• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction Review (Xbox 360)

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Splinter Cell series are one of my favourite Western game series. In this latest installment, there are several radical changes from the previous Splinter Cell games. So how good is this game?

Storyline

939336_20100316_screen003.jpg

Sam Fisher is back, with more anger and to seek out for the mystery of his daughter's death.​

The story takes place after the events of Splinter Cell: Double Agent. Victor Coste was captured by an unknown organization and was forced to be interrogated by them. Victor Coste recalls the events that happen in Splinter Cell: Conviction, where Sam Fisher, an ex-agent of Third Echelon, sought the truth of his daughter's death.

I love how the story told by Victor Coste. It brings much more dramatic and better storytelling than previous Sam Fisher games. There are some crazy revelations in this game that may surprises you, but some may not.

Every characters have their own specialized roles, but Sam Fisher's tale is the most noteworthy one. With great voice acting by Micheal Ironside, Sam Fisher is much more realistic character.

Gameplay

939336_20100413_screen016.jpg

It is much faster paced than previous Splinter Cell games, emphasizing on taking out enemies with aggressiveness instead of stealth.

The gameplay has few differences than the previous Splinter Cell games. Sam has less platforming moves, he does not have any close combat moves other than a simple hand to hand kill, he moves faster, and he has the useful plus cool ability called Mark and Execute.

939336_20100413_screen019.jpg

Mark and Execute allows you to kill multiple enemies at the same time. Use it if you are cornered by many enemies or in harder difficulties.​

Mark and Execute is a new feature introduced in this game. This allows you to kill up to 5 enemies at the same time, which saves time and prevents detection. However, in order to do so, you need to execute a Hand to Hand Kill on an enemy. Only by doing this it allows you to Mark and Execute your enemies. After that, you need to Mark (RS Button) an enemy or more of it, then use the Execution button (Y Button) to kill them. However, you need to make sure in your weapon's range, as all weapons have different ranges. Also, Mark and Execute can only be used once. In order to use it again, you need to execute Hand to Hand Kill on an enemy again.

939336_20100409_screen004.jpg

Choose and upgrade your weapons wisely. Each weapons have different stats, and each weapons have their own Mark and Execute hits.

By completing challenges in this game, you can earn Points to upgrade your weapons. Some challenges can be difficult, and some are easy. They have enough variety which allows you to choose which challenges are easier to do. For example, by killing 3 enemies by using Mark and Execute, you can earn 300 Points. All weapons have different upgrades, such as allows your rifle to have a scope, ammo increase, and etc.

Each weapons allows your Mark and Execute to hit a certain numbers of enemies. For example, Handgun A allows you to Mark and Execute up to 3 enemies, whereas Handgun B allows you to Mark and Execute up to 5 enemies. However, Handgun A has more firepower and range compared with Handgun B, therefore making it much useful during gunfights. So, it is up to you which one is better. More Execute and Mark kills, or more ammo and firepower.

Sam Fisher also can equip gadgets, such as Flashbangs, Frag Grenades, etc. Using your gadgets effectively allows you to progress in levels easier and faster.

939336_20100409_screen022.jpg

Hand To Hand Kills are awesome to execute. They are varied, and every time you press the button it will be a different move.​

The progression in this game are quite simple. There are around 10 levels, and most of it are pretty short. You have certain objectives in each level that you need to complete, and some levels are quite difficult, especially in harder difficulties.

In previous Splinter Cell games, stealth is the ultimate law in the game. If detected, you are in big trouble. But in this game, stealth is toned down significantly, but it is still the best way to take out your enemies. This is where Hand To Hand Kills come in handy. There is one level that requires you to infiltrate without detection. If you are detected, game over.

By pressing the B button, you can execute a Hand To Hand Kill on an enemy. This is an effective way to take down your enemies in stealth. If you press and hold the B button, you can use that enemy as your human shield, which is useful when there are a lot of enemies around.

There is another new feature called Last Known Position. If you have been detected by enemies and you run away, there will be some kind of a shadow that will be displayed at your previous location. If they get close to it, they will check if you are around. Use this chance to kill him, or hide in case there are more than one enemies around.

You can also kill an enemy from a higher location, from pipes, or from ledges. Doing this will also grants you a chance to use Mark and Execute.

939336_20100409_screen018.jpg

Light and shadow play an important part in this game. Hide in shadows to avoid detection.​

When you are hiding in the shadows, the screen will become black and white, which means that you are completely hidden. There are many dark spots that allows you to hide, so use it to your advantage. By doing this, you can kill your enemies more stealthily.

However, there are some areas where there are lights around. Shooting them can be meaningful, but enemies may be aware that you are around and will use flashlights to search and kill you. Some lights have switches, so it may be best to turn it off, lure an enemy to it, and kill him quickly. Or you can destroy the switch, so that the lights can't be turned on anymore.

