• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So, photorealism...

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
devil-may-cry-5-music-reacts-to-gameplay.jpg

In latest interview we got some information that Capcom is striving towards photorealism with DMCV.
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/07/1...ealism-with-action-the-mystery-3rd-hero-more/
My honest question is how everybody feeling about it? Personally I don't think that's such a good idea. In the end we still talking about crazy game with giant demons, so unlike likes of Uncharted, TLOU, etc, is photorealism really should be THAT impoertant. Also I'm not really fond that they won't allow to skip animation frames anymore. It was unrealistic yet, but it made game much more playable.

Shadow-death

English is not my native language, so I can not understand correctly. The meaning of the news is that now after the animation of the blow began it can not be stopped? Now you can forget about the dodge and combo in the air? Or how to understand all this?

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
English is not my native language, so I can not understand correctly. The meaning of the news is that now after the animation of the blow began it can not be stopped? Now you can forget about the dodge and combo in the air? Or how to understand all this?
Its like when you turned around in games before, it happened in the same moment, but now they aided wait to the character it will go through longer animation.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I dunno, the gameplay shown so far didn't look like this stuff is getting in the way of combat. In the Inside Xbox interview, whoever was playing did a pretty cool triple Calibur combo using jump canceling and it looked like it always has.

If anything, to me this "adding weight" to the characters kinda sounds like what the natural evolution of DMC4's inertia would be. It'd be pretty damn awesome if they expanded on it or even just brought it back, Guard Flying is by far the sickest looking tech in the whole of Devil May Cry history and it was made possible by that.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Maybe it's not drastic, I just don't want it to turn into God of War, where every move feels extra slow, because of how massive animation around it is. In other words, I just want to have fast paced combat.

DarkSlayerVergil

Maybe it's not drastic, I just don't want it to turn into God of War, where every move feels extra slow, because of how massive animation around it is. In other words, I just want to have fast paced combat.
Seems as though fast paced combat is still thier top priority with photorealism only being used as a way of still trying to appeal to westerners while also keeping the combat stylish old fans. Personally I'm sold on it for various reasons, 1 being that Nero and Dante looks as though they gave up on thier final fantasy cosplay dreams.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Seems as though fast paced combat is still thier top priority with photorealism only being used as a way of still trying to appeal to westerners while also keeping the combat stylish old fans. Personally I'm sold on it for various reasons, 1 being that Nero and Dante looks as though they gave up on thier final fantasy cosplay dreams.
I'm not bothered by their looks, but I hope they avoid all the stuff that made new GoW offputting to me, like walking simulator section, slow turning, clunky dodging and general slow pace of the combat.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I'm not bothered by their looks, but I hope they avoid all the stuff that made new GoW offputting to me, like walking simulator section, slow turning, clunky dodging and general slow pace of the combat.
I think the slow turning and such are for explorational purposes, while the combat will still be fresh. And plus it's not like slow turns will break the game. Hell, if lock on is still a thing, the character will just turn right to them.

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
The phrase 'uncanny valley' springs to mind. For me, the PSX reached the pinnacle of 'photo-realistic graphics', everything since then has just sort of creeped me out a little. :(

I think that would be the ultimate troll if Capcom were to make DMC5 a walking simulator... I guess anything is possible when Gears of War teams up with Pop Vinyl...

VengeanceSavage

All that you were programmed to be afraid of
I'm all for photorealism in DMC 5. While the style sounds like it'd be at odds with DMC's legendary hyper-ridiculousness on paper, from the E3 trailer alone the decision looks like it'll be a good fit.

Art direction notwithstanding, I think the human character models in DMC games in general have been fairly realistic, at least to the extent of the technology available at the time of development. So I trust this will pay off. Naturally, the developers can take more creative liberties with the fantastical elements - and I hope they do. DMC has always prided itself on some truly wacky enemy designs, and I expect nothing less this time around.

If you ask me, I'd love to see some enemies with body horror, BDSM, and religious influences. The kind of thing that would make Clive Barker or Wayne Barlowe proud. And the disgusting "organic" architecture reminiscent of the Leviathan level from DMC 3 and some of the later missions in DMC 1 needs to make a return. A great example of that kind of environmental design was in EA's Dante's Inferno game, which was waaaaayyy better than it had any right to be.

But I digress. I have full faith that modern technology and realistic graphics will do the timeless over-the-top spirit of DMC justice.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I think the slow turning and such are for explorational purposes, while the combat will still be fresh. And plus it's not like slow turns will break the game. Hell, if lock on is still a thing, the character will just turn right to them.
I dunno if you played new GoW, but slow turns are somwhat game breaking in it. It basically rises artifical difficulty, because you're not able to dodge instantly out of the way anymore.

I think that would be the ultimate troll if Capcom were to make DMC5 a walking simulator... I guess anything is possible when Gears of War teams up with Pop Vinyl...
I hope it won't have much forced walking around. I think that this stuff belongs only in movie games like TLOU

UncannyGarlic

For example, when you turn around you’ll feel the weight behind the character movement. However, this brings another problem of having a slower response. The team struggled in finding a way to keep the responsiveness while giving it a more photorealistic appearance.
This concerns me but as long as they remember that when push comes to shove gameplay should win, it'll be fine. The quest for more realistic animations while keeping tight gameplay has resulted in many clunky feeling games. I think it's worst when it's painfully obvious at times while completely missing at others because it triggers the sense of the uncanny valley. I'm excited to see a longer video of uninterrupted gameplay to see how it really looks.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
I think it's kinda the natural progression these games have in terms of artstyle.
The design direction was always kinda fantasy or comics but never really "anime" as many put it.
Point is, it was always kinda trying to be more realistic than other games but it never really got in the way of the gameplay
and so far it doesn't look like it will.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I think it's kinda the natural progression these games have in terms of artstyle.
The design direction was always kinda fantasy or comics but never really "anime" as many put it.
Point is, it was always kinda trying to be more realistic than other games but it never really got in the way of the gameplay
and so far it doesn't look like it will.
I know what you mean, but honestly I don't think it needed for the game like DMC. just in my opinion. Also in this very case, they said it would influence gameplay, like for example you can't turn instantly without showing complete animation now.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
I know what you mean, but honestly I don't think it needed for the game like DMC. just in my opinion. Also in this very case, they said it would influence gameplay, like for example you can't turn instantly without showing complete animation now.
from what I read they are simply doing more animation blending, wich has become a standart for games now. That simply means there will be more inbetween animation for stuff like jc'ing and turning. And it will not impact the gameplay in the slightest from what I've seen (been going frame by frame through some of the footage).

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
from what I read they are simply doing more animation blending, wich has become a standart for games now. That simply means there will be more inbetween animation for stuff like jc'ing and turning. And it will not impact the gameplay in the slightest from what I've seen (been going frame by frame through some of the footage).
Well if this is the case, i'mt not worried. I knew it had huge impact on Gow, so that's why I worried about it

Top Bottom