• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Just what the heck is so good about Metal Gear Rising?

IncarnatedDemon

I like him quite a bit, just like I like Nero.(Look at my sig...I kinda like hated characters)

And sadly MGR is canon to the franchise...

Imagine DmC being OG Dante's origin...and that's how I feel, it just feels wrong.

MGR woud've been a cool reboot to Raiden's character...but it being canon just feels off
can you explain what by MGR is bad for Raiden's character?

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
tumblr_m6wub7SJa81rqq0c0o1_500.gif

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I like him quite a bit, just like I like Nero.

And sadly MGR is canon to the franchise...

Imagine DmC being OG Dante's origin...and that's how I feel, it just feels wrong.

MGR woud've been a cool reboot to Raiden's character...but it being canon just feels off

Yeah, that's understandable. Still, if I wanted to, I'd just ignore MGR. It's easy to do for me, since MGR does not subtract anything from the MGS games. It just tells of what Raiden did in the time after MGS4. It was first intended to be an interquel between MGS2 and MGS4, but since it all takes place after the main series pretty much ended (death of Solid Snake), why care about what happens in MGR?
If I didn't want to ignore MGR, well, the plot may be canon, but who says the characters' personalities and the stuff they say is? If all this is documented, maybe it is. Kind of hard to care, either way.

Fran0823

DmC and DMC why can't we have both?
can you explain what by MGR is bad for Raiden's character?

He's always been an insecure man, sure. But the entire "Jack the Ripper" persona BS just came out of nowhere, in MGS4 he never once went total psycho despite being pushed to the limit...and in MGS2 he was a rookie spy so no psycho there

But at the end of MGS4 he had a family , in MGR that is barely mentioned in game. The ENTIRE point of Raiden in MGS4 was to come to terms with his past and regain his lost humanity, and he finally does exactly thar, when he's accepted by his son...and in MGR he pretty much claims that he's now a killing machine....¬¬

Platinum pretty much SUCK at stories, and they turned Raiden...a cool tragic character into yet another white-haired anime hunk with a big sword and some evil alter ego....

I do not HATE MGR....but I expected better

The original "Between MGS2 and MGS4 plot where Raiden has to come to terms with his new body" idea was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better, but shoehorning it after Snake's dead and the finale of his saga...just no

EnJ

Shade
...I don't even...like...really?

"It's their problem" you just proved my entire point! you don't care about the quality of the game's plot/design as long as it has fast combos...Then why do you people criticize DmC for "alienating/betraying fans" with their design choices?

You don't care they ruined Raiden's entire personality...but you DO care for Dante's?

Hipocrisy at it's finest

Logic?

Bad MGS game doesn't equal bad game. It's bad MGS game not because of bad plot or design or gameplay, it's bad MGS game because of it made not in MGS-style.

"You don't care they ruined Raiden's entire personality...but you DO care for Dante's?"

Yes, i dont care they ruined Raiden but i do care for Dante. Like MGS fans who don't care about Dante but care about Raiden. It's make sense?

Zey

I came here to laugh at you.
He's always been an insecure man, sure. But the entire "Jack the Ripper" persona BS just came out of nowhere, in MGS4 he never once went total psycho despite being pushed to the limit...and in MGS2 he was a rookie spy so no psycho there

But at the end of MGS4 he had a family , in MGR that is barely mentioned in game. The ENTIRE point of Raiden in MGS4 was to come to terms with his past and regain his lost humanity, and he finally does exactly thar, when he's accepted by his son...and in MGR he pretty much claims that he's now a killing machine....¬¬

Platinum pretty much SUCK at stories, and they turned Raiden...a cool tragic character into yet another white-haired anime hunk with a big sword and some evil alter ego....

The original "Between MGS2 and MGS4 plot where Raiden has to come to terms with his new body" idea was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better, but shoehorning it after Snake's dead and the finale of his saga...just no

I just wanted to point out that MGR story is work of Etsu Tamari (Kojima Productions), Platinum Games just asked them to change the setting to post-MGS4 so they could have more freedom with the deveploment and it was made with the idea of being accesible to people that never played a Metal Gear game.

By the way, Raiden hair is not white and it was designed by Yoji Shinkawa (main designer of the series).

Fran0823

Logic?

Bad MGS game doesn't equal bad game. It's bad MGS game not because of bad plot or design or gameplay, it's bad MGS game because of it made not in MGS-style.

"You don't care they ruined Raiden's entire personality...but you DO care for Dante's?"

Yes, i dont care they ruined Raiden but i do care for Dante. Like MGS fans who don't care about Dante but care about Raiden. It's make sense?

Where have I heard this before?
Oh yeah...my own mouth, defending DmC

Fran0823

I just wanted to point out that MGR story is work of Etsu Tamari (Kojima Productions), Platinum Games just asked them to change the setting to post-MGS4 so they could have more freedom with the deveploment and it was made with the idea of being accesible to people that never played a Metal Gear game.

By the way, Raiden hair is not white and it was designed by Yoji Shinkawa (main designer of the series).

I know his hair is blonde (borderline silver)...I was exagerating xD

IncarnatedDemon

Doesn't going after PMcs companies that abuse kids and turn them into a cyborg soldier say alot about Raiden's humanity?

And why are you bashing PG for? MGR Project (after PG came on board):

LEAD WRITER:
Etsu Tamari(KP)

LEAD CUTSCENE DIRECTOR:
Masaya Kubayashi (KP)

In other words, Platinum Games did not have a primary role for the story of MGR.

