• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Legitimate question about the ending [Mild Spoilers?]

Triceranuke

Edit: Ok just beat the game and here are my thoughts. This wasn't random and nonsensical. It was a betrayal. By definition those come out of nowhere. If you expected it, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. I rather liked it.
I'm a little confused about the hair though.
I actually began to like it much more black as a counterpoint to Vergil's since we see he had white since birth, and yes I see the irony that now I'm mad about white hair, but whatever. Knew the white was coming. Especially after he DT's the first time. I'm just confused as to why it grew out of nowhere.

Ok, I'm going to preface this by saying I refuse to see the ending.
All I know is that you fight Vergil and he gets away, which. No ****.
And Dante has a really stupid 'inbetween hairstyles' look that I saw from the video without clicking.
I don't want to know anymore than that.

What I want to know is why people think this is a terrible ending especially in respects to this series as a whole? I'm not trying to troll, I'm legitimately curious.
The DLC is obviously gonna clear up the ending more.

1 ended in the most generic manner possible.
2 had a generic cliff hanger.
3 we already knew exactly what happened, and if the name 'Vergil's Downfall' gives any hints DmC is likely to go down the same way.
And finally 4 we had an unintelligible mess that left more questions than answers and not in the good way.

I read it was cliche and ****, but any ending is going to seem dumb and over the top if you don't experience the rest of the story first.

Ok, I've gone on a lot but I guess my question is 'Is it really that bad, or are haters just hating?'

majeh116

While you will get 50k different opinions the ending isn't as bad as it's made out to be HOWEVER it offer's no resolution, like absolutely zero, that's why people are ****ed off and assuming it's going to be concluded in the DLC which will **** more people off if it does.

Triceranuke

While you will get 50k different opinions the ending isn't as bad as it's made out to be HOWEVER it offer's no resolution, like absolutely zero, that's why people are ****ed off and assuming it's going to be concluded in the DLC which will **** more people off if it does.
Again, not having seen it, is there any chance that's not the actual ending? Like there's additional stuff after?

Either way seems like it's just sequel bait and I'm getting the DLC free from Gamestop.
Still, I'd understand people being ****ed if the DLC is the real ending and not just an alternate look on events.

majeh116

Again, not having seen it, is there any chance that's not the actual ending? Like there's additional stuff after?

Either way seems like it's just sequel bait and I'm getting the DLC free from Gamestop.
Still, I'd understand people being ****ed if the DLC is the real ending and not just an alternate look on events.
Unless there is a scene that you only get after beating the game on DMD or something yeah it's the real ending. The DLC takes place after the campaign so we have yet to see how that one concludes. Let's just say the ending of Dante's campaign is in a way more of a beginning.

DarkSlayer54

Unless there is a scene that you only get after beating the game on DMD or something yeah it's the real ending. The DLC takes place after the campaign so we have yet to see how that one concludes. Let's just say the ending of Dante's campaign is in a way more of a beginning.
It does. Right before the credits roll, Vergil says "Dante Must Die, after all" and Dante dies right then and there. Just as credits come to a close.... BAM, it has a flash forward 20 years, and Vergil is standing on a roof top, wearing a red trench coat and holding Rebellion over his shoulder. There's also the classic DMC text on the bottom right that says "Now it's my turn to shine!".... and, you unlock Vergil with a Dante costume.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
It does. Right before the credits roll, Vergil says "Dante Must Die, after all" and Dante dies right then and there. Just as credits come to a close.... BAM, it has a flash forward 20 years, and Vergil is standing on a roof top, wearing a red trench coat and holding Rebellion over his shoulder. There's also the classic DMC text on the bottom right that says "Now it's my turn to shine!".... and, you unlock Vergil with a Dante costume.

Don't lie to him/her!>_<

DragonMaster2010

Anyway.

For me, the ending was better then DMC3's ending, but for the most part, I can see why others are dissapointed.

Vergil came out of no where with this idea, and Dante and him fight.

I won't spoil what it is, but yeah...

And the ending won't impress you if you haven't played the whole game from beginning to end.

seraphmaycry

when i read this i panicked and started throwing stuff

majeh116

They are mad because there is no resolution. I will use DMC 3 as an example, Vergil defeated, Dante cries, and shop is opened. We have resolution due to the fact we see Dante opened his shop and is going to fight demons in the future. We have sequel hook because running a demon shop means more adventures (and the post credit Vergil scene helps to) This ending might as well just be Dante cries the end. We don't know what he does after, we don't know (yet) what Vergil goes off and does. There is no resolution to the events the game started. It's kinda like if the game randomly ended halfway through the story your just left going "...wait what?"

Triceranuke

No. They're "mad" cause the ending was apparently not meeting the DMC credential. Then again, I've noticed NT's writing always having great journeys but quick endings.
I can't stress enough how big of a fan I am of the original series. I've considered getting the Devil May Cry Logo tattooed, Trish silhouette and all on multiple occasions (Batman and Star Wars tattoos won out though)

But those games were just **** for story. They were fun, but the closest thing we had to a well written story was 3 in which we know how it all goes down regardless.
And even then, watch that cutscene again.
Dante: And right now my soul is saying TO DEFEAT YOU!
Vergil: Haha, I do not understand this 'twins' thing.

Vergil gets whooped: I'm going to sacrifice myself now and show terrible decision making skills in order to explain DMC 1 events.

crush

Tameem: Those who are faithfull enough to pre-order get the real ending for free! (trollface)
Well I posted in the other threads...but yeah this "ending" is not a ending.

DarkSlayer54

Well, it is.
Lots of movies have these kinds of endings... where it kind of has a twist, the hero wins... and credits roll without any real conclusion. I typically hate these kinds of movies... well, I love the movie until it ends, then the ending happens so suddenly that I'm just sitting there thinking "what the hell?". It usually ruins the whole movie for me...
Movies that make the main character die at the very end are typically 'bad movies' imo. They're always the same... character dies, the end. If I'm lucky, some of those movies have a bit of text to tell you what happens to other characters.

As far as DmC goes, well, it's no issue. Since I watched the ending first I already know what to expect... so the story can only improve my experience rather than ruin it. Plus, I generally don't care much for video game stories.

D-Sparda

Nothing is true, everything is permitted
Dante: And right now my soul is saying TO DEFEAT YOU!
Vergil: Haha, I do not understand this 'twins' thing.

Vergil gets whooped: I'm going to sacrifice myself now and show terrible decision making skills in order to explain DMC 1 events.
Your memory of the dialogue between the twins is quite lacking.

Dante: And now, my soul is saying it wants to stop you!
Vergil: *Laugh*. Unfortunately, our souls are at odds brother. I need more power.
Dante: And we're suppose to be twins?
Vergil: Twins? Right.

Vergil's decision: No one can have this Dante. It's mine. It belongs to a son of Sparda. Leave me and go. If you don't want to be trapped in the demon world. I'm staying. This place was our father's home.

DragonMaster2010

Your memory of the dialogue between the twins is quite lacking.

Dante: And now, my soul is saying it wants to stop you!
Vergil: *Laugh*. Unfortunately, our souls are at odds brother. I need more power.
Dante: We are suppose to be twins?
Vergil: Twins? Right.

Vergil's decision: No one can have this Dante. It's mine. It belongs to a son of Sparda. Leave me and go. If you don't want to be trapped in the demon world. I'm staying. This place was our father's home.

It seems your memory also is quite lacking.

Dante: AND we're suppose to be twins.:troll:

darkmanifest

Unleash the blood
It's not a bad ending, necessarily, it's just rushed and inconclusive, with some shallow dialogue choices, randomness on Vergil's part, and unexplained cruelty on Dante's part. It's one of those scenes that either should not have happened at all (as in, the game ends with Mundus's defeat and a brief wrap up "into the future" epilogue) or, if it had to happen, should have been much more extensive. It's this hugely important turning point for all the characters that was tacked on to the last ten minutes of the game like an afterthought. And even if Vergil's Downfall improves it, people are going to be very annoyed you have to preorder or pay extra for a finished plot. DLC is supposed to be unnecessary, but fun, bonus additions to a game, not critical to its story's completion.

Top Bottom