• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

New Dante: How is he an A-hole?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I recently was replying to someone about how sales might be for DmC, and he pointed out that some of his friends thought new Dante was an asshole.

That made me think now; how is new Dante any more of an asshole then DMC3 Dante was?

It seems when people compare new Dante to old Dante, they don't see that DMC3 Dante was just as big of an ass as new Dante. The only difference was that both used different ways of being assholes.

DMC3 Dante was anime stereotypical asshole.

New Dante is cinema stereotypical asshole.

The only difference is what they say actually.

So personally I really don't see how this Dante is called an asshole and the biggest asshole compared to the old Dante, when DMC3 Dante was almost exactly the same but just used different words.

JoshMoshes

DMC Aficionado
I believe people are upset because he punched the bouncer in the face and wrote "F*** You" on the clipboard. A youtuber whose name I'll keep anonymous help make that a famous argument along with him being unlikable (using subjective points) Just blame people for nit picking.

Personally, I like the new Dante's attitude.:troll:

EllDawn

I think that, for the most part, it boils down to people seeing this Dante as a replacement and them messing with something they love. He really isn't that bad, or worse than the original.

Meg

Well from the perspective of someone who doesn't like New Dante, I'll say this; Old Dante was an ass, but a hilarious ass. In DMC3 & 4 he was a total goofball that didn't take anything seriously (for the most part: he had his moments), including himself. I really liked this campy approach. Old Dante was fun to watch because of the ridiculous stuff he came up with and did.

New Dante, on the other hand, doesn't really do or say anything that I find funny or entertaining. He acts like a straight up asshole instead of a ridiculous/campy one. He also seems to take himself seriously. At the very least, the game is portraying him seriously instead of campy. It doesn't work for me. That's one of the reasons I personally don't like him.

ZeroLove

Yeah, that's the difference. The old Dante was campy and ridiculous. The new Dante is more true and realistic. Some people just prefer the one over the other, but in the end, they are both assholes.

Meg

Yeah, that's the difference. The old Dante was campy and ridiculous. The new Dante is more true and realistic. Some people just prefer the one over the other, but in the end, they are both assholes.
I don't think New Dante is realistic at all. Old Dante is a straight up caricature. Well at least in DMC3 & 4. You can argue he is his most realistic in the first game. But that's besides the point. *ahem*

New Dante is incredibly unrealistic. He comes of more as this contrived sense of what ignorant people find cool. Getting smashed and bringing home women every night, throwing "f-yous" everywhere, living in a trailer and generally just not giving a crap despite only being like, what, 17? Yeah. Yeah, that's realistic. New Dante honestly comes off as this kind of idealized version of what an idiot would consider a cool lifestyle. Idealized is not realistic.

sannyclaus

HO HO HO that type of talk is probably coming from brain dead idiots who cant let go of the past, this dante's just like old dante, cocky, arrogant funny and also.......STYLISH :D

ZeroLove

I don't think New Dante is realistic at all. Old Dante is a straight up caricature. Well at least in DMC3 & 4. You can argue he is his most realistic in the first game. But that's besides the point. *ahem*

New Dante is incredibly unrealistic. He comes of more as this contrived sense of what ignorant people find cool. Getting smashed and bringing home women every night, throwing "f-yous" everywhere, living in a trailer and generally just not giving a crap despite only being like, what, 17? Yeah. Yeah, that's realistic. New Dante honestly comes off as this kind of idealized version of what an idiot would consider a cool lifestyle. Idealized is not realistic.

People are exactly like that in the real world. We don't live in a happy fun-loving world where cool guys ride missiles or throw one-liners at baddies before thrashing them. The new Dante is hurting inside, had a miserable childhood so he is f*cked up as a young adult who throws his life away... not to mention he's been shown in the media as a terrorist (run by demons who wants to kill him, I might add). He is angry! He is violent! He yells at the world! That's realistic for someone who has his background. Wether or not you find it so.

That there are people who find that cool is up to them.

Meg

HO HO HO that type of talk is probably coming from brain dead idiots who cant let go of the past, this dante's just like old dante, cocky, arrogant funny and also.......STYLISH :D
Or it could be coming from people who dare to go against popular opinion and actually think differently from other people. Just because someones sees something differently for you or someone else doesn't mean they are a "brain dead idiot who can't let go of the past." I mean really, Santa. I'd think you'd no better than to resort to insults like that. Tsk tsk.

Ah well, I don't believe in Santa, so really I'm the fool for trying to justify this radical thing called "different perspectives and opinions" to a person who doesn't exist.

EDIT:

People are exactly like that in the real world. We don't live in a happy fun-loving world where cool guys ride missiles or throw one-liners at baddies before thrashing them. The new Dante is hurting inside, had a miserable childhood so he is f*cked up as a young adult who throws his life away... not to mention he's been shown in the media as a terrorist (run by demons who wants to kill him, I might add). He is angry! He is violent! He yells at the world! That's realistic for someone who has his background. Wether or not you find it so.
That there are people who find that cool is up to them.

