• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

SSStyle Meter Discussion

Should the S rankings decrease faster

• Yes

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • No, its fine

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters

Blacknerd

Now all of us have talked about the combat since day one and most of us have reached a standstill that the combat is good but could be better blah blah

Im here to talk about the games style meter. Now yes its been patched to go back down to S after being idle for some time. However as Ive noted in my video that the meter goes down way too slowly making you feel not as pressued to get SSS. Even after being idle it goes down slowly and in alot of fights ill end up still having the S when the fight starts.

So yes theres my question lets see what you'll think

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I don't think these people are ready. There's too much immaturity from both sides that you can expect a flame war from this point.:|

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
And with your comments no one goes anyone so take that someone else

sorry. I've recently felt like off lost a little faith in the fanbase.

But to this discussions on Style ranking. It would have been nice if the game really made you work for those style points. However there's also the fact that not many newbie players can do the moves that pro players can. So they made it easier. However its not like getting SSS in a DMC game is hard. You just have to do different attacks with the same weapon and not button mash the same attack and there you go; SSS.

scionicspectre

I don't think it's entirely necessary, as the game is crafted in a way that makes it less of an issue- especially if you consider the final score in references to the style meter. Essentially, you still need to work hard to get SSS on a mission, even if you have enough variety to build your meter up to S very quickly. They did tweak it with the updates of course, but it's not 'pandering to noobs' as much as people have been claiming.

I really don't think it's a big deal- the overall score is what will tell the player how much they've achieved. And, if people aren't careful enough to avoid getting hit, they'll screw up no matter how many times they just barely break into SSS. So I'd say the level it's at isn't hurting the game. Just like the old games, the most stylish way to victory won't always generate the most style points, but perhaps more often than before.

I think the real issue is that damage doesn't play a role in the scoring system anymore, so you can take a ton of damage near the beginning or end of a fight, find some green orbs, and it's almost like it never happened. Still, it didn't make the game any less enjoyable for me.

scionicspectre

However its not like getting SSS in a DMC game is hard. You just have to do different attacks with the same weapon and not button mash the same attack and there you go; SSS.

I think he makes a good point. In this game it's a lot easier to pull of a variety of moves than it was previously, so they had to adjust the system to take this into account without over-rewarding players. I think they did a great job of balancing the game considering how godly this Dante is compared to any other action game hero.

Soupie

It's a score multiplier now. You're rewarded with more points if you finish off enemies with certain moves (Trillion Stabs and Kablooey Detonate for instance) which give you a great deal of points for what little is left of enemy's health. Simply having SSS all the time doesn't mean you're going to win on the leader boards either since Demon Evade and Devil Trigger are against you. Enemies would probably get finished quicker than you can collec points. I think it's fair and that the patches to Demon Evade and the Style system were necessary for making it more competitive.

Ruisu

Of course you don't remember me.
Wasn't the style meter a Score multiplier since always? In DMC4, when you are replaying a mission, you get a (very very simple) feedback of your current stylepoints right under the meter, and I do believe you get more of them if you keep the S rank for more time (since S IS the maximum, SS and SSS are within the S rank 'bar meter')

The main change in DmC meter is that now SS and SSS rank's have their own 'bar' to be filled and to decay, so of course it looks like it doesn't drop too fast (and that's saying much, it does drop fast enough, unless you are like, combo'ing 7 or more foes at the same time, otherwise is likely you'll drop to SS right after getting your SSS).

MultiBro

Darkest Dungeon
I give kudos to NT for patching the style system but I personally think it was a bit half assed if they don't do it the whole way by making it decay past S so you are pressured to keep going.

berto

I Saw the Devil
You know, the original DMC was a chalange from the team to players to push themselves. They did it again with Bayonetta. DMC3 is almost the same way. DmC is not, it a game for the masses made to allow everyone to play, unlike the titles I just mentioned, and as a game for the masses it doesn't discurage the average joe who trows tantrums because the game tell them they suck by giving them a letter grade at the end like they were at school. This game hands out rewards so that everyone feels like they are doing well and not alienating the casual gamer that is in it for the short run. Whether this is a good or bad thing is debatable but it's part of the game just the same.

I'd say change it but that would alter the game's philosophy so might as well let them ride it all the way through.

Top Bottom