• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Relatively unpopular opinions about any and everything

DarkSlayerVergil

She is a good singer. But I gotta say, it just seems like they've cast her to appease the PC brigade. Why is everyone afraid of casting white people to play a white character? It's not controversial to try and keep to the film you're adapting from.

And before someone screams at me for being a massive racist, get over yourselves. It's not a case of "white is better", it's a case of "the little mermaid was white". Just like if a white girl played Princess Jasmine or a black girl played Mulan. Nothing to do with being a racist.

I was livid they screwed up Beauty and the Beast...Emma Watson cannot sing, there was zero chemistry between her and the Beast...so much annoyed me about that film I actually cannot sit through it anymore.

Jafar and Iago in Aladdin were dreadful, Naomi Scott can sing but did not have the dynamic vocal ability to perform Speechless (another stupid addition to that film) and her dad? The sultan? He just seemed baffled to be in a film where he wasn't the typecast terrorist. There was this whole dumb 2019 feminism cobblers woven through it which was completely unnecessary too. Personally, I thought it was more PC crap. Jasmine in the cartoon was still feisty and ballsy without making women look pathetic - why did they have to change it?

Ugh. I'm not even going to attempt the Lion King...
I agree. I have no plans to see remakes of movies that don't need to be remade, and it's almost as if when they do remake things and change the character to a different race or gender, and if people don't love that right off the bat, it gives them a reason to claim the world is crawling with racists and sexists. I also think (even though I am in the LGBT community by default now) that pandering to that community by making formerly straight characters gay or trans is... well, it's just cringe. I have zero interest in seeing myself "represented", I wanna watch a movie to escape what my life is! Not see it on the screen. Make an original gay character, don't mess with existing characters or try to shoehorn them into a previous IP to try to prove that the world isn't accepting or to try to force people to accept. It only makes people annoyed and feel like everything they are fans of is being hijacked and manipulated. Are they really so short of ideas they can't make some new ones to represent other demographics?

But what I really wish is that they would just concentrate on making some good original content in Hollywood and stop worrying about race, gender and sexuality. So tired of them going on about it.
It's especially weird for the little mermaid since the original version it was based off of is Danish in origin. So the person that wrote that with the intention that Ariel even though she was a mermaid she still looked european in skin tone. It'd be like making Thor black even Scandanavians are pretty pale white, ironically theirs a running joke going around that Hollywood is turning all the red headed characters black in live-adaptation remakes and Thor contrary to what Marvel would have people believe Thor is a red-head in Norse-myths not blonde. So say if Dinsey never acquired the rights to Marvel characters and decided "Hey we did Greek myth with Hercules, how about we tackle Norse with Thor? He'd probably be black.

Reactions: V

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Nextflix Marvel: Dare Devil Season 3 > 1 > 2 --> Luke Cage S1 (I have not seen S2 yet) --> Punisher --> The Defenders --> Jessica Jones --> Ironfist. With that said, I consider The Defenders great, and Jessica Jones frustrating to watch. Ironfist I found boring

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Nextflix Marvel: Dare Devil Season 3 > 1 > 2 --> Luke Cage S1 (I have not seen S2 yet) --> Punisher --> The Defenders --> Jessica Jones --> Ironfist. With that said, I consider The Defenders great, and Jessica Jones frustrating to watch. Ironfist I found boring
The main villain in Luke Cage season 2 is great - really enjoyed what he brought to the show. See what you think when you get a chance to watch it.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
From all the comments around the internet, it does seem like this is an unpopular opinion. I think the werewolf design for Van Helsing sucks. Everyone seems to love it and I don't understand why. First of all, it's a 100% CGI fake ass looking thing. And second, it's cartoony looking CGI to boot. Cartoony, I tell you. I can't fathom how anyone can take it seriously. Here's a couple of scenes taken from the last fight.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Look at that ****. That's supposed to look badass? You know what comes to my mind whenever I watch those? This in the background:

I dare anyone to claim it wouldn't fit perfectly, especially on the second gif there. It's that cartoony. The constant close-up shots, the exaggerated fangs and mouth, the overly bulky body, it all contributes to that effect. Just ugh.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
From all the comments around the internet, it does seem like this is an unpopular opinion. I think the werewolf design for Van Helsing sucks. Everyone seems to love it and I don't understand why. First of all, it's a 100% CGI fake ass looking thing. And second, it's cartoony looking CGI to boot. Cartoony, I tell you. I can't fathom how anyone can take it seriously. Here's a couple of scenes taken from the last fight.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Look at that ****. That's supposed to look badass? You know what comes to my mind whenever I watch those? This in the background:

I dare anyone to claim it wouldn't fit perfectly, especially on the second gif there. It's that cartoony. The constant close-up shots, the exaggerated fangs and mouth, the overly bulky body, it all contributes to that effect. Just ugh.

