• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

interested in your opinion

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
I've been contemplating getting a tattoo lately but there are a few things that have made me doubt whether I should.

1. I'm not particularly fond of needles.

2. I don't know if I'd be setting a good example to my kids.

3. I'm Christian and therefore believe my body is God's temple. I don't know if the Big Guy would be in favour of me putting His name on it considering it already belongs to Him, you know?

At this point I'm ready to be swayed either way. What are your opinions on tattoos and what would you do if you were in my shoes?

berto

I Saw the Devil
There are many ways to look at a tattoo. Do some research on anthropological tattoos to learn more.

Your children are more resilient than you might think. You wouldn't, by far, be the first good parent with tattoos, it's not even rare anymore. That is hardly something to disrupt them. However, if you feel like you owe them before moving forward you can always talk to them about it and explain it to them, answer their questions and involve them in your decision.

In terms of your creed, I'm also christian but I don't particularly think that the American christian views of white picket fence is absolute. I've known a lot of good people with tattoos and I hardly think God will find you at fault for a little ink. There are far more damning sins that merit attention, and for something regarding your own body the law of sin is when what you are doing it to yourself becomes harmful that you cross the line. Piercings could also be argued for this but since ear piercing is such a broadly practiced thing nobody thinks too badly on it.

As for the needle thing? You're on your own, ese.

There are places in the world where dying without a tattoo in your body is like letting a canvas go to waste. They are a part of you and your body. The only reason I don't have one is because I could never make up my mind as to what to get and where.

Railazel

1. I'm not particularly fond of needles.

No one is (unless they are into that sort of thing).

2. I don't know if I'd be setting a good example to my kids.

Kids don't care about their parents tattoos.

3. I'm Christian and therefore believe my body is God's temple. I don't know if the Big Guy would be in favour of me putting His name on it considering it already belongs to Him, you know?

That depends. Do you see tattoos as "graffiti" or "art"? That'll determine whether you really want one or not. Other than that, the Bible never states tattoos are wrongs, so you're good.

I, for one, don't want tattoos. Not interested in getting them (yet, ironically, I plan on getting a piercing in an unmentionable area).

Razyel

Soul Reaver
Here's my free advice, ask yourself these:
- Do I really need this?
- Do I really want this, or is it just a whim?
- How much does it cost? What else could I get with the same amount of money?

In my honest opinion: do what feels good to you, but consider it carefully because erasing tattoos is a pain and costs a lot of money.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Get it. I don't have any tattoos myself but I personally really like them when they're well done. I appreciate the art and find them beautiful. Just make sure you know what you want and find someone good to do it.

When it comes to getting a tattoo the part that hurts the most is just the outlining. By the time they start shading it in it's usually numb.

I'm contemplating on getting a tattoo myself and if I do it'll probably be a Dragonball Z or Spider-Man one.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
First off, if you're not sure, try a temporary tattoo like a henna one or a press on tattoo, or even use some semi permanent tattoo pens to see if you're ok with the look. They fade pretty quickly so it won't be the same as making a lifetime commitment.

Quite a lot of people who have tattoos totally hate needles, but they get it done anyway because they like having art on their skin. Think of it like something beautiful coming from pain.
It's up to you whether you think you can take the pain though. Some of my friends describe it as annoying scratching or itching, while others said it was more like a mild burning feeling. But each person has a different pain tolerance, so, just go with what you think you can take.

As far as your your children go, well, getting a tattoo doesn't make you a bad parent, nor will it set a bad example. I've come across parents who are a bad example, and not all of them have ink. There are far worse things you can do to yourself that will also harm your children. Having a tattoo is not one of them.

As for your religious beliefs coming into conflict with having a tattoo, I think that's between yourself and your belief. I mean, only you can answer that. If you believe that god gives people free will, then it's your god given right to use that, and that includes whether or not to have a tattoo.
But, I will say, I know christians with a few tattoos, I know guys in biker groups who are christians and have loads of ink on them. But it doesn't make them any less christian; a tattoo doesn't suddenly make them an evil sinner or something like that; they're still out there living their faith.
What about a religious themed tattoo? I've seen some people get them as an affirmation of their faith and the process of the pain of getting a tattoo has been like a bonding experience between them and god.
There are even tattoo artists who are practicing christians out there. Maybe find one of them and talk to them about it.

