• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Which Dante has the Better One-Liners? (Poll)

Who has the better One-Liners

• Old Dante

Votes: 17 70.8%
  • New Dante

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Okay so IN YOUR OPINION.....feel the need to add that to avoid any conflict...

Which Dante has the better one-liners?

Originally I was going to count each Dante from DMC1-4 as separate characters (since there is a stigmata that each Dante was a different person)....but I said f*ck that and since DMC2 Dante barely spoke, DMC1 Dante didn't say that many one-liners, and you played most of DMC4 as Nero (not Dante) and Dante didn't start cracking one-liners til you started playing as him as well as the fact due to how story-centric DmC is there is much more dialogue and Dante says one-liners even during gameplay (possibly saying the most one liners than any Dante in each game).

Now I will list all their one-liners or as much as I can find/slash remember (note I won't be able to find them all and some you may not even consider one-liners as well as one-liners particularly aren't just witty banter or a taunt but a quick, phrase that emphasis an attempt at cleverness or coolness so an one-liner can even be compliment and yes I consider "that line" an one-liner).

DMC Dante

"Sword!? Hah!! time to go to work guys!!"-DMC1

"What a big surprise. I hope for your sake you got something inside that big body of yours."-DMC1

"Flock off Feather Face or you can stick around and find out the hard way!"-DMC1

"You may look like my mother but you have no soul! You may have her face but you'll never have her fire!!"-DMC1

"I SHOULD'VE BEEN THE ONE TO FILL YOUR DARK SOUL WITH LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGHHHT!!!"-DMC1

"JACKPOT!"-DMC1 and DMC3

"The sky is fair. It will always be above every bodies head no different."-DMC1

"Devil's Never Cry."-DMC1, DMC2, and DMC3

"Looks like its your lucky day."-DMC2

"...Your lucky streak continues Granny."-DMC2

"Crap like that doesn't interest me. But.....Your swan song will."-DMC2

"Where there's a will right?"-DMC2

"Don't speak. Just die."-DMC2

"A false coin for a false god."-DMC2

"King?? Yeah, here's your crown."-DMC2

"Yeah, lets go all the way to Hell."-DMC2

"I hope you all have enough to cover all of this!"-DMC3

"Wow I've never seen a talking mutt before. You know in a dog show, you'd definitely take first place."-DMC3

"Easy fido. How about I take you out for a walk? Come on puppy, let's go."-DMC3

"It's showtime. Come on"-DMC3 (and maybe DMC2)

"Are you going to the party? What's the hurry, didn't ya get an invitation?"-DMC3

"Zip it or I'll pierce that big nose."-DMC3

"Let you go? But it's be a waste if you ended up as just a pretty stain."-DMC3

"You sure know how to throw a party. No food, no drinks, and the only babe just left."-DMC3

"How about a kiss from your little brother or better yet how about how about a kiss from THIS!"-DMC3

"So this is the next stage?"-DMC3

"Whatever, Lady."-DMC3

"Talk about Horse Power."-DMC3

"A chicken race with a horse?.....fair enough."-DMC3

"A chicken, Now a gladiator. This just keeps getting better and better. Too bad nobody is around to enjoy the show!!"-DMC3

"You seem to be in bad mood."-DMC3

"My mother's amulet is the key that unlocks the door to the Demon World. Good plan, Pop."-DMC3

"It's like staring into a backed up toilet."-DMC3

"Why do you always stick your nose in other families business? Come on due. Don't you got any hobbies?"-DMC3

"Dude, my father wasn't so hideous. Can't you tell by looking at me?"-DMC3

"We are the sons of Sparda. Within each of us flows his blood, but more importantly his SOUL! And my soul is saying it wants to stop you!"-DMC3

"So melodramatic..Besides, if you die without giving my sword back, I'm gonna be ****ed."-DMC4

"Check it out. It's got wings!"-DMC4

"That's a solid performance for an old fart like you."-DMC4

"Maybe they're starting a zoo."-DMC4

"Glad I got your attention. I was beginning to feel a little ignored."-DMC4

"As appealing as that sounds, I think I'll pass,"-DMC4

"You can hide that body but that smell....Hoo! There's no covering up!"-DMC4

"He wasn't kidding. It's like an All-You-Can-Eat buffet."-DMC4

"I wished you noticed me sooner. Now my coat is all charred."-DMC4

"I was hoping for a bit more than a few sparks."-DMC4

"If you're gonna continue your research in the next world...Do your homework first?"-DMC4

"I know this thing is a major cultural artifact...but it's bad for the community."-DMC4

"Yeah....it kinda tainted the view."-DMC4

"Sounds like your over compensating for something. Besides, I don't want you to get a creak in your neck from looking down at me."-DMC4

"How about death?"-DMC4

"An opportunity to save the world doesn't happen everyday you know. Savor it."-DMC4

"But that'd be out of character. Maybe you'd just throw an insult my way instead."-DMC4

"That's the only gift worth giving. So I want to entrust it to you, and so I am."-DMC4

Now its DmC's turn......note I may not have all of them since well somewhere in gameplay so it would be hard to find them all.