I think the reason why this gets so much leeway is A.) Hugh Jackman movie, B.) it was the closest live-action adaption of Castlevania people could get at the time. Then Dracula Untold happen and we have the Castlevania animated series.

Even for 2004, the CGI was questionable at best. I always thought Van Helsing was just okay. Some decent background noise once in a while.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
* Tacos are the most overrated food
They are good quickie foods, though.
Disney needs to stop making live action versions of their cartoons.

They suck.

At the very least they could TRY to find people with talent to take on roles that require the ability to sing.
I agree. Most Disney films are being re-adapted and rebooted because they thought they can get away with a remake rather than a sequel.

Most Disney films are pure advertisement for the songs themselves. I don't think that it'll work in today's marketplace.
She is a good singer. But I gotta say, it just seems like they've cast her to appease the PC brigade. Why is everyone afraid of casting white people to play a white character? It's not controversial to try and keep to the film you're adapting from.
The problem is most movie directors think that controversy works all the time. Ahem. No, it does not. You'll only destroy the film's quality that way.
And before someone screams at me for being a massive racist, get over yourselves. It's not a case of "white is better", it's a case of "the little mermaid was white". Just like if a white girl played Princess Jasmine or a black girl played Mulan. Nothing to do with being a racist.
I agree with that comment. Except for Mulan and Jasmine, though. You can make the case that a black lady can play the role, because some black ladies have that color hue. That tan-ish, brown-ish mix, if you know what I mean. As long as the directors choose the right lady to play the role, I'm game. Jasmine doesn't look black in the live-action film, she looks like one of those dark arabs.
I was livid they screwed up Beauty and the Beast...Emma Watson cannot sing, there was zero chemistry between her and the Beast...so much annoyed me about that film I actually cannot sit through it anymore.
I can't say I was livid, but I can agree that I couldn't sit through the film with a smile. I got nothing from the actress. Beast too. It feels like a half-baked film. I'm not trying to jump on this hivemind, but that's how I felt about that film. I mean, I guess it's okay, but what's special about it? The only thing I will give credit to is the graphics. They replicated most of the film exactly like the original. And they've managed to keep the magical feel. That much I will give the film.
Jafar and Iago in Aladdin were dreadful, Naomi Scott can sing but did not have the dynamic vocal ability to perform Speechless (another stupid addition to that film) and her dad? The sultan? He just seemed baffled to be in a film where he wasn't the typecast terrorist. There was this whole dumb 2019 feminism cobblers woven through it which was completely unnecessary too. Personally, I thought it was more PC crap. Jasmine in the cartoon was still feisty and ballsy without making women look pathetic - why did they have to change it?
That's because the PC era is nimble. The fact that you said that Jasmine doesn't have this fiesty, ballsy attitude makes me go like, "Oh really? Not surprised." The fiesty, ballsy ladies of the world are being buried these days. I've met my share of fiesty/ballsy ladies, and they attract me enough to be curious what's coming. I like calm ladies, but the fiesty parts of women can be interesting when the time is right. In fact, when they are fiesty/ballsy, they're actually being sarcastic. The fun kind of sarcastic. :)

Damn. I'm disappointed that Aladdin isn't interesting based on what I read here. I loved the original film, despite the whole sing-a-long theme going on in there.
Ugh. I'm not even going to attempt the Lion King...
It's that bad?
EA is once again under attack for their lootbox policies, and once again the old argument "are lootboxes a form of gambling?" is resurfacing.

Well, as much as I hate EA, this time I agree with them that lootboxes aren't gambling.

Now, I know the definition is blurry and open to interpretation, different people and different countries have different concepts of what gambling is. But to me, a key aspect of it is that there has to be the concept of win and loss, as in you spend your money and get nothing in return.

Lootboxes don't have the concept of loss. You might not get what you wanted, or you might get duplicates, but you still do get something. There aren't instances where you open a box and nothing comes out of it.

Are they often a scummy, anti consumer practice? Yes, absolutely, especially when tied to progression, making them a pay to win mechanic. But, IMO, they're not equivalent of gambling. And honestly, you don't need to label them as such to condemn them. You don't need to call them gambling and rely on the negative aura of that term to recognize them as the greedy, scummy practice that they are.
  • Dark Knight Rises is a great film and is better than Batman Begins. This is an unpopluar opinion if you are Moviebob, CinemaSins, or the Honest Trailer guys.
Oh, no no no. Quite the opposite. It's quite the opposite. It's a popular opinion. Dark Knight Rises is such a great film.
It's especially weird for the little mermaid since the original version it was based off of is Danish in origin. So the person that wrote that with the intention that Ariel even though she was a mermaid she still looked european in skin tone. It'd be like making Thor black even Scandanavians are pretty pale white, ironically theirs a running joke going around that Hollywood is turning all the red headed characters black in live-adaptation remakes and Thor contrary to what Marvel would have people believe Thor is a red-head in Norse-myths not blonde. So say if Dinsey never acquired the rights to Marvel characters and decided "Hey we did Greek myth with Hercules, how about we tackle Norse with Thor? He'd probably be black.
To be fair, in United States, especially if you took ethnic studies in college... Europeans people are seen as white people, so Hollywood is stupid then, they're stupid now. The funny thing is, some versions of The Little Mermaid changes the skin tones, and I wonder what the hell was it for...? I remember the original having this white skin tone, then later versions you have a tanned Ariel. The sequels followed this model.

I was told the same thing by a family member, so when I heard it in college, I was like "oh."

Last edited:

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
I don't know if the lion king will be bad or good, I've just been put off adaptations so far and whilst it's not my favourite, the lion king holds a special place in my heart nostalgia-wise...if that got ruined, I'd be mad.

It looks impressive from the trailers...but then I thought Aladdin would be epic too.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Bad CGI is nothing worse than bad practical effects. They're equally bad, and they only differ in the way they're bad. Crappy CGI is horribly immersion breaking, and bad practical effects are downright laughable to look at. So this conception that no matter what, CGI < practical can **** off. People only say that cause they only look at movies with bad CGI and ignore those with bad practicals, and/or they try to sound smarter and more "sophisticated" than they are.

Meg

I don't think The Witcher Netflix show looks good. I don't like some of the casting decisions (no not because I'm racist) and the impression I'm getting is that it's going to be SJW "white people bad. especially white men." Showrunner already got caught lying at least once (suspicious about some other things she said) so I don't care what she has to say about the show.

Overall there is so much toxicity and hysteria surrounding the show that I'm sick to death of it and it hasn't even come out yet. Shame too because I really got into the series this year. :frown:

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Of the Marvel line-up at SDCC2019, I only really care about two or three of the things announced; which were Blade, Thor: Love and Thunder, and Wanda Vision. Everything else just doesn't get my attention.
At the very least, DC has more of the stuff I'm interested in.

Witcher doesn't do it for me like I thought it would. I knew I wasn't going to like it much the moment I saw Henry Cavill in costume. The wig looks so fake to me because I'm use to his normal hair. They could've done so much better.

There was more stuff I was excited for in DC then I was Marvel; Supergirl's new suit and trailer, Titans season 2 stuff, Harley Quinn animated series trailer, Black Lightning season 3 news (FINALLY), Arrow Final trailer, Brandon Routh coming back as Superman for the Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover, etc.
*Speaking of Crisis on Infinite Earths, why the hell can the animated films and tv show do such great crossovers, yet the DCEU still can't make a decient crossover film? I know the circumstances with JL but still. Just make a better plan WB! That's all you gotta do!

It chapter 1 wasn't that great to me, so hopefully chapter 2 delivers.

TWD season 10 trailer didn't appeal to me at all. I don't know why since I AM a walking dead fan, but the series has slowly been losing steam for me after Andrew Lincoln left.

