• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Sparda sacrificed his wife?

phoenix-force411

I remember Arkham saying something about Sparda sacrificing a woman or somethin', and up to this day I still don't understand what he meant....can someone explain to me about what Arkham meant?

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
Yeah, I think what DMC3 literally said was that Sparda 'sacrificed his own blood and a mortal priestess'.
The seal only works if blood from the same bloodline is used, apparently. Lady (Mary) is the descendent of the priestess, and that is why her blood was used to reopen the gate to hell.

As far as I know, Eva wasn't a priestess. Also, Sparda closed the gate to hell with his and the priestess' blood a LONG time ago - say 2000 years. After that, he benevolently ruled over the human world. It was only in the 1970s when he finally conceived Dante and Vergil with Eva.

Last edited:

seraphmaycry

Yeah, I think what DMC3 literally said was that Sparda 'sacrificed his own blood and a mortal priestess'.
The seal only works if blood from the same bloodline is used, apparently. Lady (Mary) is the descendent of the priestess, and that is why her blood was used to reopen the gate to hell.

As far as I know, Eva wasn't a priestess. Also, Sparda closed the gate to hell with his and the priestess' blood a LONG time ago - say 2000 years. After that, he benevolently ruled over the human world. It was only in the 1970s when he finally conceived Dante and Vergil with Eva.

i don't think so, because demons murdered eva and also if that's true Dante is around 2000 years old and that library scene is suddenly reaaaaaaaaly awkward, like more awkward and ****ty then the poorly though out supernatural erotica teens seem to like (i'm tradermarking a dragon and banshee book for easy money right now, even)

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
i don't think so, because demons murdered eva and also if that's true Dante is around 2000 years old and that library scene is suddenly reaaaaaaaaly awkward, like more awkward and ****ty then the poorly though out supernatural erotica teens seem to like (i'm tradermarking a dragon and banshee book for easy money right now, even)

What? Why would Dante be 2000 years old? I said he was born in the 1970s, almost 2000 years after Sparda rebelled against Mundus.

Yeah, Eva died when D&V were eight years old, but that doesn't mean the Hell Gate was always open. It might be that somebody was experimenting with opening it, like Agnus was in DMC4, or even Mundus himself. All I know is that in the 1970s everything suddenly turned to ****e again, and Dante had to 'clean up his father's mess' from the age of 19 (DMC3) to 30 (DMC4).

Last edited:

seraphmaycry

What? Why would Dante be 2000 years old? I just said he was born in the 1970s, almost 2000 years after Sparda rebelled against Mundus. Yeah, Eva died when D&V were eight years old, but that doesn't mean the Hell Gate was always open. It might be that somebody was experimenting with opening it, like Agnus was in DMC4, or even Mundus himself. All I know is that in the 1970s everything suddenly turned to ****e again.

if sparda sacrificed Eva "2000 years ago" then eva died 2000 years ago, so Dante can't have been born after, unless sparda sacrificed an old wife then got re-married, unusual to say the least, but totally possible since a, the guy is awesome! and b, he is over 2000!

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
if sparda sacrificed Eva "2000 years ago" then eva died 2000 years ago, so Dante can't have been born after, unless sparda sacrificed an old wife then got re-married, unusual to say the least, but totally possible since a, the guy is awesome! and b, he is over 2000!

Sparda didn't sacrifice Eva, he sacrificed a human priestess (ancestor of Lady) 2000 years ago. Could be that that priestess was a love interest, who knows.

He ruled over the human world at some point, but when was not clearly specified. I did hear it was until he died, so he must have ruled until the 1970s. That, or he was sealed in Hell once and returned in the '70s only to die again -_-

Then he met Eva and married her, and had Dante and Vergil with her in the '70s.
Eva died while protecting the kids in a demon attack.

Last edited:

V

Oldschool DMC fan
There's no evidence I know of in the games that indicated the priestess was his wife (if that had been true and Arkham knew it, he'd have probably said it to Vergil and Dante when he met them - he gloated about just about everything else Sparda did), but it's implied that happened a long time ago so it was not Eva. It's possible the priestess was a love interest. Sparda had extremely long life, it's not unfeasible he got involved romantically with more than one person. . . not unfeasible if it was a love interest she might even have asked him to sacrifice her to save the human world.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
I thought the priestess was an ancestor of Lady.

Arkham:
Two amulets... a set of Sparda's blood. Now I need one more key. He
sacrificed two things to suppress the tremendous force of this tower:
His own Devil's blood, and a mortal priestess.
I needed you, in whose body flows the same blood as the sacrificed
woman. His spell cannot be undone without your blood!

InfernalOverkill

Mors Ante Infamiam
As VB said it was an ancestor of Lady. That's the only reason Arkham didn't kill her, and why Vergil stabbed him - he thought his humanity got the better of him and stopped him killing his daughter, when in reality he spared her to use her to open the gate.

EwadS2342

Sparda didn't sacrificed his wife, if he does in 2000 years ago, the twins won't exist.
Lady is the ancestor of the priestess which Sparda sacrificed to close the Temen-ni-gru.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I mean that Sparda could easily have had more than one wife. He's 2000 years old at least.

The priestess IS an ancestor of Lady.
But she might have been a lover as well.
No-one knows.
Either Sparda killed her against her will or she let him do it to save the world. Considering she's a "priestess" and not an ordinary person I'm assuming she was conveniently in the tower at the time (maybe one of the evil worshippers) or else knew that she was in a particular position to help.

seraphmaycry

Sparda didn't sacrifice Eva, he sacrificed a human priestess (ancestor of Lady) 2000 years ago. Could be that that priestess was a love interest, who knows.

He ruled over the human world at some point, but when was not clearly specified. I did hear it was until he died, so he must have ruled until the 1970s. That, or he was sealed in Hell once and returned in the '70s only to die again -_-

Then he met Eva and married her, and had Dante and Vergil with her in the '70s.
Eva died while protecting the kids in a demon attack.

apologies, it sounded to me like you were stating sparda sacrificed eva.

EwadS2342

Man, I wish Capcom released a DMC game that covers Sparda's story so we can know his actions on sealing the Temen-ni-gru.

Top Bottom