• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I really gave DMC3 a chance...

DarkSlayer54

Lately, I've been trying really hard to enjoy DMC3, but after getting the HD collection I've come to realize that the game just isn't good. I've beaten it once on Easy, and got half way through Normal... Just yesterday I played it a bit, and managed to do two missions before stopping... throughout those two missions, I had one moment of fun (against the first enemies introduced).

The combat imo was an improvement from DMC1... I'm not fond of the style system at all, but it gave the combat some extra meat... but I've found the enemy designs, and level designs to be simply aggravating. It's just not fun, and I have no idea how I enjoyed the game as a kid. It was the first DMC game I played... so maybe that's why.

With the enemies, only 3 of them are fun for me. Two of them were in the first mission, and the last one near the end of the game... all of which had feet, hands, and a scythe. Other than those guys, the rest either bore me, or annoy me. I've found the Spiders and Blood Bats to be the most silly. They took enemies from DMC1 and ruined them... the blood bats have to be turned into stone first, which always feels like a chore, and if you try damaging them otherwise they multiply. I enjoyed fighting the bats in DMC1 since it was a fun challenge to beat them with a sword, while in DMC3 there's really only one way of dealing with them... at least, it's like that for me.
Then there are the spiders in DMC3... two things went wrong with them. They spit webs at you, and once they die they dissolve into dozens of small annoying ticks that jump on you. Bah, that completely ruins any fun I would have had. I don't like to be stunned, in any way... and here's an enemy, that has two ways of doing it.

Other than the first two levels, I can't say I like any of them. I find them all annoying and aggravating to play through. Some levels have annoying traps that damage you, and only you... if you're fighting an enemy, well... tough luck. They're immune to sharp blades. For whatever reason, I also get annoyed by all the backtracking in DMC3... something about it is just incredibly boring... and maybe it's just me, but the atmosphere in DMC3 is almost non-existant.

It's a bit silly, but I also wished DMC3 had some type of parry, and even more importantly... enemy weaknesses like in the first game. Even though DMC1 was more simple as far as combat went, it had a wider variety of challenges I could give myself. Such as, parry certain attacks instead of dodging them, or kill every enemy within 10 seconds of having them appear... and even after unlocking everything in the game, I'm still finding new attacks to parry in the game.

Overall, I guess DMC3 just isn't for me anymore. Felt like sharing.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
I can understand some of your complaints and you don't liking some features on the game, but some of them have their purpose or you don't had take your time to look at them, as they exists and works great within the game.

They took enemies from DMC1 and ruined them... the blood bats have to be turned into stone first, which always feels like a chore, and if you try damaging them otherwise they multiply.

They are actually intended to be the "annoying-type" enemy, exactly like the Plasmas on DMC1 (that die fast even in DMD, and those you kill in human form are most likely being multiplied too) that's why most of the Bloodgoyles encounters are in areas that you have to do a little plataforming or have pass them avoiding their attacks instead of just staying and fighting; they serve as a complement to fights were most enemies that cannot fight back well when being comboed and stunned. They add a measure of uncertainty and challenge to an otherwise easy battle, just like Soul Eaters do when on the same group of a Dullahan or Vanguard.

Then there are the spiders in DMC3... two things went wrong with them. They spit webs at you, and once they die they dissolve into dozens of small annoying ticks that jump on you.

DT is an universal tool to get rid of both these "wrong things", you don't need even to charge DTE, just using DT you get rid of both the web and the Arachne babies. Plus, when they jump in the walls mostly of the time them shots webs at you, is a very good time to deal great chunks of damage JCing A&R/Reb/Beo/Cerb on them as they most likely will stay still, while in the ground they move a lot and have great resistence to attack stunning making it hard to juggle or combo them for too long.

It's a bit silly, but I also wished DMC3 had some type of parry, and even more importantly... enemy weaknesses like in the first game.

The entire Royalguard style is built around parries. A well timed Just-release can parry nearly everything in the game. Enemies actually have weakenesses, both by specific weapons and some specific moments you attack the monsters, examples are: Cerberus to Abyss, A&R to Arachnes, Yamato to The Fallen; Stinger one Arachne after they do that "backdash" or that "taunt" by raising his claws, most of times they will get stunned because in that time they expose their "mouths", launch a Bloodgoyle to the air when they're about to get back to "blood-form", hit Geryon's head in the right time with any attack, hit Beowulf's eyes when he does any attack that exposes it, and so on. To implement the critical hits just like they were in DMC1 would mostly kill the entire combat system of DMC3, would render it useless as you would have a much more simpler ways to dispatch enemies like in DMC1.

Even though DMC1 was more simple as far as combat went, it had a wider variety of challenges I could give myself. Such as, parry certain attacks instead of dodging them, or kill every enemy within 10 seconds of having them appear... and even after unlocking everything in the game, I'm still finding new attacks to parry in the game.

All this you said can be done in DMC3 and with a more diverse moveset and strategies to work out. Just for the sake of demonstrating how much variety the styles can bring to the gameplay and to show you some of enemies weakeness that are clearly demonstrate on some of these vids:

Look at this Vergil 3 fight done by Heretic with RG style (my favourite in the game):

Brea fighting Fallens and Abysses with TS style:

Moe beasting Abysses and Archnes with SM style:

Alexx being a weapon of mass destruction with GL style:

DarkSlayer54

I can understand some of your complaints and you don't liking some features on the game, but some of them have their purpose or you don't had take your time to look at them, as they exists and works great within the game.
You're definitely right about that. I don't really know any bells and whistles of DMC3... and sadly, my annoyances with it prevent me from learning them.

DMC3 just isn't my type of game anymore. I loved playing it as a simple hack'n'slash type of game when I was younger, but now I just can't stand the enemy/level designs. I want to try and beat the game, at least on hard... but I dunno, I'll have to put some time to find out the quickest ways of killing enemies such as the spiders, statues, blood bats, fallen angels, the weird floating knights with the circular shield, and the mist enemy that only appears once your back is turned.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
I understand that, but still, if you're feeling a bit nostalgic someday, take a look at the Truestyle Tournaments or another combo videos on YouTube and see what you can still learn to pull out and enjoy in the game :)

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Could the reason you don't have an interest in level design be because you've been playing DmC and your use to colorful moving areas?

DarkSlayer54

Could the reason you don't have an interest in level design be because you've been playing DmC and your use to colorful moving areas?
I wouldn't say so. I prefer DMC1's levels over DmC. I think it's mainly due to all the hazards in DMC3, mixed with a huge amount of backtracking which annoys me. There aren't a lot of hazards... but whenever I have to go through the hallways full of the spinning blades, I loose a lot of motivation to continue playing.

What are your thoughts on DMC3?

DragonMaster2010

I wouldn't say so. I prefer DMC1's levels over DmC. I think it's mainly due to all the hazards in DMC3, mixed with a huge amount of backtracking which annoys me. There aren't a lot of hazards... but whenever I have to go through the hallways full of the spinning blades, I loose a lot of motivation to continue playing.

What are your thoughts on DMC3?

Well DMC3 was the first DMC I've ever played so obviously I put it on a high penistal. However its story is a bit sub par when really looking at it, and Dante seems to be just one liners and party references for every situation. It's like his version of Yolo and swag and that tends to get annoying after awhile. But in terms of rating, I give DMC3 a good 7/10.

GF9000000Returns

I feel ya. I remember I stopped on mission 13 in Very Hard mode because DmC came and then after a few months of playing DmC, I gave it a break to go back to the originals to see if I still got it. Sadly, it made my fingers HURT when I got back to playing it. After a few weeks of playing this game in the HD collection and finishing it in Very Hard mode, I just don't feel like playing it anymore. Makes me miss DmC even more now.

I still got love for DMC3 and is my most favorite DMC game(I even traded DMC4 for the collection), but now it just feels....(forgive me for saying this...) slow.

I Make The Devils Cry

It's just that most HD Collections shatter the cherry-tinted window of love that you had when you first got the game in most cases, or even if you buy a HD Collection that it stops that idea ever being there. Don't get me wrong, I love my DMC HD C. but, it was not the same experience as playing through it on my Playstation 2, and never will be, it's not because of the controls, or anything like that, it's because games don't age well. It's like someone saying their favourite games are on a N64, it's more likely their favourite game as a child was on N64, and the reason they love it is because of the fact it was a part of them growing up; you give an N64 to someone and tell them to play it, when they've never touched one before, you are more than likely to get told to get bent.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I still play 1 and 3 occasionally to this day but I hear a lot of people say the games are pretty dated and they haven't aged too well. I can see where they're coming from. Their design consisted of very trite trends that also were borderline tedious at times.

Being more of a retro gamer anyway my tolerance for older gaming mechanics and trends are pretty high because it's what I personally like to play more of. However, I can understand when some people say they don't hold up.