"Sh*t back in Limbo......bad day for a hang over."-DmC

"Get your filthy f*cking claw off my trailer."-DmC

"Time for a little rebellion."-DmC

"Ebony, Ivory, I missed you girls."-DmC

"Not in a million years."-DmC

"Do you f*cking demons even feel pain?"-DmC

"Whore mother? If you calling me a son of bitch you wouldn't be the first!"-DmC

"I like it rough."-DmC

"Get over you little sh*ts."-DmC

"I am running."-DmC

"Who invited you fatass!?"-DmC

"It just seemed to drag on forever....Church."-DmC

"Obesity, Stupidity.....Drink Virility!"-DmC

"What in the sh*tting hell is going on in here."-DmC

"That? Nah. That was just a big fat joke."-DmC

"That really was an egg timer."-DmC

"Ugh smells of sick."-DmC

"I'm your prom date you ugly sack of sh*t!"-DmC

"Yep, but you can call me Dante the demon killer. Has a nice ring to it, don't you think?"-DmC

"You don't look a day over twelve thousand."-DmC

"F*ck You!"-DmC

"Suck on this!"-DmC

"Let me cut those nails for you!"-DmC

"Ah! Ow! Damnit! what have you been eating?"-DmC

"Donkey punch!"-DmC

"You're dumped."-DmC

"You know what your problem is? You're too clingy!! And you're all mixed up."-DmC

"Bob Barbas is a demon? So he's more than just a f*cking d!ck."-DmC

"Well Bob, I now get why your point of view is so upside down."-DmC

"That was wild!"-DmC

"Wow, even Limbo has a slammer. Never thought I'd be breaking into jail."-DmC

"An ambush....you flocking bastards!"-DmC

"It is I (eye)."-DmC

"Assiel?..Nope its a f*cking demon."-DmC

"Hey Bob, put a spin on this!"-DmC

"I'm taking you off the air!"-DmC

"Segue into this!"-DmC

"And ain't that the best kind Bob?"-DmC

"This is hard hitting news Bob!"-DmC

"Breaking news..Bob! You're fired!"-DmC

"Who are you f*ck nut?"-DmC

"Hey over here saw boy!"-DmC

"It's on b!tch!"-DmC

"I am now."-DmC

"You wanna dance? Let's dance!"-DmC

"Your turn Barbie."-DmC

"Now there is a face only a mother can love."-DmC

"Showtime!"-DmC

"Bingo."-DmC

"She's right...this is hell."-DmC

"YOU'RE AN A$$HOLE!"-DmC

"Slam Dunk!"-DmC

Yeah so that is it....yeah I know that I may have missed some but bear with me that is a lot....same goes for DMC Dante (well mainly DMC3).

Now if some are confused on each quote/one-liner just quote it and I'll explain what it was about since some/all are responses to a particular event or phrase directed to or pertains to Dante or the event at hand so some might seem hard to understand.

IncarnatedDemon

Who is old Dante?
Is it a version of Dante from manga or novels that i have never heard of before?

And why have you not included original Dante option?

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Who is old Dante?
Is it a version of Dante from manga or novels that i have never heard of before?

And why have you not included original Dante option?

........................well I got lazy and after 3 hours of making this thread it was either DmC and DMC Dante and I thought.....hmmm I think Old and New Dante sounds a bit better a just put those instead.

Old Dante is Original Dante because Old and Original both begins with O same way how New Dante is Not Original Dante because new and not original begins with an N....sounds better?

IncarnatedDemon

I am just trolling you. Though i think it's unecessary to call original Dante for old, it implies he is outdated or...old.
Something he is not.

original Dantes lines are best.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I am just trolling you. Though i think it's unecessary to call original Dante for old, it implies he is outdated or...old.
Something he is not.

original Dantes lines are best.

Ohh sorry I knew in my mind the ole Old and New Dante thing was a bit wrong....but was too exhausted and hungry to care.

I only made this thread because I had plans but they were cancelled so to kill some time (I could've played a video game or finish reading those books I have) made this thread since it was an idea I had in my head like for 2 minutes.

I did it for fun but after literally going through all the cutscenes (well not all I skipped the cutscenes in DMC1 and DMC2 that had no dialogue and half of DMC4........DMC3 and DmC were a b*tch to go through) of DMC1-4 and DmC I started to see something interesting about Dante.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
DmC dante's one liners feel like a more raw form of DMC1/anime dante's one liners. so...both? its really hard since you only have two dantes listed. DMC3 and 4 dante's one liners are pretty bad in my opinion.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
DmC dante's one liners feel like a more raw form of DMC1/anime dante's one liners. so...both? its really hard since you only have two dantes listed. DMC3 and 4 dante's one liners are pretty bad in my opinion.

Really how so???...not the DMC3 and DMC4 one liners sucking the whole "raw" comparison especially the anime one-liners (didn't add those since that would 10x the extra work).

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
What's that?

Its hard to say but when you watch a cutscene you tend to focus primarily on everything so when I saw each cutscene I noticed something since I singled out the other factors in cutscenes and put my focus on Dante and all statements directed towards him and his reactions allow me to come to the conclusion that Dante is a character who communicates and at the same time emphasizes his feelings through one liners.

This mainly pertains to DMC4 Dante (it pertains to the rest as well a bit of DmC since his one liners are played more to the cool factor and humor not so much).

With DMC3 Dante, 90% of his dialogue are one liners. In DMC1, all of his more memorable quotes are one liners especially in emotion scenes he uses an one liner to put more strong emphasis on what he is trying to convey even if it may come off as corny to some. With DMC2 Dante, the guy barely speaks but all he says are one liners.

However, with DMC4 Dante its more meaningful to a way.

In DMC4, Dante was portrayed to be the type that joked around and never took anything seriously but isolating his quotes and scenes and focusing on him and how other actions and words from other characters affects him and how he responds to them and the situations he is in.....I see a lot of hidden context in his rather un-serious lines. Well its not all of his lines but some of them...and this is apparent in all of the Dantes but I see it more in DMC4 Dante.

Its hard to explain...man I had this 5 paragraph essay to explain it but I forgot most of my points so I'll try.

Some people say DMC4 Dante acts like an immature prick but after accessing each of his lines in DMC4 I see that he is the more mature and well versed version of the 4 (even DMC2) its just that he emphasizes this in a more sarcastic and joking manner it comes off as unnoticeable and its mainly expressed in his one liners.

For example in this line.

"But that'd be out of character. Maybe you'd just throw an insult my way instead."

It shows how Dante viewed Nero at the beginning when he first encountered him and shows that he understands Nero pretty well and the whole "that'd be out of character" implies that he thinks Nero developed as a character due to this experiences as well the part where he gives Nero the Yamato and what he said about gifts and having Nero keep Yamato shows something a father would say to his son or uncle to his nephew if he was passing down an important heirloom and that quote of "The only gift worth giving is the one most important to you and since it means a lot to me I wanted to give it to you because I trust you" (I worded it differently) is in IMO the most deep and thoughtful thing Dante has said since his "Devils Never Cry" speech in DMC1.

I just don't know after going all these cutscenes I see a lot of DMC1 (or better yet DMC2) Dante in DMC4 Dante (especially that line he said about humanity to Agnus seems paralled to what he told Trish in DMC1 about tears beings humans best gift) but its coated with a DMC3 Dante paint and I also see a lot DMC4 (or DMC1 but mainly 4) Dante in DMC2 Dante.

Its almost like DMC4 (considering how much Capcom put a lot of DMC1 into DMC4 such as the 2 enemy types, made a big deal that Kobayashi was the producer and he was involved with DMC1, brought back more gothic landscapes, and even a lot of story references to DMC1 such as the Angelos and the "Mundus Lives" statement and how the Savior boss fight seems a bit resemblance to the 2nd portion of the Mundus boss fight as well as how the finale of DMC4 where it had Nero or the player deliver the final blow to the Savior is similar to Dante doing the same in DMC1 and even the setting being on an island where the residents worships a demon and that demon becomes the final boss...well they worshipped Sparda but they did so with him being a statue and when Sanctus told them the flying statue was their savior or Sparda they believed him) it seems that DMC4 was Nero's own DMC1 (considering how he behaved more DMC1 Dante than Dante did) and Dante was there for A) fanservice and B) to help put more emphasis on Nero's inexperience.

I don't know I feel a lot of DMC4 Dante's lines are kind of cryptic and maturish compared to DMC3 Dante's whose lines for the most part represents coming of age and general immaturity.

I don't know....I feel I have to re-access my thoughts and re-present what I mean but the whole "Dante communicates and at the same time emphasizes his feelings through one liners" I mean that.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
They all had good one liners, but for me, I'm gonna go with DMC3 Dante. The iconic "This Party's getten crzay" and "I'm absolutely crazy about it" are two of the most biggest lines from him.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
i really like all of the dante's. i can tolerate DM4 dante's one liners (even if they make him sound like a lame jerk off). DMC3 dante though...it just got to a point where i was screaming at my tv "SHUT UP!!! JUST SHUT THE **** UP. SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH. YOU'RE SO ANNOYING".

When it comes to humour and charisma old Dante has it.
It's not that I also don't like NTDante's lines but I feel old Dante's were much more well-thought and actually funny to watch.
When I say well-thought I don't reffer to the fact they're some legendary or philosophical quotes,but they're smart and quick thought.
Humour is one of Dante's character traits which make him one hilarious and entertaining guy.
And I actually like that when it's not too forced or too much to bear. (even though he's soo talkative)

It's my opinion,but I think old Dante is more skillful,cunning (and annoying,but that's Dante,he's at times annoying in every form he comes in) with his replies and lines.

IncarnatedDemon

I don't know....I feel I have to re-access my thoughts and re-present what I mean but the whole "Dante communicates and at the same time emphasizes his feelings through one liners" I mean that.
Kamiya designed Dante to behave as he has to not show the demons his real feelings.

Top Bottom