Would you mind naming examples of people who act like that please? I'm having a hard time thinking of one.

I could understand if NT went the way I thought they were going to go and make Dante a more quiet, mentally unstable, battling inner demons (;)), smoker kinda guy. Where's THAT Dante? I would be more intrigued if they portrayed him like that (like how they did in the initial announcement trailer) than this weird combo of that and Old Dante. It all comes off as contrived to me and poor character creation and development.

And no duh it's up to each person what they find cool. People have the right to find whatever they want cool just as I have the right to think something is uncool.

berto

I Saw the Devil
The only time I've seen him been a d!ck was on that scene where he slaped that can off that dude's hand. And yeah, he was a d!ck about, don't even try to tell me that he did it for his benefit because if was he wouldn't have gone about it like that. If you're walking around drinking your (insert drink here) and someone slaps it from your hand and say 'sh!t'll kill ya' you're not going to defend the twat saying 'awww, he was just looking out for my best interest. Thank you kind stranger for trying to save my live in the nicest possible way.' Yeah, riiiiightttt. I'd turn to the a'hole and say 'hey, a$$hole! What tha f#%!'s wrong with you?'

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"

I liked this post until i re-read this twice.....

KenKen

Gorram Browncoat
I think he's cool in a sense. He's definitely a jerk. Dante was pretty much always a jerk, that's his most endearing feature.

But DINO's also a selfish kid who only knows that he can't die and that he hates demons.

That's the reason this is a character piece. His character will develop. He's not supposed to be instantly in the same way DMC 3 or DMC 4 Dante was. Anyone who compares him to them is just lying to themselves.

ZeroLove

Would you mind naming examples of people who act like that please? I'm having a hard time thinking of one.

Every angry kid who is out there! It's why there are punkers, it's why there are anarchists, it is why there are artists who sing songs, make poetry, do graffiti or otherwise express their anger through art, protests, violence, fashion etc. And of course then there are those who just drink, gamble, abuse drugs or f*ck the misery out of their lives.

I live it. To deny the existence of it is ignorance.

Meg

Every angry kid who is out there! It's why there are punkers, it's why there are anarchists, it is why there are artists who sing songs, make poetry, do graffiti or otherwise express their anger through art, protests, violence, fashion etc. And of course then there are those who just drink, gamble, abuse drugs or f*ck the misery out of their lives.

I live it. To deny the existence of it is ignorance.
Uh huh. I know all that and even know several people who fit the bill. But what I'm saying is that New Dante is an idealized or exaggerated version of those kinds of people. Not to mention he's more all those people rolled into one. It's still contrived.

And I'll just have to take your word for it. I don't know you, but if you say that you act like New Dante then sure. Whatever.

berto

I Saw the Devil
People are exactly like that in the real world.

Dude, who are you hangging out with? I've known alot of people in my time, poor, rich, happy, sad, hurting, angry, loving, passive agressive, hypocritical, intelligent, stupid. Trust me when I say that no Dante in any DMC game, be it this one or another, are in any way shape or form a realistic human beeing. They are all dramatisations, and hardly quilifing of the word 'realistic.'

ZeroLove

Uh huh. I know all that and even know several people who fit the bill. But what I'm saying is that New Dante is an idealized or exaggerated version of those kinds of people. Not to mention he's more all those people rolled into one. It's still contrived.

And I'll just have to take your word for it. I don't know you, but if you say that you act like New Dante then sure. Whatever.

It's as idealized as everything is in games, movies and other fictional media.
And no, you don't know me.

Dude, who are you hangging out with? I've known alot of people in my time, poor, rich, happy, sad, hurting, angry, loving, passive agressive, hypocritical, intelligent, stupid. Trust me when I say that no Dante in any DMC game, be it this one or another, are in any way shape or form a realistic human beeing. They are all dramatisations, and hardly quilifing of the word 'realistic.'
Well, cut out the swordfighting and the demonhunting (and all the other supernatural elements), it's been pretty much my life. But people are assholes, they yell f*ck at eachother and many other nasty curses, they jump at eachother and fight for the littlest of reasons, there are even people who shoot one another and kill eachother just because of disagreements.
Living in a world like that f*cks you up in the head. And people like that exists. People are assholes.

Meg

It's as idealized as everything is in games, movies and other fictional media.
Not necessarily. You can have truly realistic characters that could very well exist in real life. Or at least in the world they live in. It's hard to do, and most people opt to just make everything idealized. At least in action titles anyway. However, characters in Grapes of Wrath, A Song of Ice and Fire series, and Of Mice and Men, are all carefully and beautifully constructed characters. Granted, those are books and not games. For a game example, just look at Spec-Ops: The Line. Or even Assassin's Creed. Ezio is a well developed character.

Trying to justify a character being unrealistic by saying other characters are is a weak argument all together.
And no, you don't know me.
Thank you for clarifying something I had already stated knowing and therefore needed no repeating.

Top Bottom