• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What Are You Thinking?

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
In a way, I agree, but, in a way, I don't. The term "Mary Sue" has been over-used to the point where it both has no meaning and has become such a constant spark of paranoia for writers that it's handicapping them in terms of character developement. :/ It's amazing how both a perfectly "normal" character and an extremely "over-powered/too pretty" character can both be labeled "Mary Sues". I mean, what the heck do people want? Some so-called "Mary Sues" are actually really good, well-developed characters. but because one troll decides to complain about them, the readers turn on the story. In reality, most canon characters are Mary Sues/Gary Stus. Dante, Vergil, Harry Potter, 95% of comic book characters. But because they're written well, we over look it. So, really, what people are complaining about is the writer...not the characters.

Besides...aren't all characters extensions of the writer? Just because they don't look like you or act like you, doesn't mean they aren't still a part of you. *mutters*
Sorry for ranting at you. ._.
I agree with you that some of the best characters, like Harry Potter, are like a Sue, and that an author can only write from his or her own life experience; but when the characters are blatanly matching the author's profile description of hair, eyes and clothing; poorly written, angst-riddden, over-sexed and overpowered...that's when I bring out the Mary-Sue label. Not for well written ones with a decent backstory that don't disregard the cannon and make characters fight for their love....so you're right, I guess my complaint is about the writers themselves....and to a degree their creations because they are an extension of the writer.

Got to admit, the Mary-Sue thing puts me off writing. I guess you have to start somewhere, but...I'd never want to make a Sue by mistake...

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Dinner should be interesting seeing as Jake doesn't eat hot food, Jessica doesn't eat anything that isn't an Easter Egg at the moment and Josh decided that from today he would simply stop eating altogether.

Fresh air and dust it is then...

ZeroLove

Dinner should be interesting seeing as Jake doesn't eat hot food, Jessica doesn't eat anything that isn't an Easter Egg at the moment and Josh decided that from today he would simply stop eating altogether.

Fresh air and dust it is then...

When they become hungry, they will eat. ^^

Angel General

Cristal, Advisor to Emperor Glaser & sky goddess
Ah, playing the violin is fun, but a lot of hard work. >_< At least I don't sound like a dying cat or anything..... >.>
I used to play it, I had a blue violin :D but I wish I'd played guitar now ;-;

CT: Forgot how much that one person can cheer me up ^_^

Laurence Barnes

Still not dead. Just not really here any more.
Premium
i'm going splinter cell. then when SR4 comes out i'm going saints row again then i have no idea i might just start switching from one to the other and im kinda leaning towards metroid

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Why are there so many Mary-Sue creations in fanart and fiction?>_< Get out of fandoms I like and stop trying to date the antagonists with idealised versions of yourselves....it's creepy. And no, Vergil would not fall in love with you, no matter how pretty you are.....and stop pairing him with your super speshul half vampire/warewolf/siren abominations!

Now I'm getting paranoid about my own creation.
Nite's not over sexed and her eyes don't change colour, but I'm still paranoid. (Plus, she fell in love with Nelo Angelo... not Vergil :p)

CT: *Dies inside*

Stop sneezing woman!

Laurence Barnes

Still not dead. Just not really here any more.
Premium
all the folks on chaos theory all listen to one song before they die by sam fisher's hand there must be something in the lyrics which caused the creators to make all the enemies to listen to only this song

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
When I mentioned in passing to my landlord I didn't exactly feel 'safe' here anymore, she just acted like she didn't hear me.

And at that point someone threw some confetti at you, blew a party horn and revealed a banner saying "Welcome to the real Cornwall." (Sorry)

Those NIMBY's are probably also the people that don't want a Stadium for Cornwall, a Waste Incinerator or Wind Turbines.... Personally (this is my idea) they should be given the option any of those three or a nuclear plant... guaranteed they'd go for either of the three :lol:

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
Thinking...

Possibly another thread to lock in the DmC section?...
Wouldn't be surprised...:/
As I said,
Flamewartxt_zps89949bc6.jpeg

Top Bottom