I understand MGR story was lacking, i reallly do. But was the story bad? In my opinion, no.
I did not feel that Raiden was killing people for sake of his own enjoyment. He did it to protect kids.
When Raiden realized that Nanomachines were supressing the soldiers fear...he stopped attacking them.

I suppose your critque of Raiden going psycho is fair and probably valid, but is that really that big of a issue?

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot

It was also explained (in MGR) in a very lengthy fashion that Raiden's past is, in the end, not something he can simply come to terms with. He can't regain his lost humanity, because he never really lost it. Courtney tells him he's still Jack to him, not Jack the Ripper. I think he just sees it as part of him now. At the end of MGR, he even indulges in killing, because it's part of who he is, and he likes it, apparently. The game does away with typical right vs wrong stuff, and I can't wait to see what Raiden is going to do next; whether he will change even more. Still, I can see that MGS4 would seem invalidated by all that. If so, just ignore MGR - see it as a kid going ''and he lived happily ever after''. It doesn't subtract from MGS, it's not part of that series, etc etc we all get it by now.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!

Actually Platinum Games didn't write MGR it was Etsu....something something and other workers from Kojima Productions.

Kojima only hired PG for gameplay.

The story, art, and enemy/character designs were done by Kojima Productions although PG had their fair share of creative inputs (they were the ones who suggested a sequel to MGS4 rather than a prequel, the original plan, for more creative freedom as well as came up for the idea of Sam and his design).

In defense of Etsu writing and Raiden's character events from Raiden's past were brought up in MGR such as being used as a child soldier and his past life as "Jack the Ripper". Raiden before the events of MGS2 took severe counseling to get over his past after the Liberian war and was able to adapt in society as Jack/Raiden. Nothing happened in MGS2 or MGS4 that had Raiden recall of his traumatic past.

Those innocent kids being used as child soldiers and having their eyes and brains being harvested to be used in cyborg soldiers, the same cyborg soldiers that Raiden has been cutting down for sometime now. So not only could he relate to those kids since he was in their position but the poor kids were being forced and used for evil purposes by an organization he bears a grudge against and were sent to their deaths to his (Raiden) very hands. Coupled with his dying anger towards Desperado that was still growing and more memories of his former life coming back to him, a life and memories he wanted to forget, and lets not forget being pushed to his limit and the stress of it all created a mental pressure far greater than anything Raiden ever experienced in MGS2 or MGS4 making him recall his former life as a child soldier and adopt the persona "Jack the Ripper" he once abandoned and wanted to forget.

My only gripe with Raiden's character arc was that after he defeated Armstrong and Desperado he didn't return home to his family or at least think of his family and how they will feel about him going back into action.

IncarnatedDemon

can i just please point out a scene where Raiden talks to Kev ? This scene is after Raiden goes "Jack is back!!" i.e going psycho.

1:03:34 begin watching videofrom here to 1:04:12

"I don't want this...for anyone else." *while holding his abdominal area*

How did Raiden lose his humanity? I feel that he accepts what he has become.
Sometimes...when you do something alot...it becomes your nature.

Something you cant do anything about. Even if you try to fight, it is still in your subconsicious, always there, telling you "You are this".

Fran0823

can i just please point out a scene where Raiden talks to Kev ? This scene is after Raiden goes "Jack is back!!" i.e going psycho.

1:03:34 begin watching videofrom here to 1:04:12

"I don't want this...for anyone else." *while holding his abdominal area*

How did Raiden lose his humanity? I feel that he accepts what he has become.
Sometimes...when you do something alot...it becomes your nature.

Something you cant do anything about. Even if you try to fight, it is still in your subconsicious, always there, telling you "You are this".

The entire "Jack the ripper" persona was nonexistent in the past games(And he recalls his experiences as a child soldier a LOT in MGS2)...He had more...real problems in MGS4 and I asure you, pyscho side was not one of them

IncarnatedDemon

Tell me when Snake told Raiden "I am fighting for a future", isn't that what Raiden is doing at ending of MGR?
Did you see what Sundowner said "We have offices all over the world" refering to brains of kids being harvested.

Raiden found a cause that he is willing to fight for.
I get it you think "What about his family? What about MGS4 ending?!".

Tell me, as someone who can closely relate to whats happening to kids during MGR or as a father,
isn't it ethically wrong for Raiden to turn his back on whats happening to kids?

Should Raiden go "I did my job here, i dont have any responsibility for remaining kids. Time to go back to my family"?
He made his choice and it doesn't involve forgetting about his son or wife, it just involves being away from them to ensure innocent kids like his own son are not turned into cyborg killing machines.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Tell me when Snake told Raiden "I am fighting for a future", isn't that what Raiden is doing at ending of MGR?
Did you see what Sundowner said "We have offices all over the world" refering to brains of kids being harvested.

Raiden found a cause that he is willing to fight for.
I get it you think "What about his family? What about MGS4 ending?!".

Tell me, as someone who can closely relate to whats happening to kids during MGR or as a father,
isn't it ethically wrong for Raiden to turn his back on whats happening to kids?

Should Raiden go "I did my job here, i dont have any responsibility for remaining kids. Time to go back to my family"?
He made his choice and it doesn't involve forgetting about his son or wife, it just involves being away from them to ensure innocent kids like his own son are not turned into cyborg killing machines.

It didn't help that he had early cybernetics and still looked like a freak to many people even with his humanish body at the end of Metal Gear Solid 4. You could definitely see the lines where his body was put together and they do not look like normal scarring or grafting. They were too perfect as lines could get.

Top Bottom