• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What Are You Thinking?

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
She is a whole new level of unbelievable. And I'm a cat person...I have never encountered such a badly-behaved kitty in all my life...
How old is she? Both of mine went through asshole stages when they were around 2-3 yrs and one calmed down later (the other is still 3 so...maybe she'll grow out of it), so it might be age? Idk. Cats are weird sometimes.

--
Thinking:
Maybe I'll do some research after gaming, but...after three days off of writing, I kinda just want to write til my eyes fall out. :unsure:

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
How old is she? Both of mine went through asshole stages when they were around 2-3 yrs and one calmed down later (the other is still 3 so...maybe she'll grow out of it), so it might be age? Idk. Cats are weird sometimes.

--
Thinking:
Maybe I'll do some research after gaming, but...after three days off of writing, I kinda just want to write til my eyes fall out. :unsure:
She's 6...started really playing up at the beginning of last year but was showing issues for two years prior. Stress, apparently.

No, cat, I'M stressed. You're just a nuisance.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
As much as I don't like social media, Twitter has proven very useful in terms of contacting customer services - especially during the pandemic. I could sit on the phone for 45 minutes in a hold queue or get straight through to my bank using DMs.

Problem sorted in 30 seconds flat.

Still don't like social media though.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters

I wanna just retool it into a jak and daxter game.

Jak would be a troubleshooter for Haven City. He deals with problems to big for the Freedom League. He's like their version of Superman/Captain America.

The hole in the ground is an area in Jak's world. It's outside of Stilz city which was the Yellow Eco sage's village back in the day.

Stilz village was cut from the first game so we can use that here.

The comic could also be used. A female scientist from 2186 Earth gets stuck on Jak's planet. Guess who helps her get back ?

;).

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Gimme an example of how you do it. I'm telling you, it's helping me a lot with exams.
Honestly, it's hard to explain because I just...kinda started doing it on my own when I was a kid and had no idea that that's what I was doing until I was an adult? It was always just "brain is a library and I search the shelves" before that; not a completely conscious thing. But...using that as a starting point, every subject's a different row and the more used/important the subject is, the closer to the door--the subject splinters off into subcategories that splinter into even smaller sections with quick, precise info (ie cooking section -> techniques -> knife skills -> mincing -> "that one leek mincing trick a Japanese lady taught me") and I just have to wander through it and find the right link; the more obscure, the longer the wandering. Memories are more like tapes I have to go through, zoom in, focus, and then I've got everything from what people said to what they were wearing and so on if I focus enough. Organising happens when everything is calm and I figure out what links with what.

The problem is that, if I know something's only relevant in the short term and I don't need to keep it, it's basically mental post-it notes...which is fine until I've got thirty other post-its that have all scattered all over the metaphorical floor and I can't be bothered to look through them because some are really old and some I just got today and it's too much energy to organise them when I'm eventually going to delete them anyway. But the other problem is that important things sometimes get swept up in that (like birthdays or names) and, instead of getting organised and saved for later searching through, they accidentally get deleted. The more that's going on, the harder it is to organise and index everything.

Which probably means I need to be more mindful and take time to sort through everything on a daily/weekly basis so everything's tidy and easy to access but I don't always have the energy to organise things asap. (It's probably been six months since I last had energy to do so. OTL) I am very glad it's been working for you, though! ^^

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
@Shadow
I think the problem is that you're omitting the most important thing for it to work, which is visual correlation. You have to create "scenes" in your head which can provide intuitive correlation to key words linked to a concept you have to remember.
So you have to take an actual place you know well irl, identify some landmarks in that place and make up little scenes as above, taking place at those landmarks. The technique is not about the structure or the organization of the palace, it's about what happens in it.

The goal is always achieving that link between key words and the scenes you made up in your head within the place you chose. Then, when you need to remember, all you have to do is visualize your "palace" (the place with the scenes happening in it), which in turn will make you remember the key words through correlation, and remembering the key words will make you remember all the information linked to them.

I'll give you a practical example. When I was studying Man-Machine Interaction I had to memorize the 5 aspects that, according to one of its definitions, usability is composed of: learnability, efficiency, memorability, errors and satisfaction.

So to do that, I took my own bedroom as my "palace". Within it, I identified my desk a landmark: my desk with my PC on it. And then I made up a little scene, just simple imagery that also is capable to trigger emotions or some kind of response in you that makes it easy to make a link to the key words.
So I imagined myself as a kid at my desk, getting frustrated at Unreal Tournament cause it's my first PC game and I'm getting my ass kicked. Man it'll take some time to learn this game. Then all of a sudden the game has a fatal error and crashes. Upon checking the crash it turns out there's a problem with the system memory. So I turn the computer off and get up, not satisfied with my experience, but then my dad walks into the room and gifts me a more efficient PC.

So there you go, whenever I have to remember what the 5 aspects of usability are, all I need to do is recall and quickly replay this scene in my head and the key words will automatically come to my mind. Sure as hell beat the old and trite method of just repeating jargon over and over in my head till it gets impressed in it. That only kinda works for the very short term, this works short AND long term. Because it's an active process that involves your imagination and creativity rather than a passive one, you're much more personally involved and that's key to remember things more effectively.

Last edited:

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
I had a writing club meeting today and I was a bit scared, because a first time ever the writer that I admire the most in our club, the one that is sort of a mentor for me, had written something I didn't like. For me, it didn't even seem to be prose at all. It was technically faultless, but this person is waaaayyy beyond any level that requires comments about that, so I had pretty much nothing to praise for him.

In my view, giving lies as a feedback is the most destructive way to criticize a writer. Sandwich models work only on a novice level, and a writer beyond that level knows they're worth more than sandwiches. So, I decided to be honest and just tell him "I didn't like it at all, for reasons X, Y and Z".

He took it so well. Of course he wasn't happy, but he understood my view and together we figured ways to use what he had already written about it. It wasn't prose, so we thought he could use it for other purposes. A fine text, just not a short story.

I should not be surprised about this. He's even more of an artist and even further away from the entertainer than I am, so he doesn't take this kind of stuff as any kind of personal insult, but I am still relieved. Also, I know these ones would never lie to me about my writings either, so it's a win-win situation. ♥

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
@Foxtrot94 I was going to say "I do, generally, visualise things" but...actually, that might be the difference between short and long term remembering. I don't visualise the short term. I'll have to give it a try and see if it helps. ^^

--

Thinking:
Capcom: "Here's our new very tall, very strong vampire villain lady with big claws. :)"
Haha...don't mind me, I'm just...looking extremely disrespectfully. It's a crime I can't play first person games...

+ Jfc, where did the day go...?

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I finished Fate: The Winx Saga and I thought it was pretty good. It's a pretty loose adaptation of the show. So think of it like the Arrowverse version of the Winx Club.

It probably would've been better animated. Instead of being retooled to be a Chilling Adventures of Sabrina successor, it should've been retooled as a successor to Voltron Legendary Defender.

Most of the new characters work pretty well so maybe it should've been a spinoff with a new cast. The existing cast are pretty decent but accuracy is hit or miss. I do think Bloom, Sky and Riven are improved over their cartoon counterparts.

Last edited:

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Now we've left the EU, everyone has Covid and the US election is done with, the BBC is struggling for news.

No word of a lie, I've just seen an article on the main page of their website entitled "in case you missed it" about how a football has travelled to Wales across the sea from Ireland.

A football.

A.

Football.

I just can't...

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
Now we've left the EU, everyone has Covid and the US election is done with, the BBC is struggling for news.

No word of a lie, I've just seen an article on the main page of their website entitled "in case you missed it" about how a football has travelled to Wales across the sea from Ireland.

A football.

A.

Football.

I just can't...

This reminds me of something. A few years ago, the Finnish Secretary of Defense Stefan Wallin commented on Finland's and the USA's common military rehearsals something like "don't worry folks, our military rehearsals are about as dramatic as the moment when a dachshund sits himself down".

So... a Finnish media literally wrote an article where they asked a few experts, including the head of the Dachshund Association Finland and a veterinaritan, how dramatic is it when a dachshund sits down. Turned out it is especially non-dramatic because a dachshund has very short legs, therefore, the distance to the ground is also short and the sitting maneuver is very subtle.

You can't read the full article without signing in, and it's in Finnish anyway, but to prove my point: https://www.iltalehti.fi/uutiset/a/2016031021247203
As conveniently mentioned in the article: the Finnish Dachshund Association does not take any stances in Finnish-US military collaboration.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Welp, kiddo's back to in-person learning...and the hub is still only working two days a week. Confused, but not complaining; that's at least another pair of hands to do the housework. :p

+Almost thought the Switch was toast. Luckily it just needed a reset. ._.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Someone needs to tell YouTube that having an interest in something doesn't mean you want to see a bunch of videos recommended to you about how that thing sucks. I know it sucks, I don't care, I still like it; go away.

+ One of the best historical facts I've learned is how horny trains made people in the late 1800s. Absolutely delightful.

Top Bottom