• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

which was the worst dmc of all

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
This is actually what i talking about. In nowadays games transform into interactive movie where whole point is "fun to watch" not "fun to play" because all "play" it's just walking straight forward and pushing one button. Few hours ago i finished Ninja Gaiden 3: RE and story there was pretty ridiculous.But every boss fight was a challenge, every boss fight forced you to experiment with your weapons and moves, every single fight was intense and fun. Game was lot more interesting that story of this game, and it's ok.
I dont want to say that developers shoudnt pay atention to story at all. They should, but only after when they have a really good gameplay.

Even so, a good game should give as much attention to story as they do gameplay, otherwise it's only going to ever reach a small nich of gamers and not the whole gaming world. The only games I know that are surviving on gameplay and bad stories are Mario, DMC, Bayonetta, Sonic, and a few others. And none of those games have really gotten to any higher sales numbers because its just mindless fun to the gamers if its story and characters aren't backing it up.

AlastorSword

“Must not sleep... must warn others."
After replaying DMC2 I can safely say DmC is the worst of the 5. Not only did mine glitch up a few times but it also didn't do away with the faults that DMC2 had included in it's delivery. With an annoying cast, hit-and-miss soundtrack, a terrible (insufferable maybe even) protagonist, water down mechanics that don't do so well even if you don't exploit it's flaws and generally subpar dialogue to go with an already meh story, really pulls the brakes for me.

I liked DMC1 because it brought to life the mythos that I'd begin to love today.
I liked DMC2 because it created most of the mechanics that we will see in both 3 and 4
I liked DMC3 because it was a good mix of great game play and nice story.
I liked DMC4 because it expanded on DMC3's good game play and had great visuals.

So for me it's 3>1>4>2>DmC

Zey

I came here to laugh at you.
DMC2.
Even so, a good game should give as much attention to story as they do gameplay, otherwise it's only going to ever reach a small nich of gamers and not the whole gaming world. The only games I know that are surviving on gameplay and bad stories are Mario, DMC, Bayonetta, Sonic, and a few others. And none of those games have really gotten to any higher sales numbers because its just mindless fun to the gamers if its story and characters aren't backing it up.
Uh, aren't you talking only by your standards? For me, story should be something optional, you can make a really great game with a crappy story or just no story at all. If the gameplay is good, is not "mindless fun" just like you say, the depth of a good gameplay make it really exploitable and enjoyable, not just "press X to win". I rather have good music and visuals than a "good story" because, well, you know, most videogames sucks at it anyway. If I asked for games with a good story of this gen most people would name me BioShock Infinite, The Last of Us, Heavy Rain or Assassins Creed, which tell me that they never read books or they never played a game with a good story at all (like Planescape: Torment, Persona 2 or Deus Ex).

About sales, I just looked at the global sales of the last week in VGChartz and Madden NFL 25, Saints Row IV and Minecraft were in the top 10, so how games "with no good story or character to back up" are selling this well? This is just an example though but, it does apply to most of the best selling games in this gen (like Call of Duty, Halo or Pokemon).

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
About sales, I just looked at the global sales of the last week in VGChartz and Madden NFL 25, Saints Row IV and Minecraft were in the top 10, so how games "with no good story or character to back up" are selling this well? This is just an example though but, it does apply to most of the best selling games in this gen (like Call of Duty, Halo or Pokemon).

For one thing NFL games are sports games. They're not meant to have a stroy.
Secondly Minecraft isn't meant to have a story either.
and third, Saints row gets good sails for its mindless fun and destruction.

Plus, I did say that some games do survive on good gameplay but bad stories.

Celestia Ludenberg

Gokigenyou~
I would say DMC2.

But I'm going to have to say DmC for all the damage it's done, for being really dumbed down, Tameem and his shenanigans, starting from the minute we saw our "new" Dante to the day it was released it was a hell of a ride.

Zey

I came here to laugh at you.
For one thing NFL games are sports games. They're not meant to have a stroy.
Secondly Minecraft isn't meant to have a story either.
and third, Saints row gets good sails for its mindless fun and destruction.

That's my point.

DisappointedSparda

The Disappointed
I like all DMC games. But least fav is DMC 1 *I know i am going to be crucified for this.>_<*. I played it for like 20 minutes and it felt like resident evil with a sword.I am not, in any way, implying that DMC 1 is a bad game, it was jus so different from DMC 3. And the controls.....Oh No.

Sorry for the double posts but once i saw this i had to reply.

You would only feel this way if you played DMC 3 first before DMC1. Actually, DMC was described as RE with swords and that's why they made this franchise.

I don't know your age or whatnot but alot of DMC fans nowadays are really young and DMC 3 was there first game, its the most popular. I was much older when i first got DMC1 in 2001 so i appreciated it more by what it did. While DMC 3 is a fantastic game it lacked alot of the things i found interesting about DMC1. It became too cutscene heavy and relied too much on the ridiculous, something that DMC1 didn't do as much. It lost that foreboding feeling that DMC1 had and instead replaced it with Dante being ridiculous and doing out-of-place elaborate stunts for no reason.

Calling DMC4 a bad game is some sort of mainstream now. Most depth combat system from all genre? Best sales in series? Tons of community support? Who cares...

