• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why are people assuming that DMC5 is after DMC2?

VergilNeroDante

If anyone understood that the game literally takes place right after DMC4, in an interview even Hideaki Itsuno stated that the game is a direct sequel to DMC 4 so why are people assuming that the game is after 2?

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
That’s something that’s been made more aware to people now.

I’d say a combination of wishful thinking that it was set after 2 so we knew what happened to Dante (since the cliffhanger ending) and probably just people assuming it must’ve been after 2 since we all know that’s the last game in the series chronologically (therefore an older Dante) and Dante looking pretty old in 5’s trailer.

Not much else to it, really.

VergilNeroDante

That’s something that’s been made more aware to people now.

I’d say a combination of wishful thinking that it was set after 2 so we knew what happened to Dante (since the cliffhanger ending) and probably just people assuming it must’ve been after 2 since we all know that’s the last game in the series chronologically (therefore an older Dante) and Dante looking pretty old in 5’s trailer.

Not much else to it, really.
And thats all really about it, I understand due to the graphical changes and that Capcom went for a more photorealistic approach with the game but its downright bad that people are literally shoving this "false statement" down the throats of others and claiming it as fact even though the confirmation is literally right there in front of them

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Dante seemingly looking old and having attire and hairstyle very similar to DMC2 (all things, btw, that aren't even excluding DMC5 goes into 2, rather than being set after), as well as him riding a bike like he did in DMC2.

I was ready to believe it myself when I first watched the trailer but then that interview came. I'm totally cool with it being post DMC4 tbh.

windleopard

If it is a direct sequel to 4, then I think it's safe to say 2 has been stricken from continuity given Dante in 2 is not an old man.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
If it is a direct sequel to 4, then I think it's safe to say 2 has been stricken from continuity given Dante in 2 is not an old man.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. There's no way he looks younger than he does in 2.

3, 1, 4, 5... and probably a remake of 2 where Dante just goes full throttle in the depths of hell.

Oh... so kind of like the RE2 remake then.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
I feel like even if it is set after 2, they wouldn't tell people that outright.
That game is known as the black sheep of the series, it's bad PR.
Or they are saving it as a suprise, I mean we're getting spoiled for games and movies left and right it would be nice if they could keep some of that to themselves until the game comes out.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I just thought it was set after 2 because he debuted on a demonic-looking motorcycle. My mind just went "oh he picked up a motorcycle devil arm in his trip to hell' and that was that.

i'm probably wrong.

oh well:whistle:

windleopard

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. There's no way he looks younger than he does in 2.

3, 1, 4, 5... and probably a remake of 2 where Dante just goes full throttle in the depths of hell.

Oh... so kind of like the RE2 remake then.

I've never understood the logic of setting 2 at the canonical end of the series as a way of handling the fall out. It just creates this massive continuity headache now that 5 is supposed to take place before 2. Would it really have been so bad to just say 2 is after 1 but Trish briefly left Dante for a while? Capcom seems to really like convoluted timelines for their franchises judging by Street Fighter and Resident Evil as well.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Here's the deal. Dante just looks old and raggedy because his clothes are beat up, his hair is way longer, and that beard is unkept. We also know that the facial capture model they picked for Dante look far younger than that picture.

We don't have long to wait. In fact, this is going to be the shortest gap from announcement to release so we will see before long.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Because it would be absolute madness and continuity disaster to have 2 interquels squeezed between DMC 1&2 without even acknowledging DMC2's existence. If not DMC 5, then will DMC6 be set after DMC2? Just how old is dante in DMC2 anyway, 70 yrs old?

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I would be surprised if they acknowledge 2 at all really.

My initial hope was that it was set after 2. When I watched the trailer and saw Dante at the end on the bike I was thinking “Yeah, this is what I wanted to see. Dante coming back from Hell, still ready to kick even more demonic ass”. And then they say it’s set sometime after 4. Which I’m fine with. But I, too, will be extremely surprised if they do acknowledge DMC 2.

DMC 2 is like the DmC of DMC before DmC. If that even made any sense.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Compromise, what if the game is set after 4, but starts DURING the events of 2? Hear me out, maybe while Dante was fighting Arius and Argosax, Nero was off on his own little adventure, and Dante joins in later?
Let me dream people!
It would certainly give a valid reason as to why Nero would be fighting the invasion on his own.

And maybe after Dante journeyed to the very depths of Hell he discovered something about the new villain that caused him to rush back to the Human World maybe?

Top Bottom