DragonMaster2010

Well I don't DMC3 is dated. I think it's just been so long since peopl ehave even held DMC3 in their hands and have lost touch with it after a while. With not much people who were enjoying DMC coming back to experience what made it so fun, the game is a bit stagnit now and that same feel for the game isn't there anymore for most. (including myself). Yeah DMC3 was a great game but there are bigger and better games out there now, and compared to them, DMC3 is in the back seat now.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
that happens sometimes. some games just don't age well for some people. guess DMC3 was just the game that didn't fancy your gaming needs as an adult.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Thank Christ there's someone out there that doesn't have DMC3's already oversucked **** halfway down their throat.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Thank Christ there's someone out there that doesn't have DMC3's already oversucked **** halfway down their throat.

*raises hand* I'm one of the few people who openly hates DMC3. I'm surprised you haven't seen any of my comments about it.

Personally, I agree with the OP's sentiments that the enemy and level design are entirely subpar. The enemies are too themey and gimmicky, and the level design is aggravating.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
*raises hand* I'm one of the few people who openly hates DMC3.
Nice. That's two people here who have at least some common sense. I haven't seen what you had to say about the game, sorry. And followed for being a level-headed person.

Just to be clear, I really like the in-game combat mechanics (and the fact that there are 5 melee weapons with complete movesets -- as opposed to the somewhat incomplete Gunslinger movesets) in DMC3.

I dislike everything else about the game, though.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
Nice. That's two people here who have at least some common sense. I haven't seen what you had to say about the game, sorry. And followed for being a level-headed person.

Just to be clear, I really like the in-game combat mechanics (and the fact that there are 5 melee weapons with complete movesets -- as opposed to the somewhat incomplete Gunslinger movesets) in DMC3.

I dislike everything else about the game, though.
did you get the feeling you were watching a horribly dubbed 80's children's anime during cutscenes?

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
did you get the feeling you were watching a horribly dubbed 80's children's anime during cutscenes?
Back then, sometimes. Nowadays, a hell of a whole lot more. :lol:

Oh and guys (Jak and Darigion), have you seen my thought on DMC3 "Vergell"? It really seems to have people up in arms. :shifty:

http://devilmaycry.org/community/th...ial-book-called-trinity-of-fates.15799/page-2

Edit:

Dear God, it's like watching a car accident. You want to look away, but you just can't.

I Make The Devils Cry

My two complaints, first, with all of the first three Devil May Cry titles... was the dialogue at times, I mean, I cannot stand some of it. Dante's dialogue whenever he goes self righteous/pinnacle of morality usually results in some of the worst lines I've ever known.
E.g.
"I should have been the one to fill your dark soul with light!" - Devil May Cry
"And my soul, is telling me that it wants to stop you!" - Devil May Cry 3
And whenever Dante talks in Devil May Cry 2 it makes me love the mute button more than I probably should.
I admit, DMC 3 has some good dialogue, but a lot of it is still bad, and slowly destroys the story for me over time, and stuff like that scores badly with me.
Second; the environment. I do love the environment in Devil May Cry 3, but it's a pain too me, and something I love too. Yes, some of it looks nice, and plays out well within the context, and it plays part to the story as well for most of it, but even then, lot of it just feels rehashed and unoriginal, and there's no life to a lot of it either, particularly in earlier levels.
I love DMC 3, but I can't help but hate those two points at times.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
My two complaints, first, with all of the first three Devil May Cry titles... was the dialogue at times, I mean, I cannot stand some of it. Dante's dialogue whenever he goes self righteous/pinnacle of morality usually results in some of the worst lines I've ever known.
E.g.
"I should have been the one to fill your dark soul with light!" - Devil May Cry
"And my soul, is telling me that it wants to stop you!" - Devil May Cry 3
And whenever Dante talks in Devil May Cry 2 it makes me love the mute button more than I probably should.
I admit, DMC 3 has some good dialogue, but a lot of it is still bad, and slowly destroys the story for me over time, and stuff like that scores badly with me.
Second; the environment. I do love the environment in Devil May Cry 3, but it's a pain too me, and something I love too. Yes, some of it looks nice, and plays out well within the context, and it plays part to the story as well for most of it, but even then, lot of it just feels rehashed and unoriginal, and there's no life to a lot of it either, particularly in earlier levels.
I love DMC 3, but I can't help but hate those two points at times.

What about Dante's dialogue in 2 was bad? I actually felt like 2's voice actor was one of his better ones, since they told him to play a silent badass and he certainly delivered. I mean, my favorite Dante line ever comes from 2. "King? Yeah." *ch-CHK* "Here's your crown."

Top Bottom