• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

SNK Thread

Super90sgamer

So yeah, I decided to make a thread about SNK, The developer behind The King of Fighters, Samurai Shadown, Metal Slug and a lot of hidden gems from this company.

Let's start our first news with SNK's IPO press that held in South Korea where they reveal the 15th installment of their 2D fighting game The king of Fighter VX being in-development without any issues. The producer didn't revealed on which the console it's going to be but they announced that KoF VX will be available in 2020, Seems SNK putting the next gen consoles in consideration.

And at the same press conference, they also announced that Samurai Shadown will release in Q2 2019 for PS4, X1, Pc and Switch. Here's the gameplay teaser trailer In any case you missed it.

Source: Shoryuken

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
So yeah, I decided to make a thread about SNK, The developer behind The King of Fighters, Samurai Shadown, Metal Slug and a lot of hidden gems from this company.

Let's start our first news with SNK's IPO press that held in South Korea where they reveal the 15th installment of their 2D fighting game The king of Fighter VX being in-development without any issues. The producer didn't revealed on which the console it's going to be but they announced that KoF VX will be available in 2020, Seems SNK putting the next gen consoles in consideration.

And at the same press conference, they also announced that Samurai Shadown will release in Q2 2019 for PS4, X1, Pc and Switch. Here's the gameplay teaser trailer In any case you missed it.

Source: Shoryuken
Nice to see another SNK fan. I never played every single game from them, but I played alot. Samurai Showdown, Fatal Fury, Sengoku, Robo Army, and Metal Slug.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
I love SNK. It's a great company, too bad Neo Geo didn't sell that much here in the States. (Worldwide sales close to a million copies.) The consoles were way ahead of its time. An arcade board doubling itself as a console? Sign me up. The problem was and still is to this day, is the consoles were expensive to make, and expensive to buy. A lot of people chewed The 3DO Company out of buildings the moment they mentioned $700. Same with PS3 ($600). Today, we're more comfortable with the price than before.

Originally MVS was an arcade cabinet, but later sold as a rental unit. SNK reversed the model by selling in addition to renting the system. That demand was mostly in Japan, and sold as a luxury console.
The Neo Geo originally launched as the MVS (Multi Video System) coin-operated arcade machine. The MVS offers owners the ability to put up to six different cartridges into a single cabinet, a unique feature that was also a key economic consideration for operators with limited floorspace, as well as saving money in the long-run.[2] With its games stored on self-contained cartridges, a game cabinet can be exchanged for a different game title by swapping the game's ROM Cartridge and cabinet artwork. A home console version was also made, called AES (Advanced Entertainment System). It was originally launched as a rental console for video game stores in Japan (called Neo Geo Rental System), with its high price causing SNK not to release it for home use – this was later reversed due to high demand and it came into the market as a luxury console.
Source: Wikipedia

I wish I knew a lot as a kid, but I didn't. Internet didn't exist until 1997? I think? I had my first job at 16. Oh well. I still love the systems.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
I love SNK. It's a great company, too bad Neo Geo didn't sell that much here in the States. (Worldwide sales close to a million copies.) The consoles were way ahead of its time. An arcade board doubling itself as a console? Sign me up. The problem was and still is to this day, is the consoles were expensive to make, and expensive to buy. A lot of people chewed The 3DO Company out of buildings the moment they mentioned $700. Same with PS3 ($600). Today, we're more comfortable with the price than before.

Originally MVS was an arcade cabinet, but later sold as a rental unit. SNK reversed the model by selling in addition to renting the system. That demand was mostly in Japan, and sold as a luxury console.

Source: Wikipedia

I wish I knew a lot as a kid, but I didn't. Internet didn't exist until 1997? I think? I had my first job at 16. Oh well. I still love the systems.

I knew about the Neo Geo and it's expensive games since I was about 5. For refrence, it was 1994 at that age. The reason I knew was because of gaming magazine and hearing different things from SNK fans when going to arcades throughout the years. I remember a kid bringing a Neo Geo to summer day care. Nearly ever kid lined up to play Samurai Showdown II. Good times.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
I knew about the Neo Geo and it's expensive games since I was about 5. For refrence, it was 1994 at that age. The reason I knew was because of gaming magazine and hearing different things from SNK fans when going to arcades throughout the years. I remember a kid bringing a Neo Geo to summer day care. Nearly ever kid lined up to play Samurai Showdown II. Good times.
I knew about it for a while as a ARCADE MACHINE. I saw a magazine page talking about a Neo Geo console that would come, but besides a store that I go to which was called Super Star Rentals or something like that - they carried it, but I didn't know how much it cost, or how to get it other than that particular store. I loved Samurai Showdown, but the only place I could play it was either in arcades or ....Genesis. It felt off on Genesis. Which was sad at the time, I didn't understand it at the time, but I do now. It was not the perfect conversion, and it couldn't in that stage, because you couldn't store that much memory into a cartridge in those days. Keep in mind, we were paying almost $100 for Genesis/SNES games. Back then, I wouldn't know because I wasn't the one buying the games, it was my parents. It was only recently that I discovered that MVS cost $696 at launch, and never went down in price. The cartridges were $150, which actually makes SNES/Genesis look like a cheap attempt at making money. In those days, I imagine Nintendo/SEGA making bucket loads of money. Tons of money.

Genesis/SNES/3DO/Sega CD were all sold everywhere. Neo Geo wasn't.

I always wanted an arcade machine at home, but it was costly.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
I knew about it for a while as a ARCADE MACHINE. I saw a magazine page talking about a Neo Geo console that would come, but besides a store that I go to which was called Super Star Rentals or something like that - they carried it, but I didn't know how much it cost, or how to get it other than that particular store. I loved Samurai Showdown, but the only place I could play it was either in arcades or ....Genesis. It felt off on Genesis. Which was sad at the time, I didn't understand it at the time, but I do now. It was not the perfect conversion, and it couldn't in that stage, because you couldn't store that much memory into a cartridge in those days. Keep in mind, we were paying almost $100 for Genesis/SNES games. Back then, I wouldn't know because I wasn't the one buying the games, it was my parents. It was only recently that I discovered that MVS cost $696 at launch, and never went down in price. The cartridges were $150, which actually makes SNES/Genesis look like a cheap attempt at making money. In those days, I imagine Nintendo/SEGA making bucket loads of money. Tons of money.

Genesis/SNES/3DO/Sega CD were all sold everywhere. Neo Geo wasn't.

I always wanted an arcade machine at home, but it was costly.

The last time I remember seeing a Neo Geo was being sold at a Circuit City...in 1997. They were also selling some Neo Geo CDs. I grew up on Genesis. My older brother was big on sports games and arcade titles. Me, I personally enjoyed mostly action games and platformers.

Last edited:

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
The last time I remember seeing a Neo Geo being sold at a Circuit City...in 1997. They were also selling some Neo Geo CDs. I grew up on Genesis. My older brother was big on sports games and arcade titles. Me, I personally enjoyed mostly action games and platformers.
Same. Same. :) I loved most genres, except sports - however, I will play arcade sports (think NFL Blitz).

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I wish that SNK would port Samurai Shodown64 over to modern consoles&PC, that game looks amazing and way better than the 3d Samurai Shodown games that came after it.

Speaking of Metal Slug, the first game's ending was depressing. It goes into spec-ops territory and makes you feel like an asshole at the end.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
I wish that SNK would port Samurai Shodown64 over to modern consoles&PC, that game looks amazing and way better than the 3d Samurai Shodown games that came after it.

Speaking of Metal Slug, the first game's ending was depressing. It goes into spec-ops territory and makes you feel like an asshole at the end.
I'm guessing that's what this new reboot is...

Top Bottom