• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you reading?

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
...It...it's ending at #30? D: NUUUUUUUU!!! *sobs* Gosh, I hope they'll do more comics with her in it. Then again, I might stop buying comics so often then, but still.... T-T
Even if they finish the Harley comics someday, there are still quite a few I like: Batwoman, Batgirl, anything with Batman in, Nightwing, Red Hood....you get the idea. :tongue:

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Even if they finish the Harley comics someday, there are still quite a few I like: Batwoman, Batgirl, anything with Batman in, Nightwing, Red Hood....you get the idea. :tongue:

True. ^^ I haven't been reading comics (this avidly, at least) very long, so I'm trying to catch up on all the old Batman, Nightwing, Catwoman, and Teen Titans comics. Kinda frustrated DC doesn't have all the Deathstroke comics on their site.... Out of curiosity, can you recommend any other comics? I'm having a hard time finding others to read cuz there's just so many comics. :dead:

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
True. ^^ I haven't been reading comics (this avidly, at least) very long, so I'm trying to catch up on all the old Batman, Nightwing, Catwoman, and Teen Titans comics. Kinda frustrated DC doesn't have all the Deathstroke comics on their site.... Out of curiosity, can you recommend any other comics? I'm having a hard time finding others to read cuz there's just so many comics. :dead:

Give Coffin Hill a go if you're into supernatural comics. The art is fairly spiffy too.

The new 52 Batwoman is pretty good. However, he artwork can be hit and miss depending on the issue.

I'd also recommend an ongoing online comic called Devoto Music in Hell, but only if you're okay with scenes of guys with guys. The artwork is beautiful and so are the themes and writing.

Neil Gaiman and his Sandman comics are a good read too.

I also enjoyed reading Marvel's X-23 series.

Right now I'm reading through the new 52 releases for this week. Pretty good so far. Favourite has to be Harley.

Last edited:

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Just finished reading Iron Man by Peter David. (It's an adaptation of the film.) It...was good. Really good. I like how he expanded on certain things, gave it back story, ect. But I found it suffered from the same flaw I found in the Fable books David wrote: he rushed it. Specifically at the end. He spent a ton of time building up the story, getting into it, making it really awesome and great...and then squeezed the final battle into the last twenty or so pages of the book. And about half of that was Pepper's POV, not Tony's. :/ And then there was absolutely no transition (unlike in other parts of the book) between the fight ending and the very final chapter. Just a sudden cut. I just don't know why David seems unable to end a novel well. Either he's getting lazy by the end of it, is being rushed, doesn't want it to end--I don't know. But I find the end of a lot of his books to be...dissatisfying. Iron Man needed about another ten pages at the very end and then it would have felt like things had been wrapped up better.

On the plus side, I found Pepper to be much more enjoyable in the novel than in the movie. She was fun, relateable, and, thank the gods, didn't suffer from the same blah-bland-unoriginal cast David seems to give a lot of female characters. (Seriously, I can't remember the names of any of the female OCs he created for his Fable novels...not even the main female love interest in The Balverine Order and she tried to eat the main characters....) Obadiah wasn't a character of any great emotional depth or investment, but...I know next to nothing about the Iron Man comics, so *shrugs* I dunno if he's true to character but he made for a cool villain (if only that fight had been longer...). Rhodey was great; I really enjoyed seeing the relationship between him and Tony go from pseudo-friends to something more genuine.

Overall...the book was good, but the end just...needed something a little more. Most likely will end up reading it again, though. >_>

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I recently finished reading the DMC3 manga (Code 1: Dante). I ordered it and Code 2: Vergil at the same time. Yeah...it hasn't come yet, lol.

Oh, well. I'll just have to wait. Honestly, not much reading involved, but interesting, nonetheless.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
So I'm still wading my way through The Three Musketeers and honestly? They and D'Artagnan are kind of horrible people...

I find myself rooting more for the Cardinal with every page I read.

Angel General

Cristal, Advisor to Emperor Glaser & sky goddess
Just finished reading Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman. I love dystopian settings.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Kafka's Die Verwandlung. I read it in English as a teenager, but now I want to challenge myself to read it in the original German; along with Heidegger's Being and Time, which, no way in heck, am I going to read in German. It's concepts are convoluted enough in English.
It's comparable to reading Aleister Crowley without knowing Latin or Kabbalah; and even then it makes little sense because his points of reference are so far removed from that of a normal person.:laugh:

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Harley Quinn #4. Bakuman vol. 1 by Ohba and Obata (originally read it when I first moved here almost six years ago and liked it, but now I don't remember what happened...). Soul Eater vol. 1 by Atsushi Ohkubo (friend recommended it). And Black Butler vol. 10 by Yana Toboso who is determined to murder me with feels--so. many. feels ._. (still have up to 15 to read; stuff is different from the scans...). Need to restart Batman Begins by Dennis O'Niel, because...I don't remember anything I've read. .-. Slow plot is slow.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
House of Leaves. It's certainly interesting. Not sure what to make of it... I think it's ergodic literature from what I've been reading so far. Personally, I'd call it an unconventional literary clusterfck. :tongue:

V

Oldschool DMC fan
House of Leaves. It's certainly interesting. Not sure what to make of it... I think it's ergodic literature from what I've been reading so far. Personally, I'd call it an unconventional literary clusterfck. :tongue:

My friend showed me his copy. I was like, "how can you read this?" Not sure if he's made it through (or will)

(...But then I've got Last Exit to Brooklyn in my bookpile and I've no idea how I'm gonna get through that either).

I'm reading Closer by Dennis Cooper right now, followed by Frisk. I'll finish Closer in an hour or so, it's not a big book, but it's got me interested in the George Miles cycle. I originally asked to borrow them for research for the manga. It's been pretty useful, although I'm not taking quite the same tack as these novels do. You probably need strong guts for these, although I don't think I found anything in Closer too disturbing myself. Frisk is meant to be worse.

Last edited:

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
My friend showed me his copy. I was like, "how can you read this?" Not sure if he's made it through (or will)
That's what I'm thinking about myself right now. Some parts, I'm really into it, then a few pages later, it's like a long slog through thick mud. I'm hoping the payoff will be worth it when I finish it.

(...But then I've got Last Exit to Brooklyn in my bookpile and I've no idea how I'm gonna get through that either).
I found that to be a brutal read when I first picked it up in high school on a whim. In retrospect, I think I should have been a bit older to read it. Some of the images and depictions were too much. It is manageable to read to the end though.

Reactions: V

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I found that to be a brutal read when I first picked it up in high school on a whim. In retrospect, I think I should have been a bit older to read it. Some of the images and depictions were too much. It is manageable to read to the end though.
It's not the scenes or the subject matter that are daunting me, it's his walls of text/half a page sentences and violence toward grammar =p

Top Bottom