• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Nero's origins - What do you think?

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Actually, I do, how do I share said images? It does not btw, it merely lists conclusions fans have come to, and specifies that at that time there are no concrete answers.
*So... Capcom doesn't know if Nero is Vergil's son either, basically? Wow. It's sounding more and more like Capcom really didn't care about Devil May Cry's story, or even DMC in general. According to Capcom, Dante is ''not interested in learning Nero's background''. I guess Capcom has the same philosophy.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
*So... Capcom doesn't know if Nero is Vergil's son either, basically? Wow. It's sounding more and more like Capcom really didn't care about Devil May Cry's story, or even DMC in general. According to Capcom, Dante is ''not interested in learning Nero's background''. I guess Capcom has the same philosophy.
I think Capcom not interested in games in general anymore

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Well my theory looks at Vergil's ability to teleport and thus in a way partially manipulate time and space.

Vergil states he wants more power. He musters the ability to control dark magic from an early age. In doing so he builds upon his strength to bend time and space, much like Mundus' power. Vergil does impregnate a woman when he is technically '13', although really he is 16 and tkis happens not long before DMC 3. However, using so much dark energy to make himself transverse back in time ends up making him weak. So my theory is Vergil + Dark Magic + Time and space Manipulation = Nero's birth

I would also say that Vergil almost dies as a result of this. A very far fetched idea, but l like it more than just 'Nero IS Vergil's son!!!' - No explanation.
There's been no indication Vergil has any mastery over 'dark magic', though. No indication he can bend time and space either. He can 'cut through dimensions' with the Yamato (whatever that means), but that's said to be an innate power of the sword itself.
I think the only time it is mentioned is in DMC3, where it's called the 'black arts'. Don't know if it had anything to do with magic. Vergil needed Arkham because he studied the dark arts, while he himself knew nothing about it.
So... sorry, but it sounds like fan fiction not related to the games in any way.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
''Again, just imo Vergil copulating with a human as a teenager is more believable than Sparda having a child with someone after Eva, OR having an unspoken sibling for that matter.''

But nobody said he had a child with somebody after Eva. Where are you getting this from?
Even if he did have a child with somebody other than Eva before he died, that would be very strange, and an assholish move towards Eva, since she was still alive and had just birthed Dante and Vergil. It would also mean Nero can't be only 19 while Dante is in his 30s in DMC 4.

I didn't say he had an unknown sibling either. That said, can you really completely discount the idea? Isn't it somehow possible that Sparda's brother/sister had a son (Nero) with a human too? Of course, one big problem with this theory is that Nero is far weaker than Dante, and he doesn't get his own Devil Trigger, which to me indicates he is not a half-demon, but maybe a quarter demon.

If he is indeed 1/4 demon, then he is either Vergil's son or the son of Sparda's sibling's half-demon child. Sure, Sparda's relationship with Eva was legendary, and his children too, but that was only because they were well-known. Sparda was the demonic ruler of the humans. Nobody would care much about his brother/sister, especially if they kept their child secret.
That said, if he is an experiment, he could be anything. I'm sure that in the DMC world, anything is possible - it all depends on DMC's writers. He could even be 1/8 demon if the writers wanted him to be.

In any case, I can't believe a 30th anniversary character encyclopedia if all it says is that ''fans/people think Nero is Vergil's son''. I mean, duh. We need confirmation, not a recap of people's assumptions.

Last edited:

Blue_Rose

One way to get yourself shot
''Again, just imo Vergil copulating with a human as a teenager is more believable than Sparda having a child with someone after Eva, OR having an unspoken sibling for that matter.''

But nobody said he had a child with somebody after Eva. Where are you getting this from?
Even if he did have a child with somebody other than Eva before he died, that would be very strange, and an assholish move towards Eva, since she was still alive and had just birthed Dante and Vergil. It would also mean Nero can't be only 19 while Dante is in his 30s in DMC 4.

I didn't say he had an unknown sibling either. That said, can you really completely discount the idea? Isn't it somehow possible that Sparda's brother/sister had a son (Nero) with a human too? Of course, one big problem with this theory is that Nero is far weaker than Dante, and he doesn't get his own Devil Trigger, which to me indicates he is not a half-demon, but maybe a quarter demon.

If he is indeed 1/4 demon, then he is either Vergil's son or the son of Sparda's sibling's human child. That said, if he is an experiment, he could be anything. I'm sure that in the DMC world, anything is possible - it all depends on DMC's writers. He could even be 1/8 demon if the writers wanted him to be.

In any case, I can't believe a 30th anniversary character encyclopedia if all it says is that ''fans/people think Nero is Vergil's son''. I mean, duh. We need confirmation, not a recap of people's assumptions.
The Sparda having an illegitimate child theory is a few pages back. I'm sure it would've been found out about and Nero was found on a doorstep wrapped in a black blanket so it's wrong. Sparda's not the type to go juggling chicks.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
The Sparda having an illegitimate child theory is a few pages back. I'm sure it would've been found out about and Nero was found on a doorstep wrapped in a black blanket so it's wrong. Sparda's not the type to go juggling chicks.
Yeah, Sparda doesn't seem like the unfaithful type, if he really loved Eva so much that he would sacrifice his demon side. Nero was found on the doorstep of the Fortuna orphanage, yeah.

TonyRedgraveDMC

If he is indeed 1/4 demon, then he is either Vergil's son or the son of Sparda's sibling's half-demon child. Sure, Sparda's relationship with Eva was legendary, and his children too, but that was only because they were well-known. Sparda was the demonic ruler of the humans. Nobody would care much about his brother/sister, especially if they kept their child secret.
That said, if he is an experiment, he could be anything. I'm sure that in the DMC world, anything is possible - it all depends on DMC's writers. He could even be 1/8 demon if the writers wanted him to be.

Throughout this current conversation, I have been referring to other contrived theories for Nero's origin or relation to Sparda that may or may NOT have been explicitly used in this thread, I am merely alluding to other very common theories. I can still show the pics of Nero's encyclopedia page if anyone wanted.

Blue_Rose

One way to get yourself shot
Yeah, Sparda doesn't seem like the unfaithful type, if he really loved Eva so much that he would sacrifice his demon side. Nero was found on the doorstep of the Fortuna orphanage, yeah.
Found on the orphanage doorstep. In a black cloak. Black. Nero. Nero Angelo. Vergil. Get it?:cool:

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Throughout this current conversation, I have been referring to other contrived theories for Nero's origin or relation to Sparda that may or may NOT have been explicitly used in this thread, I am merely alluding to other very common theories. I can still show the pics of Nero's encyclopedia page if anyone wanted.
Yeah, but see, I was under the impression we were having a conversation a short while back... so I expected you to respond to my theories. It doesn't make sense to respond to my comment, but then quote other people's theories instead of mine. Though I appreciate that you can show some of them to probably be false. But yeah, a picture of confirmation that Nero is Vergil's son would be helpful. The only online reference I can find is one that leads to this forum, and all the pictures were removed from there.

Last edited:

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Found on the orphanage doorstep. In a black cloak. Black. Nero. Nero Angelo. Vergil. Get it?:cool:
Yeah, well... according to Bingo himself, it was just a name that came to him. Nero was a Roman emperor who hunted down all the Christians, which is (sort of) an allusion to what is happening in DMC4. Nero is hunting the evil christians. They even have a pope (Sanctus), who was called Benedict at first.
But yeah, the name Nero makes everything all the more confusing. Some people think he's the reincarnation of Vergil (Nero Angelo), which doesn't make any sense since Vergil/Nero Angelo died when he was 28.

TonyRedgraveDMC

I try to actually clarify as much as I can if I'm going to argue with a legitimate fan theory. It just appears that of all the theories, being Vergil's unlikely son is still closest to Capcom's intentions for Nero's origins, as there ARE subtle clues in Devil May Cry 4 that Nero *could* be Vergil's son, and very few of any others. Also, even I failed to add that Nero's "power!" line was FIRST said BEFORE he obtains the Yamato. For the "Sparda's great-nephew" theory, it really does bust up the entire symbolism; What color is Sparda's sibling? Purple too? How do I post an image here?

TonyRedgraveDMC

You can't.
So how would I go about showing the pages of the encyclopedia from images I have on my phone? Anyway, yeah, while reincarnation is A-okay, there still needs to be a valid reason he belongs to Sparda's bloodline beneath all the reincarnation stuff.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
I just found it very weird that you would reply to my comments by quoting me, only to proceed to reference other people's theories instead of mine. If you have good logical reasons to believe my theory cannot be true, then please provide proof by responding to those theories. Otherwise, I will not just blindly accept that Nero is Vergil's son. Nor will I blindly accept other theories, mind you: the point is to speculate about it.

