• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you reading?

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
"Angel" (2019) issue 0/1/2 is a comic reboot of the tv show Angel. It's published by Boom Comics and written by Bryan Edward Hill with art by Gleb Melnikov. Boom comics has done comics for Buffy/Angel but set it back at the beginning of their careers and in the 2010s rather the late 90s. So far Buffy and Angel haven't yet met but there's a big crossover scheduled for October/November. That is a detriment to Angel's solo title as it feels like they are rushing to get him from LA to Sunnydale.

"The Invisible Kingdom" is a space opera focusing on our relationship between material goods and the immaterial world around us. It focuses on two protagonists on separate paths that converge by issue 4 or 5. Each protagonist focuses on a different argument and it allows it to be fleshed out more. I'd recommend it to people.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
43927569._SY475_.jpg

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Just finished The Fandom by Anna Day.
It only took me two weeks to get through, not because it's bad but because my concentration is really poor.
Not a perfect read, there are a few grammar slipups, but definitely entertaining and a keeper. The story sticks in your head.
And I really really want there to be a sequel. I need more Ash and Violet.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
Peace Talks, right? I wonder how many more Butcher has planned, or if it'll be the last one? I'm looking forward to it, too. I hope it won't be much longer.
Well he finished it, so it shouldn't be much longer till it comes out, probably at the beginning of next year. I remember him saying that it might be 20 books in total, not sure if that still holds up. Originally peace talks was supposed to be the last one but I don't think he can wrap it all up there is to much stuff to still do. I feel like we have at least 2 books (including peace talks) to finish the story.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
@Erian1Mortal Too true. I wouldn't doubt if you're right, considering all of the sub-plots floating around since pretty much the beginning. I gotta tip my hat to him; the man's a master. Even with outlines, I'd probably lose track of everything. x_x

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Finally getting to this:

42347766._SY475_.jpg

I've been going through a bit of a reading slump lately, so hopefully this pulls me out of it (since what I attempted to read after Skin Game certainly didn't).

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Star-crossed by Barbara Dee. It's a really cute MG/YA? It's somewhere in there.

27242442._SY475_.jpg

Edit: Now I'm on...
15839976.jpg

I was really worried about starting this one, but I'm 1/3 of the way in, and I'm actually pretty happy with it. ^^

Last edited:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Finished Golden Son (the second book in the Red Rising series) a few days ago. Listened to a couple of short audio books since: The Sorcerer's Apprentice, in which I didn't particularly enjoy it, as the narrator's voice and what seemed like a complete lack of editing distracted me from the story. And Sleeping Beauty, in which the narrator had a lovely voice I could have listened to for hours had the story been that long.

Now I'm reading:

42900033._SY475_.jpg

I'm not far yet, but it's giving me serious Harry Potter vibes...and not in the good way. :unsure: I'm going to reserve judgment until I've finished it, though (or at least until I potentially opt to throw it onto the DNF pile. Got it for free through Playbooks, so I can't really complain, at least).

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
"Something is killing the children" is published by Boom Comics and written by James Tynion IV with art by Weller Delle'edra. It focuses on James a young kid who survives a horrific incident is the town of Archer Peaks. It leads him to team-up with monster hunter Erica Slaughter in order to avenge the other kids.

"House of X" is published by Marvel Comics and written by Jonathan Hickman with art by Pepe Larraz. It centers on Professor X creating a home for mutants on Krakoa, the living island. Yes, this is the same Krakoa that the X-men fought back in the day (Giant size X-men issue #1 1975). It's a mix of sci-fi and geopolitics as the first issue is various UN ambassadors taking a tour of Krakoa with an interesting tour guide. It's a 6 issue miniseries that is going to lead into "Dawn of X" the next big X-men era.

"Power of X" (pronounced Power of 10) is published by Marvel Comics and written by Jonathan Hickman with art by R.B. Silva. It's a companion comic to "House of X" showcasing the ramifications of X-men forming their own country on Krakoa. It's split into 4 segments- X0 is when Xavier forms his plan, X1 is 10+ years later when Krakoa is revealed to the world, X2 is 100+ years later where mutants are fighting against man and machine and X3 is 1000+ years later where mutants run the world and mankind is on the ropes. it's more hardcore sci-fi and not accessible as "House of X".

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Recently re-read Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo (I ****ing love that series).

Now I'm on:

22811807.jpg

I'm really digging it. It's a Frankenstein re-telling (Mary Godwin/Shelley actually makes an appearance, as does the book, Frankenstein) and it's honestly really good.

I'm going to try to keep up with the whole Halloween mood all month if possible. ^^

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
"Immortal Hulk" is published by Marvel Comics and written by Al Ewing with art by Joe Bennet. It's a horror revamp of the Hulk mythos and it is awesome.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Finished Anthony Horowitz's Moriarty. It was...entertaining; had a nice pace and was incredibly easy to read (especially for Holmesian derivatives, which seem prone to being dry or slow). I don't know if I agree that it was worth the accommodations it got from the ACD estate? But it was fun. Um...I kinda didn't like it after the twist, though. I've talked to a few people who really like Holmes pastiches and apparently the twist is usually what gets people the most? But I felt it was sloppy and not particularly clever or well-executed (in particular, the chapter immediately following it felt incredibly self-aggrandising and unnecessary). I feel like it would've benefitted from a different writing style and more polishing. But ymmv.

Back to Michael Kurland's The Great Game and some fanfics. :3

Top Bottom