• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
As we probably all heard, the new Super Smash Bros. trailer was shown today. Here it is:

Outside of Megaman and the Villager from Animal Crossing, we're seeing familiar faces with Mario, Link, Pikachu, Pit, Samus, Bowser, Donkey Kong, and Fox (and Kirby).

Mario returns looking snappy as he always does and he looks less "realistic" with his clothes as he did in Brawl, instead Mario has a Galaxy-feel to him.

Link. It seems like they fused his Twilight Princess appearance with his Skyward Sword appearance - not totally realistic nor painted/cel-shaded -, which to me is a shame since it appears so far that he'll more or less function as he did in Brawl. Remember when Fox always had his blaster out? Well, this might be a placeholder or it might be the final thing. Personally, I don't like it since his Skyward Sword form could have added a lot of interesting mechanics for Link. The Skyward Strike, the parachute, whip, bomb rolling, new bow model, and overall mobility since Link could sprint and wall run in Skyward Sword. With the tier list and Link constantly being on the bottom, I had hoped that a Skyward Sword influence could have made Link more capable, but hey, it's a game and when played for fun nothing matters except fun. And I wished that Link could move while using his bow...

Fox has no new appearance except for looking furrier. I can't say much since Fox hasn't had a recent game since Command and the 64 3DS remake.

Pikachu is Pikachu, do I need to say anything? Fine... Pika-pika.

Pit looks kind of looks like his Kid Icarus Uprising form, like more cartoony than his more realistic form in Brawl. Otherwise, Pit hasn't changed that much. His Up-B, the flying move, I think is faster now instead of the hiccup-y version in Brawl.

Bowser like Mario, appears to be based on his recent Galaxy, Super Mario Bros. U, etc. forms instead of that sort of creepy, realistic turtle in Brawl. And like some of the others, not much to say. After looking at his "section" in the video, Bowser seem more agile. He did a drop kick which I think Bowser was never capable of in the past Super Smash Bros. Animations have changed a bit too. This might mark the reign of Bowser... finally for him. After seeing what Bowser was capable of in Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, Galaxy, his recent titles, I didn't like how Bowser was in Melee and Brawl, this slow, clunky villain who had terrible recoveries. So he's heavy, so what? Now Bowser appears to be more of a powerhouse similar to his Mario appearances instead of a walking boulder.

Donkey Kong, same as the others, less furry I think, there wasn't much video time and I think there are some images of him floating about. His Up-B is now angled instead of being parallel to the ground now.

Samus has changed a lot compared to the past Super Smash Bros. Her power suit looks like the one from Other M, her recent game. In the past Super Smash Bros. she always looked like she was from Super Metroid or something. None of her appearances were based on recent games, like Brawl could have used her Prime 3 Varia Suit or something, but nope, Samus was still in her Super Metroid suit. Reason I'm complaining is that her Prime suits were so sleek and slick. Not only that, Samus might be as quick as she was in Other M, maybe her move might be based on the combat that Team Ninja was a part of with Other M. In other words, Samus might be slow on foot, but her attacks will be quick and brutal. So yea to Samus getting a makeover with her Other M version of the Power Suit and maybe fighting style!

Edit: Forgot about our lovable, pink marshmallow: Kirby.

Courtesy of Joystiq, they have 108 screenshots of the new Super Smash Bros. Enjoy and eat you hearts out my friends!
Here's the link: http://www.joystiq.com/screenshots/super-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds-e3-2013/5955628/#/0

Also, the 3DS version seems more cel-shaded and cartoony compared to the Wii U version. So technically you're getting two, but similar games. One is more "fun" on the eyes and the other is your ol' regular Smash Bros.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
Not really that excited to be honest, i reckon this was Capcom's "big surprise" which isn't really "Capcom's" per se as it's more Nintendo. Well done Capcom, you've proven how lazy you are ONCE again "Oh we can't be arsed to make a Megaman game, let's get Nintendo to do it for us!"

