• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Matter of design

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Throughout the series, which demon design you liked the most?
To me, it was DMC4's demonized Order members. Agnus and Credo I mean. I loved that ambiguity those designs showed, in a sense. They are demons, but disguised as angels... they even seem to have halos, while in reality they are horns, I love that concept there.

Axon49

Frequency 141.80
Throughout the series, which demon design you liked the most?
To me, it was DMC4's demonized Order members. Agnus and Credo I mean. I loved that ambiguity those designs showed, in a sense. They are demons, but disguised as angels... they even seem to have halos, while in reality they are horns, I love that concept there.

I just beat DMC4 again day before yesterday and I've always loved that. Really cool concept.

DMC4 all around just had awesome enemy design, and did so many cool things with the enemies themselves.

Like the enemy intros, where enemies would be seen fighting each other or working together. I think when you first meet an Alto Angelo, some Bianco Angelos are having trouble with some Blades/Assaults and he just comes along and destroys them. Really gives you a sense of "whoa, this is a step up in competition."

And then enemies getting "infected" or whatever by Chimera Seeds was pretty neat.

I think DMC4 was the first time enemies actively interacted with each other unless you count Agni and Rudra. It's one of many things I really loved about it and I hope DMC5 *fingers crossed* really expands on that idea. Maybe even with bosses working together?

Even if it's something like a boss made of possessed armor appearing early in the game, then reappearing to form around another boss partway through a battle and toughen him up or something. That could be awesome.

That could actually be the basis for a great boss battle towards the end of the game where, instead of fighting some/all of the bosses over again like what's typical in DMC, they combine to form one super boss that you have to take down. Sort of like Argosax the Chaos, but a single, active being instead of a stationary mess of demon parts that work independently.

Anyway I really can't pick a favorite but the Blitzes, Angelos, and Berial are up there.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
Guess I'd go with a few out of DMC4's library, Blitz and Faust were quite awesome.
In DMC3 I guess mostly bosses like Cerberus, Beowulf and Geryon.
DMC2, the fodder skeletons were nice.
DMC1 I'd go with either Shadows or Nobodys.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Actually I also liked the general demons in DmC, with those black stains coming out of their eyes. Kinda creepy.

berto

I Saw the Devil
For the whole series? Some here and there.

DMC1-
Phantom, Griffon, and Nightmare. These bosses made an impact and by god did they make an entrance. Their scale wasn't the only thing, it was their impressive stature (yes, that is not the same as scale) and imposing presence.
Deaths and Sins, Shadow, and Nobodies. Pretty much anything that laughed really added to the personality of the game and the opponents and gave the demons a twisted psychology as well as some fairly hellish imagery.

DMC2-
Despair Embodied. There used to be this guy around here called moseslmpg with whom I argued a lot back at IGN. He released his research on the achemiec ritual that took place in DMC2 and the hermaphrodite creature it revolved around which had an angelic appearance. That was the Despair Embodied, and if the thing wasn't cool looking enough it came with this gnarly backstory.

DMC3-
Cerberus and Vergil. Really the only ones I found that interesting. Everything else ranges from good enough to unimpressive.

DMC4-
Berial. All the other bosses are down right stupid looking. A plant snake and a frozen frog... I'm not saying that those concepts wouldn't work, I'm just saying that here they were crap.

DmC-
Drekavac, Stygian Elite, and Wisps. Bosses are not interesting looking to me and the general enemies are not that fascinating. The Drekavac is, on the other hand, a more imposing figure that actually looks of personality. The Stygian are lame and don't feel threatening but the Elite have a more menacing look. It's the teeth. The Wisp, now there is something that looks like it came from nightmares. Generic as it looks, like your standard scarecrow/crow motif, it still has enough freight to stand on it's own as a creature of dark origins. I almost added the Imprisoner but honestly I think it looks more sci fi than horror.

Honestly, there are few creatures in DMC that I find that compelling. There are very few that scream 'demon' as opposed to Grim Reaper (not a demon) or evil anima/object/creature (Not demons ether). There are just few instances where if I wasn't familiar with the games I would go 'yeah, that thing looks like it came from hell' which is something I think every time I play Silent Hill and look at their creature designs.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
Blitz DMC4 i thought.they were badass
total badass, but holy **** I hated fighting them. Even after I learned the royal guard trick it was still a massive pain.

Agni and Rudra are pretty cool too, especially if you only kill one of them and he combines with the other

Blue_Rose

One way to get yourself shot
Bloody Mari, Death and Sins, Shadow, Nightmare, Mundus' true form, Despair Embodied, Finis Demons, Chessmen, Angelo Agnus and Credo, Drekavacs, Wisps, and Imprisoners.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Nobodies and the shadows. Nobodies are genuinely gross and creepy, worthy of "demonic", esp. with that reverse laugh.

Beowulf, a design obv. based on Pazuzu, so cool I made a sculpt of him at one point.

Griffon. I just like the design.

Like the direction they went with Mundus in DMC1. Showing the vanity of the character by giving him a literal angelic/god facade that falls off to reveal this grasping blob of crud. Awesome. Much better than any of the other end bosses of the series bar Vergil.

Vergil in DMC3.

DMC1 probably had the best designs imo, they were going for creepy/atmos and it shows even with the Marionettes that make zombie noises and stumble around (betraying the game's initial development I guess). But even the sins are unsettling, as are a bunch of other regular enemies, either because they do represent more of a threat in that game than others when you start out with that pitiful lifebar or because they have a bit more of a repertoire than say the grunts of DMC3 or 2.

Top Bottom