wield overwhelming power to exact an unexpected conclusion.
Silver - Hell of a Hunter - Clear all missions with S rank.
Gold - Worthy of Legend - Clear all missions with S rank on all difficulties except Heaven or Hell.
Bronze - I Believe I Can Fly - Rack up a total of 60 minutes in the air by jumping or other means.
Bronze - Nothing's Impossible - Acquire all of Nero's skills.
Bronze - Be the Legend - Acquire all of Dante's skills.
Bronze - Demon Breeder - Acquire all of V's skills.
Bronze - Physical Perfection - Upgrade your vitality gauge to max.
Bronze - The Devil's Own - Upgrade your Devil Trigger Gauge to max.
Bronze - A New Job - Accept a new job from Morrison after the Red Grave incident.
Silver - Jackpot! - Collect more than 1,000,000 Red Orbs total.
Bronze - Demon Destroyer - Defeat 1,000 enemies total.
Bronze - Rearm and Repeat - Collect more than 100 Devil Breakers during missions.
Bronze - Dante The Gambler - Use more than 500,000 Red Orbs total with Dr. Faust.
Bronze - Who Needs Weapons Anyway? - Clear Mission 11 without equipping a weapon set for Dante (any difficulty except Heaven or Hell).
Bronze - Unarmed and Dangerous - Beat Mission 07 without any starting Devil Breakers equipped (any difficulty except Heaven or Hell).
Bronze - Pet Protection - Clear Mission 05 without V's demons getting stalemated (any difficulty except Heaven or Hell).

Okay some of these sound really bizarre (borderline fake) like we can choose to not equip weapons for Dante. I can understand doing that for Nero but Dante. The "Obediance Training" trophy could be referring to Cerberus but the requirements sound both vague and odd like how do we not defeat a boss without brute force in a DMC game. Must be some odd in boss fight criteria or something. The "A New Job" trophy sounds VERY interesting and the "Well I'll be Damned" trophy sounds both unclear and interesting. There is only 2 trophies for beating a Mission with 2 or more characters and Itsuno confirmed we can at least play mission 3 and 4 with V and Nero and I doubt there is only 2 to 4 missions out of 20 where we can only play as other characters)....Also there is a prologue Mission probably that leak months ago.

The trophy titles and requirements/descriptions really don't give much away its almost like Capcom expected the trophies to leak so they made them very unspoilery (no mentions of weapons, bosses, etc) yet designed to bring up intrigue (this job with Morrison). All I got out of this is that you fight Cerberus in Mission 16 or it could be that giant chicken Nero fights. The game seems to mainly have 20 missions (actually 21 since we can count the Prologue Mission now). The mission structure does sound more off than what I was expecting and the standard difficulty settings are there. I do like that these trophies push players to try and discover things and experiment/be a bit more risky rather than awards for just playing the game and completionist crap (they still have those but far less than usual). I wonder what is so special about these wallso_Oo_O

Granted this is if its legit. Its 50/50 at this chance maybe less than that. It also does sounds like a fake trophy list one could make based around the info we have about the game.

berto

I Saw the Devil
This posters is being given away for free when you buy the game at a store in Japan. Not sure what the dimensions are but since I can't get my hands on one it doesn't matter:
871200.jpg

Stickers:
1.jpg

https://www.play-asia.com/search/CAPCOM+X+B_SIDE?x=21&y=18
capcom-x-bside-label-sticker-devil-may-cry-5-dante-583623.1.jpg

capcom-x-bside-label-sticker-devil-may-cry-5-v-583629.1.jpg

-583617.1.jpg

capcom-x-bside-label-sticker-devil-may-cry-5-shiyou-kana-583633.1.jpg

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters

The first light novel would have clashed with 3's tone. It could work but you would have to rewrite it to fit where the light novel leaves Dante.

You could have pushed it after 3 but before 1 but you would have to tweak it because 3 leaves Dante in a much different place than where he is in the light novel. The anime would've been perfect for it.

In hindsight, the reboot would have benefited from incorporating it. Pitching DmC as exploring his tony redgrave would have helped sell it to the fans.

I'm also curious about how 5 handles it. Im hoping people recognize Dante as Tony. It might have been better if one of Grue's kids was a part of the cast. Grue was Dante's partner and he had two surviving kids.

Last edited:

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
https://www.reddit.com/r/DevilMayCry/comments/an24dw
As you know some the moves of King Cerberus has been revealed in CapcomTV livestream couple of months ago. I suspected that there are moves that has been not revealed yet. Obviously we don't know what those moves are. Since i don't know japanese i couldn't figure out what was Itsuno talking about in the livestream but according to interview done by u/ToneForA for japanese DMC players Schnee and 475 i have come across this quote.