The novel does not say he is his son, Sanctus only thinks that he could be, but he doesn't have a great reason to think that. Nero does get an image of Vergil inside his head just before he gets his Devil Trigger, and Vergil asks him what he wants. Nero reflects the question back, and Vergil replies he wants power. Nero then says ''I'll take that too, then''. That doesn't imply Vergil is his father, it only implies that the Yamato might allow Nero to see a vision of him. Vergil wanted power, and that worked for Nero too. That's it. As for his arm, all we know is that it ''drives him crazy'' (DMC 4 Nero's words), which would be logical since it's a physical manifestation of his demonic power. Since we know so little about his arm, it's irrelevant to this debate.
I will not accept artbooks as proof, since you can scribble anything, and also draw anything without it being canon. The finished product (the game or novel) could turn out completely different. And it did: DMC 4 did not say anything about Nero being Vergil's son, nor did it specifically imply that.

Seriously, the theory that he is an experiment holds as much merit as anything else. So does the reincarnation theory. It's not ridiculous if it's based on cogent arguments. There are a lot of things that imply Nero has more of a connection to Sparda than to Vergil. Those things are in DMC4 itself. You can choose to ignore them, but I really doubt Capcom would be so weird that they actually decided to have Berial reference Nero being exactly like Sparda, only to later say ''naaah he's actually Vergil's son''. Capcom's stupid, but probably not that stupid.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
There's been no indication Vergil has any mastery over 'dark magic', though. No indication he can bend time and space either. He can 'cut through dimensions' with the Yamato (whatever that means), but that's said to be an innate power of the sword itself.
I think the only time it is mentioned is in DMC3, where it's called the 'black arts'. Don't know if it had anything to do with magic. Vergil needed Arkham because he studied the dark arts, while he himself knew nothing about it.
So... sorry, but it sounds like fan fiction not related to the games in any way.

Yet there has really been no indication of a structured story in any way, with lots of things unexplained. My theory is on the understanding that having the ability to 'teleport', or apparently disappear and reappear somewhere else extremely fast would suggest the manipulation of time and space. Being able to teleport himself like that and along with Vergil's dark traits would suggest some form of dark magic.

Ideas is all we got bro.

TonyRedgraveDMC

They can totally do that, since a lot of people like to argue that Dante *changed his mind* when giving Nero the Yamato after refusing to due it being his brother's and it should stay with family, instead of actively reconsidering due to Nero being a nephew. While only the term "family" is used, just like the "you are just like him" bit with Berial, how on EARTH could Capcom give him YAMATO of all devil arms and Dante bring up Vergil, Yamato, and family in the same sentence then give Nero the sword later on and Nero NOT be Vergil's son? It really works both ways. The way I see it, Nero is Vergil's son, but Capcom did agree it best that Nero take more after his grandfather than his father, thus all the comparisons between them in addition to the red + blue thing.

TonyRedgraveDMC

Not to mention there was no 100% definite clarification that Berial was for sure referring to Sparda when he directly compares the two. Also, most of all, Nero's age is always a guess. If Nero was 16 (I don't think anything below 16 is really that believable) and DMC4 was closer to 12 years after DMC3, Vergil would have been 15, definitely extremely plausible. As 12 (or even 11) just because it was confirmed that 10 years passed between DMC3 & DMC4 doesn't mean it was confirmed that one or two years did not pass after the fact. Lastly, I'm being perfectly serious here, given all of the symbolism and comparisons and related quotes, it's not completely impossible GOD made Nero 100% the way he is.

Zero

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I don't feel like debating about this topic again, so I'll just say this.

As of right now, I believe Vergil is Nero's father. Capcom tried to be sly and mysterious about it, but that was most of the evidence points to.

However, like most of you still in denial about it, I'm not a fan of the idea of Vergil reproducing. I just accept it. I do hope Nero's origin is changed into something more interesting and more consistent with Vergil's age.

I feel the same way about RE6's Jake. Seriously, Capcom, stop making your coolest villains reproduce. =/

berto

I Saw the Devil
However, like most of you still in denial about it, I'm not a fan of the idea of Vergil reproducing. I just accept it. I do hope Nero's origin is changed into something more interesting and more consistent with Vergil's age.
I don't think the idea of Vergil having sex is farfetched I just don't think it's Vergil's kid.

Also, I think people here either watch too much anime or something because in what world are people having sex a farfetched concept. It's part of like, like crapping and eating, but in this thread people treat it like a rarity and something that just doesn't appeal to people off a certain kind. Reproduction is as much a part of the life instinct as survival is. I am honestly surprised at how people here react to it with things like 'he's not the type.' Sorry to break it to you all but everyone is the type. Sex goes right up there with eating and shelter in the basicness of human needs. He maybe stoic, vicious, and very samurai like but even samrai had wives and children.

Top Bottom