I don't really care about Endgame passing Avatar.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
TWD season 10 trailer didn't appeal to me at all. I don't know why since I AM a walking dead fan, but the series has slowly been losing steam for me after Andrew Lincoln left.

I stopped caring for Walking Dead since season 2. Once I realized the show was nothing, but never ending misery, I dropped the show immediately. Plus, I was getting sick and tired of zombies by this point. It's the same reason I have a huge dislike of Attack on Titan.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I stopped caring for Walking Dead since season 2. Once I realized the show was nothing, but never ending misery, I dropped the show immediately. Plus, I was getting sick and tired of zombies by this point. It's the same reason I have a huge dislike of Attack on Titan.
I remembered I watched it for Michonne since I liked katanas (still do) but stopped after a couple episodes. Then, it got my curiosity when Negan appeared and that made me watch the seasons in which he was the main enemy. But now since Negan was blue-balled for the whole season 9 and will probably continue to be blue-balled throughout season 10, I'm just losing steam with the series all together. Fear The Walking Dead is actually better though.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I hate Disney. They are the kings of the general audience pleasers. In some respects it's not their fault. When they try to make something tangible nobody goes to see it, like The Princes and the Frog, but when they make the most unimaginative, recycled, standard merchandise sellers with gorgeous animation they make billions upon billions. In my eyes they are the anti-Ghibli. And not just their animations. I never had as much interest as everyone else did in the Marvel films but the more they release the less and less I want to see. I get the appeal. I used to love Disney films, but the older I got, as of late, too, well, I just can't stand them.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Buggy ass release aside, Batman: Arkham Origins is better than Asylum and City. Only Arkham Knight beats it, and for unpopular opinion number 2, no, the number of Batmobile sections didn't bother me at all. That thing is fun as hell to play with and I didn't find there were too many segments to the point of feeling like the whole game was just Batmobile, as I've heard a lot of people exaggeratedly claim.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
When they try to make something tangible, nobody goes to see it, like The Princes and the Frog, but when they make the most unimaginative, recycled, standard merchandise sellers with gorgeous animation they make billions upon billions.

The funny thing is, people like to blame Avatar (2009) coming out around the same time as why the film did not do well as it should. The Princess and the Frog was not exactly a financial failure, but could have done better had not been for the release of Cameron's over hyped, average, film. With special effects that aren't that unique or special anymore, making it age even worse. I sill wonder sometimes if things might have been different Avatar been released a year later.

Evil Within 1 & 2 (the sequel is better than the original) are better than Resident Evil 4-7 and Revelations 1 & 2. There, I said it. Ironic, because RE: Revelation 2 copied elements from EW1.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
The funny thing is, people like to blame Avatar (2009) coming out around the same time as why the film did not do well as it should. The Princess and the Frog was not exactly a financial failure, but could have done better had not been for the release of Cameron's over hyped, average, film. With special effects that aren't that unique or special anymore, making it age even worse. I sill wonder sometimes if things might have been different Avatar been released a year later.
The evidence shows that after Tangled and Princes and the Frog Disney abandoned hand drawn animation in favor of CG. I happened to be there, at the studio, during the production of both. They seemed excited to show off both but were especially proud of making a hand drawn film again. Looks like that didn't last.

Edit: I just reread this comment and realized it might seem like I was there in some work capacity or the like. No, I just visited the studio in my college days to take a tour of the studio and talk to the producers and animators.

Last edited:

Goldsickle

Anytime the piano puzzle in the first Silent Hill pop out, there will be people claiming that the puzzle is so messed up that it can't be solved without a guide.
I solved it by myself without a guide back in 1999.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
"Let me get this straight. You think that your client, one of the wealthiest, most powerful men in the world, is secretly a vigilante who spends his nights beating criminals to a pulp with his bare hands. And your plan is to blackmail this person? ... Good luck."

Randomly run into this scene from The Dark Knight on YouTube and it got me thinking. All the people saying that trilogy is a killjoy fest from beginning to end and devoid of humor are just a bunch of bullshitters. Those movies do have quite a few humorous scenes sprinkled in, and just because the jokes aren't as blatant, juvenile, and sometimes downright mood-ruining as those in the Marvel movies or some of the latest DCEU entries doesn't mean they're not there.

Top Bottom