Never really that excited for Smash anymore since Brawl, tourny fags have ruined the game as they do every other fighter anyway.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Not really that excited to be honest, i reckon this was Capcom's "big surprise" which isn't really "Capcom's" per se as it's more Nintendo. Well done Capcom, you've proven how lazy you are ONCE again "Oh we can't be arsed to make a Megaman game, let's get Nintendo to do it for us!"

Never really that excited for Smash anymore since Brawl, tourny fags have ruined the game as they do every other fighter anyway.

And this is why they call King of Fighters: King of Fighters. Of all the fighting games I know, KoF doesn't really have a tier list. In other words if your favorite character is King, then you can use King whenever you want without having to deal with bans, match ups, etc. Although K' does have some advantages, they're not as broken like with other characters in other games. Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and it's Ultimate version suffer from tier lists where some characters just seem there as a cool name and character, outside of that, they're not that usable in a competitive aspect. Street Fighter might have this, though I'm not sure. Soul Calibur is sort of similar to KoF I think were all characters are usable, so long as you're good at them except for Algol in SCIV who was basically the boss character people could unlock. Thing is balancing takes time and if a game has a large roster like Super Smash Bros. Brawl and (U)MvC3 did, there's probably going to be issues with balancing. It's either balance a game and waste time or add a ton of fan favorites and balance them as much as possible.

It's just that Super Smash Bros. wasn't that serious to begin with - same thing with Playstation All Stars. But anything can be made serious and guess who did for SSB? The fans.

I really liked the SSB series because they weren't serious. It was just a fun game with play with friends or just by yourself unlike other games that were fun only through certain aspects of the game. Borderlands and collecting, Assassin's Creed and parkour, Batman and being Batman, Metal Gear and stealth, etc. SSB on a whole was just pure fun. That and it introduced me to a ton of titles I have never bothered with or heard of. Oh, and I can kick Mario's ass with Luigi as many times I want without any consequences. Screw you, Mario for taking Luigi's spotlight! Since this is Luigi's year, I'm going to beat up Mario 10 to the 13th times! MUHAHAHAHAHA... Anyway, I digress.

Though this seems like just a continuation or the Wii U and 3DS version of Brawl, so far. Unless something radical is introduced it'll just be another SSB unlike the transition from SSB to Melee to Brawl.

Character-wise, I think there might be problems with the Fire Emblem, Zelda, and maybe Metal Gear characters if any Metal Gear characters stay. Fire Emblem has a problem since Lucina is a basically a female Marth. Chrom is the new star and most recent protagonist of Fire Emblem and in a way, he'd be a more stronger and slower Marth, but faster than the brute they made Ike in Brawl. People would probably petition for Gregor to be in. Lyn would be cool, but she already made an appearance as an Assist Trophy. If Marth stays... will he speak English? Will he look like his DS incarnations? What about Ike? Yeah, complicated. Zelda, the character, in Skyward Sword would be less combative than her Twilight Princess form, the most badass form in my opinion. Impa could be Shiek's substitute, but fans will probably complain... Ganondorf wasn't in Skyward Sword, Demise, his origin, was. So will Demise/Ganondorf be a sword-toting demon? What about a Wind Waker incarnation? Then you have the Snakes. Solid Snake's recent appearance was Old Snake. Grumpy with greater technology than Solid Snake in Brawl who was a fusion of Big Boss and Solid Snake. Big Boss, as we seen in MGSV isn't exactly "friendly" to anyone. His Ground Zeroes form would be cool, but it seemed like Big Boss went from non-lethal agent to a killer machine. Raiden probably would have to be toned down considering his Jack the Ripper persona popping up from time to time. Oh well, rambles and whatnot.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
New stuff from the creator, Masahiro Sakurai: the differences between the 3DS version and Wii U version.

Besides the graphical and art styles; 3DS is more cartoon-y, Wii U is more cel-shaded. But the most important thing is that even though the two are the "same" game, they're not. The 3DS will have different stages - handheld themed - than the Wii U - console themed. Also, hell yeah, for Samus and Bowser getting makeovers in terms of combat and appearance. Watch it all for the full information.

Edit: And so it appears that Link is basically the same from Brawl... Come on, man! Link has been in the bottom tier for three consecutive games; all of the Super Smash Bros. game to date. That's just sad...