T: For Dante: what weapons are you looking forward to and what older weapons would you like to see return?​
S: Cerberus!!! it's my favorite weapon. and has totally changed in DMC5. Itsuno revealed a lot of moves on Capcom TV but he said, "It's only 1/3 of its moves" Also, Barog? I am looking forward to it! Especially the punch mode, and for returning weapon, I want Nevan in DMC5​

This caught my attention according to Schnee's translation there are only 1/3 moves revealed for King Cerberus. I asked Plat from DMC5Info to confirm this even though she couldn't check the livestream due to her being in her way to London for the event. She had the opportunity to ask Itsuno about it. This quote is the DMs we had couple of days ago

I quickly asked Itsuno about Cerberus in London and he specifically mentoned that he wanted to show 'a lot more' of Cerberus in the Capcom TV stream than what he got to show. He didn't repeat the 1/3 number back to me, but I'll check this out for myself when I'm back in Ireland - Plat​
So i have decided to gather all King Cerberus's movelist that has been shown in the Capcom TV livestream. Please keep in mind that i have also used made-up names that i came up with so i can sort them out those are not final and accurate names for the moves.

Source video:

(Edit: Reorganizing the moveset)

Ice nunchucks

Cerberus Combo I

(11:05) (Y) , (Y) , (Y) , (Y) , (Y)

Cerberus Combo II

(11:14) (Y) , (Y) , PAUSE , (Y) , (Y)

Swing

(13:23) (WHILE IN AIR) (Y)

Crystal

(11:49) Lock On + Back + (Y)

Revolver

(12:14) Lock On + Forward + (Y)

Ice Age

(12:45) Lock On + (Back + Forward) + (Y)

Lightning Sansetsukon

Electrical Charge (Unofficial Name)

Hold (Y)

Electrical Projectiles (Unofficial Name)

(13:19) Lock On + Back + Hold (Y) and release

(Side note: It looks like it can be charged while doing other moves such as Crystal just like in 11:50)

Electrical Fliperino (Unofficial Name)

(14:12) Lock On + Forward + Hold (Y) and release

Electrical AOE (Unofficial Name)

(15:03) (WHILE IN SWORDMASTER) Hold (B) and release

Electrical AOE but cool (Unofficial Name)

(15:54) (WHILE IN SWORDMASTER) Lock On + Back + Hold (B) and release

Shocking Dance Macabre (Unofficial Name)

(16:40) (WHILE IN SWORDMASTER) Lock On + Forward + Hold (B) and release

Fire Bo Staff

Fire fliper boi (Unofficial Name)

(14:27) (WHILE IN SWORDMASTER) Lock On + Back + B

Hot and Juicy (Unofficial Name)

(14:31) (WHILE IN SWORDMASTER) Keep mashing (B)

Hot and Juicy into the flamey Million Stab (Unofficial Name)

(14:35) (WHILE IN SWORDMASTER) (B) , (PAUSE) , Keep mashing (B)

Flamey kicker (Unofficial Name)

(15:17) (WHILE IN SWORDMASTER) Lock On + Forward + (B)

Hot Pole Dance (Unofficial Name)

(15:58) (WHILE IN SWORDMASTER) (WHILE IN AIR) (B)

Like I heard that we've only seen 2/3 of King Cerberus moveset but now I keep hearing from Japanese speakers he said 1/3 and there is another 2/3 they haven't shown off. That sounds borderline insane I have a hard time believing King Cerberus will have around 45 different moves. Itsuno might be overplaying it or made some mistake (or the translators made some mistake). It would totally overshadow the other melee weapons (outside maybe Balrog since its rocking over 20 moves). I can buy say around 30 moves.

berto

I Saw the Devil
@Stylish Nero
The weapon has 3 stances. That's 15 moves per stance. if Balrog has 30 that means 15 pers stance for it, too. Personally I'd prefer a large moveset. If you're going to recycle moves from the previous games the least you could do is add to them so you're not just repeating yourself.

1549427838465.png

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
So I finally played the demo now that it's out on PS4. My hype had somewhat deflated when I realised it's virtually the same demo that was released on Xbox way back when, but I was still interested in knowing how it actually felt to play it myself.

For the most part, the game feels good. The only real gripes I had were that Nero doesn't feel that much evolved from 4 (I was literally playing DMC4:SE earlier funnily enough) and the Devil Breaker mechanic is bizarre and obtuse to use. o_O

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
At first, I was surprised at how much less Nero had in this demo, no second Exceed, Air Hike, Roulette Spin and whatnot, but it turns out that this game actually lets you customize at the van, which is actually a welcome sight.

Demo also confirms that you can make an entire arsenal of the same Devil Breaker, and they cost mostly small beans compared to upgrades. Still not my favorite mechanic what with the breaking and all, but you can essentially create an arsenal of a single devil breaker you might enjoy the most; if I remember correctly, Nico will also only drop arms in the level that were in your arsenal as well, so you'll only ever pick up more of your favorite.

EDIT: Going through again with an arsenal of nothing but Gerbera, and I did come across a Punchline, so it seems like the arsenal doesn't determine what arm drops you can find.

Also, my experience was way better once I jacked up the Camera Speed and the Camera Distance to their max.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
The thing that bothers me about the DBs is that the one you pick up last is the one you have quipped first. Sometimes the one I have equipped is the one I want so the fact that you can't send the new one to the back bothers me a bit.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Yeah, there's a lot of little elements of the Devil Breakers that just aren't really conducive to the player's benefit.

Top Bottom