939336_20100316_screen004.jpg

Interrogations by Sam Fisher are violent, aggressive, and bloody. Too bad there ain't more of interrogation scenes in this game.

At certain levels, you need to interrogate a certain person in order to extract some information from him. You can use the environment in order to interrogate your target, like smashing him on the wall, throw him on the ground and kick him on the face, etc.

The A.I in this game is very smart, especially in higher difficulties. Once they know you are around, they will sweep the area and look for you. If the area is dark, they will use flashlights to look for you. Also, no hiding places are safe, as they will thoroughly check the area. They will check at every corners, windows, and etc, so it is imperative for you take out them fast and keep moving to avoid getting yourself killed. I would dare say that the A.I of the enemies in this game can be compared with Batman: Arkham Asylum's, as both enemies' A.I. are very smart and adaptable.

If you have taken damage during an unavoidable gunfight, take cover and wait for a while to wait your health regenerates. As many other action games, this feature is taken from Gears of War games.

With this many new additional cool features, this game is awesome. My complaints for this game is for the rather short campaign, and lesser stealth options. You can complete this game within a day if you are good enough, or two if you take things slowly. You don't have much stealth options to play in this game, like hiding in special spots, and etc. However, this game has user friendly controls, where newcomers can adapt to this game easily, compared with Chaos Theory and Pandora's Tomorrow. Other than that, the gameplay in this game is awesome.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Graphics

939336_20100409_screen019.jpg

Great graphics. Best looking Splinter Cell game, in my opinion.​

This game has an amazing graphics, with great and detailed characters as well as cool environments. Sam Fisher looks awesome in this game, and you can see how detailed his appearance in this game compared with other games.

The environments also looked awesome, with great details on it, such as cracked walls, etc.

Sound

939336_20100409_screen030.jpg

Awesome voice acting, especially by Michael Ironside. Great electronic and epic soundtrack make this game awesome.​

I don't think Sam Fisher will sound as the same if Michael Ironside does not voice him. Luckily, he's back, and he voiced his character with great passion. Other voice actors did great job voicing their characters, and the enemies during levels have great dialogues as well.

The soundtrack was better than I expected. With great electronic score by Kaveh Cohen, Michael Nielsen, and Amon Tobin, makes this game has an epic and moody soundtrack compared with previous Splinter Cell games.

Replay Value

939336_121809_screen002.jpg

Play with your friend in this Co-Op Story campaign, as Archer and Kestrel.​

You can either play the single player campaign in harder difficulties, or play co-operative campaign with your friend.

Basically, the gameplay is the same as the single-player mode campaign, but this campaign has different locations and different missions, as well as there are two players.

In this campaign, you need to work together with your friend to infiltrate in this campaign and to complete certain objectives in each levels.

I love the co-op campaign, and it can be addicting to play like Assassin's Creed; Brotherhood multiplayer mode. However, this campaign is short as well, so there ain't much to do after completing except play the Deniable Ops modes, which are Hunter Mode and Last Stand Mode.

Conclusion

939336_20090923_screen006.jpg

Action and stealth gamers should give this game a try.

Despite it's short length, less stealth options and few radical changes from past Splinter Cell games, this is the best Splinter Cell game to me. With fast paced action, you can kill your enemies fast and quietly, unlike previous Splinter Cell games. With great voice acting, great storyline, friendly controls, awesome gameplay, this game is a worthy Splinter Cell game to play.

Score

Story - 10/10
Gameplay - 7/10
Graphics - 9/10
Sound - 9/10

Final Score: 34/40 or 8.5/10.0.

Pros and Cons

Pros

- Awesome storyline.
- Great and memorable characters.
- User friendly game controls.
- Great gameplay, with the awesome Mark and Execute as the greatest addition.
- Superb voice acting by voice actors. Michael Ironside's performance as Sam Fisher never ceases to amaze me.
- Gorgeous graphics, with great character models as well as unique environments.
- Varied mission objectives.
- Good replay value.
- Co-op campaign is awesome to play.
- Great electronic soundtrack.

Cons

- Extremely short, both single player campaign as well as co-op campaign.
- Minor framerate issues.
- Lesser stealth options compared with previous Splinter Cell games.
- Some radical changes in this game may not please Splinter Cell fans.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Well written review again, one of the Splinter Cell games i havent played so interesting to see someones thoughts on it.

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
Splinter Cell is one of my favourite game series! It's too bad they made Splinter Cell: Conviction xbox 360 only and the other SC games were allowed on either platforms.

I need to find a new xbox to play Chaos Theory since it's xbox only as well, that was one of my favourite games. :D

Top Bottom