• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I Have A Question

Railazel

Do people realize that Dante has about 4 different personalities? I mean if we're going to compare DmC Dante to the old Dantes, we can't just compare him to one.

Just something that's been bothering me and I thought should be discussed.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Yeah, I keep forgetting DMC Dante had four games and four different personalities, while DmC Dante had one so far. If anything I'd rather compare DMC1 Dante and DmC Dante.

MegaMad9

The Mad Man
Yeah, I keep forgetting DMC Dante had four games and four different personalities, while DmC Dante had one so far. If anything I'd rather compare DMC1 Dante and DmC Dante.
True, but when you think of Classic Dante, you think of Dante's personality as this wise cracking overly animated cocky demon hunter with a one liner for any situation, which you find in DMC3 and DMC4.

Railazel

Aye....this has been bothering me too. Most of the old fans wanna compare the DmC Dante to the DMC4 one, which is not right.

True, but when you think of Classic Dante, you think of Dante's personality as this wise cracking overly animated cocky demon hunter with a one liner for any situation, which you find in DMC3 and DMC4.

Yeah, this is a problem especially when arguing "realism" between Dantes.

To be fair, DmC Dante is no more realistic than DMC 1 Dante, he's just younger and has a more modern look. Just switch the two and you'll basically have the same guy with a different outfit and way of speaking. As for DMC 3 or DMC 4 Dante, they aren't realistic at all and DmC Dante is very different from those two. Outside of one- liners, DmC Dante handles things much differently than those two. So saying that the new Dante is more "realistic" than the previous Dante needs some clarification as to which Dante you're talking about.

Also, saying that the new Dante is "cooler" really depends on your definition of "cool" and what exactly defined each Dante as "cool" because each was awesome in his own way. DMC 1 Dante had a "challenger" feel to him and DMC 3 Dante was just... ridiculous. Each one had a different feel to him and so does the new Dante. He's cool in his own right and you can't really compare that to DMC 4 Dante who was a corny type of cool.

Mister Z

Changes avatars like they were t-shirts
Throwing DMC2 Dante aside, most of Dante's classic incarnations (including his guest appearences in games like MVC3, Proyect X Zone, etc., and also his anime persona) were more alike to each other than any of them compared to DmC's Dante. They shared a lot of common traits. It only makes sense to use these traits to amalgamize the idea of one classic Dante that can refere to any of his pre-reboot incarnations (except, again, for DMC2).

Railazel

It only makes sense to use these traits to amalgamize the idea of one classic Dante that can refere to any of his pre-reboot incarnations (except, again, for DMC2).

But that's still not the same as DMC 1 Dante or DMC 3 Dante and, as fans of the series, we should know better.

Domenic93

well, I can easilly explain dante's personality "changes"

DMC3 teenager who is neigh-indestructible, who has a flare for showing off and just amusing himself.

DMC1: he gets more serious because, he's going up against the king of the underworld who is responsible for his mother's death.

DMC4: After beating Mundus, the order of the sword's entire operation, isn't even a threat to him so he can just fool around the whole time,

DMC 2: he's either just very bored or depressed(it may also have to do with the fact that the game was originally going to be Chaos Legion 2)

Judgement

The skeptical, open-minded, conservative, pacifist
It can be seen that way I guess but all in all games Dante's personality was pretty much the same though it did change. This does make sense since when growing older people tend to reshape their personalities. In all of the games Dante was relatively the same type of cocky, one-liner, corny, lets-go kind of guy but just slightly changed over each game. I actually think they did a good job of working on his personality growth over the games to be honest. The only problem with that/my thinking is Dante's personality in DMC4 since it is based after DMC1. I think if it went DMC3->DMC4->DMC1 then that would make more sense since in DMC1 he wasn't as childish and such as DMC4. All in all he is still very similar besides DMC2 BUT even then in DMC2 he may have seen so much and done so much by that time that he just isn't the same person anymore so he became more quiet and contained. All ofthat being said I can also see DmC Dante fitting right into all of his other personalities in some sort, though slightly off. Just my 2 cents, all opinionated so feel free to poke at it.

Railazel

Just my 2 cents, all opinionated so feel free to poke at it.

Actually that's not too bad of a view on things. Though him being "slightly" changed is a little bit of an understatement considering that he went from "Flock off, Featherface!" to "WITH! GREAT! FORCE!" within a couple of years (timeline- wise).

Judgement

The skeptical, open-minded, conservative, pacifist
Actually that's not too bad of a view on things. Though him being "slightly" changed is a little bit of an understatement considering that he went from "Flock off, Featherface!" to "WITH! GREAT! FORCE!" within a couple of years (timeline- wise).

Though yeah that's why I mentioned how DMC4 being after DMC1 chronologically was kind of a problem in my theory haha >.<

KenKen

Gorram Browncoat
Let it be noted that I like DmC's Dante a lot. Probably more than the other interpretations (DMC3's Dante being a very close second).

But playing devil's advocate, maybe some fans would theorize that ClassicDante didn't change radically as much as he evolved. After the third game, the anime, manga, and every game he's been in basically use the same interpretation of Dante (although DMC4 doesn't offer the best possible version of Dante, they at least tried to replicate his attitude from 3).

That said, I don't really get why fans aren't open to the character evolving in a slightly different way.
At the end of the day, DmC Dante was a wiseass who liked slaying demons. There's not much of a difference in my book.

haha, Devil May Advocate.

Dominus

Anyone remember when DMC4 Dante looked like he had a darker side to him in the first couple trailers of DMC4..... Story looked so much more mysterious then..

MegaMad9

The Mad Man
Yeah, this is a problem especially when arguing "realism" between Dantes.

To be fair, DmC Dante is no more realistic than DMC 1 Dante, he's just younger and has a more modern look. Just switch the two and you'll basically have the same guy with a different outfit and way of speaking. As for DMC 3 or DMC 4 Dante, they aren't realistic at all and DmC Dante is very different from those two. Outside of one- liners, DmC Dante handles things much differently than those two. So saying that the new Dante is more "realistic" than the previous Dante needs some clarification as to which Dante you're talking about.

Also, saying that the new Dante is "cooler" really depends on your definition of "cool" and what exactly defined each Dante as "cool" because each was awesome in his own way. DMC 1 Dante had a "challenger" feel to him and DMC 3 Dante was just... ridiculous. Each one had a different feel to him and so does the new Dante. He's cool in his own right and you can't really compare that to DMC 4 Dante who was a corny type of cool.
Very true, I suppose we should use the word "edgy" instead of realistic. Still though, in retrospect, he acts more or less the same in DMC1, 3, and 4, but the differences make up all the difference in the world.

Top Bottom