You should've cited better reasons then that. DMC 3 had this and then some.

Most depth combat system? DMC 3 beat that a few years before DMC4 released. People are still playing it till this day.

Best sales in a series? Red herring because that would mean DMC 2 is better then DMC 3 (DMC 3 sold less then DMC 2).

Community Support? I guess for people who only give a crap about gameplay and nothing else. And believe me, alot of people don't give a crap about DMC4. Some popular sites have been shut down because the lack of interest for DMC4 made forums dead. So Neogaf and PhantomBabies aren't exactly representatives as the community as a whole, just a margin of it.

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
Devil May Cry 2: Disc 2 is the worst DMC.

But if we're talking games as an overall, then DmC is the worst in my opinion.

Uh, aren't you talking only by your standards? For me, story should be something optional, you can make a really great game with a crappy story or just no story at all. If the gameplay is good, is not "mindless fun" just like you say, the depth of a good gameplay make it really exploitable and enjoyable, not just "press X to win". I rather have good music and visuals than a "good story" because, well, you know, most videogames sucks at it anyway. If I asked for games with a good story of this gen most people would name me BioShock Infinite, The Last of Us, Heavy Rain or Assassins Creed, which tell me that they never read books or they never played a game with a good story at all (like Planescape: Torment, Persona 2 or Deus Ex).

I do agree with you.

I'm not saying story isn't important,for me it's important,but I can enjoy games that aren't so story-centered.
Some games are focused on certain aspects,like either gameplay or story.
But they should have at least a decent story or gameplay or else these cons would bring them negative reactions.It'd be a pity if a game with very good gameplay has a bad storyline.Same goes with games with good stories and bad gameplay.

Also,I think other aspects make up for those.Like the game's atmosphere,or the characters,or the music,lines and such.
I only say it would be sad for a good game to have something that brings it down.

As you said,good music,visuals and so many other elements may make you like it without it having a great story,but being good at something else.
It's hard to have them all,some people prefer other things than gameplay in games,what I'm saying it's that it isn't so important because it's a video game,but a decent story should exist.

Plus, I did say that some games do survive on good gameplay but bad stories.

One thing I seem to be against is that these days video games became too visually and cinematically centered. I'm not saying it can't be enjoyable,but it's like a short movie that can be watched on You Tube rather than being an actual gaming experience. For me these are great,but their direction is more towards a movie rather than a video game.

What do I do once I buy that game and beat it easily? I can watch the cutscenes over and over again on Internet if I want,but I can't have the pleasure of playing it again and beating it so easily because..it simply doesn't give me any joy,any challenge.I played it,I beat it in 3-4 hours then I leave it on the bookshelf.

In our days visuals seem to fascinate people and trick them into thinking that the game is very good just by showing them pretty graphics and movie-like cutscenes,when in fact most of them are only centered around that and nothing more.

Sure,not all games are like that but the majority nowadays is and it's a pity.

GF9000000Returns

I think DMC4 is the worst now as a "whole game".

Is it safe for me to say that I at least like DMC2's story WAY better than DMC4's cliche trash despite the game being bad too?

i'm not so sure original dante had a high moral either. all he wanted to do was get paid and have some thrills. plus in DmC kat does mention JB when she says that pop stars are demons that enslave people with their music. and the whole illuminati concept dates back decades ago with the zombifing drinks and the evil business man who is a demon who runs the world. its used in supernatural. its used in comics. its used in movies. and i think after DMC3, the series thrived off of being a walking cliche with DMC3 and DMC4 dante was an anime cliche and in DmC he (along with the story) is a typical blockbuster summer movie cliche.

Heck, I would take any blockbuster summer movie cliche plot over a amime cliche one any day of the week. Still I thought the DMC3 and DMC1 stories were awesome, as I wouldn't mind any shonen-cliche plots AT ALL. I just don't like the "I gotta save mah boo so I can bang her later on" plot types, ala DMC4.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
DmC. :|

Because **** DmC. :|

Because DmC deserves to get ****ed. Repeatedly. With a big, knobbly stick. :|

Because I are orfended by wig joke. :|

EnJ

Shade
Is it safe for me to say that I at least like DMC2's story WAY better than DMC4's cliche trash despite the game being bad too?

DMC 2 story is also cliche. Almoste every japanese game had similar story. Onimusha for example. (even main antgonist looks similar)

GF9000000Returns

DMC 2 story is also cliche. Almoste every japanese game had similar story. Onimusha for example. (even main antgonist looks similar)

Like I said again, the only chiches I can't stand are the "save my girlfriend" ones and ones that have brothers fighting for little or no reason. Any other plots, I welcome.

And I'm not saying the story for Dante vs Vergil isn't dumb. Both of the rival stories (DMC3 and DmC) made sense.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Without resorting to passive-aggressive personal attacks on people who didn't enjoy DmC's style, like Unknown did, (without him even adding anything to the thread) I'd have to say DMC2, and DMC4 after that. I thought it was supremely lacking in gameplay, and the plot was pretty hackneyed. The characters were given shape very well, and the soundtrack wasn't awful. The atmosphere was also quite nice at times. The graphics were fairly good. Yeah, not great.

Top Bottom