• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Playing Witcher III Makes Me Desire An Open-World DMC

Goldsickle

I'd like to see an actual open-world Devil May Cry game where you can do several side quests and explore around.

The combat in Witcher III leaves a lot to be desired.
For one thing, I don't like the Assassin's Creed style combat where your character walks around slowly for no reason.

Moves like air dash or kick jump could make exploration more interesting if you utilize these moves at the right time and place to discover new locations.
Maybe the wall run could actually be used for exploration.

The problem is how you get around fast.
It may get tiring to just sprint from one location to another.
Maybe either the protagonist rides on a demonic horse or a motorcycle.

Goldsickle

It would certainly make a change from the old Mission system. Seriously that already felt super dated by the time DmC came out. :bored:
The weird thing is how DMC's level design was made with full backtracking in mind, as though it's a Metroidvania kind of game.
Imagine playing Resident Evil but you progress to a new "chapter" anytime you get a new key item or defeat a boss.
That's how DMC1, 3 & 4 felt (I forgot how the level design was in 2).

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
(I forgot how the level design was in 2).

it felt more like lords of shadow 2 the way i remember and felt about it --don't really remember either..

Maybe either the protagonist rides on a demonic horse or a motorcycle.

makes me wonder, will we have motorcycle use in 5? having the teaser with a motorcycle really came out of nowhere if it won't be available..

on topic, i'd love to see this too, but then i wonder how will it work for the game, the closest thing i could imagine for a vast DMC world is lords of shadow(2)-esque, i could see it work on even a larger scale that LoS2..

and since LoS 2's world was rather segmented, that could work with missions mechanics

for an 'open world' open world type, i really can't see it happening/ having problem imagining it, unless it's a spin-off of a DMC universe, where we play as customizable character with DMC lores and cameos in it

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
I don't know how well that would mix with DMC which has always been about combat gameplay.
Wha... What...? Dude, go back and play DMC/2/3 on DMCHD. It's always been gearing you up for open-world DMC.

This is what I said in another thread:
Haven't you been paying attention? DMC3, and by extension, DMC4 and the reboot, have all been flirting with open world - they were still linear still, but open world has been there since almost day one. DMC was supposed to be open world, but because of the hardware, they had to constrain the gameplay to level designs. In DMC3, you traverse in teng ni gru almost entirely. In DMC4, you traverse in a mansion, and a church. DMC's design was pretty level-ish but was semi-open, and the reboot takes you to different levels but it's actually in two different worlds.
Also, this...
The weird thing is how DMC's level design was made with full backtracking in mind, as though it's a Metroidvania kind of game.
Imagine playing Resident Evil but you progress to a new "chapter" anytime you get a new key item or defeat a boss.
That's how DMC1, 3 & 4 felt (I forgot how the level design was in 2).
DMC2 was actually trying to be an open world game with Metroidvania put into the mix.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Dark Souls 1's level design with it's interconnecting world would suit more rather than an open world like WItcher 3 or Assassin's Creed. The way firelink shrine, Undead Burg, Undead Parish, Darkroot Garden all interconnected was a masterpiece of level design that From Soft never really surpassed from the later souls games (Probably aside from Bloodborne).

Goldsickle

Dark Souls 1's level design with it's interconnecting world would suit more rather than an open world like WItcher 3 or Assassin's Creed. The way firelink shrine, Undead Burg, Undead Parish, Darkroot Garden all interconnected was a masterpiece of level design that From Soft never really surpassed from the later souls games (Probably aside from Bloodborne).
I never played the Souls series before but I'm guessing it's interconnected like Resident Evil stage designs, only bigger?
Like how progressing through the stages opens up shortcuts that leads you back to an earlier area?

Meg

I would hate an open world DMC. Not everything needs to be open world, and I'm sick of the number of games going that route. I'm not saying DMC needs to keep its traditional mission structure, but it needs to stay linear. A game about mastering the combat system, making crazy combos, and trying to complete levels as quickly as possible does not fit with an open world.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I felt the new Dad of War was a good compromise.

Linear, but with branching paths for exploration to get collectables and stuff. The best level design is where the player doesn't feel like they're on a narrow linear path even if it actually is.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
I felt the new Dad of War was a good compromise.

Linear, but with branching paths for exploration to get collectables and stuff. The best level design is where the player doesn't feel like they're on a narrow linear path even if it actually is.

Yeah the level design was quite good in that game, still they sacrificed a lot of resources for that, wich lead to them masking loading times with climbing sequences and such. I feel like it wouldn't really work with DMC.

Goldsickle

I would hate an open world DMC. Not everything needs to be open world, and I'm sick of the number of games going that route. I'm not saying DMC needs to keep its traditional mission structure, but it needs to stay linear. A game about mastering the combat system, making crazy combos, and trying to complete levels as quickly as possible does not fit with an open world.
Mission structure can still be preserved, like in Metal Gear Solid 5.
Despite having an open-world structure, you can still have timed missions and ranking.
Missions can be started by going to a specific location or descend directly from a chopper.

It kinda reminds me of one section in Devil May Cry 1, in between Mission 7 & Mission 8.
You're basically "free-roaming", where you're not currently in the middle of a mission and not timed or anything.
Mission 8 only begins when you cross the gap over the main hall and enter the door.

Imagine free-roaming in a large, open world map, but start a story mission by entering a specific cave, ruin or castle.

Meg

Mission structure can still be preserved, like in Metal Gear Solid 5.
Despite having an open-world structure, you can still have timed missions and ranking.
Missions can be started by going to a specific location or descend directly from a chopper.

It kinda reminds me of one section in Devil May Cry 1, in between Mission 7 & Mission 8.
You're basically "free-roaming", where you're not currently in the middle of a mission and not timed or anything.
Mission 8 only begins when you cross the gap over the main hall and enter the door.

Imagine free-roaming in a large, open world map, but start a story mission by entering a specific cave, ruin or castle.
I still really don't want that. Bigger isn't always better. Having more to do doesn't work if a lot of it is boring. If the set up was what you described then the levels would still be the best/most exciting parts and the parts people would want to replay while everything in between would range from stuff to do for the sake of stuff to do or just plain crap you have to run passed to get to the next level. I'd much rather have a more focused experience for a game like DMC.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Yeah I have to agree. I wouldn’t want an open world DMC game.

I’d like bigger levels, but not outright open world.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
I'm guessing it's interconnected like Resident Evil stage designs, only bigger?
Like how progressing through the stages opens up shortcuts that leads you back to an earlier area?

Imagine a metroidvania game but in 3D and has a much more grounded level design. There would be less filler compared to an open world like the WItcher 3 while still able to explore since Souls level design is not really linear (With the exception of Dark Souls 3) but it's still "to the point" that in a sense that it's not convoluted and still has focus on the action.

Also anyone should play Dark Souls. It's the one of the most iconic and influential game in the past decade for a reason. It would also pave the way for a masterpiece like Bloodborne.

Goldsickle

I’d like bigger levels, but not outright open world.
It's not just about a giant map but also actual side missions, as in Devil Hunting jobs.

Remember that anime episode where Dante was hired as a bodyguard by a group of treasure hunters?
It then leads to some back story involving a siren cursing a singer and Dante lifting the curse.
Why can't we have actual Devil Hunting jobs like that in gameplay form?

It's something the Witcher III does well in letting us experience Geralt's life hunting monsters and earning from it.

Even before playing Witcher III, I already had desires to see more "side missions" after watching the anime, because I thought more focus on Dante's side Devil Hunting mission would be interesting and let us know more about him.
Maybe someone will tell me "that's what the novels/comics/anime are for" when it come's to Dante or the other character's life as Devil Hunters but I'm not satisfied.
I would really like to experience this in gameplay form and an open-world format is one of the method for that.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Its something to experiment with in a spinoff or future title. You could have a Lady/Trish spinoff focusing on them infiltrating a group and taking it out before it gets too big. Trish does her shapechanging thing and tries to win their trust. Lady acts as mission control with the option to play as her in a few missions. Her missions are a mixture of third person shooter mechanics/stealth because she can't do what Trish can.

The case of the week structure could work to facilitate a limited open world. Dante moves to a new city and takes a few cases. After a while he picks up on a thread and starts investigating.

DmC felt like the right title for this because you could have the game be Dante doing missions for the Order. You could set up Vergil's scheme and further dive into the characters by giving them a quest chain. The order getting killed would mean more if you got to know more of its members. This also sets up optional missions where Dante prioritizes searching for survivors and finds out there was a traitor etc.

Top Bottom