Another edit: Spelt the creator's name wrong... So much shame...

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Wii Fit Instructor...say what?

Yeah, same here, but think about it. It's someone unexpected compared to say the Villager from Animal Crossing. Heck, Megaman was unexpected, but the Wii Fit Instructor? Really? Like whoa, man. Now I want more surprises, like introduce one of the characters from The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Xenoblade Chronicles, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, a Nintendog, Paper Mario characters, Prince Peasley from Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Samuel Rodrigues, Batman, somebody who isn't out of the blue! And no, Sonic, you've already been the guy out of the blue. Like Dark Samus, Raiden, Waluigi, Zant, Ghirahim, Vaati, Rosalina, Impa, Tails, Kumatora, Duster, Meryl, Chrom, Gregor, Hector, Lyn, Lucina, Severa, and Groose would all be expected. But a Pianta, a random Blooper like Blooey the Blooper, the Hero of Light from Final Fantasy 1, Garland, Bayonetta - considering the M-rating compared to Metal Gear's M-rating - or that ghost dog from Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon would be unexpected. Hell, Sora would be unexpected since only Chains of Memories, 358/2 Days, and Dream Drop Distance were on Nintendo systems. But the Wii Fit Instructor? Really? Hey, how about we have Reggie Fils-Aime in the game so we can play as our favorite Nintendo guy. My body (and mind) are not ready!

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Reggie in a fundoshi = nobody's body will be ready

P.S. Don't google it if you're outside.

Damn my curiosity...

Edit: Saw the fundoshi, but will not see Reggie in it.

Heh, this really reminds me when Super Smash Bros. Brawl was in development and I would check their website everyday for new information. Well guess what, here's the official (NA) website of the new Super Smash Bros: http://www.smashbros.com/us/
And Samus's awesome new look.
screen-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Remember tripping in Super Smash Bros. Brawl?
fkod-ssb-tripping-01-16567049360219612591293710915360.jpg

Guess what? It's gone. According to an interview conducted by Kotaku, No More Tripping In The New Smash Bros, Masahiro Sakurai confirmed that tripping will not return.

Another part of the interview done by Kotaku's Jason Schreier, The Next Smash Bros. Will Balance Casual and Hardcore, Creators Say, had Masahiro Sakurai stating that he wanted the new game to be between Melee and Brawl in terms of casual and hardcore. I never understood what was so hardcore about Melee or casual about Brawl, but that might just be competitive players talking or it might actually be an important concept about the two. Anyone have anything about this? I just thought of both as fun games, nothing more. Oh, and not a lot of third party characters will appear in this game. Two (Solid Snake and Sonic) wasn't a lot to begin with. We already have one, Megaman, so what counts as "a lot", that's up to Masahiro Sakurai and his team to decide along with the third-party developers; I remember Kojima saying he wanted Snake to be in a Smash Bros. game and Sega and Sonic, I don't remember why, maybe friendly-relations? By the way, I think these are snippets of the full interview Schreier did, so don't think that's all the news on Smash Bros. for now.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Joystiq reports: No cross-platform play for Smash Bros on 3DS and Wii U

Like Masahiro Sakurai said in an earlier interview about the 3DS and Wii U versions having different stages, the two will interact with each other, but you can't play against your friends on the Wii U when you're playing on the 3DS. It's probably the different coding and the limitations behind each system. Oh, cool stage in the Wii U version, but something about it might not make it possible for the 3DS and vice versa. I wonder if this throws out "cross-buy" as something that Nintendo could do for some games. Oh well, they're the same games, but different at the same time. Cool and annoying, huh?

Also, Sakurai said that there will be character customization and you'll be able to transfer it from the 3DS to the Wii U - nothing was said about Wii U to 3DS, assumed possible -, but what customization is not known since he said that costumes aren't part of the customization. Does custom colors count?

Meg

You know what blows my mind? People saying they know something is against the rules but then do it anyway.

You can certainly make a new thread for this bit of info. Be a lot quicker than hunting down a thread that has been dead for over two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom