• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

How did Yamato wind up broken?

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Itbis tied to vergils body and soul so I assume it broke due to his defeat in mallet island , or else mundus broke it after vergil lost to him

Yeah I'm pretty sure this is why Yamato broke. Remember that Vergil and Yamato were both transformed and corrupted. When Mundus' corruption got the better of Vergil and he was defeated by Dante, he appeared to "explode" or break away/out of the corruption (there are different theories regarding this) I'd say that Yamato was broken from that particular event and that's why it needed to be 'reconnected' in DMC 4.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
i second the whole mundus broke it after they fought notion.

why it wasnt fixed was more due to mundus's pettyness or maybe it was remade into the sword nelo angelo uses magically so when Vergil and Mondus lost it reverted back?

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Even now, Capcom refuses to give us an official explanation. Only after seven years, did they confirm that Vergil is Nero's father (through his shadow at the end of his final cutscene).

I think it's because they're too worried about fan backlash. If Capcom's answer doesn't fit in with their headcanon, then they'll work themselves up into an unwarranted frenzy.
Nelo Angelo being Vergil's corrupted form. And the zweihander was Yamato transformed, I thought. I could be wrong though.
Oh, alright. Thought you had a source no one else did. XD

Makes sense.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
I'd guess that in the fight at the end of DMC3, Mundus broke the Yamato. I don't think there's any evidence that the Yamato transformed into the zweihänder. It does transform into the zweihänder in corrupt Vergil's DT in DMC3, but that doesn't mean anything. All it really means is that Nelo Angelo using the Yamato would probably look awkward and/or not fit the lore. Nelo Angelo never used the Yamato, therefore him using the Yamato in DMC3 would just be wrong too.

Also, if the Yamato was broken when Vergil turned into Nelo Angelo, technically the zweihänder should be broken too considering it's the same weapon. Unless it just 'unbreaks' itself and then breaks itself again. Besides, didn't Nelo Angelo technically die in the human world? If so, Mundus probably didn't go through the trouble to bring the zweihänder back to the demon world. And yet, that's where the Yamato must've come from, considering Agnus probably opened those minor hell gates and his demons found it there.

Considering the Yamato contains Vergil's soul in DMC4, it being broken symbolizes the breaking of Vergil's soul.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I don't think NElo Angelo's zweihander is Yamato either. Most likely Yamato after being broken in fight against Mundus wind up back in Order HQ where they placed it into Agnus' hands.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Kobayashi said that the order build the hell gates and send excursions to get devils and devil arms and they found Yamato by an entrance to one of the ones they build.

My assumption is that, in a classic action set up, it broke on a rather decisive attack. Vergil swings but sword breaks and he looses the battle because his opponent's attack lands.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Zanbatou was probably the corrupted Yamato, plus it's pop culture symbolic that a fallen samurai's blade is broken. How it broke doesn't really matter, it's just symbolic of where it came from and the status of its owner.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
Kobayashi said that the order build the hell gates and send excursions to get devils and devil arms and they found Yamato by an entrance to one of the ones they build.

My assumption is that, in a classic action set up, it broke on a rather decisive attack. Vergil swings but sword breaks and he looses the battle because his opponent's attack lands.
Oh, never knew that he actually confirmed it. But yeah, that's what I suspected. One of the demons that came out of the minor hell gates probably unsuspectingly brought it with them, or they did it on purpose because they realized it didn't belong in the demon world. In any case, if it came from the demon world, it's probably indeed not the zweihänder.

Vergil Crosse

I noticed something: Vergil is just as popular a character as Dante, and the main antagonist of Devil May Cry. However, he doesn't have his own game, or story line, playable in any of the games he appears in. The story that IS given of him, is half-hearted or ambiguous at best yet Vergil is one of the game's most interesting characters. He is shrouded in almost as much mystery as their father. There are many questions regarding him that Capcom could make AN ENTIRE GAME about:

1. How DID Yamato break? (I was surprised to find that it was broken on my first play through of DMC4. I Thought it was unbreakable considering it was able to cut through anything)

2. What happened during his trip to Fortuna and investigation of the "Order of the Sword"?
* Is Nero actually his child, or failed clone (Something that I read on these forums I believe)
* Is there a woman involved, and does Vergil actually love her? (again, love interests make a story more interesting)

3. What happened during his trip through the Demon World? (He was shown out of breath at the end of DMC3 alluding to possibly a big fight he just finished)

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
3. What happened during his trip through the Demon World? (He was shown out of breath at the end of DMC3 alluding to possibly a big fight he just finished)

Ehmmmmm yeah. The one against Dante.

