• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Horror element from Devil May Cry....

phoenix-force411

I don't know about you guys, but I really loved that horror element within Devil May Cry. It had that eerie element where it had ominous music and some scary enemy designs such as that bloody horned goat skull head monster with the big scissor/scythe...or that shadow cougar(I think it was called Phantom). They were pretty scary especially in the darker areas. I was a bit sadden that the aspect couldn't be kept because the games were becomin' action based games.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Phantom is actually the lava spider boss. The cats were actually called Shadow, and the other demons you refer to are Sin Scissors and Sin Scythe.

But yes, the first Devil May Cry did have that eerie sense of foreboding to it. It was enjoyable in many respects, but I think most people who like the first game praise the enemy and level design most of all.

That being said, Devil May Cry was originally intended to be Resident Evil 4-long before the actual RE4 came out. It changed to Devil May Cry, and thus the franchise was born.

There's nothing wrong with the series becoming more action-based, but I do agree that it would have been nice for them to keep at least some of the darker themes for certain areas and enemies.

Oh, well. *Shrug* I still love the franchise, warts and all. :)

berto

I Saw the Devil
...or that shadow cougar(I think it was called Phantom).
It was called Shadow, bro, Phantom was the lava spider.

But, yes, I love the atmosphere in DMC, it's one of the reasons I still play it. Add a layer to it. Where in most settings like this the protagonist facing demons shift the tone to be more even, since he's a powered character they drop all horror elements and focus on the action. Here, though, the creatures still have a horror survival air to them, they are still frightening creatures you might see in more horror oriented media rather than action. The setting also has an attitude that supports this, it doesn't relent in letting you know that these are not supernatural fighters, warriors, or soldiers, they are malicious creatures of demonic origin and intent, almost feral.

Kaim Argonar

The horror is what I kind of want to see most again (if they get around to a fifth installment).

The ambiance of being alone but not really, supplied some great chilling moments that only the first game can offer. I think DMC2 had a fantastic atmosphere to, almost comparable to it's old brother. DMC3 is in the same boat I think but Dante was a lot more sarcastic in DMC3 and that helped even the tone a bit. DMC4 and DmC unfortunately didn't have much of it to me. DMC4 had a more white room type ambiance while DmC bloomed intense orange and blues everywhere in an modern world (limbo looked cool though). I hope the Castilvania influence shines through in the future of Devil May Cry, once more.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
while DmC bloomed intense orange and blues everywhere...

^ I get the distinct impression someone else has watched The Gaming Brit's review. If not, it's one hell of a coincidence that you nearly quoted him, though he's not the only one who would have noticed things like that...but the wording; I don't know of anyone else who said it quite like that.

Not criticizing, just an observation. :wink:

If there ever is a fifth installment, I hope they bring back some of that chilling horror, as well. Though I still quite liked the feel of 3 and 4, personally.

Kaim Argonar

^ I get the distinct impression someone else has watched The Gaming Brit's review. If not, it's one hell of a coincidence that you nearly quoted him, though he's not the only one who would have noticed things like that...but the wording; I don't know of anyone else who said it quite like that.

Not criticizing, just an observation. :wink:

If there ever is a fifth installment, I hope they bring back some of that chilling horror, as well. Though I still quite liked the feel of 3 and 4, personally.
Lol seriously? I've actually never heard of the Gaming Brit but if he/she has said it before me then I say kudos to them for thinking so alike. :laugh: It was actually something I just recently noticed on another playthrough before I let my cousin have the game.

If anything I do like the atmosphere of all the Devil May Cry games as they all have their place somewhere in the series. That includes 3 and 4's.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Lol seriously? I've actually never heard of the Gaming Brit but if he/she has said it before me then I say kudos to them for thinking so alike. :laugh: It was actually something I just recently noticed on another playthrough before I let my cousin have the game.

If anything I do like the atmosphere of all the Devil May Cry games as they all have their place somewhere in the series. That includes 3 and 4's.

Lol! I kid you not, he said the exact same thing about it blooming intense blues and oranges (giving him eyestrain at times). That is pretty funny; small world. :p

But yes, I think they all bring something to the table, as well.

AlastorSword

“Must not sleep... must warn others."
Lol! I kid you not, he said the exact same thing about it blooming intense blues and oranges (giving him eyestrain at times). That is pretty funny; small world. :p

But yes, I think they all bring something to the table, as well.
I love the Gaming Brits reviews :D He captured my distaste for Metroid Other M perfectly.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I love the Gaming Brits reviews :D He captured my distaste for Metroid Other M perfectly.

That was one of the few where he wasn't being funny, either. He was really put off by it, and I can see why; what they did to Samus in that game was disgraceful. :facepalm:

But yes, I love his videos, too. (He and HyperBitHero have done playthroughs of DMC1 and other stuff as well on a shared channel; it's pretty amusing, if not a little corny at times).

AlastorSword

“Must not sleep... must warn others."
That was one of the few where he wasn't being funny, either. He was really put off by it, and I can see why; what they did to Samus in that game was disgraceful. :facepalm:

But yes, I love his videos, too. (He and HyperBitHero have done playthroughs of DMC1 and other stuff as well on a shared channel; it's pretty amusing, if not a little corny at times).
Indeed though I still did have a good laugh while he remained credible. I agree that game did not do Samus justice and it's a shame >_<

I'll have to look some of the up then. I personally don't mind corniness :p

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I don't know about you guys, but I really loved that horror element within Devil May Cry. It had that eerie element where it had ominous music and some scary enemy designs such as that bloody horned goat skull head monster with the big scissor/scythe...or that shadow cougar(I think it was called Phantom). They were pretty scary especially in the darker areas. I was a bit sadden that the aspect couldn't be kept because the games were becomin' action based games.
Agree with you 100% buddy! i love DMC 1 mostly for its "resident evilish" unsettling atmosphere&ambient music almost all the sequels lack that.

IMO DMC1 is still best in the series,its the pioneer of 3d hack'n'slash games which still holds up to this day.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
DMC1 style environment, music, and general atmosphere, DMC2 costume, DMC3 amount of melee weapons/firearms [with the choice to equip 2-3 at a time], DMC4 combat, DmC's openness, DMD'd LDK mode. Where do I throw my money to make this happen?

I don't know, but when you figure it out, let me know, and I'll throw mine onto the pile, as well.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
DMC1 style environment, music, and general atmosphere, DMC2 costume, DMC3 amount of melee weapons/firearms [with the choice to equip 2-3 at a time], DMC4 combat, DmC's openness, DMD'd LDK mode. Where do I throw my money to make this happen?

If they made DMC5 like this and added new style moves to the on the fly style and dante took back yamato and learned to judgement cut nd other moves then it would be so epic i would get a DMC5 for life tattoo on my ass cheek

TheManWhoMakesDevilsCry

Devil May Cry's a rockin' baby, yeah!
The horror elements from the first game are why it is my favorite in the series. I wish the rest of the games in the series had kept this. I also miss having to explore to find out where to go next. I though that was fun too.

Top Bottom