• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Vampyr

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Kind of like the real Vlad the Impaler, in a lot of ways, who was viewed as a patriot and war hero by his own people, but reviled as a monstrous tyrant by the rest of his people.
REAL Vlad wasn't only know for cruelty in his was with Turks. REAL Vlad was also know as merciless to his own countryman holding nobility in iron grip. He most likely wasn't monster he was portrayed as, but he was far far off from goody two shoes Untold shown him as.
@Innsmouth
The problem isn't that Twilight romanticized vampires, vampires have been used in love stories plenty of times.....It's just their vampires are whimps, whiny, and are just badly acted

Anywho, just look at Spike, he's one of the most b@d$$ vampires in fiction, but he's also a hopeless romantic at heart.
Main problem is vampire devolved into pretty face kid stereotype which gets ridiculously overused. At least in Buffy it didn't really mattered if vampires are cute or not and not all of them dressed into chic clothes. And Spike was more of an exception than rule in Buffy. Everyone else, like Drusilla and Angel were cruel and merciless.
My main grip with vampire diaries is that if you look at promo images its basically that all characters look the same. It would be ok for me for characters to be different, but can we actually move away from stereotype that all vampires are beautiful, handsome, cute, etc etc etc. (we have interview with vampire thank for it) Or at least add some different types in a mix?
. At least it's got a lot better acting in it than Twilight, that's for sure.
Well its actually hard to find something with worse acting than Twilight. I managed to watch 40 minutes of it, 10 of them I looked confused at screen, 30 I laughed uncontrollably and than I turned it off for good xD

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
REAL Vlad wasn't only know for cruelty in his was with Turks. REAL Vlad was also know as merciless to his own countryman holding nobility in iron grip. He most likely wasn't monster he was portrayed as, but he was far far off from goody two shoes Untold shown him as.
He was a lot harder and crueler to the native Boyars infesting his country, and literally selling out to the Turks' bribery. He had harsh methods for dealing with criminal acts in his own country, but he wasn't nearly as reviled or notorious by Romanian standards as say, German or Hungarian.

Regardless, how historically accurate did you think this movie was going to be? No depiction of Vlad the Impaler marketed at mainstream audiences ever has been, not even in Coppola's adaptation.

If you want some level of historical relevance from your Dracula movie, then watch Dark Prince, because I'm fairly certain Universal was using this film as an opportunity to depict Vlad as a misunderstood hero rather than the controversial one he really was. I don't imagine depicting him realistically would've gone well over regular audiences.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Regardless, how historically accurate did you think this movie was going to be? No depiction of Vlad the Impaler marketed at mainstream audiences ever has been, not even in Coppola's adaptation.
Coppola's film is an film based on Bram Stoker's Dracula book which in its turn was inspired by Carmilla. It never tried to be historical accurate. But aside from this point, my problem with this film is not its historical importance. My problem is rather that they washed out all rough ages, by turning him in all round good guy who just did bad things to bad people. An his cruelty to innocent people was only mentioned and never shown. Its obvious they tried to make "good" guy trying to make him likeable to all. IT's pretty much what you said yourself. But in my opinion I rather see somebody like Dracula from LoS than guy with pretty face performing all-round noble deeds in Dracula Untold.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Let's try to stick to talking about the game.
I concur.

With Lords of Shadow 2 in mind, I wonder if vampiric abilities like turning into mist and rats, as well as being able to drain enemies of blood for bursts of health, will be incorporated in Vampyr.

But since it's going the route of an RPG, I can only recommend that they go with possibly the greatest Gothic RPG ever made...that being the eternal masterpiece, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

The day we see a successor to that work of majesty is the day the current console generation can finally redeem itself.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
I see I'm not the only one who got interested on this game :thumbsup:
That synopsis and concept art immediately grabbed my attention. Dontnod are very talented game devs so I have hopes for them execute all this ideas into something really good.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I forgot all about this game.

Why do I get the feeling that somehow, development will never be completed?

berto

I Saw the Devil
Vampyr is set in early 20th century Britain as the country is gripped by the lethal Spanish flu and the streets of London are crippled by disease, violence and fear. In a disorganized and ghostly city, those foolish, desperate, or unlucky enough to walk the streets lay prey to Britain’s most elusive predators: the vampires. Emerging from the chaos, a tormented figure awakens. You are Jonathan E. Reid, a high-ranking military surgeon transformed into a vampire upon his return home from the frontline.

Explore the darkly atmospheric streets of early 20th century London, and interact with a multitude of characters with their own identities and importance. Accept and fulfill the missions they give you, but don’t forget: sooner or later, you will have to feed, and make a difficult choice... who will be your prey? Absolutely all characters in the game are potential victims of your vampiric lust. Carefully study the habits of your next victim, his or her relationships with other characters, and set up your strategy to feed, unnoticed: seduce them, change their daily habits, or make sure they end up alone in a dark street…

Be careful who you choose to hunt, as they will be gone forever, and their death will impact in a meaningful way the world that surrounds you. Feeding on human blood will not just keep you "alive"; it will also unlock new vampiric powers to use.

There will be times when exploration and seduction will only get you so far, and you'll need to resort to engaging in Vampyr's dynamic real-time combat. It blends hard-hitting melee combat with ranged shooting mechanics and the supernatural vampire powers. You'll face many types of enemies: different species of vampires and creatures, as well as vampire hunters who want to hunt you down with their weapons, tools and traps. In Vampyr, your health and the "energy" that drives your supernatural powers are one and same! Using powers will drain your own blood, giving you an edge in battle but also leaving you weaker. You will have to find a way to feed during combat to replenish your strength.

Vampyr also offers a deep crafting system. Find and loot materials and components from the fresh corpses of your victims or during exploration, in order to craft and improve tools, melee and ranged weapons, as well as special ammunitions and coating to exploit the weaknesses of your enemies.

As you cling to what remains of your humanity, your decisions will ultimately shape the fate of your hero while searching for answers in the coughing, foggy aftermath of the Spanish Flu.

1456733917-vampyr-01.jpg

1456733918-vampyr-02.jpg

1456733918-vampyr-04.jpg

1456733918-vampyr-03.jpg

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
IRRC, the developer also made Life is Strange right? Does this mean it will play similar to that game?

Might have to see some gameplay before I can get interested.

Triggerpigking

Have'nt heard of this till now, ww1 is one of my favorite era's and I love vampires, Berto's synopsis makes it sound pretty open ended as well. Gonna be keeping my eye on this.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
IRRC, the developer also made Life is Strange right? Does this mean it will play similar to that game?

Isn't Life is Strange some sort of interactive movie/adventure game?

This is supposed to be an RPG.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
If the gameplay isn't good enough for my tastes, then I'll have to pass on this one.

I mean, I'll probably lament the fact that I did -- but if it plays like LiS, then I'll just watch it on yt.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
ww1 is one of my favorite era's

There was a game set there I kept hearing about but didn't get the chance to play... an FPS with supernatural elements if I remember well... forgot the name, Necro... something.

if it plays like LiS, then I'll just watch it on yt.

I didn't have doubts as it's a completely different genre, but no it won't. Even the article Drakan posted says it.

Thank God.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom