• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Sega disowns ‘average’ Sonic games

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Thought I would share Sega's Idiocy with you.

Basically they're stopping providing stock to shops of all the rubbish Sonic games we've been bombarded with over the years, effectively disowning them and allowing Sonic Colours to start from a more level playing field.

Talking to trade paper MCV, Sega Europe's senior vice president Jurgen Post confirmed that, 'Any Sonic game with an average Metacritic has been de-listed.'

'We have to do this and increase the value of the brand. This will be very important when more big Sonic releases arrive in the future,' he said.

'We could make a lot of money on back-catalogue Sonic titles, but let's keep the number of Sonic games available under control. Otherwise you can have cannibalisation. If there are ten Sonic games on the shelves, with people seeing Sonic Rush DS or Sonic Rush Adventure, this may not help our overall strategy,' he added.

We don't know if you've spotted the mistake but the only games he actually mentioned by name are probably the best two Sonic games released in the last decade. The Metacritic score for Sonic Rush is 82 and Sonic Rush Adventure's is 78.

Ignoring this faux pas though it is nice to Sega so confident in Sonic Colours, which we've been very impressed with so far in the previews we've seen. We're less convinced about download Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 though and Kinect game Sonic Free Riders seems just as awful as the other Sonic Riders games.

WTF?! I loved every mediocre Sonic game. And i don't think the 3D ones were that bad.
I love Sonic Adventure and Adventure 2.
Sonic Rush was pretty cool and so were the ones on the Gameboy.
I'm off to play an average Sonic game...

I hope Sonic Colours Bombs.:mad:

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
SA 1 and 2 were great games, and people just say they sucked because they're Genesis fanboys. People just say Unleashed and The Black Knight sucked because 06 sucked. Unleashed and The Black Knight were good games, dammit! And the Adventure games are my favorite Sonic games of all time! The Genesis games were good, and have my favorite villain in the series (Mecha Sonic in Sonic and Knuckles) But come on! People have to learn to be open minded about things.

It's like when people said Metroid would suck in 3D, then the Prime series came along and blew everyone's minds. Only the blind idiots say the game sucked.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Hmm. Sega must be crazy to abandon the so called 'average' Sonic games. However, judging by the looks of Sonic Colours, many gave the game a good reception, so possibly it is to get Sonic's good name back.

Nice find, Rep+. :)

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
Dread: I totally agree.
I've yet to play Black Knight, but i loved the story and graphics in Unleashed.
Although, i don't suppose there would be much chance in getting The Black Knight now, especially if Sega are withdrawing copies.

I suppose its a bit like Capcom denying the existence of DMC2 (I wouldn't put it past them).

Thanks Chaos Master.

Meg

Nothing says smart than pretending the past never happened.

"Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it." Words to live by. Especially if you are Sega. XD

The crazy demon

Metal Gear Vindicare.
*Reads*

D:

I am a great fan of Sonic(Blue beat red caps Mario :p).

But i hope Sega can at least keep giving us adventure games :p

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY SSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA??????????????????????????????????????????????I loved every Sonic game...I grew up with Sonic!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Flash!*!!!!Could it be...?Maybe it's because the 10 year contract with Nintendo ended and they want only their strongest games to be out on the shelves so that they can rebuilt the glorious SEGA Empire again?So that we can enjoy SEGA games on a SEGA console again?Maybe they are harsh,but what if this is the case?

Meg

^ OH! I do believe Sega said they wanted to make a handheld. *goes to find*

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
I heard rumors of a Dreamcast 2... but... they are years old.

I'd love to see Sega making consoles again. If they do a handheld, i wonder if it'll be like the game gear.

Ebony

Dante enthusiast!
Premium
I liked Sonic Adventure, I can't understand what they would gain by 'disowning' it?

Very random. We have 'Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games' for the Wii and I still can't get my head around Mario and Sonic being in the same game, it's just wrong! (The games quite **** too!)

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
@ Meg and VB : REALLY?They do plan on making a handheld...God/SEGA has answered my prayers...one way or another...anyway if that's the case,then their strategy may be harsh,but it will prove much more effective than having everything on sale.

I hope the handheld they will make[if they do make one] to be equal to the 3DS but the SEGA way.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Personally never really been a fan of Sonic and they have milked the series almost as much as Mario has been milked now. The cow is long dead and they should fund games people want to see that havent been flogged to death like a sequel to Shenmue II after all these years.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
There is a sequel to Shenmue coming called Shenmue town in...amazon browser...or something.

And Sonic still gots much more to go than Mario.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Devil Bane;281450 said:
There is a sequel to Shenmue coming called Shenmue town in...amazon browser...or something.

I mean a proper retail game, i loved the first and second and ive always wanted to see a sequel on a current generation console. Not some browser game with the Shenmue game tagged onto it. It was so ahead of its time back then id love to see what they could do with todays technology.

Top Bottom