• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The beginning of the end for COD?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I dunno about you but I feel tough times are ahead for COD. Between the massive amount of manure thrown at this year's COD trailer and the pretty much universal excitement towards Battlefield 1, which seems to even overshadow the MW1 remaster, I predict COD won't do as well this year as it did in the past.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Although there has been a large dislike campaign on their trailers on Youtube I think people will still buy it. Currently only way to get the MW1 remaster is to purchase Infinite Warfare so that alone will push sales.

Meg

I'm pretty sure the original Black Ops got a ton of crap when it was first announced and still went on to sell like hotcakes.

Dark Drakan

Admin
I'm pretty sure the original Black Ops got a ton of crap when it was first announced and still went on to sell like hotcakes.

Seems to get more and more negative press every year but they repeatedly still broke sales records so although there could be a chance of a dip in sales i still think it will sell like hotcakes again. The sales statistics make for an interesting read (stats only listed up until November 1st, 2015).

Call of Duty 1,750,000
Call of Duty 2 2,500,000
Call of Duty 3 1,250,000
Call of Duty 4 : Modern Warfare 13,500,000
Call of Duty : Modern Warfare 2 23,000,000
Call of Duty : Modern Warfare 3 26,500,000

Call of Duty : World at War 11,000,000
Call of Duty : Black Ops 21,600,000
Call of Duty : Black Ops 2 24,400,000
Call of Duty : Ghosts 16,500,000

Call of Duty : Black Ops 3 4,500,000 *Initial Estimate by Activision*

Black Ops III went on to sell around 22 million units.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Oh how I wish it was the end of this series. But alas , both will go on to sell like hotcakes unfortunately.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
11, 23, 26 mil units? wtf? how can that sell easily? japanese devs should start making fps games

Triggerpigking

I lost interest in the series after black ops(which imo was actually an amazing game), ghosts was plain insulting and while it looks like they are atleast attempting new things, it's not really done anything to draw me back in.
Same goes for battlefield really(I adore Bad company 2 but after that they fast destroyed the series for me), I love the ww1 idea but it's a battlefield game so I doubt they'll do much different from the norm, ww1 was a very different era of combat and I doubt they'll do it justice.

berto

I Saw the Devil
CoD is like the transformers movies, they keep targeting a young audience and since there will always be those jack ass kids who are still not tired of the formula because it's only their second or 3rd go they keep making money. If the numbers are dwindling it might be because they over saturated the market enough to start seeing the decline.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Well well..

https://www.chart-track.co.uk/?i=2547&s=1111

Almost 50% less sales than its predecessor is something.

Still sold well when compared to other titles, though PC release has been a total joke with refunds on Windows Store and Steam. Its not good reading for them that its sold less than predecessors but that trend has been happening for some time and its still selling well overall, but its not even in top 20 on Steam.

cod-steam.png

Shame to see what Activision have done to the IP on PC, I played the originals on PC for YEARS and now people arent bothering almost immediately after release & PC is afterthought.​

Dark Drakan

Admin
Yeah but the thread title is "The beginning of the end". This is exactly what I meant. The start of a decline. And what a start, with that -50%.

Been going this way for a while but CoD sold such insane numbers over the years that even a 50% reduction in sales can still allow it to top the sales charts above all other titles so they wont be overly worried just yet. If trend continues however and they dont sell more than other titles soon then alarm bells may start to ring.

This sums it up quite well though I have to say:

06e8a4d4db.jpg

Skagewid

I've never interested of CoD series , but I know that the last chapters are " horrible " . The few people that I know and play to CoD were stopped to the first chapters.

Top Bottom