• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Let's Rank DMC games from Best to Worst

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
My list :-

#1 DMC 1- No matter what it still is the best Devil may cry game for me it has almost everything right the atmosphere,the music,the character designs,the story its just perfect its a blueprint of "How to make a great action/adventure game"

#2 DMC 3-Its gameplay is simply insane its one of the best and most fun hack'n'slash games ever made.but really falls short in almost every other aspect story,character designs and atmosphere so that's why even though it has the most innovative and the most refined combat it gets a #2

#3 DmC- IMHO it just deserves this spot it goes back to the drawing board and brings us something new shape shifting environments,slick new art style and much better story compared to "KYRIEEEEE" and the combat is also a nice mix of both nero&dante only thing i think DmC lacks is the over the top nature of older games.

#4 DMC 4- DMC 4 which was fun but undeniably a step leap in the wrong direction the horrible story,painfully cliched characters and an overall lack of any dark atmosphere just killed the fun for me and i don't find the bloody place as much as fun as DMC 3 either overall DMC 4 was just a giant letdown.

#5 DMC2- Well this one was obvious eh ? its considered as "most disappointing sequels ever made" i rest my case it can't hold a candle towards DMC 1.

Britt690

Gabriel Reyes needs to eat me.
I hope no one undermines another person's opinion on here, but I can only hope, right?

DMC 3-There was just so much to do here. The weapon varieties, the bosses, the enemies, playing with Vergil's distinct style, the difficulty (especially with the original version). This game is probably the best hack'n'slah game I've ever played.

DMC 4-My favorite of the series. Even though there was a lot of backtracking, less variety in enemies and weaponry and I didn't get a lot of time to play as Dante, it still kept me entertained...by playing on the harder levels. Nero was okay once I got past all his hormones.

DMC- I truly loved the Gothic style of this game. Even though it was a bit challenging it felt rewarding given the limited tool set I had. When you know what you're doing with it, you start really just getting into the game, especially with weapons like Ifrit and the grenade launcher. This game is really bada**...minus the first person swimming session.

DmC- My least favorite entry into the series; I wish the city actually attacked you instead of just demons randomly popping up, and...that's all she's writing.
Oh, and he was pretty awesome.
dreamrunner.jpg

DMC 2-What happened? Everything was all over the place and underdeveloped. The environments were really big, the boss fights weren't engaging, the weapons were bland, the characters were quiet. It was just...dull. Aside from enemies like Bolverk and that face-building boss, this game is a no-no.

Dusk Stalker

" Everybody gets a bullet!" -Axton
DMC - I loved it when I first came into the series 10 years ago. I loved the gothic tone and just the feeling I got fighting demons I felt badass but when against the bosses I felt helpless but hopeful and became the Face of Hack and slash. That game will never leave my memories:)

DMC 3- I love the gameplay, I love the fast pace of the combat and just the possibilities in it, just the variety and characters were enough to keep me entertained throughout my years in school.

DMC 4- Its fun and the gameplay is technical and their is variety in it with styles on the fly. While it was fun it was rushed and the backtracking got on my nerves immensely.

DMC 2- I know shocker...While the gameplay was horrendous and the accursed Second disc, and the bad VA, It brought some ideas to bring into DMC 3 (aerial rave, weapon changing) and some of the enemies looked cool (Bolverk and Despaired Embodied) and the bottom list of the things I liked of this game is the fact i like how Dante looks in this, didn't like his personality(Save for one line that was actually good).

DmC- I didn't feel anything from it, I didn't feel challenged and I didn't feel variety and I didn't feel accomplished on pulling combos or just taking the time learning despite the Training room nor did this game bring anything revolutionary(Just a copy paste of heavenly Sword).

And the characters were......bland.........just one dimensional and bland.I didn't feel any remorse or interest for Dante when he was having a threesome at the beginning of the game, and Vergil while his VA did show more emotion then Dante when he mo caped he still came off as a boring character......and Kat.......Im not gonna say anything about her....

The only redeemable character that was interesting was Phineas because I felt that he had a sense of vulnerability that he had emotion in his voice and actions. The story doesn't help because I felt it was full of plotholes.

The graphics and level design are decent but it got really.....really....really.....tiring and boring.

While it may have been a decent Hack n slash, as a DMC game, its horrible and just doesn't have the over top action DMC had.

SugarMoon

It's One on One.
1. DMC3- It was the first DMC I played and got me hooked onto the series. It'll always hold a special place...in my heart *shot for being cheesy* You know what I mean though.

2. DMC4- I liked the gameplay and overall I enjoyed Nero's segments a heck of a lot more then I thought I would. I prefered his over Dante's actually lol. I liked the level designs the most from this game too, especially the forest level.

3. DMC1 and DMC2- Can't get into them to save my life. I tried but I could never bring myself to do it. They're not bad (at least DMC1 isn't) but they don't catch my interest too much.

4.DmC- I know I"m going to sound shallow and I apologize but I don't like the overall style of the game. Level designs are awesome don't get me wrong, but character wise they look too strange for me. The script was...umm...err...not my liking either. Is it the worst game I played? Heck no not even close. It's just not my preference stye-wise.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
DMC3 - Overall package that i enjoyed the most. Cutscenes, story, challenge (i consider DMC3 the most challenging of them all), characters and obviously the gameplay too, but DMC4 wins in that aspect and in enemy design (DMC being the first in that department) in general.

DMC4 - Best and more diverse gameplay hands down, style switching is just love at first sight. Solid enemy and boss design aside from Sanctus, good challenge on DMD.

DMC - Best environment and atmosphere on the series, best enemy design, good gameplay, very challenging even if it requires a bit less proficiency in execution to master the gameplay.

DmC - Fun hack'n'slash to play and is at least on par with DMC3 when it comes to variety, morphing environments are cool and plataforming is not broken this time around.

DMC2 - This doesn't even deserve a description. But i have already seem people on TST make this game look stylish, still i don't like to play it at all.

BONUS (EDIT): Talking about music, DMC3 is my favourite overall, besides... my favourite trakcs are on DMC4 and DMC respectively:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5unQWuD32wY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ0xaPS1wLY
Can listen to these 2 pieces of music for hours and i never get tired of it.

I feel like this is going to be another thread of hating towards either DMC4 or DmC or DMC3 etc. without stating each other's dislikes with an argument.Just saying that 'it sucks or it's awful because I say so'.
Let's hope it won't be the case.
This being said this is what I think :

DMC3
DMC1
DmC or DMC4 though I'd say DmC was much better in terms of story.So DmC better.
DMC4
DMC2

DMC3.
I choose it because even if it's somehow a reboot of the original story,it's well-done to the point people wouldn't say it's a reboot until they know the original plot of DMC1.So it is a good change,and more interesting from my point of view,because I got to see a younger Dante/Vergil and their relationship,their fighting skills,motivations,goals,development and so on through an antithesis between good and evil between family blood links.
It still felt generic but it was alright.

Also,it had one of the best atmospheres for an action hack n slash game.It was dynamic,it was gothic inspired.It was connected to medieval literature and it felt more emotional compared with the rest.Amazing soundtracks and voice actors.
Now when it comes to gameplay,of course it holds the 'Best Gameplay' title in the franchise.I don't even need to explain why.I consider it the most hardest and diversified in the series.I loved the boos battles especially for the ones with Vergil.

DMC1.
The start of the franchise which I consider it's the most balanced one and true to its original idea of course.It felt like a more mature and dark version of DMC3 without any exagerrations and with a more wiser and balanced(personality wise) main character.Dante was joking around but he was serious when the situation called.

The atmosphere was darker with connections to RE which I found great.Great music and ambient one too.
(I'm not going to put so much price on its story ideas since I know DMCs are not the best ones out here).
In terms of gameplay still amazing and it maintains the hard difficulty.Oh,and the bosses are great and..well,hard to beat.

DmC
Ok,I'll admit at first I didn't give it a chance when I saw the 2010 trailer.I was like "What the hell is this?And why does it have the name DMC on it?" I was disappointed and somehow angry on what was happening because yes,I was expecting a reboot,but not one like this,something different but not this way.
I was relieved when the 2013 version got much better especially for the main character from what I saw in that trailer,because at first it wasn't something... IMPPRESIVE for me.It was simply : 'Meh,this is what they call 'badass'? So yes,I'm thankful it changed its direction towards a more bearable and close to the reality side.

I liked the concept of population being controlled because it's something true,even if this idea was used countless times it was alright.It held a conspirational feeling so I liked it.And a more urban one too,a more tough one.

Just like DMC3,this Dante also was the typical annoying douchebag from the hood but we can see how this changes at the end of the game.As for Vergil I like the one in Downfall more,since I was used with a sadistic and cold ass**** Vergil,the difference is that this one seems more talkative and wickedly evil while Vergil in DMC was quieter and a victim of its own guilt.
I didn't particularly like the music in the game but I liked Combichrist.
As for gameplay...I'd state that I don't really like it,it feels too easy and dull.

DMC4
Hm..I don't really know if this is really bad or somewhere between good and bad.I choose the second option because it has some good stuff.
Story.I really didn't feel anything towards it.I don't hate Nero but I felt he could have been a more complex character since he was the younger character in DMC4,so many possibilities for him.I think DMC4 showed the romantic side in DMC? Just kidding.But I don't blame it,because it wasn't the main focus in the game.Dante was so funny and dramatic,but he's Dante..at a stage in his life when he's more powerful and isn't afraid of losing. I would have liked him to maintain his DMC1 personality since DMC4 is after DMC1 so it would have been logical to follow the original character.I didn't like Trish and Lady in DMC4 sorry.
Music resembled the one in DMC3 but it was more electronic influenced.The atmosphere was for an action game.
Gameplay was just as great I guess.

DMC2.
I don't know so much about this game since I haven't played it.I heard it's bad,and from what I saw ,the walkthroughs on the Internet it seems too boring and dull for a DMC game in which action is predominant.

(Oh my habit of talking too much)

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
1. DMC2

2. DMC4

3. DMC3

4. DMC4: The iPhone game

5. DMC1

6. DMC3: The Cell Phone Game

7. DmC

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
5.) DMC2
This game was...just atrocious. It had the blandest of character, the story was forgettable, gameplay was slow, and Dante was way to serious. Lucia wasn't anything special, Arius was more annoying than intimidating, and it just felt so shallow. I give it props for its use of Dante's attire, the environment looking gothic, the design of the enemies, and the moves hat would be in DMC3, but other then that, DMC2 was the worst. A better sentence is this used in DMC stupid files "Oh boy, let me tell you about this one, I HATE this game. It makes me want to kill myself. Did you get that? Well let me sum it up, it stinks! It's a bunch of putrid anal sh*t coming out of a rhinoceros asshole! This game is a cruel joke you can play on your best friend! Like here wanna game/ Here you go! Ya f*ckers (Capcom)! This game is diarrhea coming out of my d*ck! like puke up a
5 MINUTES LATER
I think that sums it up.

4.) DMC4

This game got second to last only for its combat in gameplay and at least two of the songs. Everything was a let down for me. The environment was great...the first time through. Backtracking didn't help none. The areas can get rather confusing at times which really slowed down the game for me, the characters were WAY to campy anime cliched, Nero was a nob who tried to be a tough guy but came out as a wanna be, and Dante was just a joke, not even cool anymore. Oh, and the large quantity of "sex sells" in the game is almost phenomenal. Way to treat fans with some maturity Capcom. Oh, and then there was the idea of this game being for a female audience and losing all that DMC was cool for in the past games. Not saying appealing to females was bad, but the past games did a good job of that anyway. All in all, this was disappointing, but not as bad as 2...only 50 to 60%.

3.)DMC3

This game is on number three. It's not bad, but for me, it's meh. This was the first DMC game I'd ever played and the memories were really good, however, looking back at it now, there's a few flaws in it. The characters were one dimensional for the most part with Vergil just wanting power, and Dante just wanting to party for the beginning, then getting a bit more serious... but still a goof. The voice acting was pretty corny for Dante, and Vergil sound like he had nasal congestion, but at least the lines weren't as bad as DMC1 was. The story was a bit of a hit and miss for me. I liked the set up of it, but it was...okay in the end. The action was all over the place was very engaging to do all the moves. The style of the environment took a down turn in my opinion from being all Gothic, to just another anime styled world. Its gameplay was one of the coolest things about DMC3 and to this day it reigns champ...but again, there are a few things that holds the game back for me, and makes me place it as numero tres.

2.) DMC1

Oh yeah. This game was definitely a good one and second best on my list. This game had a more maturing and stylish Dante that was more like Blade. The gameplay can be a bit dated, but still holds up exceptionally well for its time. The characters are just so full of cliches, but these cliches were actually done right. Every enemy you fight was a great ride to experience and just the all around feel was creppy and gothic. However despite all this, the lines were very cliched and over the top and their voices certainly filled that campiness to match. The story was a simple one with predictable plot twist (except with Nelo Angelo). But all in all, DMC1 was definitely a gem to behold, which is why its got my list of number 2. Despite its flaws, DMC1 was pretty damn fun to play and was really kicking my ass, which made beating it so much so enjoyable.

1.) DmC

Okay, now I know how much controversy this game has and how much hate it...but I don't give a f*ck. This is the best DMC in my opinion for a few reasons. First off, the characters seem more fleshed out to reflect actual people, and gives the situations they're in a lot more substance to worry for them. Dante was the punk kid who had the destiny to possibly be the savior of the world and carve a legend for himself. Vergil was more manipulative and the leader who is questionable with his methods which made him a character to keep an eye on. Kat was a character with issues but slowly comes to trust Dante and open up more. The gameplay, unfortunately, isn't like the past games. However, its gameplay is a lot more unique compared to the others with aerial combat being tuned and the attacks being more cinematic to the viewing eye with great style and grace beyond the past games. The story has its downs, but I consider it its winning trait. It's engaging, full of done right angst, and has that sin city edginess meets the punk revolution. I just found this game a lot more enjoyable despite all the doubt I had with it when the first trailer came out. The flaws about it is that its a bit too easy, the style rank is lenient, and the focus on transveral and environment was payed more attention to. And then there was the world; it was absolutely surreal and amazing to watch so many times. It was filled with some much color and style that past DMC games have lacked greatly. The world transforming into an enemy along with the demons, the bosses themselves having very great visual appearance, and the all around feel of the game had that good ol' Ninja Theory feeling to it. Despite all its gone through and all its suffered with, DmC has definitely changed my opinion on a lot of things (edginess, style, never judge a book by its cover). Its doubtful a sequel will come, but I will say even if there isn't, this will always be the best Devil May Cry in my eyes.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Well i just saw him as a rebel without a cause.. he just got suckered into the situation.. its not like he was destined for anything like DMC 1 dante.

Vergil to Dante;
"The only beings that can slay a demon king, are Nephilim; a hybrid of Angel and Demon...Those hybrids now exist--you and I."

Top Bottom