• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Story ideas for DMC Netflix?

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I do think the interpretation of Dante they go with will be one of the deciding factors on whether long time fans will accept this animated adaptation or not...

Goldsickle

Really not liking the stoic-as-heck Dante in the anime series.

I like the "random job" format, though.
It's kinda like a Witcher III style sub-quest but not playable.

I hope Dante doesn't become too serious.
I like Dante's laid-back, rides-a-rocket-you-shot-at-him-because-he-can attitude from DMC3.

DarkSlayer54

I'll have to give the anime another watch... but I think I would rank the Dante's as: DMC1 > anime > DMC3 > DMC4 > DMC2.

Not a big fan of the DMC3 attitude...

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
What worries me most of all is what they'd do if they chose to adapt one of the games, especially one of the earlier ones as I was watching "Two Best Friends play DMC1" the other day and it really blew my mind that after the first cutscene, Dante doesn't speak to Trish again until like 2/3rds of the way through the game.

An anime based on the games themselves would probably need a lot of filler but without it feeling like padding.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Lain
the Castlevania show wasn't very long so I imagine a DMC show wouldn't be either. S2 had a greater emphasis on the inner workings of Dracula's side (granted maybe too much) so we could see something similar if they adapt 1/4.

It would be interesting to see how they handle Trish. She has interesting ideas and potential but she never came together to me.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
@Lain
the Castlevania show wasn't very long so I imagine a DMC show wouldn't be either. S2 had a greater emphasis on the inner workings of Dracula's side (granted maybe too much) so we could see something similar if they adapt 1/4.

It would be interesting to see how they handle Trish. She has interesting ideas and potential but she never came together to me.
Perhaps. Though I can't quite imagine the idle conversations Mundus and Nelo Angelo would be having as they wait for Dante to reach them. :tongue:

It's one of the reasons why I'd support going Anime-original in terms of plot, since you'd have so much more freedom in handling characters and such which was never the games' strongest point.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
Hey. I haven't posted in a while, but I just finished Castelvania and I'm so OI'HOUWHAOIUGHWPOERJMGVN8OUWEJMO8N HAJP

Anyways, I think in terms of narrative, DMC3 is your best bet in terms of adapting the material the screen. But I also feel like there are elements of DmC that can be used to patch work some of the stuff that doesn't work as well.

First off, as far as lore goes, Sparda betrayed the demon world 2000 years ago, and saved humanity, positioning him as a replacement for the legend of Jesus, and the Judeo/Christian faith. However, since he's closed the main hellgate from the temen-ni-gru using the perfect amulet, there are also a bunch of demons who are trapped in the human world. This would explain the reason for there being so many demons on Earth, and why demon hunters would be necessary. They'd be in search for the perfect amulet, and/or Sparda.

After some centuries pass, Sparda goes into hiding, settles down with a human he falls in love with, they have twin sons, Dante and Vergil, and he splits the perfect amulet in two, giving each half to each son. However, a hoard of demons find and attack Sparda and his family, killing he and his wife, but his 8 year old sons manage to escape together. Dante and Vergil eventually split apart, due to conflicting ideologies. Vergil believes he and Dante are the children of the demon Sparda, and should take on the birthright of leading Hell, because they have the power to do so, but Dante doesn't want to believe this, since they kill demons to survive. He (wants to) believe(s) their father was a mage, who was killed in a demon attack. The last time they see eachother they fought, and Vergil nearly kills him. After this, Dante works his way up the demon hunting ladder, working as a freelance demon killer.

Dante's character would be presented as an adrenaline junkie, who has a hard on for killing demons. This comes from his hatred of demonkind for killing his parents. He knows he's something supernatural, but he doesn't know for a fact that he's half demon. For all he knows (hopes), he's a human who's been magically altered in some way, like a lot of certain people are who grew up around mystical artifacts, and devil bringers. But it becomes abundantly clear that he's a demon once his devil trigger is awakened, which brings him to some issues in self image, and how he hates demons, but he also is one, and how he has to reconcile with that. Dante is a pretty chill guy all things considered. He puts up a calm, laid back, witty front, but it's clear he's a ball of rage, and conflicted emotions behind his eyes.

As for Vergil, he's a power hungry maniac who wants to rule over the demon world, because out of a sense of resentment, he feels as though his father lead to the death of he and his wife by not stepping up, and ruling Hell and Earth, even though he very well could have. And he's doing what he's doing to prove that he can do it, and that he himself isn't powerless or weak. These feelings are brought on from a deep seeded fear, from watching his family die, and feeling helpless to stop it.

Arkham is a religious fanatic, who killed his wife in a ritual gone wrong, while trying to sacrifice her to gain the powers of Sparda. His daughter watches, and resents him for doing what he does, and vows to kill him.

As for the plot, Vergil and Arkham work together to rise Temen-Ni-Gru right outside of Dante's home/unnamed demon hunting agency, and after gaining influence in the demon world, Vergil promises that any demon who can bring him his brother's half o the perfect amulet will have favor in his court, after he's king of Hell. Dante is then forced into a situation where he has to fight his way through the Temen-Ni-Gru, and on his way, he finds the help of another demon hunter named Lady. They raid the demonic tower, and bond over their respective daddy issues, and find Vergil and Arkham. Lady has a great opportunity to kill her father, but she hesitates, allowing him to escape. And Dante's DT is awakened in a fight with Vergil, and he realizes that he can't keep lying to himself, and that he is in fact half demon. This is where season 1 ends.

Season 2 is all about Dante and Lady finding and stopping Arkham, with Dante trying to wrap his head around being a demon, and what that means. Also, Lady has to come to grips with killing her father, even though she hesitated last time, but he's a monster, so he has to die. Also, Vergil starts to crack mentally as the realization that he has to prove himself worthy of being the demon king starts to weigh on him, especially after Dante nearly bested him in their last duel, and just narrowly wins due to him holding back. Arkham is revealed to be the mastermind behind preying on Vergil's overzealousness, knowing he'd be able to get the sons of Sparda in one spot, as well as the whole perfect amulet, but he's beaten by Dante, Vergil, and Lady. Dante and Vergil have one final showdown, because Vergil still wants to open the hellgate, and Dante won't let him. After fighting, and losing while the hellgate Arkham opened begins to close, Vergil pleads Dante to let him die in his father's home, as Dante respects his wishes. Later, Dante and lady meet up, and she helps him properly establish his own demon hunting business, the "Devil May Cry".

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Hey. I haven't posted in a while, but I just finished Castelvania and I'm so OI'HOUWHAOIUGHWPOERJMGVN8OUWEJMO8N HAJP

Anyways, I think in terms of narrative, DMC3 is your best bet in terms of adapting the material the screen. But I also feel like there are elements of DmC that can be used to patch work some of the stuff that doesn't work as well.

First off, as far as lore goes, Sparda betrayed the demon world 2000 years ago, and saved humanity, positioning him as a replacement for the legend of Jesus, and the Judeo/Christian faith. However, since he's closed the main hellgate from the temen-ni-gru using the perfect amulet, there are also a bunch of demons who are trapped in the human world. This would explain the reason for there being so many demons on Earth, and why demon hunters would be necessary. They'd be in search for the perfect amulet, and/or Sparda.

After some centuries pass, Sparda goes into hiding, settles down with a human he falls in love with, they have twin sons, Dante and Vergil, and he splits the perfect amulet in two, giving each half to each son. However, a hoard of demons find and attack Sparda and his family, killing he and his wife, but his 8 year old sons manage to escape together. Dante and Vergil eventually split apart, due to conflicting ideologies. Vergil believes he and Dante are the children of the demon Sparda, and should take on the birthright of leading Hell, because they have the power to do so, but Dante doesn't want to believe this, since they kill demons to survive. He (wants to) believe(s) their father was a mage, who was killed in a demon attack. The last time they see eachother they fought, and Vergil nearly kills him. After this, Dante works his way up the demon hunting ladder, working as a freelance demon killer.

Dante's character would be presented as an adrenaline junkie, who has a hard on for killing demons. This comes from his hatred of demonkind for killing his parents. He knows he's something supernatural, but he doesn't know for a fact that he's half demon. For all he knows (hopes), he's a human who's been magically altered in some way, like a lot of certain people are who grew up around mystical artifacts, and devil bringers. But it becomes abundantly clear that he's a demon once his devil trigger is awakened, which brings him to some issues in self image, and how he hates demons, but he also is one, and how he has to reconcile with that. Dante is a pretty chill guy all things considered. He puts up a calm, laid back, witty front, but it's clear he's a ball of rage, and conflicted emotions behind his eyes.

As for Vergil, he's a power hungry maniac who wants to rule over the demon world, because out of a sense of resentment, he feels as though his father lead to the death of he and his wife by not stepping up, and ruling Hell and Earth, even though he very well could have. And he's doing what he's doing to prove that he can do it, and that he himself isn't powerless or weak. These feelings are brought on from a deep seeded fear, from watching his family die, and feeling helpless to stop it.

Arkham is a religious fanatic, who killed his wife in a ritual gone wrong, while trying to sacrifice her to gain the powers of Sparda. His daughter watches, and resents him for doing what he does, and vows to kill him.

As for the plot, Vergil and Arkham work together to rise Temen-Ni-Gru right outside of Dante's home/unnamed demon hunting agency, and after gaining influence in the demon world, Vergil promises that any demon who can bring him his brother's half o the perfect amulet will have favor in his court, after he's king of Hell. Dante is then forced into a situation where he has to fight his way through the Temen-Ni-Gru, and on his way, he finds the help of another demon hunter named Lady. They raid the demonic tower, and bond over their respective daddy issues, and find Vergil and Arkham. Lady has a great opportunity to kill her father, but she hesitates, allowing him to escape. And Dante's DT is awakened in a fight with Vergil, and he realizes that he can't keep lying to himself, and that he is in fact half demon. This is where season 1 ends.

Season 2 is all about Dante and Lady finding and stopping Arkham, with Dante trying to wrap his head around being a demon, and what that means. Also, Lady has to come to grips with killing her father, even though she hesitated last time, but he's a monster, so he has to die. Also, Vergil starts to crack mentally as the realization that he has to prove himself worthy of being the demon king starts to weigh on him, especially after Dante nearly bested him in their last duel, and just narrowly wins due to him holding back. Arkham is revealed to be the mastermind behind preying on Vergil's overzealousness, knowing he'd be able to get the sons of Sparda in one spot, as well as the whole perfect amulet, but he's beaten by Dante, Vergil, and Lady. Dante and Vergil have one final showdown, because Vergil still wants to open the hellgate, and Dante won't let him. After fighting, and losing while the hellgate Arkham opened begins to close, Vergil pleads Dante to let him die in his father's home, as Dante respects his wishes. Later, Dante and lady meet up, and she helps him properly establish his own demon hunting business, the "Devil May Cry".

Sounds interesting. Though I don't like the idea of Sparda replacing Jesus. I'd rather he's chosen as an agent of Christ who shows him how humanity is a beautiful creation and turns against his own kind for God and humanity.

Plus how would you explain DMC1, 2 & 4? Both two & four need polishing.

Reactions: Jak

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
Sounds interesting. Though I don't like the idea of Sparda replacing Jesus. I'd rather he's chosen as an agent of Christ who shows him how humanity is a beautiful creation and turns against his own kind for God and humanity.

Plus how would you explain DMC1, 2 & 4? Both two & four need polishing.
The reason I have Sparda replace conventional religion is because in DMC4, that's how his legend seems to be presented. And I think it would be interesting the play with the idea of religious dogmatism, and counter religion, and in making Sparda a Christ-like analogy, you can do a fun twist on how people in the 21st century reject Sparda, like Christianity, as well as other popular western faiths which derive from it, are popularly hated on due to misrepresentation of that figurehead.

As for DMC2, I wouldn't do anything with, because I don't know how I'd go about integrating it into the canon. But I'd adapt DMC3, DMC1, and DMC4.