That scene at the end where he is in the Demon World and runs at Mundus is right after he falls after the battle with Dante.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I always figured it broke during his fight with Mundus, it would explain why he didn't have it as Nelo Angelo. Either from the fight itself, or Mundus broke it to keep him from being too powerful. Since Yamato's like the middle of the Sparda swords (Not as powerful as the Sparda, but more powerful then Rebellion)

I think the bigger question would be how did the order get the sword, don't know the exact details. But I assume that since Yamato was needed to open the Hellgates, they were searching for it

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
I noticed something: Vergil is just as popular a character as Dante, and the main antagonist of Devil May Cry. However, he doesn't have his own game, or story line, playable in any of the games he appears in. The story that IS given of him, is half-hearted or ambiguous at best yet Vergil is one of the game's most interesting characters. He is shrouded in almost as much mystery as their father. There are many questions regarding him that Capcom could make AN ENTIRE GAME about:

1. How DID Yamato break? (I was surprised to find that it was broken on my first play through of DMC4. I Thought it was unbreakable considering it was able to cut through anything)

2. What happened during his trip to Fortuna and investigation of the "Order of the Sword"?
* Is Nero actually his child, or failed clone (Something that I read on these forums I believe)
* Is there a woman involved, and does Vergil actually love her? (again, love interests make a story more interesting)

1. As was said, it was probably broken by Mundus either when Vergil was defeated, or at the moment his soul was broken and corrupted into Nelo Angelo. The Yamato can cut through any worldly material, but I doubt it can withstand raw demonic power or magical power.

2. I haven't played DMC4 SE yet, but I assume no answers were given in it. Me, I like to think the reason why so many things allude to Nero being a modern-day Sparda, is because he was created from his DNA. Or possibly through some sort of magic. He wears red and blue, he used the Red Queen and the Blue Rose, Berial outright says that he is just like Sparda was... even his DT has some kind of eye patch (or one of his eyes is covered, at least), which reminds me a lot of Sparda's monocle. Aside from that, he's got a halo attached to his shoulders, which could symbolize Sparda's fall from grace -- his transition from one of Mundus's ''angels'' to the DMC universe's equivalent of the devil. At the same time, I also see influences that might come from Vergil... his Yamato sheath and blue color. It's all very strange.
For all we know, he was created by Vergil in cooperation with a member of the Order of the Sword, or some scientist we haven't seen. Maybe Vergil even suspected he could die at some point, and he wanted his soul to live on in Nero.

I just think Vergil having a mostly human child with a human mother seems contradictory to Vergil's statements about power, as well as his desire to become more demonic (retrieving Sparda's power). I doubt he'd want to saddle his son with the issue of a huge lack of power... unless Vergil knew his soul could be contained within the Yamato, to be transferred to Nero. In the end, we just don't know if Nero is Vergil's biological son from a relationship with a human, or if he's some kind of experiment.

3. I don't know if he ever went on a trip through the demon world. All we see in DMC3 is him falling after his defeat at the hands of Dante. Right after that, it looks like he's a bit wounded from his fall, and Mundus appears, to attack and enslave him.

Last edited:

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Well it was just my own thought on the matter. I still believe that Yamato was also altered in some way much like Vergil was. As someone put it, Vergil has a bond with Yamato. It's almost a part of him. A great surge of power, anything so great such as (Mundus' power/corruption over Vergil) is probably enough to break the sword. Mundus weakened its master first and put Vergil under his command. Therefore I'd say the sword became weaker with him and eventually broke from that explosion/eruption. Yamato is a very powerful sword, so it'd still be in perfect condition whilst fighting Mundus before DMC 1. This is why I don't think it was likely to have broken then and why I believe it broke afterwards when Dante 'defeated' Vergil.

Viper

Premium
1. As was said, it was probably broken by Mundus either when Vergil was defeated, or at the moment his soul was broken and corrupted into Nelo Angelo. The Yamato can cut through any worldly material, but I doubt it can withstand raw demonic power or magical power.

2. I haven't played DMC4 SE yet, but I assume no answers were given in it. Me, I like to think the reason why so many things allude to Nero being a modern-day Sparda, is because he was created from his DNA. Or possibly through some sort of magic. He wears red and blue, he used the Red Queen and the Blue Rose, Berial outright says that he is just like Sparda was... even his DT has some kind of eye patch, which reminds me a lot of Sparda's monocle. It's all very strange. For all we know, he was created by Vergil in cooperation with a member of the Order of the Sword, or some scientist we haven't seen. I just think Vergil having a mostly human child with a human mother seems contradictory to Vergil's statements about power, as well as his desire to become more demonic (retrieving Sparda's power).

3. I don't know if he ever went on a trip through the demon world. All we see in DMC3 is him falling after his defeat at the hands of Dante. Right after that, it looks like he's a bit wounded from his fall, and Mundus appears, to attack and enslave him.
I'd keep my mind open for everything, if you think Vergil talking about power and wanting to become demon is proof he didn't get down and dirty with a human woman. Wesker was the same, yet they still created Jake as his son, conceived naturally during short relationship.
Nothing is set in stone, but something that was already used (more or less) successfully has better chances. And if they even bring Bingo back... well, he is a romance novelist.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
Long ago
"Honey, have you found anything for the kids to protect themselves with!?"

"Don't worry, Eva, I'm going to the flea market, we'll just bind their souls to whatever I come back with!"

Top Bottom