Practically, do you know a reputable artist who practices all the health and safety precautions and makes good art? Are you certain that you want a tattoo and won't change your mind? Do you think that you can sit there for half an hour or maybe over an hour to have it done? Is the tattoo a sudden decision, or have you been thinking about it for a while?
Don't do it if you're not 100% sure, don't do it just on a whim because this ink is permanent. Laser removal can only do so much, and certain ink colours take more laser treatment than others to remove. Laser treatment has been said to hurt more than the tattooing.

If you're unsure, visit a few tattoo parlours, ask around and get to know the artists, look at their portfolios and see if you like their style.
Also bear in mind that ink fades with time and you might need to get it redone. As well as that, skin loses elasticity with age; what looked like a cool tattoo in the teenage years or 20s starts to get saggy and wrinkly.

I don't have any tattoos myself; partly because I don't know if I could pick some artwork and have it on my skin for the rest of my life. I'm too fickle. :tongue:

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
it doesn't feel like a regular needle. much more like a constant vibrating pin on your skin. your kids are fine. if anything (imo) you'd be setting a good example by going out and showing that you are comfortable enough to put on your body what you truly like. because after all, tattooing is just another form of art. as for god, depending on if you favor the OT or NT, i'm pretty sure if you don't break the 10 commandments, he'll have kurt cobain greet you saying "come as you are"

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Well, Claire you know I've been thinking of a full body tattoo for a long time so I'm certainly not gonna say "don't do it", but I agree with Loopy and some of the others. You definitely need to be sure you want to do it before you do it. Like Loopy said, maybe try a temporary one first? If you like that and are still set on it, then progress from there. =) I don't think your kids will mind you getting a tattoo. From what you've said about them, they seem like they'd be understanding about it.

If you really are certain, then I'd probably go with a more religious themed design in you're concerned about it going against your religion, but I'd also say don't completely decide against other things, either. You might find some design that has nothing to do with any kind of religion at all and you might fall I love with it. But, I think, if you take your time and really think it over you'll find something that works for you. ^^

I hope, if you get one, that it turns out well. :3

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Thanks for the replies guys.
I'll take your advise and play with the idea for a while longer. Maybe it is just a whim so better safe than sorry. I was thinking of getting the symbols for alpha and omega on my wrists, alternately, but after reading what @Loopy had to say, I may just get a tattoo of Dmc3 Dante. So I can watch him get wrinkly and faded and saggy over time.
No, ew, gross, I kid.:woot:

Thanks again guys :thumbsup:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Aww, am I too late to the party?

I'm not crazy about needles either; but like others have said, it doesn't feel the same. You feel the vibration of the tattoo gun, as well as a scraping sensation. Depending both on your pain threshold, and the exact spot you're getting tattooed, the sensation varies. I have four; three of them barely hurt (specific areas of the tat were more tender) and the other hurt a fair bit, from start to finish.

I'm of the mind that, as long as it has meaning to you, and you're fully certain you won't regret it later, there's nothing wrong with a little ink.

Lol, I considered getting a chibi Dante; no, I really did. But, I go through this with a lot of fandoms when I'm at my peak with them, and not a single one has made it on my body, so I'm pretty sure it never will. :laugh:

This is why it's so important to give it a lot of thought, so you're on the right track. :thumbsup: (I still have designs I want to do, and have been thinking about for the last 5-8 years).

And like Berto said, as far as "bodily harm" goes, it isn't much different than piercings. I guess ear-piercing is more common place, which is why it's so readily accepted (tattoos have been around forever, but the context in which one gets a tat is very important). If you're doing it for the big guy, I'm sure he'll be fine with it. :)

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Getting it on any part with fat or bone close to the skin is the most painful, but parts with harder muscles like the upper arm or forearm, back, shoulders, lower legs are much less painful. Maybe just get a small one to try it out first and see. A lot of people get those done small on the inner wrist or whatever so they can see it if it's some kind of reminder or motivational thing.

Dark Drakan

Admin
I have tattoos and my fiancée has plenty more than me but if you even have to question if you should get one then you most definitely shouldnt. Until ANY doubt has left your mind you shouldnt even consider getting one, what I did was draw up designs or get someone to draw up a design and left it a good year to see if I was bored of looking at it yet. Because if you get bored of it when its on your body then your only options are cover ups (bigger tattoos and limited to designs that cover old work) or painful and expensive laser removal.

Top Bottom