Picard

Starfleet Demon
I'd prefer not to have an adaptation of the game. Rather, to quote myself: "Tie-in manga/anime that would cover the time before DMC4 and between DMC4 and DMC5. I would like to see how both Dante and Nero run their demon-hunting business, could be done as jutaposition, or one season covering Dante and another Nero. I'd especially like to see the very beginnings of Nero's business, did Dante have any influence on his decision beyond the events of DMC4. Anime could also expand on relationship between Nero, Credo and Kyrie, covering perhaps Nero's childhood." Overall, I would prefer anime to cover events between the games, and potentially before them as well.

That being said, there are other possibilities as well. It would also be interesting to know more about Sanctus' past and motivations, more about Vergil, as well as details about the demonic world. Covering Vergil in Hell as well, perhaps. To expand on the above, I would also like to see Nero's life from childhood, how and when did he decide to join the Order (why is already known), more about Credo, Kyrie and their parents.

Also perhaps combine with ideas that were pitched for DMC4. Nero was originally supposed to be a Sherlock Holmes-style detective (if probably not as super-smart) and game more of a puzzle. So maybe it would be good to have his demon-hunting business combined with detective work.

Lastly, maybe cover Sparda's rebellion.

EDIT:
The reason I have Sparda replace conventional religion is because in DMC4, that's how his legend seems to be presented. And I think it would be interesting the play with the idea of religious dogmatism, and counter religion, and in making Sparda a Christ-like analogy, you can do a fun twist on how people in the 21st century reject Sparda, like Christianity, as well as other popular western faiths which derive from it, are popularly hated on due to misrepresentation of that figurehead.

As for DMC2, I wouldn't do anything with, because I don't know how I'd go about integrating it into the canon. But I'd adapt DMC3, DMC1, and DMC4.

He definitely is a Jesus-like figure in DMC4. However, DMC4 specifically covers Fortuna, which is ruled by the Order of the Sword. Order of the Sword itself worships Sparda, but that seems to be a natural extension of their quest to defend humanity from Demons. But interesting idea for sure.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
There’s a lot of scope to work with but in my opinion the story should begin with flashbacks showing Dante and Vergil as brothers and just a quick brief summary as to why Dante is after Mundus and then go into random jobs showing Dante gathering clues and pieces of information. You could even change the story slightly and take inspiration from DmC. I don’t know I’m just spitballing here.

Picard

Starfleet Demon
Well, those are some good spitballs. Anyway, anime probably should not immediately jump into main plot right away - introduce the characters first, plot second, as it will likely be the first introduction to franchise for many people. Maybe reveal things bit by bit, as you said, showing Dante gathering clues.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Netflix's Castlevania is a loose adaptation of Castlevania 3(Trevor's debut) with an expanded focus. So I can see them doing something similar for the DMC one.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Gah, the more I think about this topic the more I'm torn. Considering Castlevania, it feels obvious that they'd simply adapt one of the games but over time I'm liking that idea less and less. I can't say that I'd care to sit through an anime of the games since we have the games already and anime adaptations of video games don't always have the greatest track record.

I really do wish that they could do something new and fresh that capitalises on the success of 5, but I'm painfully aware that favouring nostalgia is much more likely to bring in the cash that Capcom would want. :unsure:

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Well since the first anime covered Abigail in the events after mallet island, the new one could cover the years of gaps between games that aren't properly covered

Time between 1-2, 2-4 and 4-5

Since the details are vague on those periods , you could write new content for it to fill it

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Lain
Honestly, I could see it being a new take and it is different from the classic or the NT stuff. Like how the Young Justice cartoon is different from the Justice League cartoon or the DTV or the stuff on CW.

Plus most DMC spinoffs tend to be standalone so they could follow that trend.

Honestly i prefer something in the middle or something that could be have new material and old.

Last edited:

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
I hope they can remake DMC1, 2 & 4. Even looking into Dante & Vergil's childhood. And Sparda for the first time.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I'd still wanna see my V spinoff come to fruition, we would just keep how he came back as a secret from his new friends/the audience.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
I'd still wanna see my V spinoff come to fruition, we would just keep how he came back as a secret from his new friends/the audience.

V's not coming back. Not physically. He'll just appear in Vergil's conscience.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
If I had to guess it would be a similar vein to the Castlevania game either with starting at 1 and incorporating things from the first DMC novel, or start at 3 since it's probably the most popular.

Top Bottom